PDA

View Full Version : What about a cornerback

steelerboiherb
08-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi guys im new to the board and would like to thank you all for good info that you guys post daily. Im wonder why wont the steelers go out and sign a vet cornerback who can cover? I think Kevin Hayden is still available what do guys think abt him? Surely he's better than Gay!!!!

steelerboiherb
08-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Also im sure Phili will be willing to trade Ashante Samuel for a draft pick (a 3rd pick in2012) he's worth that in my opinion and then lets see if were spreaded out like we were in the superbowl or against the patriots!!!! I think the move would be big.

stillers4me
08-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Welcome to SU!! :tt03:

It will be interesting to see how the secondary performs this year. It's definitely an area of concern, to say the least. Lot's of battles going on in training camp this year.

steelpride12
08-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Samuel wouldn't fit in our system simple as that. I think that is why we don't pick up CB's at will because of the defensive system and we have to find the perfect fit not just any big named guy.

Count Steeler
08-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Can't see us spending that kind of money for a vet CB. We have 4 valuable draft picks that need to step up soon. If none of these 4 can become a starter, we need to reconsider how we pick CBs.

Got a feeling Lake is going to do some good work with the tools he has. I'm looking forward to a positive start to this season in the secondary.

SteelerEmpire
08-14-2011, 10:40 AM
I think LeBeau stayed with Gay and McFadden because of the lockout. Anyone new (vet or rookie) to the system would struggle without enough adequate time training in it. You'd have a lot of missed assignments which would leave a WR wide open somewhere. Long story short, Gay and McFadden are the best bets until someone that could replace them "has the time" to learn LeBeau's system to replace one (or both) of them.

LLT
08-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi guys im new to the board and would like to thank you all for good info that you guys post daily. Im wonder why wont the steelers go out and sign a vet cornerback who can cover? I think Kevin Hayden is still available what do guys think abt him? Surely he's better than Gay!!!!

I think the simpliest answer is:

1) You can find CB's who who are good at Man coverage and CB's who are good at Zone coverage...but finding CB's who can play both is a little harder. Our problem is obviously that teams are lining up 4-5 recievers and then picking on our CB's who cant cover the reciever man-to-man.

2) We drafted two CB's this year that might have the potential to play both zone and man...and waiting for them to learn our system is probably a better option than paying a huge contract to an older player who is on the backside of their career. Either way they are going to take a year to learn the system and the older players skills should be declining as the younger players skills should be increasing.

The Duke
08-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Hayden is strictly Cover 2. We might show some Cover 2 from time to time, but he'd be worse than Gay in our system

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Samuel could use some tackling lessons if he wanted to join this team

steeldawg
08-14-2011, 02:49 PM
The simplest answer is we cant afford anyone worth taking right now. I think samuel would fit nice in our system, hes has great instincts and hes an int machine. Some say he doesnt fit the system but I find it hard to believe that he would not be an upgrade to gay or mcfadden. None of this matters of course because its pretty apparent that we are sticking with these guys, and they are just gonna have to get better.

86WARD
08-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Samuel could use some tackling lessons if he wanted to join this team

After Friday Night...this team can use them as well...he'd fit right in after that tackling performance...

The Eagles want a first round pick for Samuel btw...a third round pick wouldn't get it done...

katmandu
08-14-2011, 03:26 PM
its pretty apparent that we are sticking with these guys, and they are just gonna have to get better.Yea, but WHEN ?? The young bucks needs to start producing results like YESTERDAY!

Craic
08-14-2011, 03:32 PM

I think it's because you will find that as a nickelback CB, Gay is probably one of the better in the league. Despite the mismatch last year against the Patriots (which was LeBeau's fault, not his), he is not our problem at all. Our problem is a lack of a legitimate number 2 CB and someone that can fill in for a Number 2. Gay is becoming the scapegoat of the DB's, which is sad because last year, when you look at numbers, he outperformed most of them through the season, included pass defended.

SteelerFanInStl
08-14-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm still very concerned about our CBs besides Ike. Lewis continues to disappoint me. I just hope one of the other young guys can step up and be a #2 CB.

O'Malley
08-14-2011, 04:43 PM
I think the Steelers and Lake are holding back and will surprise many this season how much they will improve from last year. Why play your cards in the pre season. Let the league think we're still inept at CB... Then show them how Lake is the difference maker in the secondary... Or I could just be dreaming. We'll see.

86WARD
08-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Doubt it, but I hope you are right. Play like you practice right?

O'Malley
08-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Just trying to stay positive.... A healthy Troy would help as well.

86WARD
08-14-2011, 07:10 PM
If Brown and/or Butler could step up, they could be in good shape. If not, I'm a bit worried. I really have this feeling that Gay is going to be worse than last season...

Count Steeler
08-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Will be interesting to see McFadden in a game this pre season. Gay was not impressive, but who was?

steelpride12
08-14-2011, 10:47 PM
The Steelers are banking on Curtis Brown to step up and take the reigns. If he can get into the line up and impresses he could be the #3 or even #2 guy and seeing Ike, B-Mac, and Brown would be a much stronger line up.