PDA

View Full Version : After further review (Steelers/Redskins) …

stillers4me
08-14-2011, 08:14 AM
After watching the Steelers/Redskins preseason game on DVR, here are some observations …

We all heard of Camp Cupcake, right?

Well, try Camp Cupcake times 10 and that properly describes the training camp that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has put his veteran players through over the past two weeks at St. Vincent College.

It has been limited reps and even fewer live reps (we’re talking about one or two live plays per practice) for the old guys, and you wonder why the Redskins went up and down the field on the Steelers’ defense during the first two series of Friday’s first preseason game?...........

Read more @ http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/08/14/after-further-review/

Count Steeler
08-14-2011, 08:21 AM
No need to push the panic button just yet. 3 more pre-season games to get in game shape.

steelpride12
08-14-2011, 08:26 AM
It's hilarious seeing all the doom and gloom coming from everyone already after 1 stinkin' preseason game. The sky is falling.

tube517
08-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Steelers will go 0-16. Fire Tomlin now. Kevin Colbert should be replaced. LeBeau is finished. The Rooneys are the worst owners in all of football.

All after one (the first) preseason game. :chuckle:

fansince'76
08-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Steelers will go 0-16. Fire Tomlin now. Kevin Colbert should be replaced. LeBeau is finished. The Rooneys are the worst owners in all of football.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZYXLnq5dLVM/Ti2Nq70PuiI/AAAAAAAAB_I/Gb9mOm_TxxU/s1600/sky-is-falling.jpg

:chuckle:

Count Steeler
08-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Let's not forget, Sweed did not play. Therefore, the Steelers are 0-1 with Sweed not playing. Be interesting to see what happens next game.

Bluecoat96
08-14-2011, 10:09 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZYXLnq5dLVM/Ti2Nq70PuiI/AAAAAAAAB_I/Gb9mOm_TxxU/s1600/sky-is-falling.jpg

:chuckle:

Hey now....this is MY job! lol

fansince'76
08-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey now....this is MY job! lol

:sorry: :chuckle:

zulater
08-14-2011, 12:03 PM
My impression of the game the other night.
The game mattered to the Skins, they went in trying to measure themselves against a Super Bowl caliber opponent. The Steelers were only there because they were required to be there, they had no real interest in the game other than self preservation i.e. come out of the game without injury, which unfortunatelly didn't happen in the case of Ike Taylor.

Anyway other than being somewhat dissapointed in the performance of Jason Worldis, and Jonathan Dwyer I take nothing good or bad out of that game other than being glad it's over. When they kick off for real on
September 11 you'll see the real Steelers, and not a moment before.

O'Malley
08-14-2011, 12:20 PM
This happens every year. Vanilla D half the starters out and the rookies trial under fire. Three pre season games left. Cuts to come then the real football begins..

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2011, 12:50 PM
remember when the lions went 4-0 in preseason and 0-16 in the regular season?

steel striker
08-14-2011, 01:53 PM
I also remember a few years the raiders were 4-0 and, that did not mean anything. We were not the only team that did not look good and, it is pre season not time to panic. Plenty of time to get things corrected.

GBMelBlount
08-14-2011, 02:30 PM
remember when the lions went 4-0 in preseason and 0-16 in the regular season?

Good point....and conversely there are super bowl champions who have losing pre season records.

Zulater

The game mattered to the Skins, they went in trying to measure themselves against a Super Bowl caliber opponent.

The Steelers were only there because they were required to be there, they had no real interest in the game other than self preservation i.e. come out of the game without injury, which unfortunatelly didn't happen in the case of Ike Taylor.

While a preseason "W" is nice, it is really not the most important reason for these games imo.

We all heard of Camp Cupcake, right?

Well, try Camp Cupcake times 10 and that properly describes the training camp that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has put his veteran players through over the past two weeks at St. Vincent College.

If I am not mistaken Cowher went unusually easy on the team during training camp the season after winning the super bowl.

I do not understand this mentality.

BlastFurnace
08-14-2011, 02:55 PM
FS76...may remember this, but in 2008 after a preseason game against Buffalo, I was all up in arms about how Trent Edwards carved up our defense. Thought for sure we were headed for a terrible season defensively. Boy, was I wrong.
That may have been one of our best defensive teams that year.

If there is anything to be learned about Dick LeBeau's defense in August....it's very vanilla.

JayC
08-14-2011, 03:17 PM
score would been 70-3 us if sweed was playing

tube517
08-14-2011, 03:30 PM
score would been 70-3 us if sweed was playing

Sweed would've scored all 2 pt conversions too.

I'm on the bus too. :chuckle:

Edman
08-14-2011, 03:52 PM
I remember that 2008 preseason game vividly. The Bills were gathering chunks of yards both on the ground and in the air. Watching that game you would never expect that 2008 Defense to become what it did. The 2008 Steelers won the Super Bowl and the Bills amounted to nothing.

The Redskins were playing for preseason style points against the Steelers.

Steeldude
08-14-2011, 03:54 PM
If I am not mistaken Cowher went unusually easy on the team during training camp the season after winning the super bowl.

I do not understand this mentality.

they get lazy and acquire the "fat cat" syndrome

NCSteeler
08-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Skins starters played long after our D was shuffling in backups, I don't what there is to get excited about

HometownGal
08-15-2011, 05:52 AM

You forgot - fire Arians! :heh:

I didn't get to see the game but I'm not at all concerned after 1 preseason game where most of our starters played one or two series.