PDA

View Full Version : Great big Scott has shot at guard

stillers4me
08-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Chris Scott is one of the lucky ones. As a fifth-round draft choice in 2010, he could participate in offseason training activities, watch film and sit in on coaches meetings before he went to training camp.

Without that, he might not be where he is today -- on the verge of becoming the starting right guard for the Steelers.

"Being able to learn what I learned last year by sitting in the classroom, all of the time I was able to do that, was good for me," Scott said. "The coaches really focus on a lot of drill work and technique. Now rookies are getting thrown into the fire."............

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11224/1166811-66.stm

Edman
08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
With Maurkice Pouncey being an anchor in the middle, just about anyone can be plugged in at Right Guard.

XxKnightxX
08-12-2011, 10:32 AM
From what I hear is that he is a snowplow at guard. Getting younger and meaner on the line vim sure Kugler knows what he's doing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-12-2011, 11:35 AM
With Maurkice Pouncey being an anchor in the middle, just about anyone can be plugged in at Right Guard.

So, untrue.

Lets just say Terrence Cody lines up between Kemo and Pouncey, then Ngata shades inside of Colon and Ray Lewis blitzes the Steelers right side gap between G-C......can just anybody at right guard pick that up?? A lot of that happened in Kemo's first 2 years as a starter and he never made the block to protect Ben.

Same also if we put a light guy like Darnell Stapleton there to deal with big interior linemen and he gets blown away.

I think Scott is like Colon with longer arms and more height. Its why I thought he could play RT and Colon move inside to RG, but if its the other way around, Scott is a good run blocker, has the height and arm length to be a decent pass protector, but not at LT. If he pans out, its a big improvement at RG!!!!

The Duke
08-12-2011, 11:45 AM
I hope so! Who's our last draft pick, other than Pouncey, to start on this line?

Undrafted free agents have been kicking their asses for way too long, one has to step up. I love Leg and Foster, but I'd love them more as pure backups. They are good, but have some big deficiencies still

Hope Hills shows something too. At the very least be a swing tackle

7willBheaven
08-12-2011, 11:55 AM
I had a feeling this year that this kid would be the new RT or RG this year...hopefully he gets the job.

Psycho Ward 86
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
at least with Chris Scott, Legursky, Pouncey, and Foster, the interior O-line depth seems sufficient. Im pretty surprised to be hearing stuff about Chris Scott.

st33lersguy
08-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Let's hope he does really well so we don't have to watch Ramon Foster again

oneforthetoe
08-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Let's hope he does really well so we don't have to watch Ramon Foster again

I thought Foster did Ok last year. IMO, Foster is a better guard than the "Big Legursky" (obviously, Legursky is a decent backup at center). Still, if Scott is an upgrade over Foster then that would be great. Scott can start at RG and Foster can backup both guard positions and maybe RT.

Flexibility is important on game day. If Scott, Kemo, Pouncy, Scott and Colon are the starters, then Foster, Legursky and somebody we trust at LT would be the backups on game day.

The question is who is the backup LT?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-12-2011, 02:51 PM
I thought Foster did Ok last year. IMO, Foster is a better guard than the "Big Legursky" (obviously, Legursky is a decent backup at center). Still, if Scott is an upgrade over Foster then that would be great. Scott can start at RG and Foster can backup both guard positions and maybe RT.

Flexibility is important on game day. If Scott, Kemo, Pouncy, Scott and Colon are the starters, then Foster, Legursky and somebody we trust at LT would be the backups on game day.

I think Foster did ok too, but while he is a mauler, he is heavy footed and not that agile. Which is why I was surprised that many on this board kept thinking of him as a RT option. IMO, Scott has better feet and can be more athletic than Foster, while giving the same run blocking ability.

Sadly, I think Hills becomes the backup at LT.

7willBheaven
08-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Hills is the backup LT/RT...and on game day Legs and Hills would dress...unless they have someone else who can play T...they only dress 2 on game day usually...unless they short another position for some games.

oneforthetoe
08-12-2011, 03:00 PM
I think Foster did ok too, but while he is a mauler, he is heavy footed and not that agile. Which is why I was surprised that many on this board kept thinking of him as a RT option. IMO, Scott has better feet and can be more athletic than Foster, while giving the same run blocking ability.

Sadly, I think Hills becomes the backup at LT.

That is where I was headed as well because I don't see many other options, save for maybe bringing Starks or Flo back at backup rate.

oneforthetoe
08-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Hills is the backup LT/RT...and on game day Legs and Hills would dress...unless they have someone else who can play T...they only dress 2 on game day usually...unless they short another position for some games.

I remember that last year we only dressed 7 on game day ..... and that scared the hell out of me. The way our tackles were going down last season, I am hoping that we might dress 8 this season.

The Duke
08-12-2011, 03:51 PM
I remember that last year we only dressed 7 on game day ..... and that scared the hell out of me. The way our tackles were going down last season, I am hoping that we might dress 8 this season.

I hope so too. Especially in September!

I'm still holding out hope either Starks or Flozell is resigned and Hills is just an emergency 4th tackle. Flo won't get a better opportunity out there so he might as well come back for one last chance, even if it is as a backup. As we saw last year, backup WILL play a lot

Chidi29
08-12-2011, 05:18 PM
So, untrue.

Lets just say Terrence Cody lines up between Kemo and Pouncey, then Ngata shades inside of Colon and Ray Lewis blitzes the Steelers right side gap between G-C......can just anybody at right guard pick that up?? A lot of that happened in Kemo's first 2 years as a starter and he never made the block to protect Ben.

Same also if we put a light guy like Darnell Stapleton there to deal with big interior linemen and he gets blown away.

I think Scott is like Colon with longer arms and more height. Its why I thought he could play RT and Colon move inside to RG, but if its the other way around, Scott is a good run blocker, has the height and arm length to be a decent pass protector, but not at LT. If he pans out, its a big improvement at RG!!!!

spot on analysis.

Plus, I'd love to pull from the right side more often. The few times we did it last year, Heath would lead the way. He's a great blocker for a tight end but that is a sad reflection on the right side of the line.