PDA

View Full Version : Ravens sign Mark Bulger

tony hipchest
06-23-2010, 05:07 PM
i hate to say it, but this is a perfect insurance signing for them. they obviously think they will be superbowl favorites and if anything happens to flacco, plan b is in place.

i know people think that bulger sucks, but really its the rams that suck.

steeldevil
06-23-2010, 05:16 PM
I dont know why he lasted that long on the market. He can definately be an asset to a contending team as a backup. Unfortunately, this is a great pickup for the rats...

The Duke
06-23-2010, 05:50 PM
OK, now that is a great signing! I've always loved Bulger. Will hate seeing him in those colors, but he is a perfect backup.

Nice job rats

This is the end of the line for john beck. Or is it for troy smith?....

I dont know why he lasted that long on the market.

beats me....

tony hipchest
06-23-2010, 05:52 PM
troy smith = pile of shit.

his career (other than UFL or arena ball) is done.

Killer
06-23-2010, 05:52 PM
$3.8M for a back-up?

ho ho ho

Unibrow will be pulled early if his downslide continues

The Duke
06-23-2010, 05:58 PM
troy smith = pile of shit.

his career (other than UFL or arena ball) is done.

yeah, but beck isn't that much better either

At leasy they can run some wildcat shit with smith....

steeldevil
06-23-2010, 06:00 PM
$3.8M for a back-up?

ho ho ho

wow i didnt think about that, but hey, that could be their intentions.

they dont know how Flacco will handle his new high flying offense(supposedly). Maybe they brought in Bulger because they know he has experience with that kind of offense??? Maybe he will be given a chance if Flacco cant handle the heat??? Maybe they think their chance to win it all is closing and are going for it all this year and think Bulger can do it for them??? Very interesting know that I think about it like that...

NJarhead
06-23-2010, 06:00 PM
i hate to say it, but this is a perfect insurance signing for them. they obviously think they will be superbowl favorites and if anything happens to flacco, plan b is in place.

i know people think that bulger sucks, but really its the rams that suck.

Agreed. No one can argue that there are worse options out there for back up QB.

NJarhead
06-23-2010, 06:01 PM
$3.8M for a back-up?

ho ho ho

Down slide?

Killer
06-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Flacco is overrated.

He chokes under pressure.

steelpride12
06-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Oh well ovbiosuly good pick up for the Rats. They seem pretty confident this season is going to be "it" and rightfully so...Well until they meet us in January under the lights at Heinz Field.

kmsteelerwr15
06-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Oh well ovbiosuly good pick up for the Rats. They seem pretty confident this season is going to be "it" and rightfully so...Well until they meet us in January under the lights at Heinz Field.

Don't see that happening anytime soon. They will protest against it, but to get back on topic, it's a solid sign for the Ravens.

Hindes204
06-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Damn, that really is a good pickup for them. Thier front office has been impressive lately, they are really trying to build something over there. It'll just make it that much more fun to rain on thier parade and kick the shit out of them

HughC
06-23-2010, 11:48 PM
$3.8 million for a backup QB?

That screams of "we don't trust our starter" in my opinion.

Galax Steeler
06-24-2010, 04:07 AM
Not a bad pickup I guess Flacco better play lights out because Bulger can still play ball.

steelpride12
06-24-2010, 09:46 AM

That is a lot, but Bulger is a solid vet and I think he deserves that money as a back up.

NJarhead
06-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Flacco is overrated.

He chokes under pressure.

I tend to disagree Killer. I think he's underrated and is no more/less susceptible to pressure than any other (barring the elite, which he is clearly not).

NJarhead
06-24-2010, 10:21 AM

Nope: It's an insurance policy and confirms that the Ravens believe they have a winning team. It could be money well spent in their run should Flacco go down for a few weeks. Plus, they have the o-line to give Bulger the protection he needs.

st33lersguy
06-24-2010, 10:32 AM
That aquisition sucks.....for us steeler fans, Bulger will be a solid backup for them and maybe can still play now that he has a better supporting cast

suitanim
06-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Not too worried about this...Bulger has put up QBR numbers worse than Kordell since the injury bug started plaguing him...and almost 4 million a year is an ass raping.

NJarhead
06-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Not too worried about this...Bulger has put up QBR numbers worse than Kordell since the injury bug started plaguing him...and almost 4 million a year is an ass raping.
My theory on Kordell is that he was lazy every OTHER year and he didn't always have great WR's.

steelerdude15
06-24-2010, 12:17 PM
I guess it brings in experience. :noidea:

Psycho Ward 86
06-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Damn. This is perfect for the Ravens. Flacco is going to get a whole lot better with all of these new weapons AND a vet QB and former pro-bowler taking him under his wing.

Crow-Magnon
06-24-2010, 04:54 PM
It is interesting to hear another AFCN team's fans perspective on the Bulger signing. I for one feel like (what it appears to me) most of you do- it is an insurance signing for a team that plans to go deep in the upcoming season. Troy Smith sealed his fate with his whining and crying (saying he'd crawl to Cleveland). I believe another team will trade for Smith (he can play the Wildcat rather decently) and Bulger will be the #2 QB with Beck (good, but limited experience) as the #3.

I don't really get the "Flacco chokes" and the "downslide" comments. There have not been many QB's who went to the AFCC and a Divisional Playoff in their first two years. You have to remember, he was slated to be the #3 quarterback in 2008 behind Boller and Smith, and with two weeks left before Week 1 he was thrust into the starter's role. And with such a gifted stable of receivers :toofunny:, he's still done rather well. But if you have no one who can get open over the middle, and your WR's can only run cut-back routes to the sidelines because they can't get seperation, there ain't much Flacco or most QB's can do. Trust me, I am not saying that Joe is an NFL Elite QB that can pick you apart ala' Manning, but he's a damned good QB about to begin his third year and he now has several receivers that (hopefully) will get open and catch the damned ball. But should the Ravens be 5-1 or 4-2 and Flacco gets banged up, it makes sense to have a QB with the experience and skills of Bulger taking snaps vs. Smith. At least it does to me.

Bulger's numbers are down recently because the Rams are totally pathetic.

tony hipchest
06-24-2010, 06:28 PM
ravens also sign 49ers walt harris to a 1 year deal. if hes healthy, he is good (former pro-bowler). couple him with ken hamlin and they are definitely taking the steps to address their porous secondary.

bulgers deal could reach 5 million if incentives are met. not only is this good insurance, but perhaps they dont want flacco thinking he already has the keys to the town. looking over his shoulder and seeing competition should be good for him, and hes young enough that he still should be receptive to any tutoring or mentorship.

Killer
06-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Down slide?

You wanna stroke your Ratbird heros?

What kind of a Steelers fan are you?

suitanim
06-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Seems like much ado about not much. It's a relative minor signing in the big picture. With the disenfranchisement of Smith, they needed a back-up...and Bulger was the top of the schlop pile, which includes such notables as completely washed-up Mark Brunell, Todd Collins, Dante Culpepper, Jeff Garcia, Josh McCown, Patrick Ramsey, and Brian St. Pierre.

The only thing that could be said for this signing is that in that kind of shitty company, the Rats probably could have signed him for less...maybe a lot less.