PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp tradition

Devilsdancefloor
08-09-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure exactly when the tradition started, but for at least the past 30 years, rookies wearing the black-and-gold at Steelers training camp in Latrobe have been at the mercy of veterans not just on the practice field, but also after practice has ended and it's time to wind down over food and much-needed relaxation.

Imagine finishing up a long, grueling day of practice in the intense summer heat of late August, quickly showering and then heading to the dining hall at St. Vincent's College for a much-needed dinner. After inhaling thousands of calories, you're ready to head back to the dorms for some video games and some studying of the playbook. But wait, where you think you're going rookie? The veterans need some post-meal entertainment. That's where you come in. Time to sing.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/7/2345259/steelers-training-camp-traiditions-history-baron-batch-craig-wolfley-tunch-ilkin-mean-joe-greene#storyjump

Butch
08-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Lookin' for but haven't found yet...the story of Jack Lambert. He was asked to do it and refused...when some players asked Joe Greene about it he said "I guess he doesn't want to sing" and that was the end of it.

Chidi29
08-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Lookin' for but haven't found yet...the story of Jack Lambert. He was asked to do it and refused...when some players asked Joe Greene about it he said "I guess he doesn't want to sing" and that was the end of it.

Here you go.

http://books.google.com/books?id=27LFH_LfQZ0C&pg=PT138&lpg=PT138&dq=jack+lambert+rookie+singing&source=bl&ots=9PPJ8yGj4t&sig=Zb5pawS0YZ1Mgd5KnmKc36jscuI&hl=en&ei=c95BTsP0B7C40gHghNGsCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=jack%20lambert%20rookie%20singing&f=false

Butch
08-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Thank you Sir!!!

They broke the mold when they made Jack.

Chidi29
08-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Thank you Sir!!!

They broke the mold when they made Jack.

Certainly did. I still chuckle everytime I see the clip of him as a rookie walking into training camp. This lanky guy who looked nothing like a MLB is one of the most feared players of all time.