PDA

View Full Version : A concern I have with the Steelers

Rion
08-08-2011, 08:07 AM
I love watching Woodley and Harrison coming off the edge in pass rush. But it seems they are paying a steep price to have them on the team and that is less money they can spend on the secondary. With such a pass happy league it has me thinking. I know the Steelers will be able to beat most teams with this dominant pass rush philosophy, but it concerns me when pass happy teams like the Patriots and Packers can pass all over the Steelers. To me it seems like they should focus on strengthening the secondary and spending more money there. Just wondering what your thoughts are about this?

X-Terminator
08-08-2011, 08:40 AM
You will have a lot of people agree with you on this one. I know everyone loves Wood and Deebo too, but our linebackers are pretty much a "plug and play" group. I'm not saying you can throw anyone in there and have them be successful, but they can continually draft talented linebackers, teach them the ropes and then turn them loose. The secondary has been their Achilles' heel for a decade now, and every team in the league knows it. I think it's long overdue that they spend a little more money on the secondary, because if you put an above-average secondary behind that dominant pass rush and run defense, it will make them so much better than they already are.

steelpride12
08-08-2011, 08:44 AM
The Steelers know this already, but it's a Pittsburgh thing to draft high talent LB'ers in the draft and turn them into high end pass rushers when the time comes. I don't think we ever fixed the matter because the Steelers still had success recently without the best secondary in the league winning 2 Super Bowls in 3 years is impressive without it, but yes after the Packers SB loss it now shows that Pittsburgh has to fix their secondary in a league that is beginning to thrive on passing only. Curtis Brown could be that answer someday.

86WARD
08-08-2011, 08:46 AM
But they aren't really plug and play. If you want average to below average for a Steelers OLB then yes, they are plug and play. Are you suggesting that Woodley ='s Haggans? Woodley is a play maker. Play makers get paid. Who would they have signed with Woodley's money?

The contract they gave Woodley is friendlier than Hali and Wimbley and is about the going rate.

X-Terminator
08-08-2011, 08:54 AM
But they aren't really plug and play. If you want average to below average for a Steelers OLB then yes, they are plug and play. Are you suggesting that Woodley ='s Haggans? Woodley is a play maker. Play makers get paid. Who would they have signed with Woodley's money?

The contract they gave Woodley is friendlier than Hali and Wimbley and is about the going rate.

That's why I said I wasn't suggesting they throw anyone in there, and that they draft talented linebackers to fill those positions. So going by that, it is indeed a "plug and play" group. They just draft the next talented LB and mold him into a superstar, the same as they've done for the past 20 years. And, of course, I never said that Woodley shouldn't have gotten paid. He definitely should have, and I like that it is a cap-friendly deal.

suitanim
08-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Both these guys also have pretty decent drop-and-cover skills. It's what makes them special, and so effective in LeBeau's 3-4. Some of the negative Nellie's will tell you that their skills are NOT that great, but it's unrealistic to expect 250 LBers to be locking down the opposing teams top WR's. That's not what this is about...it's about situationally dropping into a zone coverage and disrupting passing lanes, or blanketing TE's. Both are pretty decent at that facet of the game as well. I remember when people started bagging on Porter whe his sacks dropped off a bit, but what they didn't realize was that he was doing a LOT more in the 3-4. He, like Harrison and Wood now, are complete 3-4 OLB's.

tube517
08-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Both these guys also have pretty decent drop-and-cover skills. It's what makes them special, and so effective in LeBeau's 3-4. Some of the negative Nellie's will tell you that their skills are NOT that great, but it's unrealistic to expect 250 LBers to be locking down the opposing teams top WR's. That's not what this is about...it's about situationally dropping into a zone coverage and disrupting passing lanes, or blanketing TE's. Both are pretty decent at that facet of the game as well. I remember when people started bagging on Porter whe his sacks dropped off a bit, but what they didn't realize was that he was doing a LOT more in the 3-4. He, like Harrison and Wood now, are complete 3-4 OLB's.

QFT (Quoted for truth)!

This has been the philosophy since 1992 when Cowher took over. They laid out this plan with Cowher, LeBeau, Capers and Marvin Lewis. Nearly 20 years and they have had so much success. Yeah, we would all like to see an all star def backfield but that isn't the way they draft. BUT, I just hope this last draft was successful w/the DBs we got though.

steelpride12
08-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Have to agree on that one. Anyone who expects line backers to go out and cover receivers like CB's are wrong. Being a LBer doesn't mean you have to get 20 sacks a season it means plugging the holes, getting pressure, and also dropping back into coverage or zone on TE's and slot receivers.

SteelerEmpire
08-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Actually the secondary has done pretty well (beginning the 2nd half of last season) against "above average" and below QB's. However, QB's on the level of Brady, Brees and Rogers have eaten up the secondary alive. We'll have to be able to shut down elite QB's (like the line can shut down "elite" RB's) before championship confidence can be put in the secondary...

steelpride12
08-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Actually the secondary has done pretty well (beginning the 2nd half of last season) against "above average" and below QB's. However, QB's on the level of Brady, Brees and Rogers have eaten up the secondary alive. We'll have to be able to shut down elite QB's (like the line can shut down "elite" RB's) before championship confidence can be put in the secondary...Yes the elite QB's have def. torn our secondary apart, but that doesn't mean the Steelers will address anything because they did win the championship in 05' getting past Peyton Manning and in 08' when they beat Kurt Warner who was having one hell of a season. The league has evolved into a pass happy one and I think it will progressively become harder to win with Gay in the nickle position. Which is why Im excited for Curtis Brown I think the kid has a spot on this team.

TMC
08-08-2011, 10:34 AM
As I stated in the other thread, this outside linebacking spot is absolutely not plug-and-play. The Steelers have had 6 outside linebackers start over the past 12 years, three on each side. On the left side, Gildon took over for Kevin Greene, but Gildon was in the system 2 years before he was ready. When Gildon's time was up, Haggans was ready. He inked his 2nd deal before ever being named the starter. He was in the system for 4 seasons before he was ready. When he left, Woodley took over, who had been in the system a year. Woodley was special, needed less time to get it.

On the right side, Carlos Emmons replaced Greg Lloyd. Emmons was in the system 2 seasons. He played 2 and was replaced by Porter in 2000. Porter sat his first season, but like Woodley, he was special. Porter was cut and replaced by Harrison, who had been in the system 4 years (off and on). The Steelers were so worried about the OLB position at that time, they spent their first two draft picks on the spot. One turned out, one was moved because he did not fit. Timmons was a failure at OLB. Thankfully, he fits inside.

But, in that time frame, you have guys like Bruce Davis, Alonzo Jackson, and other draft picks that simple sucked. The Steelers have successful LBs because they spent big investments there during the draft and then take the time to make them great.

The Steelers have also made considerable investments in the secondary. Ike Taylor's deal is only $3M a season cheaper than Woodley's and he is 30-something and could hit the wall before the end of his deal. Polamalu was the highest paid safety in the NFL when he signed. To add to that, they have drafted plenty of guys, including various 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders. Ryan Clark did not come cheap ($4M per). The real problem is, everyone wants the Steelers to make a splash, like with Asomugha, Samuels, Cromartie, or the like. The thing is, If LeBeau was asking for one of those guys, I would think that Colbert and Tomlin would, at the least, entertain the idea. Maybe the better question is, why do the Steelers not entertain better corners?

X-Terminator
08-08-2011, 10:45 AM
As I stated in the other thread, this outside linebacking spot is absolutely not plug-and-play. The Steelers have had 6 outside linebackers start over the past 12 years, three on each side. On the left side, Gildon took over for Kevin Greene, but Gildon was in the system 2 years before he was ready. When Gildon's time was up, Haggans was ready. He inked his 2nd deal before ever being named the starter. He was in the system for 4 seasons before he was ready. When he left, Woodley took over, who had been in the system a year. Woodley was special, needed less time to get it.

On the right side, Carlos Emmons replaced Greg Lloyd. Emmons was in the system 2 seasons. He played 2 and was replaced by Porter in 2000. Porter sat his first season, but like Woodley, he was special. Porter was cut and replaced by Harrison, who had been in the system 4 years (off and on). The Steelers were so worried about the OLB position at that time, they spent their first two draft picks on the spot. One turned out, one was moved because he did not fit. Timmons was a failure at OLB. Thankfully, he fits inside.

But, in that time frame, you have guys like Bruce Davis, Alonzo Jackson, and other draft picks that simple sucked. The Steelers have successful LBs because they spent big investments there during the draft and then take the time to make them great.

The Steelers have also made considerable investments in the secondary. Ike Taylor's deal is only $3M a season cheaper than Woodley's and he is 30-something and could hit the wall before the end of his deal. Polamalu was the highest paid safety in the NFL when he signed. To add to that, they have drafted plenty of guys, including various 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders. Ryan Clark did not come cheap ($4M per). The real problem is, everyone wants the Steelers to make a splash, like with Asomugha, Samuels, Cromartie, or the like. The thing is, If LeBeau was asking for one of those guys, I would think that Colbert and Tomlin would, at the least, entertain the idea. Maybe the better question is, why do the Steelers not entertain better corners?

It's "plug and play" for the reasons you stated. When one guy moves on, the next guy they've drafted and groomed takes over. You seem to think I mean that they can just plug anyone in there and they'll be successful - that isn't at all what I'm saying. OK, how about this - instead of "plug and play," it's a position they continually draft for and develop since it is such an important position on defense. And as a result, they make the big bucks.

That leads me to your question...why don't they entertain better corners? I think it's because they don't believe they fit the system that they run. Not every corner can play in their version of the 3-4 defense. The corners are expected to be good in run support and solid tacklers, and maybe some of those elite guys are weak in one or the other, or both.

TMC
08-08-2011, 11:27 AM
But, what you seem to miss, it takes considerable resources to get those guys into the system. The Porter era ended in 2006 with Haggans ending the following season. Since 2006, the Steelers have spent 1-1st, 2-2nds, a 3rd, 4th, and 5th on outside linebackers. This just came across my twitter:
"Keith Butler told @Ken_Laird that he hopes Worilds takes the option of moving Timmons outside in case of emergency off the table soon."

Butler does not have enough faith in Worilds right now to not worry about having to move Timmons over if there is an injury. Simply translated, Worilds is not ready to even be trusted as the primary backup. Maybe if the OLB position was not getting in a bad situation in 2007, they spend the first round pick on Leon Hall, Aaron Ross, or Ben Grubbs. Maybe they spend the 3rd the following season elsewhere instead of taking Bruce Davis. Maybe they hit on a DE instead and do not spend two 1sts there in later drafts, spending them on OL or CB.

But, if you give away your talent and always have it hinging on unproven guys, and they falter, you overspend to correct the issue. When Porter and Haggans had one year left, they had nothing proven behind them and panicked. They have still flooded the position with picks because they lack depth.

As for the corner spot, I completely agree. We play a lot of zone, mainly a triangle zone, and zone coverage guys are the absolute hardest to find. Most corners coming out of college are man corners. Most high end free agents are man guys. Few are truly elite at both.

steelerfan
08-08-2011, 11:47 AM
It's just " Plug & Play " ? Really, it's that easy ? No! It takes a good head on your shoulders to play OLB in our system. There are MANY different things you have to do. It's just NOT Pass rushing ability, or being a great Athlete that is important. If it were, then lets talk " Huey Richardson, Steven Conley, Alonzo Jackson, Bruce Davidson, ect, ect.

It is defenitely not " Plug & Play "

86WARD
08-08-2011, 12:29 PM
It's clearly NOT plug and play. Unless you consider a drop off in production and talent "play.". It takes a certain player to be successful in a Steelers scheme...the case has been made several times in several days that has made it clear that it's not.

X-Terminator
08-08-2011, 12:40 PM
OK, OK! Sheesh, I was just making a point. I wasn't expecting the entire freaking board to come down on me! :doh: Just forget I said anything then.

suitanim
08-08-2011, 12:49 PM
OK, OK! Sheesh, I was just making a point. I wasn't expecting the entire freaking board to come down on me! :doh: Just forget I said anything then.

I didn't think it was you they were talking about. At least two other people are strongly on the side of saying that the Steelers system is so LB friendly that anyone could put up Woodley's numbers.

X-Terminator
08-08-2011, 01:02 PM
I didn't think it was you they were talking about. At least two other people are strongly on the side of saying that the Steelers system is so LB friendly that anyone could put up Woodley's numbers.

Well I strongly disagree with that and I thought I made that clear, but I guess not.

Psycho Ward 86
08-08-2011, 01:18 PM
DO NOT take the linebackers in this system for granted.

Steeldude
08-08-2011, 01:19 PM

don't let the woodley fans get to you : ) too many fans become emotionally attached to players.

it's plug-n-play. can anyone list one starting OLB who failed in this scheme? if woodley was let go the next LB would step in and pretty much produce the same results at a cheaper price. people think we are saying place any slab of matter at LB and it will work. IMO, woodley is not that great. i know the rah-rah fans think everyone is great : )

how many starting CBs have failed or played poorly? too many. how many starting QBs have failed? kordell anyone? if they don't want to agree that OLBs in this scheme are plug-n-play then they should agree it's closer to being plug-n-play than CBs and QBs.

the steelers give a large part of the cap to woodley. what's left for the O-line? oh that's right, we had to let 2010's starting tackles go. that's ok, i am sure scott will do well...lol

Psycho Ward 86
08-08-2011, 01:28 PM
don't let the woodley fans get to you : ) too many fans become emotionally attached to players.

Apparently in this case, Worilds and Baraka Atkins. Don't jump on that bandwagon quite yet lol.

suitanim
08-08-2011, 01:33 PM
don't let the woodley fans get to you : )

Yes, don't listen to people who think that players the Steelers sign can actually play their positions.

Christ, I've NEVER met a more negative "fan". Do you like ANY of the players on the Steelers? In fact, is there anything about this team that you like or enjoy?

BlastFurnace
08-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Every team that has torn the Steelers secondary apart has been a team that can spread the Steelers out. The Steelers have shut down Elite QB's during the past 20 years. The QB's that have given us trouble over the years...Elway, Brady, Rodgers have all had one thing in common, they can spread the defense out. Yes, an elite QB helps matters in that you can't put a Matt Cassell in for Tom Brady, circa 2008, and expect the same results, but the "template" is out there. Even Warner had a nice 2nd half against the Steelers in the Super Bowl, when he began spreading out the defense. Brady will do it again this season, because it works and the Steelers do't have an answer on how to stop him.

I don't think you can plug n' play with the OLB's in the defense. The difference in play from Porter/Haggans to Harrison/Woodley is huge.

st33lersguy
08-08-2011, 03:21 PM
A good pass rush helps out a secondary. The problem is LeBeau sometimes likes to get soft and use some form of prevent defense against these passing teams

TMC
08-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Well I strongly disagree with that and I thought I made that clear, but I guess not.

Hey, not upset with you, I just do not agree with the term plug-and-play. I do agree with your assessment on CBs though. Once of the reasons that the Steelers do not chase many of the free agents is they do not fit the criteria LeBeau wants in a corner.

it's plug-n-play. can anyone list one starting OLB who failed in this scheme? if woodley was let go the next LB would step in and pretty much produce the same results at a cheaper price. people think we are saying place any slab of matter at LB and it will work. IMO, woodley is not that great. i know the rah-rah fans think everyone is great : )

how many starting CBs have failed or played poorly? too many. how many starting QBs have failed? kordell anyone? if they don't want to agree that OLBs in this scheme are plug-n-play then they should agree it's closer to being plug-n-play than CBs and QBs.

the steelers give a large part of the cap to woodley. what's left for the O-line? oh that's right, we had to let 2010's starting tackles go. that's ok, i am sure scott will do well...lol

They did not let the 2010 starting tackles go. Either way you slice it, they allowed one to go, not two. Adams was a replacement for Colon, who is still here. Scott is a replacement for Starks, who was released because of his injury and being close to 400 pounds.

As for outside linebackers failing, Emmons started for 2 years and had 9.5 sacks for those two seasons. His best season was 6 sacks. Haggans had one season with 9 sacks and never topped 6 in any other. Pedestrian really. Greg Lloyd, as much as everyone loved him, had more than 6.5 sacks in a season ONCE in this system. And, these guys were in the system for years before any of them had the chance to start. See, everyone has forgotten the days of Greg Lloyd coming back from injury and getting 3.5 sacks in 12 games with Donta Jones starting the other 4 and amassing none. Gildon on the other side, not yet seasoned, gets 5. So, the pair of starting OLBs amass 8.5 sacks. It is easy to forget when your current starters are averaging over 20 sacks per season, easily double the totals of the earlier guys.

And, if it was truly plug-and-play, why can't you just plug in a linebacker? Instead, people point to the "starters" failing. Yet, they fail to take into account the measures made to prep those "starters". The Steelers spend draft picks to get those guys in and then spend YEARS bringing them up to speed. They have made the transition from one OLB to another 3 times per side in 12 years. Why such little turnover and such large contracts IF they are so easily replaced? When Gildon inked, it was the largest contract ever for an OLB. Same with Harrison. Porter and Woodley's contracts were upper end deals. If the talent was not there with those players and it was easy to find replacements, why would the Steelers front office EVER allow this?

The answer...it just is not that easy. It is not that easy at QB or CB either. It really is not that easy at any position. If it were, the NFL would not bring in roughly 1000 rookies each year and cut 75% of them. If it were that easy, they would gladly keep the cheap talent over the veterans.

What is funny, they let Woodley walk and he inks with Baltimore, then you have Willie Colon trying to stop him twice a year. That would be grand.

Chidi29
08-08-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm glad we're talking about the secondary...

I wrote this the other day on another forum with a poster asking, "How to fix the secondary?"

-------------------

For those who think our secondary is broken, then the best solution would be to get rid of Dick LeBeau and hire a new DC with completely different ideas. After all, the scheme all stems from him.

Don't forget that we've still won two Super Bowls and been to another with LeBeau at the helm.

If you don't like the secondary and wanted a complete overhaul, so many components are going to change. Unintended consequences always occur.

Exotic zone blitzes, a staple of LeBeau, would be much less frequent. Maybe nonexistent.

You can't play press man coverage when attempting a fire zone blitz and not expect to get burned quite a bit. You have to play off so that if the blitz is picked up, the QB extends the play, whatever the case may be, you don't give up fifty yard touchdown.

Teams that play a lot of press tend to play a lot of Cover 2 because the corners are often underneath and can chuck or they're playing man coverage. Of course, those teams aren't frequent blitzing teams. They get their pass rush from their front four. Think of teams like the Colts with Freeney and Mathis or the early decade Bucs with Rice and Sapp.

If you're looking for more ball-hawking corners, then you're likely to lose the great run support and solid tackling our secondary brings. You're not going to be able to field three or four well-rounded corners. It's just not feasible and when you do it, you're either giving up trading chips or shelling out a lot of cash.

As a whole, you won't be as good against the run. It's an eleven man job on this team. Who on the squad is bad against the run? No one. Change it and next year you'll have people exclaiming, "how do we fix our run defense?"

You're not going to be able to field all-stars at every position. Again, not possible. You have to figure out what positions are the most important to your team and build around them. On a pressure based, stop the run scheme, corners don't fall high on that list.

I realize that we've had our fair share of difficulty with teams like Green Bay and New England. But this defense works so well against nearly all the other teams in the league. No matter what defense you play, there will be teams who match up well.

At the same time, I want the team to continue to improve. No matter what happened last year, there's always room for improvement.

The biggest thing I'd work on is the secondary being able to change on the fly. If you look at some of the big plays we've allowed, they've been off of motion by the opposing offense. That may be because the scheme can be so exotic, any last second changes are tough to communicate and wires get crossed. The second meeting against Baltimore is a great example. Stallworth's and Boldin's catches are examples of that. Gronkowski's long TD in the New England game is another.

Really boils down to knowing the playbook inside and out.

Frankly, not a lot I think you can change with the secondary. At least, not without ruining the rest of the defense.

steelpride12
08-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Honestly though the LBer position is no concern right now for the Steelers. We inked our long termed guys and we have youngsters in the wings waiting for their chance to shine. Let's turn our heads to the secondary and attempt to figure that out.

Chidi29
08-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Honestly though the LBer position is no concern right now for the Steelers. We inked our long termed guys and we have youngsters in the wings waiting for their chance to shine. Let's turn our heads to the secondary and attempt to figure that out.

How do you suggest we figure it out?

steelpride12
08-08-2011, 06:25 PM
How do you suggest we figure it out?
Not us I just mean it's an overall team concern and the biggest IMO right now not the LBers.

Psycho Ward 86
08-08-2011, 06:35 PM

There are never enough linebackers in a 3-4. Assume Harrison goes out for the season on a back injury. That probably means Woodley slides over to Harrison's side at OLB, and who goes to Woodley's spot? Maybe Worilds? Not sure how many of us are comfortable with him starting. If he's not ready, Timmons slides to OLB, leaving an ILB spot vacant for either Sylvester or Foote, whose far passed his prime and i believe Steeldude has given sourced evidence that Foote was the most burned linebacker the last time he started a full season.

One injury changes a lot.

Chidi29
08-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Not us I just mean it's an overall team concern and the biggest IMO right now not the LBers.

I know. I'm just asking your opinion.

steelpride12
08-08-2011, 06:39 PM
There are never enough linebackers in a 3-4. Assume Harrison goes out for the season on a back injury. That probably means Woodley slides over to Harrison's side at OLB, and who goes to Woodley's spot? Maybe Worilds? Not sure how many of us are comfortable with him starting. If he's not ready, Timmons slides to OLB, leaving an ILB spot vacant for either Sylvester or Foote, whose far passed his prime and i believe Steeldude has given sourced evidence that Foote was the most burned linebacker the last time he started a full season.

One injury changes a lot.

You're 100% correct with this statement and of course injuries change everything no matter the team. My point was just that IMO I feel the secondary is more cause for concern as it has been for years, than the LBers at this time. At least the LB'ers have young back ups who can fill the void like Worlids, but the secondary when one player goes down we are in deep trouble and not to mention other than Ike and B-Mac we don't have much skill unless Gay is in the nickel.

steelpride12
08-08-2011, 06:40 PM
I know. I'm just asking your opinion.
Well right now I mean I'm not sure our options. We did draft Curtis Brown who has the strongest chance of becoming a starter or at least a quality back up on the team, but we don't have the cap space to be paying the big bucks on a free agent, if any are even left.

Psycho Ward 86
08-08-2011, 06:51 PM
At least the LB'ers have young back ups who can fill the void like Worlids, but the secondary when one player goes down we are in deep trouble and not to mention other than Ike and B-Mac we don't have much skill unless Gay is in the nickel.

Worilds can fill the void? I didnt learn much about him last year watching other than he did a slightly above satisfactory job of picking up 2 garbage sacks. I sure aint comfortable with him starting.

Steeldude
08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Yes, don't listen to people who think that players the Steelers sign can actually play their positions.

Christ, I've NEVER met a more negative "fan". Do you like ANY of the players on the Steelers? In fact, is there anything about this team that you like or enjoy?

wow, you are really negative when it comes to opinions that differ from your own. i keep telling you, but you don't listen, everyone isn't a lemming like you. people have their own thoughts/ideas. why get yourself all upset and cry about a person's posts? if you don't like a person's posts then ignore them. what is the point of constantly trolling and crying?

it's not surprising that you are always in the middle of scuffles on this board as well as the other. do you eve stop whining and crying?

Rion
08-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Very interesting replies. I guess what got me thinking about this to begin with was watching Jet-Pats* playoff game last year. The Jets have a good secondary and it seemed like brady had some time when he dropped back but he couldn't find anyone open. But when brady played the Steelers he dropped back and almost always 1st down. Thats what got me wondering about spending more on our secondary but I do see where some of you are saying its how Lebeau's system is.

steeldawg
08-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I think the frustrating part is when we face the top qb we dont adjust. I agree our defense is fantastic and i love the scheme but watching us play rodgers and brady is rough. What I cant figure out is wen they spread us out we just keep running the same d waiting for them to make a mistake. So I dont think we really need any major changes to personel or scheme but I would like to see lebeau throw those top qb's a curvball every now and then.