PDA

View Full Version : Steelers may trade one of their backup QBs

steelerfan
08-07-2011, 01:20 PM
According to kffl...

Steelers | May trade one of their backup QBs (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/gnews.php?id=731239-steelers-may-trade-one-of-their-backup-qbs)
Sun, 07 Aug 2011 08:39:08 -0700
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) may consider trading QB Byron Leftwich (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/player/5891/nfl/byron-leftwich), QB Dennis Dixon (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/player/18124/nfl/dennis-dixon) or QB Charlie Batch (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/player/691/nfl/charlie-batch) during the preseason because they will not be able to keep four quarterbacks on their roster and would rather get something for one of them instead of releasing one.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1UMsUN3jZ

Now what I find interesting in this is that, I would have to think that no team is gonna trade for a often injured soon to be 37 year old Charlie Batch. And I suspect Batch, if he does not make our team this season will likely just retire rather then have to move to another state, and hold a clipboard. As for Dixon, look I think he has taken way too much criticism from some steeler fans here. But facts are, he was a young QB with some playing experience that any team COULD have signed for basically nothing, or for a 5th rounder. So maybe a team might give up a 7th for him. And then there is Leftwich, who I have not heard alot from Camp in the reports I have seen. Lefty also can get injured. But has the most starting experience of the 3 QB's. And of course has started in the league before. Again, don't know what we could get for him, nothing better then a 5th I assume, if even that. Not unless a team suffers a MAJOR Camp Injury. Or maybe if a team like the Dolphins continue to struggle with their QB's, maybe they might want a guy like Lefty, or maybe a youngie like Dixon. Batch though I think is untouchable. Untouchable cause I think the steelers brass likes him, and his attitude and work ethic. And untouchable only cause I doubt any team would ever trade for him.

XxKnightxX
08-07-2011, 01:25 PM
According to kffl...

Steelers | May trade one of their backup QBs (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/gnews.php?id=731239-steelers-may-trade-one-of-their-backup-qbs)
Sun, 07 Aug 2011 08:39:08 -0700
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) may consider trading QB Byron Leftwich (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/player/5891/nfl/byron-leftwich), QB Dennis Dixon (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/player/18124/nfl/dennis-dixon) or QB Charlie Batch (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/player/691/nfl/charlie-batch) during the preseason because they will not be able to keep four quarterbacks on their roster and would rather get something for one of them instead of releasing one.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1UMsUN3jZ

Now what I find interesting in this is that, I would have to think that no team is gonna trade for a often injured soon to be 37 year old Charlie Batch. And I suspect Batch, if he does not make our team this season will likely just retire rather then have to move to another state, and hold a clipboard. As for Dixon, look I think he has taken way too much criticism from some steeler fans here. But facts are, he was a young QB with some playing experience that any team COULD have signed for basically nothing, or for a 5th rounder. So maybe a team might give up a 7th for him. And then there is Leftwich, who I have not heard alot from Camp in the reports I have seen. Lefty also can get injured. But has the most starting experience of the 3 QB's. And of course has started in the league before. Again, don't know what we could get for him, nothing better then a 5th I assume, if even that. Not unless a team suffers a MAJOR Camp Injury. Or maybe if a team like the Dolphins continue to struggle with their QB's, maybe they might want a guy like Lefty, or maybe a youngie like Dixon. Batch though I think is untouchable. Untouchable cause I think the steelers brass likes him, and his attitude and work ethic. And untouchable only cause I doubt any team would ever trade for him.

I say you trade Dixon, when it comes to backup QBs, you need experience, and no one is dethroning Ben anytime soon. I like Dixon and the guy wants to compete for a job. He may even be a good fit for the Dolphins since he might be the Pat White that they wished for gefore Ike knocked him to the minor league baseball and into retirement.

Psycho Ward 86
08-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Im thinking if that happens its going to be Dixon for a 6th or 7th round pick

steelerfan
08-07-2011, 01:27 PM

If it is Dixon, do you all expect he MIGHT get alot more playing time then what is usual in the first pre-season game ? Just to kinda show him off ?

The Duke
08-07-2011, 01:27 PM

I'll take it :thumbsup:

Lefty's not going anywhere, no one would trade for Batch unless they are desperate, so it's gotta be Dixon. That pick would bring us more than he has done for us

fansince'76
08-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Isn't that the same site that had us signing Tiki Barber last week?

steelerfan
08-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Isn't that the same site that had us signing Tiki Barber last week?

No it wasn't. kffl doesn't make up stories, they just re-report different stories from other sources. This one was from Dan Pompei

steelpride12
08-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Mhhmm well it depends on how you look at it. It seems Batch is the eldest and most injured prone, but he isn't worth much to other teams. Dixon is young and has possible potential somewhere else and could be worth a lot to another team in desperate need for a QB. Lefty isn't going anywhere. So I'd say Dixon is our best bet.

Chidi29
08-07-2011, 01:57 PM
If it is Dixon, do you all expect he MIGHT get alot more playing time then what is usual in the first pre-season game ? Just to kinda show him off ?

That's very possible.

The Duke
08-07-2011, 02:00 PM
That's very possible.

possible, but not good for young receivers like grisham and lyons looking to make an impact

Chidi29
08-07-2011, 02:04 PM
possible, but not good for young receivers like grisham and lyons looking to make an impact

I doubt they'd get knocked if Dixon struggled and made poor throws. The coaches will be more concerned on their route running than the box score.

Psycho Ward 86
08-07-2011, 02:12 PM

i sure wouldnt mind. i hope dixon tears it up in the preseason to raise his own trade stock, assuming he gets traded.

steelpride12
08-07-2011, 02:19 PM
i sure wouldnt mind. i hope dixon tears it up in the preseason to raise his own trade stock, assuming he gets traded.
I think teams already know his potential, but yes and excellent preseason means better chance we get a good deal for him.

steeldevil
08-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Fine with me. No one will trade for Batch though. Hes like 38 and always gets injured.

Craic
08-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't think we should even be thinking about trading a QB. Seriously. Batch should be quietly moved off the field and into the coaches' box. Lefty's our backup and Dixon the young number 3 QB.

fansince'76
08-07-2011, 02:47 PM
If the premise of the article is true and there's no way the Steelers can keep all four, why would anybody in their right mind be willing to give up a draft pick for a player they can simply wait for to be released? :noidea:

Craic
08-07-2011, 02:51 PM
If the premise of the article is true and there's no way the Steelers can keep all four, why would anybody in their right mind be willing to give up a draft pick for a player they can simply wait for to be released? :noidea:

Shhhh. It's the competition. Everyone's vying for our QB's!

steelerfan
08-07-2011, 02:52 PM

True but, if released, there is no guarantee that said player will sign with you. A late round draft pick secures that you get him. But I see your point.

oneforthetoe
08-07-2011, 02:54 PM

This.

Unless we can convince the Crypt Keeper that Dixon is a speedier version of Jamarcus Russell.

oneforthetoe
08-07-2011, 02:54 PM
True but, if released, there is no guarantee that said player will sign with you. A late round draft pick secures that you get him. But I see your point.

Anybody know what Dixon is making this year?

steelerfan
08-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Anybody know what Dixon is making this year?

I'm NOT 100 % sure, but I think his 1 year tenure offer was for 1.2 million. Now that is higher then the 850,000 that Batch is going to get paid if he sticks. But it is less then the 1.750 million that Lefty will get. And I hate to keep saying this but, I really feel that Dixon may offer us more as a direct backup to Ben then Lefty can. Leftwich has topped out as far as I'm concerned. His immobility is a killer playing with our O-Line. And like I said, trading or releasing him frees up 1.750 million dollars.

86WARD
08-07-2011, 03:05 PM
lol @ the thought of someone asking about Batch...Charlie Batch...lol...

steelerfan
08-07-2011, 03:11 PM

I know you think you're right. But, if Arizona could get him, I bet they would. Right or for wrong, their coaches know Charlie very well, and respect him and his knowledge. And, besides Kolb, can you even name any of their 3 other QB's ? None of them are worth a crap. And all three had PT last season and stunk up the joint. And considering the bad division that Arizona is in, IF Kolb should go down, Charlie, and his experience and professionalism is way better then anything they have behind Kolb. And, if needed to play a couple of games is more then capable of keeping Arizona in the hunt in that weak division until Kolb is back.

fansince'76
08-07-2011, 03:14 PM
I know you think you're right. But, if Arizona could get him, I bet they would. Right or for wrong, their coaches know Charlie very well, and respect him and his knowledge. And, besides Kolb, can you even name any of their 3 other QB's ? None of them are worth a crap. And all three had PT last season and stunk up the joint. And considering the bad division that Arizona is in, IF Kolb should go down, Charlie, and his experience and professionalism is way better then anything they have behind Kolb. And, if needed to play a couple of games is more then capable of keeping Arizona in the hunt in that weak division until Kolb is back.

Good point, considering the absolute raping they took from Philly just to get Kolb out of desperation.

ALLD
08-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Dennis Dixon already tried to shop himself and got zippo. He signed his tender. I would take Lefty over Dixon, but not expect a full season.

steelpride12
08-07-2011, 03:46 PM
The only positive about keeping Dixon is he is young and has potential, but at the same time we already know what he brings and other than running all over the place like a Vick didn't show much. That's why if he has a good camp he may have a few chances at other teams, but I think both Batch and Dixon are not wanted highly by many teams if any.

zulater
08-07-2011, 04:26 PM
If they get anything at all for any of their backups Colbert should be awarded executive of the year.

Chidi29
08-07-2011, 04:38 PM
If they get anything at all for any of their backups Colbert should be awarded executive of the year.

He should be regardless IMO.

86WARD
08-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Charlie Batch has practically zero left in the tank...he's not the answer to backing up Kolb. I like him around this team because he's a veteran with a good head on his shoulders but he's got very little left on the field...very little.

Chidi29
08-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Charlie Batch has practically zero left in the tank...he's not the answer to backing up Kolb. I like him around this team because he's a veteran with a good head on his shoulders but he's got very little left on the field...very little.

He didn't look that bad last year. Much better than Dixon, that's for sure.

fansince'76
08-07-2011, 05:45 PM

True, but considering the Cards' recent track record with QBs and the fact that they are desperate for QB help, they could possibly be suckered. 'Specially if we throw in SWEEEEEEEEEED! to sweeten the pot. :chuckle:

86WARD
08-07-2011, 05:59 PM
True, but considering the Cards' recent track record with QBs and the fact that they are desperate for QB help, they could possibly be suckered. 'Specially if we throw in SWEEEEEEEEEED! to sweeten the pot. :chuckle:

They are guilty of being suckers...so maybe it's possible.

XxKnightxX
08-07-2011, 06:59 PM

Batch would get traded, and Batch would tweet about it and break his wrist in the process of doing it lol

Steeldude
08-07-2011, 10:00 PM
trade dixon. there is always some team foolish enough to buy a running QB who can't pass.

tube517
08-07-2011, 11:03 PM
If anyone trades for the backups, it will be Pittsburgh West. The Arizona Stealers.

shutdown
08-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Why would someone trade with us when they know we're likely to cut.

Seems like hope more than actuality. Teams know we're going to have to cut someone... no reason for them to give something up for it.

86WARD
08-08-2011, 07:29 AM
trade dixon. there is always some team foolish enough to buy a running QB who can't pass.

He's not a great runner...lol.

steelpride12
08-08-2011, 08:45 AM
He's not a great runner...lol.
Better than most QB's out there that's for sure.

Psycho Ward 86
08-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Why would someone trade with us when they know we're likely to cut.

Seems like hope more than actuality. Teams know we're going to have to cut someone... no reason for them to give something up for it.

Dixon still has one more year with us, you know how many teams are out there that want to win NOW?

KeiselPower99
08-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Its between Batch and Dixon for the number 3 job. I went to the Friday practice at Latrobe and from what I saw Dixon still looks the same. He is the kind of qb that needs a developmental league for experience. Trade him for a 7th and be done with it.