PDA

View Full Version : Update: Steelers sign Jerricho Cotchery to one-year deal

BlastFurnace
08-06-2011, 03:26 PM
www.rotoworld.com

The Carroll County Times' Aaron Wilson reports free agent WR Jerricho Cotchery will visit the Steelers on Sunday.

Chidi29
08-06-2011, 03:28 PM
WR seems to be pretty set for us. Guess we just want to take a look at him. Maybe it's to get some guys on speed dial? Though I have to think Cotchery will sign somewhere before camp ends.

steelerfan
08-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Actually that would be GREAT! Yes I agree our WR core is NOT the problem that alot of posters here said it is when they were courting Plaxico. But Cotchery IS a very good WR who does alot of the little things. If he checks out physically, I would like him on our team. Would be the perfect player to PUNK the Jets :nod:

steel striker
08-06-2011, 03:31 PM
I also think the rats will look at him as well and, especially if Mason signs with the Jets. I like the wr's we have.

BlastFurnace
08-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally, the tweet said that he was coming in for a physical on Sunday, but he changed it.

BlastFurnace
08-06-2011, 03:34 PM
I also think the rats will look at him as well and, especially if Mason signs with the Jets. I like the wr's we have.

Mason just tweeted that he is signing with the Jets.

Psycho Ward 86
08-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Actually that would be GREAT! Yes I agree our WR core is NOT the problem that alot of posters here said it is when they were courting Plaxico. But Cotchery IS a very good WR who does alot of the little things. If he checks out physically, I would like him on our team. Would be the perfect player to PUNK the Jets :nod:

Orrrr....people just wanted a wide receiver with past success on the team. You know, the same way you feel about Cotchery?

BlastFurnace
08-06-2011, 03:38 PM
With Sweed hurting his shoulder today, I think all the clamoring for him will end in a week or two when he is gone. The wildcard in this entire thing is the health of Sanders.

The Duke
08-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Why?

Cotch was one of my favorite receivers in the league from 06-08. He was never afraid to go over the middle and had some speed to go with it. But he's lost both of those things in the past few years, and was more noticeable than ever last season

Perhaps he needs a change of scenery, but other than Sanders' injury been longer than anticipated I don't see how he brings something we don't have already

steelerfan
08-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Orrrr....people just wanted just liked a wide receiver with passed success on the team. You know, the same way you feel about Cotchery?

You're comparing Plax with Cotchery ? Are you serious ? A WR who has actually PLAYED the past 3 seasons, and who is young and a TEAM player, and who ISN'T a reaccuring actor on the show " Cops "!! You act like Burress is some sort of GOD who has put up Hall of fame numbers. When in fact he is a LAZY, Malcontented WR who our management couldn't wait to get rid of.

BlastFurnace
08-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Why?

Cotch was one of my favorite receivers in the league from 06-08. He was never afraid to go over the middle and had some speed to go with it. But he's lost both of those things in the past few years, and was more noticeable than ever last season

Perhaps he needs a change of scenery, but other than Sanders' injury been longer than anticipated I don't see how he brings something we don't have already

Problem is, Sanders was slated to be the #3 this year and the #2 for Hines if he misses any time. In all reality, we have no idea what kind of season Sanders will produce because this foot problem could be something that lasts the entire year. Signing Cotchery, even to a one year deal, would allow the Steelers to keep Sanders on the bench as long as needed and not feel the need to rush him back on the field.

I'm not sold on Brown yet because of the notes that he still is having issues with the playbook.

steelerfan
08-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Problem is, Sanders was slated to be the #3 this year and the #2 for Hines if he misses any time. In all reality, we have no idea what kind of season Sanders will produce because this foot problem could be something that lasts the entire year. Signing Cotchery, even to a one year deal, would allow the Steelers to keep Sanders on the bench as long as needed and not feel the need to rush him back on the field.

I'm not sold on Brown yet because of the notes that he still is having issues with the playbook.

Maybe you are right. Me, personally I think they want a little more experience early on, when we play some of our tougher schedule. And, don't wanna ASSume anything but what if Ward went down ? Cotchery is alot like Hines. As is, it's still a long shot we sign him. But if we do, I don't see how it could hurt. We will carry 7 WR anyways,,Battle will likely be one, but will count as a special teams player, so that's really 6 WR. And if Sweed shows nothing, and is let go, that leaves only the 34 year old Hines, Wallace, and Sanders and Brown. So yeah, why not look at him at least.

BlastFurnace
08-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Maybe you are right. Me, personally I think they want a little more experience early on, when we play some of our tougher schedule. And, don't wanna ASSume anything but what if Ward went down ? Cotchery is alot like Hines. As is, it's still a long shot we sign him. But if we do, I don't see how it could hurt. We will carry 7 WR anyways,,Battle will likely be one, but will count as a special teams player, so that's really 6 WR. And if Sweed shows nothing, and is let go, that leaves only the 34 year old Hines, Wallace, and Sanders and Brown. So yeah, why not look at him at least.

I wonder how much cap room we have to sign him.

In practice, Jonathan Scott and Foster have been carted off too. Sweed hurt his shoulder. No telling where this cap space will need to go.

7willBheaven
08-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Depending on where they are with the cap...and how Sanders is coming along...I'd have no problem at all bringing him in...as long as its a reasonable deal.

Nadroj 20
08-06-2011, 04:11 PM

That was a lot of our point about Plex! And at the time he was the only WR we were interested in for whatever reason so some of us was willing to look past the fact he is older and has been out of the game. Back then if it was between Jericho and Plex? I may have leaned more toward Jericho because of the very same factors you pointed out, but that wasn't the sitaution. It was only about Plex at the time.

So I am in the same boat with Jericho...why not bring him in and see what he looks like?

BlastFurnace
08-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I was never sold on Plax coming back other than for nastalgia reasons. We already went that route last year with ARE and it didn't work out. Cotchery, if he signs, will be a much better option.

steelerfan
08-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah but, with Floyd re-signing in San Diego. And Mason now a Jet for sure. And with the Ravens DESPERATELY needing a Vet WR, I might think that Cotchery signs with Baltimore if the money is basically the same. If for no other reason that he will get more guaranteed play time.

86WARD
08-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah but, with Floyd re-signing in San Diego. And Mason now a Jet for sure. And with the Ravens DESPERATELY needing a Vet WR, I might think that Cotchery signs with Baltimore if the money is basically the same. If for no other reason that he will get more guaranteed play time.

QFT.

steeldawg
where is he going to play?

Nadroj 20
WR seems to be pretty set for us. Guess we just want to take a look at him. Maybe it's to get some guys on speed dial? Though I have to think Cotchery will sign somewhere before camp ends.

I just am wondering how WR seems set to you? Hines Ward (aging) and Mike Wallace are our only sure guys. Then we have Sanders (foot?) and Brown who I have been hearing has problems with the playbook? I guess I do not know that for sure but I have been hearing about it.

Even if Sanders wasn't hurt and Brown was catching on fine they are still very very young. Are we really ready to depend on those young guys when we can possibly bring in a veteran? I don't know that we are. They have a ton of potential but potential, as you know, isn't everything.

I don't really think it is crazy to think Jericho could come in and beat out Brown for the #4 spot.

7willBheaven
08-06-2011, 04:27 PM
I just am wondering how WR seems set to you? Hines Ward (aging) and Mike Wallace are our only sure guys. Then we have Sanders (foot?) and Brown who I have been hearing has problems with the playbook? I guess I do not know that for sure but I have been hearing about it.

Even if Sanders wasn't hurt and Brown was catching on fine they are still very very young. Are we really ready to depend on those young guys when we can possibly bring in a veteran? I don't know that we are. They have a ton of potential but potential, as you know, isn't everything.

I don't really think it is crazy to think Jericho could come in and beat out Brown for the #4 spot.

I've never heard anything about Brown having issues...all I've been hearing is that he's really come along...added some muscle/bulk or something and has been doing quite well in camp...and seems to be building that "connection" with Ben on the field.

steelerfan
08-06-2011, 04:30 PM
I've never heard anything about Brown having issues...all I've been hearing is that he's really come along...added some muscle/bulk or something and has been doing quite well in camp...and seems to be building that "connection" with Ben on the field.

That's exactly what I have read, and personally heard from Tomlin. Again, all those reports about Brown were written by the " PRO-PLAXICO " weenies who were trying to absolute their reasons for signing Plaxico. It's ridiculous. Antonio has been nothing but clutch. And knows our offense, and the play book better then Ward does.

Nadroj 20
08-06-2011, 04:30 PM

I think it was in the twitter thread I read someone talking about Ben having to tell Brown where to go once, but you are right he is probably fine. I was partially asking by posting that as well because I did not know how valid they were

He is still young though and I don't think bringing a veteran in will hurt.

Nadroj 20
08-06-2011, 04:32 PM
That's exactly what I have read, and personally heard from Tomlin. Again, all those reports about Brown were written by the " PRO-PLAXICO " weenies who were trying to absolute their reasons for signing Plaxico. It's ridiculous. Antonio has been nothing but clutch. And knows our offense, and the play book better then Ward does.

Please do explain. not saying you are wrong or lying just interesting to know that story.

steelerfan
08-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Please do explain. not saying you are wrong or lying just interesting to know that story.

On 93.7 AM radio. Tomlin noted that both Brown, and Wallace were both in outstanding shape, and were doing well in the early practices.

Nadroj 20
08-06-2011, 04:44 PM
On 93.7 AM radio. Tomlin noted that both Brown, and Wallace were both in outstanding shape, and were doing well in the early practices.

Ok when you said "personally" I though somehow you talked to Tomlin yourself and that would have been a cool story. If that is the case then those rumors about him not catching on are very wrong.

steeldawg
08-06-2011, 05:13 PM
I dont think we really need cotchery, I dont see where he fits and what part of our offense he would improve. The guy is coming off the pup list for a back injury, hes not explosive, hes not fast, hes not big, and hes really not that productive. For his career hes played in 103 games he has 358 rec 18 tds and 4514 yds , doesnt exactly blow my hair back. If they want to give him a roster spot to be a back up to one of our young guns im ok with that, but to compare him to plaxico or even ward is a crazy because he is not in that league. You might not like plex but dont try and tell me that cotchery is a better pick up, especially when the team letting him go is the same team that signed plex.

steelpride12
08-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I think it would be an excellent move. With Sweed injured and likely out for a extended period of time, and Sanders with the nagging foot injury we could really use someone who has experience and is not afraid to go over the middle for a catch.

86WARD
08-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Like Sweed out for good. I like Cotchery as insurance if Ward got injured...

Chidi29
08-06-2011, 07:49 PM

I only see us dressing five receivers on gameday. And correct me if I'm wrong, but that's all we carried on the fifty-three last year. Your five are.

Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, and Battle

I realize that we don't have the greatest WR core, it's probably a bit overrated by fans to be completely honest, but there's no room to put someone without cutting someone else. And there's no one to cut.

Nadroj 20
08-06-2011, 08:09 PM
I only see us dressing five receivers on gameday. And correct me if I'm wrong, but that's all we carried on the fifty-three last year. Your five are.

I realize that we don't have the greatest WR core, it's probably a bit overrated by fans to be completely honest, but there's no room to put someone without cutting someone else. And there's no one to cut.

5 isn't a set number though is it? Why not add Jericho and carry 6? Plenty of other teams do it

Chidi29
08-06-2011, 08:12 PM
5 isn't a set number though is it? Why not add Jericho and carry 6? Plenty of other teams do it

I don't think we have for a couple of years. And if we carry six, one will definitely be inactive.

Nadroj 20
08-06-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't think we have for a couple of years. And if we carry six, one will definitely be inactive.

Didn't we carry 6? Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, ARE, Battle?

86WARD
08-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Brown and Sanders alternated there for a while...but there were games when 6 were active. Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, ARE, Battle...one thing to remember is there will be an extra roster spot this year as well...

Nadroj 20
08-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Brown and Sanders alternated there for a while...one thing to remember is there will be an extra roster spot this year as well...

Ok I remember that now, but 6 WR still got playing time so it wouldn't hurt to do that this year imo.

86WARD
08-06-2011, 09:05 PM
I just edited my post above. there were some games where there were 6 active.

7willBheaven
08-06-2011, 09:07 PM

Actually they carried 6 WRs last year with El being the 6th...and there were a number of times all 6 dressed.

86WARD
08-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Cotchery could easily take ARE's spot...easily...lol.

steelerfan
08-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Cothery could replace El yes. But, I just read tonights practice report, and Tomlin AGAIN has high praise for Antonio Brown. And has again said how good both Tyler Grisham and Wes Lyons have looked. When asked if " Sweed's " struggles to stay out on the field were frustrating to him, Tomlin said,,,I only worry about those ON the field,,,not off it....Yikes Limas....get the message ?

Nadroj 20
08-06-2011, 09:47 PM
I looked at the number of games each WR played and Wallace, Ward and ARE played 16, Battle 15, Sanders 13 and Brown 9 so i figured there was a good chance there were games all 6 were active.

7willBheaven
08-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Speaking of him...I do like what little I've seen of Grisham.

Chidi29
08-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Brown and Sanders alternated there for a while...but there were games when 6 were active. Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, ARE, Battle...one thing to remember is there will be an extra roster spot this year as well...

Which I believe will be used for the third QB.

Chidi29
08-06-2011, 10:04 PM
My fault. ARE slipped my mind.

I still see Brown getting the nod over him even if Cotchery were to sign. I think Brown still has a ways to go but he's a guy we want to continue to develop because there is potential. Which puts Cotchery as the #5. I doubt he'd want to play here for that role.

Nadroj 20
08-06-2011, 10:07 PM
That is true Chidi. And I have always liked Tyler Grisham and then Wes Lyons is a huge target that has looked well so maybe brining in a new guy isn't the greast of all ideas.

I guess you can say I don't care either way now.

Chidi29
08-06-2011, 10:38 PM
That is true Chidi. And I have always liked Tyler Grisham and then Wes Lyons is a huge target that has looked well so maybe brining in a new guy isn't the greast of all ideas.

I guess you can say I don't care either way now.

It wouldn't be a bad idea if there was a place to put him. It's always a good thing to have a guy that can run the underneath routes and be the "low" read.

86WARD
08-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Which I believe will be used for the third QB.

I wouldn't be so sure if that. A pretty good case could be made by the coaching staffs that an extra player that could contribute on special teams and maybe take a few snaps on offense or defense would be a wiser choice than the third QB.

steel striker
08-07-2011, 11:08 AM
With Sanders being injuried and, as usual Sweed status is shakey at best. Let's bring in JC and, see how things shape up.

steelpride12
08-07-2011, 11:27 AM
I mean it's like this: due to some injuries to the receiving corp and how early it is in camp, what would hurt to bring him in and see what happens. He might make a perfect fit in Pitt.

86WARD
08-07-2011, 12:05 PM
What happens when Sweed doesn't make it, Sanders' foot injury lingers and let's say Ward, Wallace or Brown gets injured...take your pick. Tyler Grisham >> Cotchery? I don't think so.

Doesn't hurt to be prepared for the worst. Usually teams with good depth from top to bottom are the ones that go on to get a ring.

Chidi29
08-07-2011, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't be so sure if that. A pretty good case could be made by the coaching staffs that an extra player that could contribute on special teams and maybe take a few snaps on offense or defense would be a wiser choice than the third QB.

Everything I read said the extra spot would be for the third QB which makes me think you have to use it for that position.

oneforthetoe
08-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Everything I read said the extra spot would be for the third QB which makes me think you have to use it for that position.

IMO, I doubt there is a rule that it has to be for a QB because there have been a few teams the last few years go with just 2 QB's on their rosters. However, most teams (including the Steelers) are likely to include the 3rd QB as the last active player, since putting in a guy who last played QB in college or high school isn't likely to be a recipe for success against today's complected defensive schemes. You need like a Danny White from the 70's Cowboys to take advantage of this rule.

86WARD
08-07-2011, 03:11 PM
According to several GM's in several interviews, it's an extra roster spot...not necessarily designated for a QB.

Steeldeal
08-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I believe it would be a good pick up. Cotchery is a great WR. Got some age on him but still has something left in the tank, would make a good 6th man. could easily fill in whenever and wherever he is needed.

steelerfan
08-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Current Cotch update. And it says we are still interested in bringing in a Vet TE...Maybe Ex-Bengal Reggie Kelly.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/111108-gerry-cotchery-visits-could-be-signed

Chidi29
08-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Current Cotch update. And it says we are still interested in bringing in a Vet TE...Maybe Ex-Bengal Reggie Kelly.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/111108-gerry-cotchery-visits-could-be-signed

Bleh on Kelly. Old and just two years removed from a Torn Achilles. Don't like it in Colon, certainly don't like it in Kelly.

steelerfan
08-07-2011, 07:37 PM
They really must want a Vet then. To think about Kelly. I know Tomlin sometimes doesn't like to rely on rookies. But I really wouldn't mind seeing Saunders be our main backup.

Chidi29
08-07-2011, 07:48 PM
They really must want a Vet then. To think about Kelly. I know Tomlin sometimes doesn't like to rely on rookies. But I really wouldn't mind seeing Saunders be our main backup.

Well they did sign John Gilmore. Not that he's a savior but he's a vet.

I like Saunders potential and he was worth the flier as a UDFA but I gotta see what this guy can do first. There were injury issues, yes, but there has to be something the average fan can't see for him to fall out of the draft.

steelpride12
08-07-2011, 07:50 PM
At 29 I like that Cotch won't be an old washed up receiver out there. He could actually bring something to the offense and I know he will go over the middle and take a huge hit for a catch. Better to have the insurance just in case of injury.

Count Steeler
08-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Jericho would add experience and depth to the WR corps. As long as we have cap room, go for it.

Pittsburgh43
08-07-2011, 08:03 PM
I agree that we should sign Cotch for insurance, if the price is right. Like many of you have mentioned, he'll go across the middle, grab the ball and absorb the big hit. He'll bring something to the table that us Steelers fans will appreciate in a wide receiver. If given the opportunity, he'll make plays.

steelerfan
08-08-2011, 12:06 PM
" Update "

Steelers | Jerricho Cotchery leaves without contract (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/gnews.php?id=731474-steelers-jerricho-cotchery-leaves-without-contract)
Mon, 08 Aug 2011 10:05:34 -0700
Free-agent WR Jerricho Cotchery (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/player/9449/nfl/jerricho-cotchery) (Jets) left his visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) without a contract agreement

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1USSOlwq5

Well, say hello to Baltimore Mr.Cotchery!!

86WARD
08-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Saw reports that Baltimore wasn't interested...

IronCity
08-08-2011, 02:09 PM
They better get the ball rolling on a top 5 wr soon. Sweeds days in Pitt are numbered since he's hurt again and the preseason was his last chance to prove himself.

Psycho Ward 86
08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Saw reports that Baltimore wasn't interested...

source? And if this is true, i am uncompletely unafraid of the ravens receiver corps right now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-08-2011, 05:25 PM
source? And if this is true, i am uncompletely unafraid of the ravens receiver corps right now. Boldin, Dickson and who else Torrey Smith on the other side?? I am feeling more unafraid of their defense too. Cody will be a winded slob in the middle and Jimmy Smith might end up being a FS if he can get healthy to start the season.

Psycho Ward 86
08-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Boldin, Dickson and who else Torrey Smith on the other side?? I am feeling more unafraid of their defense too. Cody will be a winded slob in the middle and Jimmy Smith might end up being a FS if he can get healthy to start the season.

i agree. gotta think that ozzie newsome knows what he's doing, but somehow i havent felt this unthreatened by the Ravens since 2007.

steelpride12
08-08-2011, 06:20 PM
source? And if this is true, i am uncompletely unafraid of the ravens receiver corps right now.
Baltimore is aging and I don't see their new guys stepping up. Unless Flacco can pass, catch and play defense I like our chances at the division.

86WARD
08-08-2011, 08:13 PM

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/08/team_source_on_cotchery_well_see.html?utm_source=f eedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sports_football_ravens+%28Rav ens+Insider%29

BlastFurnace
08-08-2011, 09:02 PM
The Steelers should go with what they have. I'd give this Greenwood or Lyons kid a shot at the #5 spot and just go with the winner. No receiver worth their salt is coming to Pittsburgh to be the #5 receiver. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if ARE ends up coming back to fill that role in the end.

Boh
08-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Per Jason La Canfora:

@JasonLaCanfora

Free agent WR Jerricho Cotchery, formerly of the Jets, traveling to Baltimore tonite to begin visit with Ravens at the Castle. Visited Pitt recently

not sure how interesed they are tho

86WARD
08-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Got the same info...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/08/ex-jets-wr-cotchery-paying-visit-to-ravens/

Maybe a little smoke-screen going on...

steeldawg
08-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Is it really shocking that there isnt alot of interest cotchery?

Psycho Ward 86
08-08-2011, 09:49 PM
not sure how interesed they are tho

Got the same info...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/08/ex-jets-wr-cotchery-paying-visit-to-ravens/

Maybe a little smoke-screen going on...

i aint buyin' it for a second. It's gotta be a smoke screen, and the rest of Cotchery's suitors would have to be idiots to think the Ravens aren't that interested. They are in no position to throw the ball. I am not afraid of Flacco to Boldin/Rice hook ups at all. No one is calling that bluff, if anybody but the Ravens get him, it'll be a huge victory for us.

steelpride12
08-08-2011, 11:03 PM
I just don't like the Steelers planting in a rookie or inexperienced player in the #5 slot.

Chidi29
08-08-2011, 11:52 PM
I just don't like the Steelers planting in a rookie or inexperienced player in the #5 slot.

It's not like they're going to get a lot of playing time. We had Sanders and Brown in that role early last year.

Boh
08-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Cotchery to any team would improve it, imo.

O'Malley
08-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Wes Lyons, what's the word on this guy? 6'8" 230, who needs Plexico we already have a huge target...... I have only seen video of him blocking and I got to say I liked what I saw. Decleated somebody. I say stick him in the #5 spot and see what he has..

steelerfan
08-09-2011, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE=O'Malley;188829]Wes Lyons, what's the word on this guy? 6'8" 230, who needs Plexico we already have a huge target...... I have only seen video of him blocking and I got to say I liked what I saw. Decleated somebody. I say stick him in the #5 spot and see what he has..[/QUOTE

He is doing really well...so far. Still alot to prove. And he is 6ft, 9,,,Not 6ft, 8. Don't sell him short :nod:

steelerfan
08-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Crotchery hence the word Crotch,is not young by any means and Crotchery is just a slow beat up receiver,you obvious lack any football knowledge since when is 29/30 young?

I think 29 IS younger then 34 ( Plaxico )...and I guess by YOUR figuring,,,Boldin is OLD huh ? :nod:

steelpride12
08-09-2011, 09:23 AM
It's not like they're going to get a lot of playing time. We had Sanders and Brown in that role early last year.
Yes I know those guys will fill any role, but Sanders is still questionable with that foot injury and has Brown really shown enough to be relied on as a #3-#4 guy yet?

Boh
08-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Not much news today. He took a physical today, had a meeting with Ravens FO, and spent the whole day at the castle reportedly

EDit: he passed aswell

Boh
08-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Ravens Castle @ Owings Mills -- The Baltimore Ravens have decided to pass on veteran wide receivrer Jerricho Cotchery.
Cotchery visited the Ravens and took a physical on Tuesday, but isn't being offered a contract.

steelerfan
08-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Ravens Castle @ Owings Mills -- The Baltimore Ravens have decided to pass on veteran wide receivrer Jerricho Cotchery.
Cotchery visited the Ravens and took a physical on Tuesday, but isn't being offered a contract.

Personally think that is a huge mistake. Cotchery would immediately be the Ravens 2nd best WR. He passed the physical, so there are no medical concerns. And this late in the game, I highly doubt Cotchery and his agent are asking for alot of money. Come week 1 against us, your weak WR core will be your Doom.

Psycho Ward 86
08-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Gotta wonder is Ozzie knows what he's doing or the Ravens are legitimately falling apart

86WARD
08-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Maybe Cotchery isn't all he's cracked up to be...

Nadroj 20
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
His back issues may be too big of a concern.

Bluecoat96
08-11-2011, 01:01 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/407984660/schefter4_normal.JPG
AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter) Adam Schefter

Former Jets WR Jericho Cotchery will agree to terms today on a one-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers. More at ESPN.com.

steelerfan
08-11-2011, 01:09 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/407984660/schefter4_normal.JPG
AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter) Adam Schefter

Former Jets WR Jericho Cotchery will agree to terms today on a one-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers. More at ESPN.com.

Well, that's ONE Tweet I am very Happy to see :applaudit:...to those who disagree, I respect your thoughts. And I KNOW that guys like Sanders and Brown will be okay to go by week 1. But you cannot underscore just how VALUABLE a guy like Cotchery is. He is a total TEAM guy. And will do anything asked of him. I GUARANTEE you those Baltimore fans who have been posting here will laugh & Mock this signing. But, after week 1,,,they will NOT!

Great News sir. Thanks for passing it along.

kmsteelerwr15
08-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Welcome to the Steelers!!

Nadroj 20
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Wow!

Welcome to Pittsburgh Jerricho!! I hope you can do something to contribute :thumbsup:

7willBheaven
08-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I didnt think it'd happen...but if this is true welcome aboard. I guess he's willing to eventually possibly be a 4th-5th WR and such...as long as it doesnt take away from our young guys (once Sanders is healthy) then I'm all for it.

steelerfan
08-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I didnt think it'd happen...but if this is true welcome aboard. I guess he's willing to eventually possibly be a 4th-5th WR and such...as long as it doesnt take away from our young guys (once Sanders is healthy) then I'm all for it.

I guess this means we can OFFICIALLY put the " Sweed Bus " in the Junk Yard :sorry:

7willBheaven
08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Per the Steelers official Twitter:

steelers Pittsburgh Steelers
We have agreed to terms with WR Jerricho Cotchery

suitanim
08-11-2011, 01:38 PM
SWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

Oh.........whoops!

BlastFurnace
08-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Wow.....getting a #3 receiver as your #5. This WR corps will be one of the best the Steelers have ever had.

Admittedly, I am a little intrigued by Grisham.

I hope Sweed gets another chance somewhere.

Carolina Steelers
08-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I like this pick-up I think hes an upgrade from Randall El that we had last yr. Plus with the injury @ wideout we could use another WR.

Nadroj 20
08-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm officially announcing my departure from the Sweed bus with this signing :behindsofa:

Wallace, Ward, Sanders, Brown, Cotchery, Grisham, and Battle (because of special teams ability) are all ahead of Sweed at this point and even in that group 1 or 2 might not make the final 53.

It was fun while it lasted. Let me know when the Baron Batch bus gets here next year. :chuckle:

fansince'76
08-11-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm officially announcing my departure from the Sweed bus with this signing :behindsofa:

:Cry: :Cry: :Cry:

:chuckle:

Nadroj 20
08-11-2011, 01:51 PM
:Cry: :Cry: :Cry:

:chuckle:

:rofl2:

This is fansince as I'm leaving the bus--------------> :violin:

Pittsburgh43
08-11-2011, 01:51 PM
We have one hell of a WR corps. Good news today. Welcome aboard, Cotch.

Psycho Ward 86
08-11-2011, 02:08 PM
HOLY RECEIVING CORP. Now that's a prolific passing attack, and a great group of RB's to go with it. As usual, without the best O-line :chuckle:

Craic
08-11-2011, 02:09 PM
I like the signing. I think the Ravens need more than what he could offer. The Steelers however, don't need that. They need a second Veteran presence on the team that can go in and give them another target, but not have to step in and "be the man." Or the second in line to "Be the man."

steeldevil
08-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Good pickup, gives us insurance on Sanders. You know, just in case...

tihmtahm
08-11-2011, 02:13 PM
So long Sweed. I'm glad we got Cotchery. He's not awesome but, he is consistently productive.

steeldevil
HOLY RECEIVING CORP. Now that's a prolific passing attack, and a great group of RB's to go without. As usual, without the best O-line :chuckle:

I think you mean "HOLY RECEIVING CORP BATMAN!" :faint: :heh:

steelpride12
Well this receiving corp is def. something to talk about, underrated yes, but skillful no doubt! A veteran joins as the #5 receiver and he is only 29 with the ability to go over the middle for balls.

Goodbye Sweed! :(

O'Malley
08-11-2011, 02:16 PM
He was born with six fingers on his left hand! One for every ring? Seriously though good pick up although money spent on an offensive line wouldn't hurt IMO....

Bluecoat96
08-11-2011, 02:29 PM
With all the talk of getting a good blocking tight end, it sounds as if they also want to get Heath more involved in the passing attack as well. Hmmm....Miller, Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Cotchery...and Mendenhall as well.....damn!!!!! There's a lot of potential!!!:applaudit:

ALLD
08-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Another Shaun McDonald?

Devilsdancefloor
08-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Im glad he is here i just hope he isnt ARE v2.0

7willBheaven
08-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Another Shaun McDonald?

Thats an insult to Cotchery....Cotchery is way above and beyond McDonald (who i think hasnt been in the NFL since the Steelers cut him in 09)...Cotchery just about doubles all of McDonalds stats too.

What I wonder how much playing time Cotchery might get on Friday...hopefully he sees at least some time in there.

XxKnightxX
08-11-2011, 02:39 PM
HOLY RECEIVING CORP. Now that's a prolific passing attack, and a great group of RB's to go with it. As usual, without the best O-line :chuckle:

You cant have them all cant you lol

The Duke
08-11-2011, 02:40 PM
hmm, we'll see. Haven't been impressed with him since 07

grisham sweed and lyons all have less of a chance now . But two of those can still make our PS

hope it doesn't mean a veteran like Battle is on the bubble now though

Burghfan58
08-11-2011, 02:40 PM
He finally came to his senses and joined a winner.

Pittsburgh43
08-11-2011, 02:41 PM
We have all the pieces to put together a prolific & deadly offense. Now, let's see if BA can put the pieces together.

86WARD
08-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Like the signing. Gives a little insurance if Ward gets injured and keeps a spot warm for ESanders...

7willBheaven
08-11-2011, 02:53 PM
hmm, we'll see. Haven't been impressed with him since 07

grisham sweed and lyons all have less of a chance now . But two of those can still make our PS

hope it doesn't mean a veteran like Battle is on the bubble now though

I was waiting for someone to say 2007...because of course that was his biggest and best season....and i think thats the season L. Coles was banged up and didnt get his usual numbers so Cotchery got some of his yardage. Overall 06-09 being a #2 guy he put up decent numbers...and then in 2010 he was bumped to the #3 spot and still did OK (i think thats close to what both Sanders/Brown put up total).

2006 82 catches for 961 yards and 6 TD's

2007 82 catches for 1,130 yards and 2 TD's

2008 71 catches for 858 yards and 5 TD's

2009 57 catches for 821 yards and 3 TD's

2010 41 catches for 433 yards and 2 TD's.

I dont think Lyons ever had a chance. If they keep 6 WRs again the final 2 spots will come down to Cotchery, Battle, Grisham and Sweed. If Cotchery wasnt here then it'd come down to the other 3...as I've never seen some of these other guys as having a chance this year.

steelerfan
08-11-2011, 03:09 PM
From 2006 to 2008, Cotchery was there with the numbers. But, in 2009, when the rookie Sanchez came in, his first two seasons Sanchez completed just 43 % of his passes to his WR. That is why Cotchery's numbers went down. His overall production as it goes to YPC is the same. His toughness on Blocking is second ONLY to Ward. And his presence in the Locker room was huge. Plus, as promising as Sanders and Brown were last year, we still don't know if they will grow and get better. We all HOPE they do. But remember Troy Edwards, and his rookie numbers ? And what he went on to do his next 2 seasons ? I'm not saying that will happen to either Sanders or Brown, but it could. As where Cotchery is a PROVEN WR. All he can do is help us, not hurt us at all.

steeldawg
08-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Wait wait wait! We sign cotchery to a one year deal to compete for a #5 slot and all of the sudden we are a prolific offense? Guys lets be realistic he will make a nice back up but lets not pop the cork on the champagne just yet.

st33lersguy
08-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I really don't know how Cotchery fits on this team other than a benchwarmer. Why was this organization persistent on getting a wideout we don't need.

86WARD
08-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Ward - injured.
Sanders - injured.
Sweed - Sweed.

Leaves Brown Wallace Battle Grisham. Need some kind of veteran presence. My problem will arise when Citchery keeps Brown and or Sanders off the field...

He's an upgrade over ARE...so that's a positive.

Psycho Ward 86
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Wait wait wait! We sign cotchery to a one year deal to compete for a #5 slot and all of the sudden we are a prolific offense? Guys lets be realistic he will make a nice back up but lets not pop the cork on the champagne just yet.

honest to god would be if we had an O-line.

I really don't know how Cotchery fits on this team other than a benchwarmer. Why was this organization persistent on getting a wideout we don't need.

we werent very persistent at all, we let him get passed around to two wide receiver-desperate teams in the Chargers and Ravens and let him walk out of here with a contract on the initial visit. Ward, Sweed, Sanders are injured. How do you feel about Wallace and Brown as our lineup?

JayC
08-11-2011, 03:22 PM
imo very good signing for this year. gives us good depth for when we have an injury at WR, which through a 16 game season is bound to happen. 1. wallace 2. ward 3. sanders. 4. cotch 5. brown. I'd release El and probably Sweed too if he's hurt.

steeldawg
08-11-2011, 03:28 PM
honest to god would be if we had an O-line.

we werent very persistent at all, we let him get passed around to two wide receiver-desperate teams in the Chargers and Ravens and let him walk out of here with a contract on the initial visit. Ward, Sweed, Sanders are injured. How do you feel about Wallace and Brown as our lineup?

I feel about as good as if our lineup was wallace and cotchery. Besides ward and sanders will be ready to go at the beginning of the season, so like i said hes a backup.

JayC
08-11-2011, 03:31 PM
didn't even notice we cut randle el until now. lol nice, he was shit.

The Duke
08-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I was waiting for someone to say 2007...because of course that was his biggest and best season....and i think thats the season L. Coles was banged up and didnt get his usual numbers so Cotchery got some of his yardage. Overall 06-09 being a #2 guy he put up decent numbers...and then in 2010 he was bumped to the #3 spot and still did OK (i think thats close to what both Sanders/Brown put up total).

2006 82 catches for 961 yards and 6 TD's

2007 82 catches for 1,130 yards and 2 TD's

2008 71 catches for 858 yards and 5 TD's

2009 57 catches for 821 yards and 3 TD's

2010 41 catches for 433 yards and 2 TD's.

I dont think Lyons ever had a chance. If they keep 6 WRs again the final 2 spots will come down to Cotchery, Battle, Grisham and Sweed. If Cotchery wasnt here then it'd come down to the other 3...as I've never seen some of these other guys as having a chance this year.

those numbers are fine and all, but what impressed me about Cotchery the most (he was one of my favorite wide outs around that time) was his willingness to go over the middle and take a hit, much like Hines but with much better speed. He began to lose that in 08, and by last year he was a shell of his former self, at least in that aspect of his game. He look timid, and slower- not exactly what I want from my receivers

but we'll see. Playing with Hines might motivate him once again

and with Ben. Having sanchez throwing you the ball must not be very encouraging :chuckle:

steelerfan
08-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I consider Cotchery like the " Atomic Bomb "......hope we never really need him. But sure as HELL glad he is there :nod:

Nadroj 20
08-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Ward - injured.
Sanders - injured.
Sweed - Sweed.

Leaves Brown Wallace Battle Grisham. Need some kind of veteran presence. My problem will arise when Citchery keeps Brown and or Sanders off the field...

See this is where I disagree because if Cotchery is doing well and deserves to be out there, then I don't care if he keeps these guys off the field. We have to take things one season at a time and if Cotchery is doing better then one of the young guys in Brown or Sanders then he should be the one on the field and those guys time will come at a later date.

Not saying this will be the case but in that type of situation I will only be mad if he continues to see the field while playing poorly over the young guys.

KeiselPower99
08-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Id rather have El over Cotchery. I like the move for the preseason nothing more. Id rather the WRs be Ward Wallace Brown Saunders Sweed and Grisham.

steeldawg
08-11-2011, 04:03 PM
what where the financials of the deal?

Chidi29
08-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Ward - injured.
Sanders - injured.
Sweed - Sweed.

The "veteran presence" argument is a bit overstated.

Even when Ward was hurt and on the PUP list, it's not like he can't have an effect on the young guys. He can pull aside a young guy after a drill or practice and go over what they did right and wrong. More importantly, Ward is there in the film room and meetings.

Plus, you just mentioned Battle. There's a vet. Just because he isn't a star, doesn't mean he can't offer a veteran presence. Besides, he used to be one of the main targets in San Fran.

86WARD
08-11-2011, 04:45 PM
See this is where I disagree because if Cotchery is doing well and deserves to be out there, then I don't care if he keeps these guys off the field. We have to take things one season at a time and if Cotchery is doing better then one of the young guys in Brown or Sanders then he should be the one on the field and those guys time will come at a later date.

Not saying this will be the case but in that type of situation I will only be mad if he continues to see the field while playing poorly over the young guys.

I'm all for playing whomever helps the team the most. But if Cotchery is getting snaps over Brown and Sanders because they feel "more comfortable" with him out there (as they did with El at times,) that's what I have a problem with. I don't want a guy that could potentially only be here for a year taking valuable snaps away from the future...if that makes sense...

86WARD
08-11-2011, 04:48 PM
The "veteran presence" argument is a bit overstated.

Even when Ward was hurt and on the PUP list, it's not like he can't have an effect on the young guys. He can pull aside a young guy after a drill or practice and go over what they did right and wrong. More importantly, Ward is there in the film room and meetings.

Plus, you just mentioned Battle. There's a vet. Just because he isn't a star, doesn't mean he can't offer a veteran presence. Besides, he used to be one of the main targets in San Fran.

Not really. Sure Ward can help from the sideline and I'd prefer Ward's help over Cotchery. Cotchery would be a veteran presence on the field...something Ward could not do if he was injured. Cotchery would be a help in the huddle...Battle would not. Battle is more or less a special teams player and that's pretty much it. Again...sideline help but not a help on the field and in the huddle.

Nadroj 20
08-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm all for playing whomever helps the team the most. But if Cotchery is getting snaps over Brown and Sanders because they feel "more comfortable" with him out there (as they did with El at times,) that's what I have a problem with. I don't want a guy that could potentially only be here for a year taking valuable snaps away from the future...if that makes sense...

Totally that does make sense. and I agree with that. I was just making sure we were pretty much on the same page :thumbsup:

Chidi29
08-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Not really. Sure Ward can help from the sideline and I'd prefer Ward's help over Cotchery. Cotchery would be a veteran presence on the field...something Ward could not do if he was injured. Cotchery would be a help in the huddle...Battle would not. Battle is more or less a special teams player and that's pretty much it. Again...sideline help but not a help on the field and in the huddle.

Ward has dealt with injuries but the guy doesn't miss a lot of playing time, much less games. Odds are, he'll be out there. Cotchery has missed more games than Ward in the past two years.

I am fine with the signing though. Actually surprised he wanted to sign here since he may wind up as low as the fifth receiver. But he provides competition for the young guys and as we saw last year with them, they're at their best when motivated.

O'Malley
08-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Ward has dealt with injuries but the guy doesn't miss a lot of playing time, much less games. Odds are, he'll be out there. Cotchery has missed more games than Ward in the past two years.

I am fine with the signing though. Actually surprised he wanted to sign here since he may wind up as low as the fifth receiver. But he provides competition for the young guys and as we saw last year with them, they're at their best when motivated.

Agreed! He played through the thumb injury last season then got surgery and it's healed. He will have to wear a splint just like he did last season but should be fine. Ward is a stud he will play and play well!

Count Steeler
08-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Welcome to the team, Jerricho. Now see that man in the dark sweatsuit outfit? He is a coach. Something you were missing on your old team. Now listen to this coach because he HAS won a Super Bowl and he will probably take you to another one.

Psycho Ward 86
08-11-2011, 07:18 PM
I feel about as good as if our lineup was wallace and cotchery. Besides ward and sanders will be ready to go at the beginning of the season, so like i said hes a backup.

my point exactly. you're happy he's here and you dont even know it lol.

GBMelBlount
08-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Good signing.

steelpride12
08-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Cotchery has no choice, but to impress and show up. He has been with the Jets for his entire career( 7 seasons) and he just wants to go with a winning team and I doubt teams are going to be interested in a player almost in his 30's. I know this will be a great move.

tube517
08-11-2011, 07:32 PM
This reminds me of the Terrence Mathis signing in 2002, where he tutored Randle El or Quincy Morgan in 2005. WR's get nicked up all the time. He'll be a solid 4th/5th WR, maybe a 3rd/4th until Sanders is ready. I like the signing.

86WARD
08-11-2011, 07:33 PM

I can't argue with that. It's not like I am banking on Ward getting injured and missing time. I just like the fact in theory that he is there as a security blanket if necessary. But like I've said numerous times...I'd rather see Brown and Sanders get snaps before Cotchery...unless Cotchery is on fire...

7willBheaven
08-11-2011, 08:33 PM
I was hoping to see him possibly get thrown into the fire some tomorrow...but looks like he wont be in washington...he'll be at camp Sunday though. So we'll see him in game 2.

steelerdude15
08-12-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm satisfied with this signing. I haven't seen him play that much, but he seems to be a decent WR. I hope does play well as a back up and can be a mentor to the younger WRs on the team. Welcome to the team Jerricho.

Austin87
08-12-2011, 03:54 AM
I really like this signing, Cotchery is a solid player and definateley makes our team better.

Galax Steeler
08-12-2011, 04:16 AM
I have no problem with the signing he can only help our team and make it better.

steeldawg
08-12-2011, 05:57 AM
my point exactly. you're happy he's here and you dont even know it lol.

lol, i have no problem with he signing, Im only saying while he adds a little depth to our wideouts he does exactly turn us into a prolific offense.

HometownGal
08-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Welcome to the Burgh Jerricho and let's see what you got! :drink: :tt02:

VTsteel
08-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Ya, I like the signing too. Cotchery is a quality signing of an undervalued veteran with something left in the tank and to play for. In my eyes this is on par with the Mewelde Moore and Keyaron Fox signings a few years ago. Good, quality veteran who can contribute when called upon.

Chidi29
08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
One other thought. Don't know if it's been mentioned yet.

Maybe we're looking to him as a punt returner? In that Randle El role last year where he'll come in when backed up in our own zone to judge when to fair catch, let the ball go, etc.

If he winds up being the number five receiver, which is what Gerry Dulac suggested today and is very possible, he'll need to be able to do as much as possible to make the signing worth while.

O'Malley
08-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Maybe we're looking to him as a punt returner? In that Randle El role last year where he'll come in when backed up in our own zone to judge when to fair catch, let the ball go, etc.

If he winds up being the number five receiver, which is what Gerry Dulac suggested today and is very possible, he'll need to be able to do as much as possible to make the signing worth while.

That's exactly what I've been thinking.... He'll at least be better then a fair catch every time!

Chidi29
08-12-2011, 05:15 PM
That's exactly what I've been thinking.... He'll at least be better then a fair catch every time!

Dn't undervalue the importance of that. The last thing you want is a rookie making a bone-headed mistake and pin the offense deep in its territory or worse, turn it over.

tube517
08-12-2011, 05:18 PM

Good point, JC has decent stats (not a lot) as a PR. And he doesn't FC every punt.

Chidi29
08-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Good point, JC has decent stats (not a lot) as a PR. And he doesn't FC every punt.

In that role, stats won't matter. Just being a vet and having experience back there is really what counts.

The Duke
08-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Dn't undervalue the importance of that. The last thing you want is a rookie making a bone-headed mistake and pin the offense deep in its territory or worse, turn it over.

well it's not going to be a rookie anymore.If antonio is back there (and I expect him to win that job) it's because they trust him to make the smart decision

but you're right, that is another area where Cotch could help us. If antonio does not mature in that area then just use him and save us the trouble. Once upon a time he was a good returner too

Chidi29
08-12-2011, 05:22 PM
well it's not going to be a rookie anymore.If antonio is back there (and I expect him to win that job) it's because they trust him to make the smart decision

but you're right, that is another area where Cotch could help us. If antonio does not mature in that area then just use him and save us the trouble. Once upon a time he was a good returner too

Brown may be the usual punt returner but it seems like you have to gain a lot of Tomlin's trust for that role. We've seen Moore and El be the guy the past two years despite being marginal return men.

The Duke
08-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Brown may be the usual punt returner but it seems like you have to gain a lot of Tomlin's trust for that role. We've seen Moore and El be the guy the past two years despite being marginal return men.

hopefully he earns that trust

can't remember at the moment, did brown make any boneheaded move on a return last year? I think I remember El making one, but he was out there much more than brown

tube517
08-12-2011, 05:27 PM
In that role, stats won't matter. Just being a vet and having experience back there is really what counts.

I'm looking at FC's mainly. And if he has the right "feel" of when to return and when to FC. Sorry, but EL did not have a good feel of being a PR. As a matter of fact, he declined from his first stint here. Maybe he was told to FC no matter what but there were times when he called for a FC before anyone was even 15 yds away, if that.

Oh, his PR avg for 2010 = 4.0 - Pitiful. Casey Hampton could fall down and roll his way to 5 yds per PR

Chidi29
08-12-2011, 05:33 PM
hopefully he earns that trust

can't remember at the moment, did brown make any boneheaded move on a return last year? I think I remember El making one, but he was out there much more than brown

I know there was at least one where he tried to pick up a bouncing ball and Anthony Madison had to bail him out and got hurt in the process.

He was smart overall no doubt helped by the ton of return experience at Central Michigan. But like I said, it's a role that seems to be reserved for NFL veterans.