PDA

View Full Version : Pay Homage to Steelers past

steelerfan
08-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Nothing too important here fans. I just thought I would start a thread to pay some homage to past Pittsburgh Steeler players who maybe DON'T get the recognition and respect they deserve. Oh sure it's easy to remember the guys like Rod Woodson, Greg Lloyd's of the Steelers world. But I thought I would try to remember those past starters, or IMPORTANT Back-up players that played ALL OUT/BALLS OUT for our team. Okay, I will start....I,,,as a long time steelers fan wish to PAY HOMAGE to.....

" Frank Pollard "....RB from Baylor. Played exclusively for us from 1980-1988.

To me fans Frank Pollard represents what a TRUE Steeler player is all about. Pollard, a 11th round draft pick from Baylor was our 5th, All time leading rusher in Steelers History. Okay, I know that's barely at 4,000 Yds, but still. Any fan old enough here to remember Pollard, and who has seen him play KNOWS Frank was a Hard hat, lunch pail type of RB/FB who did everything we ever asked of him. In light of OTHER Baylor Bear RB's the steelers selected,,,in round 1 of past drafts,,,Like
" Walter Abercrombie " and " Greg Hawthorne ",,,Pollard was easily the best.

No, Pollard was not part of any Super Bowl winning teams. And he was NOT All World. But he WAS a great Pittsburgh Steeler family member who SHOULD garnish the respect of ALL Steeler fans. Anyways fans, that MY first choice for Steeler players to pay Homage to. Please feel free to name some more :applaudit:

ALLD
08-06-2011, 02:46 PM
My number #1 underrated Steeler is L.C. Greenwood. He had the equipment manager paint his cleets gold in order to be seen on the same field as Joe Greene. Seven-time Pro Bowler, Andy Russell was also forgotten about when the HoF tandem LB corps of Lambert and Ham dominated opposing offenses during the team's dynastic run in the 1970s.

steelerfan
08-06-2011, 03:12 PM
I will respect anyones answer to this. But LC Greenwood hardly needs anyone to pay Homage to. The guy is a Hall of fame finalist, 6 time All Pro player. He is remembered by EVERYONE. As where Frank Pollard is not. That was the point of this thread. To remember past Steeler players who alot of fans today may not remember.

Chidi29
08-06-2011, 03:15 PM
To remember past Steeler players who alot of fans today may not remember.

so pretty much any player before 1972. :chuckle:

Chidi29
08-06-2011, 03:16 PM
I'll go with one of just two black players in the league in 1934. Offensive tackle Ray Kemp. Was cut after just four games but obviously faced hardship in trying to travel with the team. Couldn't always stay in the team hotel. Remember reading he had to once spend the night in a nearby YMCA.

steelerfan
08-06-2011, 03:22 PM
so pretty much any player before 1972. :chuckle:

Was Pollard before 72 ? But I BET MY LIFE you never have given him a second thought in a long while, or ever. And even if you have a player in mind before 72, that's fine.

Another " Meat & Potato " Steeler player I REALLY liked alot. And one who NEVER got the credit he so vastly deserved because yes, he did play in those leans seasons after the 70's, but before the Cowher years was
LB...." David Little " Those of us old enough to remember, remember David Little as a very under appreciated MLB who was every bit the disruptor that say a " Ray Lewis " is. But he was only voted to ONE Pro Bowl game, late in his career as a " Token " gesture. But the dude SHOULD have been a multiple time Pro Bowler. Little was his last name. But his on the field game was anything but " LITTLE "!!

We Love ya David. And I for one, deeply appreciate all you gave us on the field. May you rest in Peace :applaudit:

Chidi29
08-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Was Pollard before 72 ? But I BET MY LIFE you never have given him a second thought in a long while, or ever. And even if you have a player in mind before 72, that's fine.

Another " Meat & Potato " Steeler player I REALLY liked alot. And one who NEVER got the credit he so vastly deserved because yes, he did play in those leans seasons after the 70's, but before the Cowher years was
LB...." David Little " Those of us old enough to remember, remember David Little as a very under appreciated MLB who was every bit the disruptor that say a " Ray Lewis " is. But he was only voted to ONE Pro Bowl game, late in his career as a " Token " gesture. But the dude SHOULD have been a multiple time Pro Bowler. Little was his last name. But his on the field game was anything but " LITTLE "!!

We Love ya David. And I for one, deeply appreciate all you gave us on the field. May you rest in Peace :applaudit:

I was just kiddin around. Since we were rarely successful at any point before 72 and fans today tend to only talk about the team from the Immaculate Reception and on. Not all fans, don't get me wrong, but a lot don't know who Whiizzer White or Bullet Dudley are.

steelerfan
08-06-2011, 03:35 PM
I was just kiddin around. Since we were rarely successful at any point before 72 and fans today tend to only talk about the team from the Immaculate Reception and on. Not all fans, don't get me wrong, but a lot don't know who Whiizzer White or Bullet Dudley are.

Whizzer White ?? Okay seriously now you are being dumb. Not only was Whizzer NEVER a Steeler, but he played only 1 season with us, and was a 1st round pick. I mean c'mon, if you're not going to get into the spirt of this thing, you are just being foolish!

86WARD
08-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I always like Bryan Hinkle.

He was a solid player for the Steelers for 12 years and very underrated. Never really won any awards (was 2nd team All-Pro in '86,) never got voted to the Pro-Bowl, played on shitty teams, wasn't a "great" player but he was consistently good for the Steelers.

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/images/t_20325_07.jpg

I got a few others but I'll save them...

oneforthetoe
08-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Well, even though he has a couple of Rings, I'm going to say Robin Cole. Very complementary linebacker to Jack and Jack.

oneforthetoe
08-06-2011, 04:40 PM
I always like Bryan Hinkle.

He was a solid player for the Steelers for 12 years and very underrated. Never really won any awards (was 2nd team All-Pro in '86,) never got voted to the Pro-Bowl, played on shitty teams, wasn't a "great" player but he was consistently good for the Steelers.

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/images/t_20325_07.jpg

I got a few others but I'll save them...

Hinkle was great. I remember him picking off Joe Montana, when the Steelers handed Frisco their only loss in their 15 - 1 season in the early eighties (83?).

Devilsdancefloor
08-06-2011, 06:07 PM
John Banaszak was a bring your lunch pail kinda of guy that doesnt get the recondition he should

86WARD
08-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Robin Cole was another I had on my list!!

Chidi29
08-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Whizzer White ?? Okay seriously now you are being dumb. Not only was Whizzer NEVER a Steeler, but he played only 1 season with us, and was a 1st round pick. I mean c'mon, if you're not going to get into the spirt of this thing, you are just being foolish!

I'm glad you're respecting all answers like you said you were going to.

The fact that he played for us makes him a Steeler. It's safe to assume the only reason he played football at all was because of the Chief. Whizzer had little intention to play football. Especially in a league that was second fiddle to baseball. He was a Rhodes Scholar who was going to attend Oxford. It was only when Art Sr. made him an offer he couldn't refuse, $15,000 an offer that was unheard of at the time, that he decided to play. Then he went to war the next year.

tube517
08-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Randy "The Rabbi" Grossman - Underrated TE of the 70's

Louis Lipps - WR in the 80's (2 time pro bowler and rookie of the year) Many forget him.

whodat1
08-08-2011, 09:03 AM
One of the most under-publicized Steelers was Rocky Bleier. Without him Franco Harris wouldn't have the numbers he did. Rocky was a great blocking back, who had some decent numbers of his own.

GoSlash27
08-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Bullet Bill Dudley and Yancey Thigpen.

Chidi29
08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Have to put Lynn Chadnois on the list. A bright spot who played on mediocre teams. Biggest contrbution as a return man and still has the second highest kickoff average in league history, only behind Gale Sayers. There's the story of him returning a punt 90+ yards for a touchdown against the Giants, it getting nulified due to penalty, and then Chadnois doing it again on the following play.

He would have had an even more successful career had Buddy Parker not cut him in one of his tirades.

86WARD
08-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Barry Foster

http://www.anacondasports.com/wcsstore/anaconda10/images/ph-foster-s_lge.jpg

steelerfan
08-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Some great answers. But IMHO, is Rocky Blier, Barry Foster or Louis Lipps really past steeler players that need to be remembered ? Or who were forgotten players ? They were all All-Pro players for the most part.