PDA

View Full Version : Steelers turn focus toward Polamalu contract

LLT
08-06-2011, 06:05 AM
By Ralph N. Paulk and Mark Kaboly,
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, August 6, 2011

With LaMarr Woodley's contract done, the Steelers will turn their efforts toward signing safety Troy Polamalu to a long-term deal. Polamalu, who will become an unrestricted free agent following the season, signed a 5-year, $33 million deal in 2007 that made him the highest paid safety in the league at the time.

"My only comment is, because I know things can really get misconstrued a lot, is that everything regarding our contract talks will stay between the Rooneys and my agent," Polamalu said. "Other than that, I would love to retire a Pittsburgh Steeler." When asked if talks have already begun, Polamalu smirked before saying: "I'd love to retire a Pittsburgh Steeler."

Polamalu, 30, is entering his ninth year. He would like his next contract to be his last.
"That all depends on the years," Polamalu said. "If it is a one-year (contract) of course it wouldn't be." San Diego signed safety Eric Weddle to a 5-year, $40 million deal last week that should increase Polamalu's market value.

Read more: Steelers turn focus toward Polamalu contract - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750314.html#ixzz1UFIP4iCe) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750314.html#ixzz1UFIP4iCe

Godfather
08-06-2011, 10:23 AM
I think Troy will be able to play at a high level for at least 3-4 more years and be a decent player for a couple more. Front-load the contract so we don't have to cut him when he finally slows down, and give him a long term deal.

Psycho Ward 86
08-06-2011, 10:55 AM
I say give him a 3 year deal. Probably going to need him around a bit longer if we dont start filling up our safety depth these next couple of years.

"In a spirited backs-on-backers drill, running backs Mewelde Moore, Jamie McCoy and Baron Batch stood out. Batch, considered a long shot for a roster spot, didn't give an inch even against linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who earlier this week signed a $61 million deal."

"Brown, vying for the punt-return duties, turned heads with several catches, including a circus grab near the sidelines. He also beat two defenders in the corner of the end zone in pulling in a touchdown pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger."

"Atkins looked solid in 'backs on backers when he beat veteran tight end John Gilmore cleanly almost knocking him to the ground, then beat him again on a re-do. Atkins won a couple more 1-on-1s, including one against camp phenom Baron Batch."

Lovin' what im hearing out of camp so far.

oneforthetoe
08-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I actually see Troy as a franchise tag candidate next year. Given his injuries that seems to be the most logical plan, unless he agrees to a pretty reasonable contract.

7willBheaven
08-06-2011, 12:07 PM
I heard Timmons was next not Troy (not sayin they cant work on 2 at the same time though).