PDA

View Full Version : Steelers still insist they were targeted by NFL

LLT
08-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Steelers still insist they were targeted by NFL
By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, August 6, 2011

Again, NFL officials are putting an emphasis on helmet-to-helmet hits and illegal contact to defenseless players.

Perhaps it was a coincidence, but league officials began making their rounds to all 32 teams with a visit Friday to the Steelers' training camp at St. Vincent College. In 2010, the defending AFC champions were assessed a league-high six roughing-the-passer penalties.

However, the Steelers thrust themselves in the middle of a heated debate with commissioner Roger Goodell after linebacker James Harrison was assessed a league-high four fines, mostly for illegal contact and helmet-to-helmet blows.

Harrison, and many of his teammates, suggested the league targeted the Steelers. Rick Patterson, a 16-year NFL official, vehemently denied those charges following a presentation of this year's rule changes.

Read more: Steelers still insist they were targeted by NFL - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750317.html#ixzz1UFGih4DA

Butch
08-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Of course the league is going to say they didn't target the Steelers. I'm glad the Steelers have the balls to say what they think, but I'm also just as sure that this will go the way of spygate and eventually be swept under the rug. I'm not going to rehash what I have already said about this but "Go To Hell" has targeted us almost since the begining of his tenure.

fansince'76
08-06-2011, 06:59 AM
I'm glad the Steelers have the balls to say what they think....

Normally, I would agree, but at this point it's counterproductive. I think the Steelers need to clam up and focus on the task at hand as they have some unfinished business from last season. NFL players (besides the Steelers) have voted to ratify the new CBA which has only reaffirmed Goodell's position as the initial sole judge in disciplinary matters. However, if I hear ANY player besides one who wears a Steelers uniform bitch that Goodell is being unfair, my attitude is basically going to be, "Tough shit, this is what you voted for. Deal with it."

Butch
08-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Normally, I would agree, but at this point it's counterproductive. I think the Steelers need to clam up and focus on the task at hand as they have some unfinished business from last season. "

I really don't think they will have a hard time focussing on what is at hand, hopefully anyway. They had a lot of adversity last year and made it pretty far only coming up short in the very end. I don't think that was due to lack of focus but more due to the way they played the entire post season, we never seemed to get a full game out of 'em and it bit us in the butt.

Edman
08-06-2011, 08:58 AM
I say too bad. The Steelers better be ready to get targeted again this year.

Stop crying and just play football.

43Hitman
08-06-2011, 09:20 AM
They really need to just let this go, and get back to focusing on this season.

86WARD
08-06-2011, 09:34 AM
I say too bad. The Steelers better be ready to get targeted again this year.

Stop crying and just play football.

BINGO.

steeldawg
08-06-2011, 09:37 AM
I personally think its ridiculous, why would the nfl target the steelers?

ALLD
08-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I think the players are wayyyyy off base and paranoid here. No reason why the new rules changes have anything to do with the "James Harrison" rule or the "Hine Ward" or "Mel Blount" rule.

The new changes actually have more to do with the "Tom Brady" rule because they pussify the NFL.

HometownGal
08-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Normally, I would agree, but at this point it's counterproductive. I think the Steelers need to clam up and focus on the task at hand as they have some unfinished business from last season. NFL players (besides the Steelers) have voted to ratify the new CBA which has only reaffirmed Goodell's position as the initial sole judge in disciplinary matters. However, if I hear ANY player besides one who wears a Steelers uniform bitch that Goodell is being unfair, my attitude is basically going to be, "Tough shit, this is what you voted for. Deal with it."

This. ^^ Can't say it any better.

86WARD
08-07-2011, 07:39 AM
So I guess they will all be victims in the Batman movie? I was hoping for villain roles.