PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone left worth slapping the franchise tag on?

Psycho Ward 86
08-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Now that Woodley's off the franchise tag and signed to a long term deal, do you guys see any of our own guys that might be worth hitting with the franchise tag?

tube517
08-05-2011, 04:19 PM
http://www.xflmvp.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/drop.jpg

SteelMember
08-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I believe everyone that was an UFA has either been signed or released at this point.

So my answer is, no.

O'Malley
08-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Wallace,Timmons?

TMC
08-05-2011, 05:36 PM
I assume you mean in future years. Next season, Wallace, Timmons, and Troy are up for free agency. Troy has stated he wants to retire a Steeler. Much like Ike, I think he will take a little less than the market value to stay. Ike said he would not, but $7M a season is not market value. I think Troy will as well. And, I really do not blame him. At this point in his career, he should not be hurting for money. He is established in Pittsburgh, beloved by the fans, and if he finishes here, he will always be able to walk into anywhere in Pittsburgh and have the people roll out the red carpet. Why would you destroy that for a grand total of $4M million on a $25M deal?

So, you are basically talking about Timmons and Wallace. Wallace is a free agent, but he is a restricted free agent. The Steelers will hit him with the 1st and 3rd RFA tag. It was roughly $2.5M this season, so it would be under $3M next season. This will actually give them a little leverage against Wallace. It would be smarter for him to go long-term and get paid than it would to take that risk.

So, Timmons is the guy you tag. Then, you are protected with just about every big FA you have.

steeldevil
08-05-2011, 05:41 PM

SWEED!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, we have to do whatever it takes to keep this guy. :grin:

Oh yeah, I'm on the bus. Are you? There is room, don't be scared. Just hop on, you won't regret it. Chest Bump

Psycho Ward 86
08-05-2011, 05:45 PM
No i meant this year, i havent been totally keeping track of whose left out there though, so i was curious

SteelMember
08-05-2011, 05:47 PM
TMC, This is the second post I have read of yours today. If these are the examples of what I can expect in the future...

I demand you post more the 46 times since 5/10. :chuckle:

:drink:

Chidi29
08-05-2011, 06:48 PM
TMC, This is the second post I have read of yours today. If these are the examples of what I can expect in the future...

I second that.

86WARD
08-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Other than Sweed...

Timmons would be my first choice. Wallace and Polamalu. I think they can actually extend all three relatively easily...and obviously hope they do...

TMC
08-05-2011, 07:31 PM

I'll try. I post a lot on another board that I was a member with prior to this board opening. But, this board has some good peeps. So, I like it here as well. With that said, I'll do what I can to be more active.

tube517
08-05-2011, 07:55 PM
I second that.

I third that.

Psycho Ward 86
08-05-2011, 11:18 PM
I third that.

i fourth that. i dont think you have much of a choice at this point TMC :chuckle:

Steeltreal
08-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Wallace is a free agent, but he is a restricted free agent. The Steelers will hit him with the 1st and 3rd RFA tag. Oakland just might pull the trigger here

Psycho Ward 86
08-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Oakland just might pull the trigger here

what is that, like two 1st round picks for Wallace? Um...ill take it!

Colbert armed with 2 1st round picks in a single draft is about as lethal as it gets.

Chidi29
08-06-2011, 12:08 AM
what is that, like two 1st round picks for Wallace? Um...ill take it!

Colbert armed with 2 1st round picks in a single draft is about as lethal as it gets.

You're severely underestimating Oakland. We're talking about trading draft picks and speed.

You'll get a first rounder each year until Al Davis dies.*

*Which is never

zulater
08-06-2011, 07:47 AM

lol, great picture, captures the true essense of Limas Sweed's soon to be over tenure as a Steeler.

TMC
08-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Oakland just might pull the trigger here

The compensation would be a 1st and 3rd round pick in the draft, but the Steelers still have right of first refusal. They could poison pill the deal IF Wallace so desired, but those only seem to work when the player is pissed and wants out. I would think if the Raiders made him an offer, he could return to the Steelers and tell them the offer and they would either match or tell him to take the cash.

I think you match it. Unless he is just given a stupid amount, you have to keep Wallace. He has all the tools to be THE best wide receiver in the NFL.

Psycho Ward 86
08-06-2011, 10:44 AM
You're severely underestimating Oakland. We're talking about trading draft picks and speed.

*Which is never

hahaha

steeldevil
08-06-2011, 10:58 AM

*Which is never

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtXLyDRmr9Slca5T0-N8CM4Le_Qb66Q9LNi11upaxQLL2Xwo1dslgy_hM

Yeah Al is still looking pretty good for his age, not sure who the guy on the left is though....

BlastFurnace
08-06-2011, 02:06 PM

Of every board I have been on, TMC is the best and most informed poster of them all. I'm not convinced that he doesn't work for the Steelers.

86WARD
08-06-2011, 03:53 PM

No joke...he's in a contract year...LOOK OUT!