PDA

View Full Version : Kovacevic: Steelers must sustain fear factor

stillers4me
08-05-2011, 05:41 AM
Troy Polamalu isn't about to pull aside some rookie here at St. Vincent College, grit his teeth and grill the kid on how the Steelers' defense instills fear in opponents.

"I don't think it's something that's ever talked about," Polamalu told me before practice the other day. "I think that when people come here ... you just see right away that they don't fit in. Like, we don't have raw cover corners here. I've seen great cover corners in these camps who just didn't make our team."

So, I came back, how does one fit in?

"I just think we play football in its purest form," he said, "and that's hitting and tackling, regardless of what the rules may say."................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/columnists/s_750127.html

SteelerEmpire
08-05-2011, 11:39 AM
These are some complex rules:

The new rules

The NFL's new safety guidelines, approved in May, prohibit "forcibly hitting the neck or head area" of any player. They also prohibit hits against a player in a "defenseless posture," which was redefined as the following:

>> A player in the act or just after throwing a pass

>> A receiver attempting to catch a pass or one who has not completed a catch and hasn't had time to protect himself or hasn't clearly become a runner

>> A runner whose forward progress has been stopped

>> A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air

>> A player on the ground at the end of a play

>> A kicker/punter during a return

>> A quarterback any time after a turnover

>> A player who receives a blindside block when the blocker is moving toward his own end-line and approaches the opponent from behind or the side

Source: NFL

fansince'76
08-05-2011, 11:48 AM

The new rules

The NFL's new safety guidelines, approved in May, prohibit "forcibly hitting the neck or head area" of any player. They also prohibit hits against a player in a "defenseless posture," which was redefined as the following:

>> A receiver attempting to catch a pass or one who has not completed a catch and hasn't had time to protect himself or hasn't clearly become a runner

>> A player who receives a blindside block when the blocker is moving toward his own end-line and approaches the opponent from behind or the side

Yep, those changes will really help improve NFL officiating along with making the game eminently more enjoyable to watch. No gray areas there or any chances of being interpreted differently from week to week or game to game, no, not at all.

:sarcasm2:

O'Malley
08-05-2011, 12:36 PM
What are they trying to do to football? Goodell gots to go, where's the D.C sniper when you really need him?:peep:

steel striker
08-05-2011, 12:57 PM
The other rule that we steeler fans know. Every qb is protected by the NFL that is not named Ben Roetlisberger. I'm just saying....

Psycho Ward 86
08-05-2011, 01:27 PM

The new rules

That one is SUCH CRAP

Count Steeler
08-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Where's the fine print? These rules apply especially to players wearing Black and Gold and play for a city that starts with "P".

oneforthetoe
08-05-2011, 03:26 PM
http://media.nj.com/giants_impact/photo/9866951-large.jpg

Roger: "Ok D., so this agreement permits me to fine the Steelers all I want."

D:"Absolutely Roger. Move your hand a little to the left."

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Robert+Kraft+Roger+Goodell+NFL+Players+Resume+oIm_ LQGrhgPl.jpg

Bob Kraft: " So Roger, have taken care of our little problem, as I asked you to?"

Roger: " Yes, I have Mr Kraft. These new rules will allow me to fine the Steelers and how. Can I have my reward now?"

Bob Kraft : "In due time Roger. In due time"

Jerry Richardson: "I like Cheese."