PDA

View Full Version : Worilds: 'My time will come'

zulater
08-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Jason Worilds has this problem. It is trying to find playing time at a position in the Steelers defense that is harder to crack than the DaVinci Code.

The reason?

He is an outside linebacker, one with enough promise and upside that the Steelers drafted him in the second round in 2010. But he plays behind four-time Pro Bowler James Harrison on the right side of the defense.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201108/20110804steelers_330.jpg

If he gets moved to the other side, he is behind left outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who has had three consecutive seasons of double-digit sacks and is ready to get a big multi-year contract as the team's franchise player.

Worse, Harrison and Woodley, who have combined for 71 1/2 sacks since 2008, most by a linebacker tandem in the NFL, almost never come off the field.

"They are two great ones," Worilds said. "They were here before me, they were here first, they made names for themselves. They are great players and they're great mentors. Just to be a part of this Steelers linebacker lineage is an honor. My time will come."

The Steelers would like it to come soon. Worilds (6 feet 2, 257 pounds), a converted defensive end who played at Virginia Tech, will not supplant Harrison or Woodley any time soon. But that doesn't mean the Steelers wouldn't like to be able to get him some playing time, if for no other reason than to give their two starting outside linebackers an occasional rest to keep them as fresh as possible throughout the season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11216/1165047-66.stm#ixzz1U7FDzhnr

fansince'76
08-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Yep, his time will come, and probably sooner rather than later. I have a feeling this may be Harrison's last year due to the back issues.

Count Steeler
08-04-2011, 09:08 PM
If Harrison needs more time to recover, it is nice to know we have a player like Worlids ready to step in. It would be nice if we blow some opponents away and he can play in some 4th quarters.

zulater
08-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I was really excited with the brief glimpses we got of Worldis last year. The guy is fast of the edge. If as the article states he's added 5 pounds without losing any speed he could really help this team as a change of pace pass rusher. I hope they can use Worldis to keep Harrison from wearing down later in the season again this year.

Nadroj 20
08-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Good attitude from Worilds. He is correct because his time will come. James is older and has back issues and we could actually see Worilds playing time increase this season due to that fact.

I much rather rotate Worilds in once in awhile to give James a break then leave James in there the entire time to cause more damage to himself. Plus giving James a breather every once in awhile to come back in with fresher legs?? that would be very nice!

Psycho Ward 86
08-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Man i hope we can resign Lamaar Woodley to a long contract and Worilds can be Harrison's heir apparent

The Duke
08-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm willing to bet Goodell will suspend Harrison for no reason at all at some point this season, so I'm glad Worilds will be ready

He's saying all the right things, looks bigger and better, and has, by all accounts, been having a great camp. So far so good

We'll need you buddy!

Craic
08-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Anyone for switching to a 2-5 system? :brick:

tube517
08-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Let's go....HO-KIES!

oh, er, um....go steelers! :chuckle: :tt03:

Steeltreal
08-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Anyone for switching to a 2-5 system? :brick:

Might work if we had a fat F*ck like Haloti Ngata

Pittsburgh43
08-05-2011, 12:56 AM
I'm a big fan of Worilds, kid's gonna be a beast.

Vis
08-05-2011, 02:35 AM
Let's see him play a bit before anointing him.