PDA

View Full Version : Steelers offer extension to linebacker Woodley

polamalubeast
08-03-2011, 12:07 PM
LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers' Pro Bowl linebacker said Tuesday that the team has approached him about signing a multiyear contract.

In February, management applied the franchise tag to Woodley, and he accepted a one-year, $10 million contract. If the team and player can agree to a long-term deal, Woodley benefits by receiving more guaranteed money, and the team benefits by reducing its salary-cap hit for the coming season.

Woodley declined to discuss specifics of the Steelers' approach, but, when asked if the term could be five or six years, he smiled and replied, "Hopefully, yeah. That would be nice."

Read more: Steelers offer extension to linebacker Woodley - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749603.html#ixzz1TzE4PPbB

HometownGal
08-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Make it happen Wood & Steelers FO! :pray:

suitanim
08-03-2011, 12:15 PM
No reason for us NOT to offer him the longer deal. He's young, and just now coming into his prime. It's not like we're offering a 32-year-old a 6 year deal which both sides know will never be honored...

Butch
08-03-2011, 12:25 PM
LaMarr is a great Steeler who has consistantly produced for us, has a great attitude, so I look forward to us getting him under contract soon.

Chidi29
08-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm just worried about how high the price will be. Lots of guaranteed money I'm sure. Considering the track record we have at OLB, being able to put in seemingly whoever and have success, I wouldn't break the bank for him even as good as he is.

slippy
08-03-2011, 02:06 PM
every attempt should be made to win more super bowls while we have big ben... so sign woodley now.

Vis
08-03-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm just worried about how high the price will be. Lots of guaranteed money I'm sure. Considering the track record we have at OLB, being able to put in seemingly whoever and have success, I wouldn't break the bank for him even as good as he is.

I think the track record is in drafting the right talent at LB. Sure we could do that again but we need that pick for OL and CB

steeldevil
08-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Get him signed long term at a fair price.

Chidi29
08-03-2011, 02:13 PM
I think the track record is in drafting the right talent at LB. Sure we could do that again but we need that pick for OL and CB

Well, we already have one LB with promise in Worilds. We don't have to draft one right away.

It's not like we use high draft picks on CBs. We don't.

I'll draft one if it means I don't have to shell out $40 million in guaranteed money.

All these restructures are needed now but will bite is in the butt in a few years.

Craic
08-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Well, we already have one LB with promise in Worilds. We don't have to draft one right away.

It's not like we use high draft picks on CBs. We don't.

I'll draft one if it means I don't have to shell out $40 million in guaranteed money.

All these restructures are needed now but will bite is in the butt in a few years.

True, but, we have a team now that is able to go to the SB practically every year, and has gone out the SB 3 of the last 6. The bite in a few years will hurt, but it'll hurt as much as it did in 2007, when we bit the bullet on the 2004/2005 caps manipulations and deals.

ALLD
08-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Pay the man already.

Pittsburgh43
08-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Get it done guys!

hotrodder07
08-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Pay the man already.

He's certainly earned it! And I'd love to see him in a Steeler uniform for a long time. He's a great player with a great attitude, which is exactly what the Steelers love. Get him locked up!

SteelGhost
08-03-2011, 07:07 PM
I'll be VERY happy if they sign him long term, Wood's a beast.

Pittsburgh43
08-04-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm not sure about the rules applying to players not being able to practice until August 4th (today) so maybe someone can clarify. But some sources are saying it's a done deal, but they were waiting until today to sign it so Wood could practice. We shall see.

Chidi29
08-04-2011, 01:32 AM
I'm not sure about the rules applying to players not being able to practice until August 4th (today) so maybe someone can clarify. But some sources are saying it's a done deal, but they were waiting until today to sign it so Wood could practice. We shall see.

That makes sense.

Of course, if the CBA is not ratified, then the players can't practice until it is. Fingers crossed.

Chidi29
08-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Harrison was also given the day off today. Probably partly due to him needing one but he may have also redone his deal. Meaning he wasn't allowed to practice.

If the CBA isn't ratified, then he couldn't either.

Pittsburgh43
08-04-2011, 01:51 AM
All signs are pointing towards the CBA being ratified, but like we learned with the lockout, anything can happen.

The Duke
08-04-2011, 03:24 AM
welp, forget about Wimbley's contract being a stumbling block. Hali's is worse!

Source: Chiefs lock up LB Hali for 5 years, $60M

http://galvestondailynews.com/ap/87ae3a/

86WARD
08-04-2011, 08:17 AM
I don't think a new contract would affect Woodley because he was already under a deal. I could be wrong thouggh...All they would have to donis announce it at 3:59. 4:00pm is the cut off time...which is why everyone changed their practice schedule...

86WARD
08-04-2011, 08:17 AM
welp, forget about Wimbley's contract being a stumbling block. Hali's is worse!

http://galvestondailynews.com/ap/87ae3a/

35 million guaranteed...

vader29
08-04-2011, 08:21 AM
All signs are pointing towards the CBA being ratified, but like we learned with the lockout, anything can happen.
The Steelers posted this on facebook about a half hour ago:

Because of the anticipated ratification of the CBA, Steelers practice for Thursday, Aug. 4 has been moved back to 3:55 p.m. This is so the 15 players who signed contracts since the lockout ended can practice with the team. Gates at Saint Vincent College open to the public at 2:30.