PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Adams, not Starks, could return

7willBheaven
08-03-2011, 01:58 AM
The Steelers might bring back one of the tackles they cut, but it won't be Max Starks .

It appears the team has little interest in re-signing Starks, who had been their starting left tackle, because he is overweight and out of shape, a source told the Post-Gazette. It is more likely they could re-sign right tackle Flozell Adams if he doesn't sign with another team.

If they do, it is possible they will move right tackle Willie Colon to right guard -- something they have been reluctant to do because of their style of offense. But, more teams in the AFC North are playing a 4-3 defensive front which would allow the Steelers to better utilize Colon's skills as a run-blocker.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11215/1164705-66.stm

------------------

I wouldnt be against this one bit. Also the article mentions that Curtis Brown took advantage of playing with the 1st team during practice...thats awesome...thats what these guys need to do.

Pittsburgh43
08-03-2011, 02:49 AM
That sounds great to me! It'd be good to have a vet like Flo back, giving us depth and it'd let Gilbert get some experience under his belt before he's thrown into the fire. Colon might be better suited at guard anyway. I'm all for it.

Austin87
08-03-2011, 03:18 AM
I would welcome Flozell back with open arms.

fansince'76
08-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Sounds good to me. I expressed the sentiment in another recent thread that I'd like to see them bring Flo back.

Butch
08-03-2011, 06:41 AM
I would love to have him back but my question is why report this and bring attention to what you are planning? Keep it under wraps until the deal is done. Hope we get him back.

86WARD
08-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Sounds fine. That LT spot still scares me...

Steeldude
08-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Sounds fine. That LT spot still scares me...

i totally agree. scott as the starter is scary. how bad is the backup going to be? i hope it's not hills again.

HometownGal
08-03-2011, 03:20 PM
BRING BACK THE HOTEL FLO! :pray: :pray: :pray:

I quickly became a fan of his though I hated him as a Cryboy. He did a great job last season coming into a new system plagued with injuries across the line and his teammates seem to like and respect him immensely. He's a good fit so c'mon FO - what are you waiting for?

steelerfan
08-03-2011, 03:26 PM
BRING BACK THE HOTEL FLO! :pray: :pray: :pray:

I quickly became a fan of his though I hated him as a Cryboy. He did a great job last season coming into a new system plagued with injuries across the line and his teammates seem to like and respect him immensely. He's a good fit so c'mon FO - what are you waiting for?

I understand what you're saying Gal. But Adams was far from perfect. And his career is mostly done. Our future at RT will likely be Gilbert. Now, if you, or the team I should say doesn't want to risk starting a rookie RT, I guess I can see that. But Gilbert might be the best Pass Blocker we have cause Flo is just too slow to get out on the edge. I mean a player has gotta get his feet wet sometime. And whether he starts now or not. Waiting a year won't make the transition anymore easy.

But overall Adams did come through for us, and if they wanna start him another year, I'm okay with it. But I also would like to see what others like Hills and Scott, and Gilbert can do cause those guys, not Adams are our future.

SteelMember
08-03-2011, 03:35 PM
He's a good fit so c'mon FO - what are you waiting for?

His price to come down.

If he's getting no bites, he will need to lower his asking price for ANY team to become interested. The clock is ticking, and he's not getting any younger sitting out.

If he wants 7mil, he may need to come down to 5. :noidea:

steelerfan
08-03-2011, 03:40 PM
His price to come down.

If he's getting no bites, he will need to lower his asking price for ANY team to become interested. The clock is ticking, and he's not getting any younger sitting out.

If he wants 7mil, he may need to come down to 5. :noidea:

7 Million ? Where did you get that from ? Adams was already on the books for 5 million before we cut him. If anything, he will have to take 2 million at best. But no one is giving him anymore then that.

GBMelBlount
08-03-2011, 04:16 PM
I am glad Starks is gone. I cannot stand laziness and apathy.

Like others, I would love to see Flozell back. He seems well liked and has a good attitude.

ALLD
08-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Starks ate himself out of the NFL.

SteelGhost
08-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Flo can play one more year decently in a black and gold uni for the right price :thumbsup:

HometownGal
08-03-2011, 07:21 PM
I understand what you're saying Gal. But Adams was far from perfect. And his career is mostly done. Our future at RT will likely be Gilbert. Now, if you, or the team I should say doesn't want to risk starting a rookie RT, I guess I can see that. But Gilbert might be the best Pass Blocker we have cause Flo is just too slow to get out on the edge. I mean a player has gotta get his feet wet sometime. And whether he starts now or not. Waiting a year won't make the transition anymore easy.

But overall Adams did come through for us, and if they wanna start him another year, I'm okay with it. But I also would like to see what others like Hills and Scott, and Gilbert can do cause those guys, not Adams are our future.

I think Flo could be a very good mentor for Gilbert and am all for the Steelers signing him to a year deal. I'd love to see him go out with a SB ring.

But Adams was far from perfect.

He had a history of altercations with players on the field and some cheap shotting after the whistle while with the Cryboys but I'd call a 5X Pro Bowler and 1X All Pro Teamer a pretty damned good career.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Always liked the idea of Colon at RG. If the Browns and Bengals are playing a 4-3, then he will have a DT on him and that is fine. I think the Ravens still play a 3-4 mostly dont they?? In that case he ends up on Ngata or scraping to the ILB depending on the play.

If Flo does return, it can be Scott, Kemo, Pouncey, Colon, Adams. That is a pretty good line IMO, with the exception of Scott being average. The likely backups will then be Gilbert, Legursky, Chris Scott and either Foster or Keith Williams. Hills has got to be bust and a camp cut this year!!!

steelreserve
08-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Honestly, signing Adams last year worked out so well that if we brought him back again, I'm sure he'd be hurt for most of the year with some nagging foot injury or something, just because karma would want to remind us it doesn't always work that way. We'll have to do without him.

The Duke
08-04-2011, 03:19 AM
Always liked the idea of Colon at RG. If the Browns and Bengals are playing a 4-3, then he will have a DT on him and that is fine. I think the Ravens still play a 3-4 mostly dont they?? In that case he ends up on Ngata or scraping to the ILB depending on the play.

If Flo does return, it can be Scott, Kemo, Pouncey, Colon, Adams. That is a pretty good line IMO, with the exception of Scott being average. The likely backups will then be Gilbert, Legursky, Chris Scott and either Foster or Keith Williams. Hills has got to be bust and a camp cut this year!!!

hey if the dolphins can move someone like Vernon Carey to guard after an ACL tear I see no reason why it shouldn't be the same with Colon

http://www.newsday.com/sports/dolphins-carey-moves-to-guard-1.3072978

They kept Hills over Thad Gibson last year. Wouldn't be surprised if they kept him again. But better competition should really kick him out this time

86WARD
08-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Thad Gibson...letting him go was a mistake...

And please...don't compare anything to the Dolphins....yikes!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-04-2011, 06:01 PM
hey if the dolphins can move someone like Vernon Carey to guard after an ACL tear I see no reason why it shouldn't be the same with Colon

http://www.newsday.com/sports/dolphins-carey-moves-to-guard-1.3072978

They kept Hills over Thad Gibson last year. Wouldn't be surprised if they kept him again. But better competition should really kick him out this time

Did I ever mention that the Steelers passed on Carl Nicks to take Tony Hills. :sorry:

The Duke
08-04-2011, 06:21 PM
And please...don't compare anything to the Dolphins....yikes!!

Carey is arguably a better player than Colon so it is comparable. That is if it works of course

Did I ever mention that the Steelers passed on Carl Nicks to take Tony Hills. :sorry:

really? never heard it from you :chuckle:

steelerfan
08-05-2011, 02:01 PM
So much for Flo coming back.

Steelers | Willie Colon staying at OT (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/gnews.php?id=730776-steelers-willie-colon-staying-at-ot)
Fri, 05 Aug 2011 11:54:33 -0700
Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) OT Willie Colon (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/player/14749/nfl/willie-colon) said he is staying at offensive tackle and has not been asked to move to offensive guard. Colon said he would not be against moving to guard if the team asked.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1UBNffVTC

86WARD
08-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Fuck that...lol. Give it a week it two of preseason games...