PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger restructures contract to create cap space

polamalubeast
08-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Ben Roethlisberger agreed to a restructure to create cap space for the #steelers

http://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/98104022476668928

Bluecoat96
08-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Good boy Ben.

Austin87
08-01-2011, 02:16 PM
:applaudit:

steelerdude15
08-01-2011, 02:40 PM
I was hoping we would have done this and I'm glad he did.

polamalubeast
08-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Ben roethlisberger and James Harrison have restructured contracts to help #steelers get under salary cap.

http://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/98121701925208064

SteelMember
08-01-2011, 03:13 PM
but what about Woodley?

frownie face.

I guess that will be on Troy.

siss
08-01-2011, 03:16 PM
But But but but but but the BSPNTMZ says that Ben is a bad bad bad man and horrible teammate.

[/sarcasm]

steeldevil
08-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Good. Does this mean they can't practice until Aug 4th now? Not a big deal for them as they are veterans though.

kmsteelerwr15
08-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I had a feeling this was going to happen. So much for being a horrible teammate.

fansince'76
08-01-2011, 03:18 PM
But But but but but but the BSPNTMZ says that Ben is a bad bad bad man and horrible teammate.

[/sarcasm]

And he hates kidz! :chuckle:

oneforthetoe
08-01-2011, 03:22 PM
but what about Woodley?

frownie face.

I guess that will be on Troy.

Here is my thought on that. I'm guessing that Woodley's agent was using the fact that the Steelers were over the cap as leverage. Or, at the very least, the Steelers FO thought the agent might use their cap issues against them. Now, assuming the Steelers are able to get under the cap without a deal for Woodley, , they can negotiate from much more even levels.

86WARD
08-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Anyone know how much got freed up?

siss
08-01-2011, 03:28 PM

And puppies...oh wait that Vick :heh::lol::rofl:

stillers4me
08-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Ben and James!! Our heros! :applaudit:

stillers4me
08-01-2011, 03:45 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1269370077/edphoto1_normal.jpgEdBouchette (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/EdBouchette)Ed Bouchette

Brett Keisel reworks contract too to help #steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23steelers) w cap room

T-E-A-M!! Yeah team!!

SteelMember
08-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Anyone know how much got freed up?

Last I heard, they were 10 mil over. I don't know how much Ben and James saved... transferred.

This is all we get for now. http://postgazette.com/pg/11213/1164438-100.stm

stillers4me
08-01-2011, 04:03 PM
We needed to sign Ike ASAP before someone else grabbed him. (and now he can't practice until Thursday). Woodley is tagged so they can wait until as late as Wednesday night to have him sign. If they give him a new contract earlier than that, he would miss practices.

Am I talking out of my butt or is that the way it works?? Hopefully, the restructuring will allow them to get Woodley his deal and save a few other vets.

BnG_Hevn
08-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Does restructure mean "less money"? If not, then why all the kudos to him?

Pittsburgh43
08-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Way to put the team first, Ben & James. Kudos

stillers4me
08-01-2011, 04:09 PM

I think it means less money this year. (at least this year) The money gets distributed differently. And nothing says they have to do it...so yes, kudos to them.

86WARD
08-01-2011, 04:11 PM

No. For argument sake, same money. He just takes cash up front (which is spread over the length of the deal) and a lower salary...lol. He doesn't have to...so that's where the kudos cones in.

SteelMember
08-01-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't believe under the "tag" practice is an issue. More worried about having the money before the season starts... Before all negotiations shut down. At this point next year, he will most definately "test the waters" and probably become too expensive for us.

steelerfan
08-01-2011, 04:45 PM
It's great that Ben, Brent and James all re-worked their deals to help. But, if the season starts, and Aaron Smith is still here getting ALL his over 4 1/2 million dollar base salary,,,I will be disgusted beyond belief. No way that guy should be getting paid what he is when he has done next to nothing the past 2 years, AND when we have a Pro Bowler in Brent on one side, and a 3rd year STUD like Ziggy on the other.

JayC
08-01-2011, 04:51 PM
yeah Aaron Smith seems one of the nicest guys their can be off the field but he doesn't take a pay cut after missing so many games that is just wrong. hopefully it happens or ill be surprised and disappointed.

tube517
08-01-2011, 04:56 PM
He will be suspended for the first 4 games and have to apologize for restructuring his contract. Goodhell will have nothing of it.
Also, this will be added on to the 4 games each for Hines' "DUI" and for Harrison's comments and Rashards tweets. That makes 16 games. Grab some pine, Benny boy. Goodhell will not tolerate any of it!

Oh, and the Pats* get 2 extra picks for each infraction.

oneforthetoe
08-01-2011, 10:07 PM
It's great that Ben, Brent and James all re-worked their deals to help. But, if the season starts, and Aaron Smith is still here getting ALL his over 4 1/2 million dollar base salary,,,I will be disgusted beyond belief. No way that guy should be getting paid what he is when he has done next to nothing the past 2 years, AND when we have a Pro Bowler in Brent on one side, and a 3rd year STUD like Ziggy on the other.

While I agree that I have been thinking that Aaron should take a pay cut, I would point out to those who would assume him to be greedy that Aaron has reworked his contract in the past. It could be the Steelers have not asked him to take a pay cut or rework his contract as of yet.

After all, reworking a 1 year contract isn't really feasible for either side. And no player volunteers to take less money.

43Hitman
08-01-2011, 10:09 PM

[/sarcasm]

Well duh! They don't have boobs. :chuckle:

steelerfan
08-01-2011, 10:34 PM
While I agree that I have been thinking that Aaron should take a pay cut, I would point out to those who would assume him to be greedy that Aaron has reworked his contract in the past. It could be the Steelers have not asked him to take a pay cut or rework his contract as of yet.

After all, reworking a 1 year contract isn't really feasible for either side. And no player volunteers to take less money.

Wrong. L/Tomlinson, who has only one more year on his 2 year contract at 4.7 million, ALL in base salary agreed to just take less. He agreed to take just 1.1 million with NO extension in years. So that proves you wrong right there. So if Aaron doesn't agree to do it, just flat out CUT him. I mean it's not like he has any real value in the league when you consider his age, and massive injuries the past 2 seasons. So he needs to lower his base salary, or needs to be released.

86WARD
08-01-2011, 10:37 PM
[/B]Wrong. L/Tomlinson, who has only one more year on his 2 year contract at 4.7 million, ALL in base salary agreed to just take less. He agreed to take just 1.1 million with NO extension in years. So that proves you wrong right there. So if Aaron doesn't agree to do it, just flat out CUT him. I mean it's not like he has any real value in the league when you consider his age, and massive injuries the past 2 seasons. So he needs to lower his base salary, or needs to be released.

Exactly...

oneforthetoe
08-01-2011, 11:15 PM
[/B]Wrong. L/Tomlinson, who has only one more year on his 2 year contract at 4.7 million, ALL in base salary agreed to just take less. He agreed to take just 1.1 million with NO extension in years. So that proves you wrong right there. So if Aaron doesn't agree to do it, just flat out CUT him. I mean it's not like he has any real value in the league when you consider his age, and massive injuries the past 2 seasons. So he needs to lower his base salary, or needs to be released.

Well, good for LT if he volunteered to take less. Of course, agreeing to take less doesn't mean he volunteered to take less. He might have figured the Jets would release him otherwise. And, maybe LT, desperately wanting to win a Super Bowl, did volunteer to take a pay cut.

Still, IMO, it is rare for players to truly volunteer to take less money. None of the Steelers that restructured their contracts did so. I stand by my argument that it does not make sense to restructure a 1 year deal (unless the player will take less money), because you would have to extend the contract of a player beyond that 1 year. If you don't plan on keeping that player for two seasons, you could have dead cap money in future years.

As I said, I have been expecting an announcement about Aaron being released or being asked to take a pay cut. However, I am not just going to throw one of the great Steelers of his generation under a bus because some perceive that he is being greedy, without any proof that he refused any request from the Steelers. I remember the beginning of last season and Aaron was having a pretty good year until he was injured. Hard for me to believe he wouldn't be good as a back-up and in the rotation at d'end this season. Which, by the way, "the greedy bastard," said he would be happy to accept, while he tutors our young guns at d'end.

So, if Aaron is released, I will understand why. If he is not released, I will root for him, and admire all that he has done for Steelers these past years. The guy was one of, if not the best, 3-4 d'ends in the league. So, I guess I will just have to suffer being "wrong."

NCSteeler
08-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Well, good for LT if he volunteered to take less. Of course, agreeing to take less doesn't mean he volunteered to take less. He might have figured the Jets would release him otherwise. And, maybe LT, desperately wanting to win a Super Bowl, did volunteer to take a pay cut.

Still, IMO, it is rare for players to truly volunteer to take less money. None of the Steelers that restructured their contracts did so. I stand by my argument that it does not make sense to restructure a 1 year deal (unless the player will take less money), because you would have to extend the contract of a player beyond that 1 year. If you don't plan on keeping that player for two seasons, you could have dead cap money in future years.

As I said, I have been expecting an announcement about Aaron being released or being asked to take a pay cut. However, I am not just going to throw one of the great Steelers of his generation under a bus because some perceive that he is being greedy, without any proof that he refused any request from the Steelers. I remember the beginning of last season and Aaron was having a pretty good year until he was injured. Hard for me to believe he wouldn't be good as a back-up and in the rotation at d'end this season. Which, by the way, "the greedy bastard," said he would be happy to accept, while he tutors our young guns at d'end.

So, if Aaron is released, I will understand why. If he is not released, I will root for him, and admire all that he has done for Steelers these past years. The guy was one of, if not the best, 3-4 d'ends in the league. So, I guess I will just have to suffer being "wrong."

Agreed! When healthy is still thee best 3-4 end in the league and an awesome person and teammate to boot.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-02-2011, 01:05 AM

Ahh how quickly we turn on our own.

86WARD
08-02-2011, 07:28 AM

Its actually not that rare at all and players like Roethlisberger and Harrison don't need to because they aren't at the end of their careers. A guy like Aaron Smith, who has been injured the last couple years, who is getting up there in age and may not garner anything on the open market would. Do you think he'd rather be cut then collect a million or two million a year? It happens quite often in the NFL, usually with the older guys...

IUSteel
08-02-2011, 03:54 PM
However, I am not just going to throw one of the great Steelers of his generation under a bus because some perceive that he is being greedy, without any proof that he refused any request from the Steelers.

I'd love to still have Joey Porter, Willie Parker, and Alan Faneca on the same team. But football just doesn't work that way. Guy's played in 11ish games the last two seasons and has a huge contract. Just no logical reason to keep him. It's a shame, and I love all he's done for us, but you don't pay an injury prone backup 4.5 mil.

oneforthetoe
08-02-2011, 05:37 PM
I'd love to still have Joey Porter, Willie Parker, and Alan Faneca on the same team. But football just doesn't work that way. Guy's played in 11ish games the last two seasons and has a huge contract. Just no logical reason to keep him. It's a shame, and I love all he's done for us, but you don't pay an injury prone backup 4.5 mil.

Your point is valid regarding the players you named. However, I'm not sure that applies to Aaron. First, as I mentioned, before being injured last season, Aaron was playing great. Willie clearly had lost a step by the time the Steelers let him go. In case of Faneca, he was due for a new contract. The Steelers had decided they were not going to offer him one final big contract. And I think we can all agree that Faneca was not going to sign a one year contract for 4.5 million.

Porter was sort of a combination of the two. His quickness had diminished and he was also looking for that last big contract. I haven't heard anything about a contract extension for Aaron. My guess is that he plays out this season and then he is done.

For those that want Aaron gone, exactly who are the back-ups at d'end this season? Remember Eason is gone. I seriously doubt the Steelers are going to rely on a rookie. Even Ziggy wasn't that much help his first season.

Finally, as to the cap hit of 4.5 million, I too thought the Steelers might release Aaron and try to bring him back at a reduced rate. However, that does not appear as likely now. 4.5 million? We payed a back-up LT 7 or 8 miliioon the other year. While it would give the Steelers more flexibility if that number was less, it really isn't that outrageous of a cap hit for a guy that could still be capable of playing at a pro bowl level, albeit probably on a rotational basis. In the end, I trust the coaching staff and FO to know how much Aaron has left in the tank.

oneforthetoe
08-02-2011, 05:47 PM
double post

Steeldeal
08-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Ben is a great player, and a good team player. I hate it when people say that he is selfish and only looking out for himself. Yes he has had his off the field problems, but in my eyes he is a changed man, and wants to keep the team together by re doing his deal.