PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sort through cornerback options

LLT
08-01-2011, 03:27 AM
Steelers sort through cornerback options
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 1, 2011

When the Steelers locked up cornerback Ike Taylor to a long-term deal last week, they pretty much locked down the left side of the defense -- at least where it comes to the passing game -- for the next four years.

However, the right side is still a work in progress.

The Steelers added free agent William Gay to the mix Sunday. He joins incumbent starter Bryant McFadden and Keenan Lewis as cornerbacks who will try to solidify the pass defense of the best run-stopping team in the NFL.

"We want to be ranked tops in the league," McFadden said. "That has always been our main focus and to do that, we have to make sure we have the back end right."

To do that, the Steelers are going to have to get better play from cornerbacks not named Ike Taylor.

Read more: Steelers sort through cornerback options - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749360.html#ixzz1TlPxot00

LLT
08-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Steelers sort through cornerback options
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 1, 2011

When the Steelers locked up cornerback Ike Taylor to a long-term deal last week, they pretty much locked down the left side of the defense -- at least where it comes to the passing game -- for the next four years.

However, the right side is still a work in progress.

The Steelers added free agent William Gay to the mix Sunday. He joins incumbent starter Bryant McFadden and Keenan Lewis as cornerbacks who will try to solidify the pass defense of the best run-stopping team in the NFL.

"We want to be ranked tops in the league," McFadden said. "That has always been our main focus and to do that, we have to make sure we have the back end right."

To do that, the Steelers are going to have to get better play from cornerbacks not named Ike Taylor.

Read more: Steelers sort through cornerback options - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749360.html#ixzz1TlPxot00

That statement says it all. I have more faith in one of our young guns coming in and making a difference...than I do with McFadden or Gay suddenly becoming more than legitimate backups.

Devilsdancefloor
08-01-2011, 11:16 AM
i still think Lewis can be a starter, if he matured any the past year, if not i would like to see brown and butler or even allen get a shot

86WARD
08-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Brown! Butler!

Austin87
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Between Lewis, Butler, Brown and Allen someone has to step up and challenge Gay for that nickle spot.

Craic
08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Between Lewis, Butler, Brown and Allen someone has to step up and challenge Gay for that nickle spot.

Why? Like I showed in another thread, Gay was one of the best number 3 CB's last year in the AFC. He had more passes defended than anyone else except Troy P. He also had 2 sacks, a forced fumble, and 30 some odd tackles for what amounts to a part time position.

And before that patriots game gets brought up, well, instead of repeating, here's the link. http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/8875-William-Gay-is-still-a-Steeler?p=185332&viewfull=1#post185332

SteelMember
08-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Until someone not named Ike decides he can play on the outside, all we have are nickelbacks.

Craic
08-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Until someone not named Ike decides he can play on the outside, all we have are nickelbacks.

Sadly, there is WAY too much truth there.

86WARD
08-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Fuck that. Challenge for #2...

86WARD
08-01-2011, 04:15 PM

QFT!!

SteelerEmpire
08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm willing to bet at least one of our rookies will see a lot of playing time this year, because EVERY team will be predominantly passing on us (since they can't run well against the Steelers) and our secondary will be consistently tested UNTIL they put fear in the hearts of the leagues best passers...

Psycho Ward 86
08-01-2011, 07:53 PM
rogers rogers rogers!

Austin87
08-02-2011, 04:01 AM
Why? Like I showed in another thread, Gay was one of the best number 3 CB's last year in the AFC. He had more passes defended than anyone else except Troy P. He also had 2 sacks, a forced fumble, and 30 some odd tackles for what amounts to a part time position.

And before that patriots game gets brought up, well, instead of repeating, here's the link. http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/8875-William-Gay-is-still-a-Steeler?p=185332&viewfull=1#post185332

I'm not a big stat guy especially when looking at cornerbacks. Stats don't mean much for the CB position...you should know this. Gay has better "Stats" than Asomugha, which only means Gay was targeted/challenged more by opposing QB's. IMO Willie Gay is an above average nickleback. If he was one of the best number 3 CB's in the AFC, another team would probably have made him an offer and we wouldn't have signed him for only 1 year. If he was one of the best number 3 CB's in the AFC, we would have signed him for 2-3 years.

Between Gay and the 4 young CB's the competition for the nickle and dime spots should be tough though.