PDA

View Full Version : Alright......WTH is Injury "Prone" ?

katmandu
07-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Rant ON:

You see it everywhere when a writer is describing an athlete and his ability to stay healthy.

Personally, I think the term is BS. You're talking about Professional athletes that play an extremely physical and violent game. The majority of these athletes (minus Dwyer) are in and keep themselves in top physical condition.

I say it's a BS excuse because it basically just ODDS and LUCK with most injuries. OL get their ankles rolled and stepped on all the time, Wideouts are always pulling hamstrings etc...

So tell me, how the hell is this the athlete's fault ?

This is like calling Mendenhall injury prone after he gets bulldozed and steamrolled into the ground by Ray Lewis !

Rant OFF.

Thank you

X-Terminator
07-30-2011, 07:59 PM
It's just that some players seem to get hurt easier or more often than others, hence the term. So as far as I'm concerned, it's valid. You could say Ben is injury-prone since he always seems to have some kind of injury every year. Same with Troy. Mendenhall, however, is NOT injury-prone. The freak injury from the Lewis hit is the only injury he's really suffered. If playing a physical game means everything, then why has Daniel Sepulveda now missed almost 2 full seasons because of blown-out knees? Punter isn't exactly a "hard-hitting" position. He's had 3 major knee injuries in his college and pro careers. I'd definitely consider him injury-prone.

Psycho Ward 86
07-30-2011, 08:00 PM
well some injuries domino into other ones or even reoccurring ones because they often compromise your performance. I can tell you by experience that in football, wrestling, and track, a foot injury can easily become an ankle injury, which can become a knee injury, which can become a hip injury.

But i agree, it's kind of an overused term

GBMelBlount
07-30-2011, 08:14 PM
It's just that some players seem to get hurt easier or more often than others, hence the term.

So as far as I'm concerned, it's valid.

COMPLETELY agree.

Genetics, athleticism / coordination, intensity vary from person to person and are all factors imo.

..and age of course..

Aussie_steeler
07-30-2011, 09:02 PM
I always thought it was a bedroom related injury.

One you get when you are lying flat, TORN GROIN????

I guess that is why my father always told me to stay away from those ballbusting women. He was frightened of me becoming injury prone.

BigNastyDefense
07-30-2011, 09:50 PM
I think it's a valid term. There are players out there who seem to always have an injury. There is playing hurt (sore, bruised up), and a guy who can't play through that is often considered injury prone because they are always missing or coming out of games.

I would consider Ben injury prone...and it's a combo of poor offensive line play and his style of play (holding the ball too long and taking unnecessary hits). But he has the ability to play through most of the things that have hampered him.

tube517
07-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Rex Ryan is injury prone from bending his neck to look at feet

Steeldude
07-31-2011, 07:50 AM
Rant ON:

You see it everywhere when a writer is describing an athlete and his ability to stay healthy.

Personally, I think the term is BS. You're talking about Professional athletes that play an extremely physical and violent game. The majority of these athletes (minus Dwyer) are in and keep themselves in top physical condition.

I say it's a BS excuse because it basically just ODDS and LUCK with most injuries. OL get their ankles rolled and stepped on all the time, Wideouts are always pulling hamstrings etc...

So tell me, how the hell is this the athlete's fault ?

This is like calling Mendenhall injury prone after he gets bulldozed and steamrolled into the ground by Ray Lewis !

Rant OFF.

Thank you

it's not always their own fault. some people just happen to be more susceptible to getting injured.

ALLD
07-31-2011, 05:18 PM
It's just that some players seem to get hurt easier or more often than others, hence the term. So as far as I'm concerned, it's valid. You could say Ben is injury-prone since he always seems to have some kind of injury every year. Same with Troy. Mendenhall, however, is NOT injury-prone. The freak injury from the Lewis hit is the only injury he's really suffered. If playing a physical game means everything, then why has Daniel Sepulveda now missed almost 2 full seasons because of blown-out knees? Punter isn't exactly a "hard-hitting" position. He's had 3 major knee injuries in his college and pro careers. I'd definitely consider him injury-prone.

Mendenhall is more fumble-prone than injury prone.

GBMelBlount
07-31-2011, 05:22 PM

There is no such thing as fumble prone.

It's all random chance.

When mendy flips a coin it just happens to turn up "fumble" a little more often than others.

Craic
08-02-2011, 02:39 AM

Funny how we all think that, but in reality it's not true at all. Matter of fact, for the top 30 Rushers in the history of the Steelers (all who have 1000 yards career rushes), Mendenhall has the best fumble per carry average in the history of the team.

Rashard Mendenhall 0.85%
Jerome Bettis 1.04%
Amos Zereoue 1.15%
Willie Parker 1.36%
Earnest Jackson 1.70%
Bam Morris 1.73%
Walter Abercrombie 1.78%
Barry Foster 2.08%
Earl Gros 2.36%
Bill Dudley 2.47%
John Fuqua 2.58%
John Henry Johnson 2.58%
Merril Hoge 2.69%
Dick Hoak 2.74%
Fran Rogel 3.11%
Franco Harris 3.12%
Frank Pollard 3.15%
Erric Pegram 3.23%
Tom Tracy 3.26%
Preston Pearson 3.32%
Rocky Bleier 3.45%
Warren Williams 3.98%
Richard Huntely 4.64%
Lynn Chandnois 4.72%
Tim Worley 4.76%
Joe Geri 5.11%
Sidney Thornton 6.18%
Kordell Stewart 7.46%
Ray Mathews 7.67%
Terry Bradshaw 18.92%

As far as rushing last year for us. When you look at the top 40 in yds gained, he was 13th out of 40 for best percentage of fumbles per carry.

Ray Rice, RB 0.00%
Matt Forte, RB 0.00%
BenJarvus Green-Ellis, RB 0.00%
Michael Bush, RB 0.00%
Justin Forsett, RB 0.00%
Steven Jackson, RB 0.30%
Adrian Peterson, RB 0.35%
LeSean McCoy, RB 0.48%
Brandon Jackson, RB 0.53%
Felix Jones, RB 0.54%
Jahvid Best, RB 0.58%
Michael Turner, RB 0.60%