PDA

View Full Version : Cook: It's a good day for offensive line

stillers4me
07-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Max Starks for Willie Colon and Jonathan Scott? That's a pretty good trade for the Steelers. It made for a terrific Thursday for general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin.

The day began with news that Starks -- a starter on the Steelers' Super Bowl-winning teams in 2005 and '08 -- had been released. It came as a bit of a surprise because of the team's tenuous depth on the offensive line. "We don't have [a left tackle] today . . . " Tomlin acknowledged shortly after his men gathered on the St. Vincent College lawn for a brief conditioning session and the official start of a training camp that seemed in doubt earlier this month because of the NFL lockout.

That's tenuous, for sure.......

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11210/1163723-87-0.stm

GBMelBlount
07-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Offensive line coach Sean Kugler performed magic in his first season with the Steelers last year, constantly shuffling players to fill the injury holes.

Word at the team's camp compound is that he did not -- repeat: did not -- take stupid pills during the off-season. The line should be good enough again even if Jonathan Scott is the left tackle.

Colon is a strong addition. The line won't be the NFL's best, but it will be better than a lot of people are going to say it is.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11210/1163723-87-0.stm#ixzz1TYOKsZ1A

Have no choice but to believe this. What else can you do?

It was amazing what Kugler did with a "make shift" line last year.

Steeldude
07-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Max Starks for Willie Colon and Jonathan Scott? That's a pretty good trade for the Steelers.

is colon healed? scott as a full-time start at LT?

seeing is believing

86WARD
07-30-2011, 07:00 AM
Scott as the LT is an epic fail in the making.

ALLD
07-30-2011, 07:41 AM
Starks was turning into a Marvel Smith with that neck injury.

Texasteel
07-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Have no choice but to believe this. What else can you do?

It was amazing what Kugler did with a "make shift" line last year.

Kugler is the best thing that has happened to our line in years, and he may be starting to build the line in his own image. Scott did well at times and will most likely be better this year. Colon may still be a question in our minds, but the staff seem to be confident in his ability, and I think the kid from Florida will be better than some of us think. Sides,,,,, I believe Kugler could line up the Simpson family and have them playing fairly well by the end of the year.

HometownGal
07-30-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm not still totally sold on Colon especially after making a comeback from such a serious injury, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not at all happy about the Steelers releasing The Hotel Flo but hopefully we'll be able to resign him. :pray:

SteelGhost
07-30-2011, 08:39 PM
God Bless Big Ben's blind side :pray:

pepsyman1
07-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Kugler is the best thing that has happened to our line in years, and he may be starting to build the line in his own image. Scott did well at times and will most likely be better this year. Colon may still be a question in our minds, but the staff seem to be confident in his ability, and I think the kid from Florida will be better than some of us think. Sides,,,,, I believe Kugler could line up the Simpson family and have them playing fairly well by the end of the year.

I agree....considering how this line looked the previous couple of years. Last year wasn't great but they protected Ben a little bit more consistently. I think Kugler will continue to make it improve. I was kinda hoping they would be able to keep Flo and sign Colon, and slide Willie inside to guard. As much as we like to run to the right that would have been pretty intense watching those two create some Hotel sized gaps for Mendi and Redman to run thru.

steel striker
07-30-2011, 09:31 PM
It seems like every year we have a make shift o-line and, I hope for the best this year.

wvsportsman
07-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Sides,,,,, I believe Kugler could line up the Simpson family and have them playing fairly well by the end of the year.

Jessica and Ashley? :horn: :focus:

katmandu
07-31-2011, 10:28 AM
It seems like every year we have a make shift o-line and, I hope for the best this year.Would be nice to get some continuity and stability there.

siss
07-31-2011, 10:39 AM
God Bless Big Ben's blind side :pray:
ABen!

polamalubeast
07-31-2011, 10:40 AM
EVERY preseason fans talk about how bad the oline is & that we do not have a shutdown CB & we still win regardless

pepsyman1
07-31-2011, 10:54 AM
EVERY preseason fans talk about how bad the oline is & that we do not have a shutdown CB & we still win regardless

Think of how scary good we would be if we ever GOT those things! lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2011, 11:05 AM
As much as I love Pouncey, I still think we should have taken Bulaga last yr instead. LT is a much more important position on the line and we are thin there.

GBMelBlount
07-31-2011, 11:26 AM
As much as I love Pouncey, I still think we should have taken Bulaga last yr instead. LT is a much more important position on the line and we are thin there.

Blah blah Bulaga. :chuckle:

Seriously though, how did bulaga do last year?

I know there were a few that liked Bulaga more than Pouncey especially positionally but I am just thankful he panned out.

Texasteel
07-31-2011, 11:47 AM

I know there were a few that liked Bulaga more than Pouncey especially positionally but I am just thankful he panned out.

Correct Me if I'm wrong Gonzo, but I believe he was the starting LT on the team that won the SB.

I don't think we could have gone wrong with either pick. It was just that the team was more worried about the interior of the line. I was a big Bulaga fan.

The Duke
07-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Correct Me if I'm wrong Gonzo, but I believe he was the starting LT on the team that won the SB.

I don't think we could have gone wrong with either pick. It was just that the team was more worried about the interior of the line. I was a big Bulaga fan.

Chad Clifton was actually

Bulaga was the RT. And after they drafted Derek Sherrod he's probably their LT of the future

I agree, couldn't go wrong with either. But can't complain at all about Pouncey

Texasteel
07-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Chad Clifton was actually

Bulaga was the RT. And after they drafted Derek Sherrod he's probably their LT of the future

I agree, couldn't go wrong with either. But can't complain at all about Pouncey

Yes, that's right, Thanks bud. Bulaga and Sherrod on the outside. It's still early, but, man they look to be set.

The Duke
07-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Yes, that's right, Thanks bud. Bulaga and Sherrod on the outside. It's still early, but, man they look to be set.

definitely! Though they've lost both Spitz and Colledge this offseason. You're right in that the steelers care more about he inside than the outside, and the packers care more about the outside

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2011, 02:14 PM

I think Bulaga got beat early in the year, but got more and more steady as the season went on. I think he showed that he can play LT in the NFL and probably can this season. Just like Oher started on the RT side and Marvel Smith, Max Starks did....its a good idea to get guys used to RT before playing LT.

We will now probably go with Jon Scott unless a free agent comes in to play LT. Not the most ideal, but we better hope Gilbert can give it a go by next season.