PDA

View Full Version : Hockey HOF annouced

Devilsdancefloor
06-22-2010, 04:26 PM
No lindros makes me cry .... NOT

But Cammi Granato is she was always a better player and better looking than her brother ;)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AuUoKCaoaTWD5c7hxTVfKWV7vLYF?slug=ap-hall-of-fame

The Hockey Hall of Fame is no longer just for male inductees.

Cammi Granato and Angela James changed that on Tuesday when they became the first women elected to be enshrined in Toronto. Along with former NHL All-Star Dino Ciccarelli, Granato and James will go in as part of the players category during an induction ceremony in November.

Longtime Red Wings executive Jimmy Devellano and the late Daryl (Doc) Seaman — a founding owner of the Calgary Flames—were elected as builders.

While women had always been eligible for induction, the Hall made it easier for them to be voted in when it established a women’s subcategory this year.

Eric Lindros and Joe Nieuwendyk were potential contenders among NHL players in their first year of eligibility, but weren’t elected.

Granato played on the U.S. women’s hockey team for 15 years and led the club to a gold medal at the 1998 Nagano Olympics. Her brother, Tony, played and coached in the NHL.

“I dreamed of being in the NHL my entire life, and this certainly makes up for those dreams,” Granato said in a statement. “Being amongst the first women to play at college and later at the Olympics, it certainly was worthwhile being a hockey pioneer.”

James was a four-time world champion with the Canadian women’s team. She starred in the 1970s and early ’80s in the Central Ontario Women’s League.

“On behalf of everyone in women’s hockey, I am truly honored,” the Toronto native said. “As a kid I went to the Hall and was in awe of those who had been inducted. I am delighted to be able to join them.”

Ciccarelli played 19 NHL seasons with five teams, recording 608 goals and 592 assists in 1,232 games. In nine seasons with the Minnesota North Stars, he led the team in scoring five times.

“This is a tremendous honor that I will cherish for the rest of my life,” Ciccarelli said. “I really appreciate the support of my coaches, the fans and mostly importantly my family throughout my 19-year career.”

The 18-member selection committee includes Scotty Bowman, Pat Quinn, Harry Sinden, Serge Savard and Peter Stastny.

zulater
06-22-2010, 09:14 PM
No lindros makes me cry .... NOT

But Cammi Granato is she was always a better player and better looking than her brother ;)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AuUoKCaoaTWD5c7hxTVfKWV7vLYF?slug=ap-hall-of-fame

I guess they didn't want to put two woman in in the same class. :toofunny: