PDA

View Full Version : WRs Want Burress On Team

SteelerEmpire
07-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Coach Mike Tomlin wouldn't discuss Plaxico Burress' possible return to Pittsburgh, but the two guys who would figure to lose the most playing time were all for the former Steelers first-round pick rejoining the team

Second-year receivers Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders said they would welcome Burress if he chose to sign with the Steelers.

LINK: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_748998.html?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

PalmerSteel
07-29-2011, 10:36 AM
thats because they believe in the FO and Tomlin. we should as well, whatever happens. this isnt anything like before. before, burress was expected to be one of the leaders. not now or ever again. we have enough strong leaders. just a requirement for him to fit in.

steel striker
07-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Yet when Ben said after the Giants beat the pats I would love to have Plax back alot of people killed him for saying that.

86WARD
07-29-2011, 11:16 AM
:D

Hoping for a late Saturday night announcement. Maybe Sunday afternoon!!

fansince'76
07-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Yet when Ben said after the Giants beat the pats I would love to have Plax back alot of people killed him for saying that.

I still don't want him back personally, but if they do sign him, I'll hope for the best.

steeldawg
07-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Signing burress would be huge for us, I hope we land him.

steelerfan
07-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Signing burress would be huge for us, I hope we land him.

Yeah you're right. I mean with Burress, just THINK of all those nightly appearances on " Cops " and the " Nancy Grace " show. :brick:

steeldawg
07-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Yeah you're right. I mean with Burress, just THINK of all those nightly appearances on " Cops " and the " Nancy Grace " show. :brick:

Seems our front office wants him, our coach, our wideouts, our quarterback......hmmm but I guess their all wrong because steelerfan is against the move. We all know that you have more information than these people I listed but maybe you will give him a shot.

GBMelBlount
07-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I really think Burress could be an asset and hope his recent "experiences" have both humbled him and helped him to mature.

Just trusting the judgment of the FO at this point. :decision:

steelerfan
07-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Seems our front office wants him, our coach, our wideouts, our quarterback......hmmm but I guess their all wrong because steelerfan is against the move. We all know that you have more information than these people I listed but maybe you will give him a shot.

First of all, if our front office wanted him, he would be signed already. All I have heard is that he is gonna have Dinner on Saturday with Tomlin. I have not heard Mike say at anytime that he WANTED Plex back. If I am wrong on that, please show me where Tomlin said as such. As for the players and what some of them said, OF COURSE they will say that, I mean they are players. Okay I will admit I know Ben likes him alot. they were close when they played together here. But remember, ALL the Steelers said that they loved Santonio as well and wanted him to stay. Bottom line, it doesn't matter what the players say or think. Their opinions on the matter mean absolutely nothing to management, and their decisions.

If Management truly wanted Plex, this Dinner wouldn't be happening,,,,he would already be signed, sealed and delivered. The very fact that he ain't only means that Colbert and the management are NOT sold on him as of yet. So please stop saying that our front office WANTS Plex, or our coach WANTS Plex.

fansince'76
07-29-2011, 12:21 PM
First of all, if our front office wanted him, he would be signed already. All I have heard is that he is gonna have Dinner on Saturday with Tomlin. I have not heard Mike say at anytime that he WANTED Plex back. If I am wrong on that, please show me where Tomlin said as such. As for the players and what some of them said, OF COURSE they will say that, I mean they are players. Okay I will admit I know Ben likes him alot. they were close when they played together here. But remember, ALL the Steelers said that they loved Santonio as well and wanted him to stay. Bottom line, it doesn't matter what the players say or think. Their opinions on the matter mean absolutely nothing to management, and their decisions.

That's pretty much my take on it too. Tomlin and the FO are simply doing their due diligence at this point. The only people associated with the team I've heard publicly say they "want" him are Ben, Hines, and now Sanders and Brown.

86WARD
07-29-2011, 12:25 PM
He wouldn't be signed yet. They aren't allowed to talk to him until Saturday. NFL rules. The giants are allowed to talk to him today because he was under contract with him at the time of his incident.

You don't know Tomlin much...he historically doesn't comment on free agents or roster moves before they happen. very rarely does he say anything in regards to that.

steeldawg
07-29-2011, 12:30 PM
http://pittsburghsportsdepot.com/2011/07/27/report-plaxico-burress-to-meet-with-steelers-this-week/

this is just one link........Tomlin has a scheduled meeting with him about joining the team....Do you really think mike tomlin is going out recruiting free agents without the consent of the front office.

fansince'76
07-29-2011, 12:32 PM
http://pittsburghsportsdepot.com/2011/07/27/report-plaxico-burress-to-meet-with-steelers-this-week/

this is just one link........Tomlin has a scheduled meeting with him about joining the team....Do you really think mike tomlin is going out recruiting free agents without the consent of the front office.

From that article:

Last month it was reported that Tomlin and Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger were very interested in bringing Burress back to the steel city, but the front office and owners were not.

Who knows? :noidea:

Whatever the team does, I'll support. They've earned that from me, because they historically score a lot more home runs than whiffs.

steeldawg
07-29-2011, 12:33 PM
That's pretty much my take on it too. Tomlin and the FO are simply doing their due diligence at this point. The only people associated with the team I've heard publicly say they "want" him are Ben, Hines, and now Sanders and Brown.

http://www.961kiss.com/pages/morningfreakshow.html?an=Plaxico-Burress-to-meet-with-Steelers-on-Friday

Another link showing tomlins intrest in Burress.

steeldawg
07-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Why would Tomlin try and recruit a free agent the front office didnt want? Tomlin has no power to make any deals or promises on the organizations behalf without their consent. Also he is scheduled to meet with coughlin from the giants, funny the 2 teams he played for are the 2 teams in the running to take him back.

fansince'76
07-29-2011, 12:38 PM
http://www.961kiss.com/pages/morningfreakshow.html?an=Plaxico-Burress-to-meet-with-Steelers-on-Friday

Another link showing tomlins intrest in Burress.

I hadn't seen that quote. Thanks.

KeiselPower99
07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
I wasnt a fan of him the first go round and not really liking the idea of him rejoining us. I understand the positves of signing him. He is a big reciever and would add to our passing game. But there has to be a better option out there.

steeldawg
07-29-2011, 12:47 PM
I wasnt a fan of him the first go round and not really liking the idea of him rejoining us. I understand the positves of signing him. He is a big reciever and would add to our passing game. But there has to be a better option out there.

Nobody at buresses caliber and at the price we could get him for. Maybe Moss but I dont think he wants to come to Pittsburgh, plus Moss is known for blowing the top off of defenses, but we already have that guy in Mike Wallace.

GBMelBlount
07-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Nobody at buresses caliber and at the price we could get him for. Maybe Moss but I dont think he wants to come to Pittsburgh, plus Moss is known for blowing the top off of defenses, but we already have that guy in Mike Wallace.

LOL Steel.

I am not saying we should take Moss but do you realize how much two deep threats of that caliber could open up the passing game for a team?

Again, not an endorsement, just a comment...

JayC
07-29-2011, 01:25 PM
i wouldnt mind having him back in black and gold but i got a feeling someone else will offer more money

86WARD
07-29-2011, 01:39 PM
If that's the case, I'm fine with that too...

steeldawg
07-29-2011, 01:48 PM
LOL Steel.

I am not saying we should take Moss but do you realize how much two deep threats of that caliber could open up the passing game for a team?

Again, not an endorsement, just a comment...

Yes but the reason I think burress is a better signing is because hes a very good reciever in the red zone. Last season our offense moved up and down the field but we had problems in red zone because we lacked that tall jump ball reciever. 2 deep threats are great if you struggle to get the ball down the field, but 2 guys that can just run go routes do not help us on a short field.

Galax Steeler
07-29-2011, 03:37 PM
I say bring him in weather you love him or hate him he can help this team. If one of our main receivers go down then it would be nice to have him to fill the void.

The Duke
07-29-2011, 06:35 PM
hmm, anyone else think Mark Kaboly went directly to Sanders and Brown looking for a soundbyte?

Those are the two players whose progress would be hindered by signing Burress, Kaboly knows it and was probably hoping for either to say something stupid. Glad they are team players though, cause I know Buress wouldn't act like them

Anyway, probably just my general distrust for the media

I still don't want him

Austin87
07-30-2011, 05:10 AM
I think this could be a good move. If Ward or Wallace goes down then Sanders and Brown will have to step up, to be honest I don't think either one is ready to be a starting WR in case of an injury. IMO we need another quality veteran WR...why not Burress?

Steeldude
07-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Yes but the reason I think burress is a better signing is because hes a very good reciever in the red zone. Last season our offense moved up and down the field but we had problems in red zone because we lacked that tall jump ball reciever. 2 deep threats are great if you struggle to get the ball down the field, but 2 guys that can just run go routes do not help us on a short field.

burress wasn't a good red-zone WR when he was on the steelers. the lob just didn't work because burress tried to catch the pass with his chest and he was easily boxed out by small DBs. burress' fundamentals were average on a good day. now that i think about it, i don't recall burress being good in the red-zone for the giants either.

XxKnightxX
07-30-2011, 08:02 AM

If Management truly wanted Plex, this Dinner wouldn't be happening,,,,he would already be signed, sealed and delivered. The very fact that he ain't only means that Colbert and the management are NOT sold on him as of yet. So please stop saying that our front office WANTS Plex, or our coach WANTS Plex.

Our FO and Tomlin Wants Plex sooo bad :dance:

86WARD
07-30-2011, 08:37 AM
burress wasn't a good red-zone WR when he was on the steelers. the lob just didn't work because burress tried to catch the pass with his chest and he was easily boxed out by small DBs. burress' fundamentals were average on a good day. now that i think about it, i don't recall burress being good in the red-zone for the giants either.

Randle El was nothing more than a receiver that caught the ball with his chest. Not only that, but he'd jump every time he did it.

Burress out of prison >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Randle El at any point of his career.

Nadroj 20
07-30-2011, 08:43 AM

IMO the dinner is happening because we are somewhat interested in Plax. Why else have dinner with someone we are not interested in?? We want to get a feel for what he is thinking and talk to him thats why we havent just offered a contract.

This dinner is happening for the same reason Coughlin met with burress last night. There is interest from both the Steelers and Giants but nobody wants to dive in blind.

Makes sense to me.

SteelerSal
07-30-2011, 08:50 AM
I think this could be a good move. If Ward or Wallace goes down then Sanders and Brown will have to step up, to be honest I don't think either one is ready to be a starting WR in case of an injury. IMO we need another quality veteran WR...why not Burress?

Excellent point.

86WARD
07-30-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't know that Burress would be ready to start this season either...lol.

The WH
07-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Why does pittsburgh have to go through two sinners from our past coming back between two different teams to make it seem like they are a sure thing to return and contribute. My money goes on Plax going where the paycheck is, just like Jamoir Jagr