PDA

View Full Version : T Willie Colon re-signs with the Steelers

polamalubeast
07-28-2011, 05:14 PM
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
T Willie Colon resigns with the Steelers - 5 years, $29 million

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Man, that seems like alot of loot for a average player who has never sniffed a Pro Bowl. But whatever.

Chidi29
07-28-2011, 05:24 PM
How much guaranteed? signing bonus?

I'm just concerned about that much for a guy coming off a torn Achilles

BlastFurnace
07-28-2011, 05:26 PM
I guess "False Start # 74" is back in the playbook.

oneforthetoe
07-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Wow ... so much negativity. Seems a bit high to me, but if he is healthy he solidifies the RT spot or either guard position.

HometownGal
07-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Man, that seems like alot of loot for a average player who has never sniffed a Pro Bowl. But whatever.

I agree. WOW freakin' WOW. :jawdrop2:

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 05:38 PM
If Willie is gonna resume his RT spot. Then what about Gilbert ? I think the 2nd round, especially in this draft is a bit high to draft a OL to play Guard. And the only time at Florida Gilbert played LT he failed. We also took a NATURAL Guard in Williams in this draft. So, considering that amount of money for someone coming off a foot Injury, I gotta think they have plans to move Willie to LT.

Just my opinion.

oneforthetoe
07-28-2011, 05:47 PM
If Willie is gonna resume his RT spot. Then what about Gilbert ? I think the 2nd round, especially in this draft is a bit high to draft a OL to play Guard. And the only time at Florida Gilbert played LT he failed. We also took a NATURAL Guard in Williams in this draft. So, considering that amount of money for someone coming off a foot Injury, I gotta think they have plans to move Willie to LT.

Just my opinion.

I don't think the Steelers ever plan on rookies. Even last year, we went to camp with a plan in case Pouncy was not ready. The FO will have a plan in place for the O'line without the rooks.

st33lersguy
07-28-2011, 05:49 PM
In the wake of releasing Starks, they had to re-sign him

stillers4me
07-28-2011, 05:51 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1269370077/edphoto1_normal.jpgEdBouchette (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/EdBouchette)Ed Bouchette

#steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23steelers) Colon gets $29 M over 5 years, says #bears (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23bears) offered $3 M more. "I could not see leaving."

polamalubeast
07-28-2011, 05:52 PM
EdBouchette Ed Bouchette
#steelers Colon gets $29 M over 5 years, says #bears offered $3 M more. "I could not see leaving."

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 05:57 PM
EdBouchette Ed Bouchette
#steelers Colon gets $29 M over 5 years, says #bears offered $3 M more. "I could not see leaving."

Wow, Bears offered the same amount the Ravens spent to re-sign Marshall Yanda ? It's not that I hate Willie. It's just when you come off the type of serious foot Injury that Willie had, medical tests can't tell you everything when it comes to the type of stress the foot can sustain. NO tests can show that. They can show that the Achilles healed okay, but not what kind of constant stress the foot can take. Or how it will react once the player tries to move laterally. This is why I question Willie getting that type of money before we can see how Willie reacts to actually playing again. If he is 100 healed and can take the stress on the foot...great. It's just a risk is all I'm saying.

fansince'76
07-28-2011, 05:57 PM
In the wake of releasing Starks, they had to re-sign him

Yep. :doh:

The Duke
07-28-2011, 06:07 PM
They must be REALLY confident in his health after that injury

hope it works out. As a player, Colon does not dissapoint. And while I don't think he's a LT, he can definitely play both guard and RT

Psycho Ward 86
07-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Yep. :doh:

no facepalm needed. You'd rather have neither Starks nor Colon? lol

I guess im the only happy one here. Welcome freakin home Colon!!!

Chidi29
07-28-2011, 06:15 PM

Just my opinion.

If he's at left tackle, he's putting extra stres on the torn Achilles foot when he pushes off on his kickslide. I think he's going to stay at RT.

Which makes me wonder the plans for Flozell. Maybe we outright cut him and save a little bit of money? Remember that his contract had no guarantees. We don't get hit with any cap charge if he's let go.

Psycho Ward 86
07-28-2011, 06:15 PM
I guess "False Start # 74" is back in the playbook.

That stopped being a problem after 2008...

fansince'76
07-28-2011, 06:17 PM

I'd rather have a better option than either of them! :chuckle: But, it is what it is - welcome home, Willie! :drink:

Count Steeler
07-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Colon can still be a TC casualty if someone else impresses. I think this is just a little bit of insurance for now.

Chidi29
07-28-2011, 06:18 PM

I thought Colon was easily our top lineman two years ago. It's just the injury that concerns me. Obviously, they have a better read on the situation than I ever could but we're talking about a serious injury at a position where there's so much wear and tear.

I still want to see the guaranteed amount. Maybe it's not that bad.

Psycho Ward 86
07-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Colon can still be a TC casualty if someone else impresses. I think this is just a little bit of insurance for now.

Goodness gracious, Colon is even more underappreciated than i thought.

stillers4me
07-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Before he could jump in the shower and head to Latrobe, offensive tackle Willie Colon was jumping for joy after agreeing to a five-year contract with the Steelers for $29 million this evening.
"I'm happy ... I could not see leaving," Colon said. "My happiness is in that room and with coach [Sean] Kugler.''.........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11209/1163623-100.stm

Count Steeler
07-28-2011, 06:23 PM

Just a big question mark with his injury and a full year off. Colon from 2 years ago, no sweat. But we don't know where he stands right now.

The Duke
07-28-2011, 06:23 PM
"My happiness is in that room and with coach [Sean] Kugler.''.........

hey we never got to see Colon under Kugler's wing.

He did an amazing job last season bringing out the best of that patchwork line. Can't wait to see what he can do with willie

7willBheaven
07-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Also Scotts deal looks to be for 2 yrs...

The Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to terms with free-agent OT Jonathan Scott (Steelers) on a two-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1TRfjM1Rg

Chidi29
07-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Before he could jump in the shower and head to Latrobe, offensive tackle Willie Colon was jumping for joy after agreeing to a five-year contract with the Steelers for $29 million this evening.
"I'm happy ... I could not see leaving," Colon said. "My happiness is in that room and with coach [Sean] Kugler.''.........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11209/1163623-100.stm

It was clear how much the team means to him. He traveled with the team to away games and was actively involved during them. From coming out to check on Ben after getting clocked by Seymour, to me seeing this during the preseason.

Don't know if anyone else caught it coming back from commerical. Colon was actively involved with Kugler and the other lineman. Think he had a clipboard in his hand. He might not be able to play the rest of the season, but he's certainly going to be involved with the team.

O'Malley
07-28-2011, 06:27 PM
I was under the assumption that Colon was a beast........... Hope he proves all the nay sayers wrong for the teams sake!

Psycho Ward 86
07-28-2011, 06:29 PM

oh, he's been sniffing. And these contract numbers arent necessarily probowl numbers.

SteelerFanInStl
07-28-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm happy to see Willie back. As others have said, he was our best OL two years ago. We just gotta see if he's fully recovered from his injury.

GBMelBlount
07-28-2011, 06:44 PM
They must be REALLY confident in his health after that injury

...or really desperate....

Honestly though, I am not going to miss Starks and his lazy attitude.

The one thing I have always liked about Colon is the fire in his heart...

and to be honest I actually have a good feeling about our line this year...

Devilsdancefloor
07-28-2011, 07:02 PM
i am sure the team doctors and FO had him take a physical and do a work out to make sure he was okie dokie, I am happy very happy he is back

Chidi29
07-28-2011, 07:19 PM
i am sure the team doctors and FO had him take a physical and do a work out to make sure he was okie dokie, I am happy very happy he is back

He passed a physical. Can't sign a contract without doing so.

It's not that the players who have suffered these injuries have never tried to play again. They have. They just lost all ability.

X-Terminator
07-28-2011, 08:11 PM
$29 million for a slightly above-average lineman coming off an Achilles' tendon tear? Either Colon has a damn good agent, or someone in the FO must have been sleeping on the job.

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 08:15 PM
$29 million for a slightly above-average lineman coming off an Achilles' tendon tear? Either Colon has a damn good agent, or someone in the FO must have been sleeping on the job.

Either that, or Willie has some SERIOUS video action of Kevin Colbert doing some " Brokeback Mountain " stuff in the restroom :-) That's the only thing I can think of.

Merchant
07-28-2011, 08:22 PM
So like.. who's our left tackle again?

BlastFurnace
07-28-2011, 08:36 PM

The Steelers made the same decision after the same injury with Kendall Simmons for similar money. Simmons, I don't think made it to year 3 of that contract.

Adams played a better RT than Colon ever did. I would rather have let Flozell play another year and groom Gilbert to play RT.

TMC
07-28-2011, 08:43 PM
The Steelers made the same decision after the same injury with Kendall Simmons for similar money. Simmons, I don't think made it to year 3 of that contract.

Adams played a better RT than Colon ever did. I would rather have let Flozell play another year and groom Gilbert to play RT.

Actually, they signed Simmons in 2007 to his 4 year extension. He injured his Achillles tendon in September of 2008. He never got back on the field for the Steelers. They released him in 2009. If you remember, Darnell Stapleton stepped in that season, won a Super Bowl.

Simmons never made a comeback with the Steelers after the Achilles injury. He tried with the Pats and someone else, but they both dumped him. Hard to say if the injury caused it or they have a traffic cone that played better.

BigNastyDefense
07-28-2011, 08:59 PM
If Colon is healthy and hasn't lost much ability, then I am happy we resigned him. I liked him, he has a fire to play this game. He doesn't let defensive linemen push him around and he isn't lazy like Starks was.

Count Steeler
07-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Resigns = re enters into a contract
Resigns = quits

Gotta love the English language.

Craic
07-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Heck, two years ago Colon was the best lineman we had on the team. I really don't know why people are so down on him outside of the injury. He's nasty and works his rear end off.

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Heck, two years ago Colon was the best lineman we had on the team. I really don't know why people are so down on him outside of the injury. He's nasty and works his rear end off.

So was the " HOOKER " I was with last night. But I wouldn't want her starting on our O-Line coming off a major injury for that kinda loot :-)

zulater
07-28-2011, 10:36 PM
I thought Colon was easily our top lineman two years ago. It's just the injury that concerns me. Obviously, they have a better read on the situation than I ever could but we're talking about a serious injury at a position where there's so much wear and tear.

I still want to see the guaranteed amount. Maybe it's not that bad.

The Steelers have a good grasp on Colon's injury, so don't worry chidi. In case you forgot word around the Steelers late in the season was that Colon was already healed and capable of playing, but due to the NFL's IR rules where once you're on it you're out for the year, they of course couldn't use him. But I'll guarantee you they don't feel that there's going to be ongoing issues with the injury. And as you say, in 2009 he was far and away the Steelers best offensive linemen, so he was a good sign.

zulater
07-28-2011, 10:38 PM
\
And he loves being a Steeler, as anyone who's ever heard him on NFL radio knows. I think the Steelers did a great job keeping Willie in tow.

zulater
07-28-2011, 10:41 PM

Uh no, not even close. Hell Heath Miller lost his season because he had to stay in and cover for Flozell all year. Getting Colon back means 25 more catches this year for Heath Miller.

zulater
07-28-2011, 10:42 PM

Or he's better than you think he is.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/15/making-the-grade-offensive-tackles-2008-2010/

Right Tackles

1. Damien Woody, New York Jets

The Jets cutting Woody had little to do with his talent or production on the field, and more with age and injury concerns. As it is, no one has been more consistent at the right tackle spot than the former Jet over the past three years. Has finished in the top three of tackles every year since we started.

Grade: +76.0

2. Kareem McKenzie, New York Giants

Our top right tackle in 2010 has always been one of the league’s most punishing right tackles in the run game, but deserves more credit for being an above average pass protector as well. He’s been the one constantly strong performer on the Giants’ offensive line over the past three years (even in 2010 when durability concerns hit others).

Grade: +61.3

3. Willie Colon, Pittsburgh Steelers

Colon may have missed last year, but by virtue of the Steelers 2008 Super Bowl exploits has played more than enough snaps to qualify. An incredibly strong pass protector, Colon has been perhaps the only guy to make the life of Ben Roethlisberger easier these past few years. Not the prototypical run tackle, Colon is an interesting free agent.

Grade: +41.6

steelreserve
07-28-2011, 11:43 PM
I have an idea: As long as the offensive line is going to be mediocre at best, let's stop spending so much money on it. Unless it's to, you know ... bring in DIFFERENT guys.

zulater
07-29-2011, 05:10 AM
One doesn't make it from the Bronx and then Hofstra University to the NFL without knowing how to fight a little.

But even one of the toughest guys in the Steelers locker room didn't stand a chance against the emotions that overwhelmed him Thursday.

Not long after agreeing with the Steelers on a five-year, $29 million contract, Willie Colon shared a 20-minute cry with his mother, who lives with him in Pittsburgh and has Lupus.

"I'm speechless," Colon said last night. "I never really wanted to leave."

The deal took the Steelers' two most coveted free agents off the market before 6 p.m. Friday, the official start of the signing period. It also highlighted a day in which the Steelers signed five of their seven draft picks. Only defensive end Cameron Heyward, a first-round pick, and cornerback Curtis Brown, a third-round pick, remain unsigned.

Thursday proved a busy one for the Steelers when it came to their offensive tackles.

They released left tackle Max Starks in the morning — the Steelers also cut ties with veteran wide receiver Antwaan Randle El — and agreed to terms with Colon and Jonathan Scott, who got a two-year deal, in the afternoon.

Put another way, the Steelers went from one tackle (Flozell Adams) with starting experience on their roster to three in the span of an average work shift. They bolstered their depth at tackle but also raised as many questions as they answered.Read more: Steelers sign vet offensive lineman Colon - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_748999.html#ixzz1TUIZFfVz

Austin87
07-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Welcome back Wilie! I love this guys' attitude, he really wants to be a Steeler. Gotta love that.

I'm just wondering where he will play?

X-Terminator
07-29-2011, 07:33 AM

That's just it - it's the injury that has people down on him. It is very difficult for an offensive lineman to come back from that kind of injury and be an effective player. So IMO the Steelers made a mistake giving him that much money when they have no idea what they will get once he steps back on the field.

Or he's better than you think he is.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/15/making-the-grade-offensive-tackles-2008-2010/

Right Tackles

1. Damien Woody, New York Jets

The Jets cutting Woody had little to do with his talent or production on the field, and more with age and injury concerns. As it is, no one has been more consistent at the right tackle spot than the former Jet over the past three years. Has finished in the top three of tackles every year since we started.

Grade: +76.0

2. Kareem McKenzie, New York Giants

Our top right tackle in 2010 has always been one of the league’s most punishing right tackles in the run game, but deserves more credit for being an above average pass protector as well. He’s been the one constantly strong performer on the Giants’ offensive line over the past three years (even in 2010 when durability concerns hit others).

Grade: +61.3

3. Willie Colon, Pittsburgh Steelers

Colon may have missed last year, but by virtue of the Steelers 2008 Super Bowl exploits has played more than enough snaps to qualify. An incredibly strong pass protector, Colon has been perhaps the only guy to make the life of Ben Roethlisberger easier these past few years. Not the prototypical run tackle, Colon is an interesting free agent.

Grade: +41.6

He was the best lineman on a line full of jabronis in 2008-09, which isn't saying much. I think he's good, but not as good as people think, and I have doubts he'll get back to that level after a torn Achilles'. Sorry, it's just my opinion.

SteelerSal
07-29-2011, 07:59 AM

I like Colon...glad he signed..I always thought he played well for us.

Also want to add..lets see how much better he will become under Coach K, also. :)

polamalubeast
07-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Steelersdepot Steelers Depot
I believe the new contract of Colon equals out to a $2.7 cap hit this year. Will know more when I see structure

steeldevil
07-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I like Colon...glad he signed..I always thought he played well for us.

Also want to add..lets see how much better he will become under Coach K, also. :)

Uhh... Coach K better still be at Duke.... :heh:

Psycho Ward 86
07-29-2011, 02:11 PM

hell no he didnt, running behind Flo was marginally better at best, and dont even get me started with his pass protection. CLUB FEET

Chidi29
07-29-2011, 02:40 PM
The Steelers have a good grasp on Colon's injury, so don't worry chidi. In case you forgot word around the Steelers late in the season was that Colon was already healed and capable of playing, but due to the NFL's IR rules where once you're on it you're out for the year, they of course couldn't use him. But I'll guarantee you they don't feel that there's going to be ongoing issues with the injury. And as you say, in 2009 he was far and away the Steelers best offensive linemen, so he was a good sign.

Tell that to all the players that haven't been able to come back from a Torn Achilles.

Medically, he may check out, but there is a really constant negative history on how players perform post-injury.

Antwan Odom was just released today. Tore his Achilles, never was the same.

Chidi29
07-29-2011, 02:40 PM
hell no he didnt, running behind Flo was marginally better at best, and dont even get me started with his pass protection. CLUB FEET

Agreed. Flozell is a pretty terrible pass blocker.

zulater
07-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Tell that to all the players that haven't been able to come back from a Torn Achilles.

Medically, he may check out, but there is a really constant negative history on how players perform post-injury.

Antwan Odom was just released today. Tore his Achilles, never was the same.

Do you really believe you're aware of something the Steelers are not Chidi? They don't throw their money around haphazardly, I'm sure they have about 100x more information than you do here.

Chidi29
07-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Do you really believe you're aware of something the Steelers are not Chidi? They don't throw their money around haphazardly, I'm sure they have about 100x more information than you do here.

They do have more information than I do. As did all the other teams. And it didn't work out.

zulater
07-30-2011, 04:56 AM
They do have more information than I do. As did all the other teams. And it didn't work out.

Other teams aren't the Steelers though are they?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_standings_since_AFL-NFL_merger

Not to say the Steelers are flawless with their actions, but I guarantee they know all the percentanges and if in the end they offer Colon that sort of contract I'm guessing the probabality is high that Colon's achillies wont be problematic.

86WARD
07-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Agreed. Flozell is a pretty terrible pass blocker.

Far from the worst on the team last season. FAR from the worst.

Nadroj 20
07-30-2011, 09:45 AM

It appears Chicago wanted him and offered him a little more money.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11209/1163623-100.stm

Chidi29
07-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Far from the worst on the team last season. FAR from the worst.

Which speaks more to the struggles of players like Jonathan Scott and less about Flozell's ability.

Craic
07-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Other teams aren't the Steelers though are they?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_standings_since_AFL-NFL_merger

Not to say the Steelers are flawless with their actions, but I guarantee they know all the percentanges and if in the end they offer Colon that sort of contract I'm guessing the probabality is high that Colon's achillies wont be problematic.

Exactly. Ben said in his interview yesterday (I think) that had Colon stayed on the active roster, he could how played at the end of last year. He worked that hard to get back to where he should be. Further, he said that Willie might be coming into camp in the best shape he's ever been in.