PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in Unga?

7willBheaven
06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
NFL | Several teams believed to be interested in Harvey Unga

Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:57:58 -0400
Brigham Young RB Harvey Unga is believed to be drawing interest from the St. Louis Rams, Kansas City Chiefs and Pittsburgh Steelers, reports Mike Berardino, of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Unga is eligible to be selected in the NFL supplemental draft.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0rbf0nmIt

Anybody know anything about this guy? Do you think they'd give up a pick in next years draft (I think sometimes it can be a higher pick too) to get this guy or what?

SteelerSal
06-22-2010, 01:50 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=58715

Guy has a 5 yard average during his college career.

SteelerSal
06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Here is his player bio at BYU.

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=2486

Be worth bringing in, IMO.

SteelerSal
06-22-2010, 01:58 PM
The guy can find the endzone and he also can be a pretty good reciever out of the backfield.

Statistics
Rushing
YEAR GP ATT YDS AVG TD LONG
2006 3 4 9 2.3 1 -
2007 13 244 1227 5.0 13 44
2008 13 240 1132 4.7 11 40
2009 12 208 1087 5.2 11 52
TOTAL 41 696 3455 5.0 36 52

CAREER HIGHS
CARRIES: 26 (AT SDSU; OCT. 17, 2009)
YARDS: 177 (AT UNLV; OCT. 13, 2007)
TD: 3 (THREE TIMES)
LONG: 52 (AT UNLV; OCT. 10, 2009)

Receiving
YEAR REC YDS AVG TD LONG
2007 44 655 14.9 4 53
2008 42 309 7.4 4 19
2009 16 121 7.6 1 28
TOTAL 102 1085 10.6 9 53

I'm not a good research then post, type of person so I just added 3 consecutive posts to my post count. :lol:

7willBheaven
06-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Not bad...just depends what round in the supplemental draft he would go in. Because my understanding of the Supp Draft is whatever round you pick a player in you loose that pick in the real draft next year. I would not want to loose any early draft picks (rounds 1-4 I'd say) on a guy who may not even make the team. If he went undrafted in the Supp Draft then ok...bring him in as an UDFA...but its not worth loosing a pick in the main draft next year at all.

Nadroj 20
06-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Based on his college stats i think hes worth bring in too. Wont hurt anything.

salamander
06-22-2010, 02:52 PM
As long as we don't lose a high draft pick next year, sure. Bring him in.

steelpride12
06-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Why? IMO we have Mendy, Moore, Dwyer, and Redman all sitting at camp this year and Dywer might fit the role of our bruising back. Don't get me wrong he looks interesting and stats are impressive, but I just don't think we NEED him.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Aussie_steeler called this one. :chuckle:

I don't think we really need another back at this point.

Chidi29
06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
We wouldn't just be "bringing him in" like he's a street free agent. We'd have to give up a draft pick for him. Probably anything from a 3rd to 5th rounder. Washington gave up a 3rd rounder to get Jeremy Jarmon last year.

I'd pass. It's not like RB is a dire need and I'd rather have the pick for next year where you'll have more options.

steeldevil
06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
I dont think we need any more depth at the running back position...

steelerdude15
06-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Why? IMO we have Mendy, Moore, Dwyer, and Redman all sitting at camp this year and Dywer might fit the role of our bruising back. Don't get me wrong he looks interesting and stats are impressive, but I just don't think we NEED him.
I've never heard of him before, but from his stat's he looks like a pretty good running back. I agree with steelpride, we already have enough running backs and we know what Mendy and Moore are capable of and I'm excited to see what Dwyer is going to bring to the table.

BlastFurnace
06-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm interested.

ALLD
06-22-2010, 06:46 PM
We need another RB like the Skins need another retread.

BlastFurnace
06-22-2010, 07:32 PM
We need another RB like the Skins need another retread.

I disagree. Beyond Mendenhall, we have an aging Moore and what else? We have no idea what Dwyer will be and Redmond may just end up on the practice squad.

I say, spend a 4th rounder or greater on him and bring him in to compete.

Chidi29
06-22-2010, 07:35 PM
I disagree. Beyond Mendenhall, we have an aging Moore and what else? We have no idea what Dwyer will be and Redmond may just end up on the practice squad.

I say, spend a 4th rounder or greater on him and bring him in to compete.

The problem is that we only kept three RBs on the 53 man roster last year. By drafting Unga, you'd basically be saying that you're keeping four. And that, obviously, takes away another roster spot. Unless you want to cut Moore which is another discussion entirely.

Just like we don't know exactly how good Dwyer will be, we have no good how Unga is.

BlastFurnace
06-22-2010, 07:37 PM
The problem is that we only kept three RBs on the 53 man roster last year. By drafting Unga, you'd basically be saying that you're keeping four. And that, obviously, takes away another roster spot. Unless you want to cut Moore which is another discussion entirely.

Just like we don't know exactly how good Dwyer will be, we have no good how Unga is.

I see what you are saying. I wouldn't mind spending a late round pick on him. It's not like our picks 4th round and above ever amount to anything anyway.

Chidi29
06-22-2010, 07:41 PM
I see what you are saying. I wouldn't mind spending a late round pick on him. It's not like our picks 4th round and above ever amount to anything anyway.

I'd disagree with that thought. While we do miss a good bit, we've had some pretty good picks in the later rounds. Aaron Smith (4th), Brett Kiesel (7th), Chris Kemoeatu (6th), Max Starks (4th) all come to mind.

Butch
06-22-2010, 07:57 PM
I'd disagree with that thought. While we do miss a good bit, we've had some pretty good picks in the later rounds. Aaron Smith (4th), Brett Kiesel (7th), Chris Kemoeatu (6th), Max Starks (4th) all come to mind.

I hate to say this but how many of those were Tomlin picks??? I'm not trying to bash Mike just asking the question. I agree that if we get him for a 4th rounder it might be worth the look.

Chidi29
06-22-2010, 08:00 PM
I hate to say this but how many of those were Tomlin picks??? I'm not trying to bash Mike just asking the question. I agree that if we get him for a 4th rounder it might be worth the look.

I was just thinking back to some of the guys on the current roster. All but Smith came under the Colbert era, by the way,

ALLD
06-22-2010, 08:12 PM

L.C. Greenwood 10th rounder!

86WARD
06-22-2010, 08:30 PM
meh...

BlastFurnace
06-22-2010, 08:38 PM

Being that Aaron came under the Donahoe watch, what you have named is 3 good 2nd day picks in what...10 years. I'm sure there are more, but not many. Colbert's 2nd day drafts have not been good.

BlastFurnace
06-22-2010, 08:39 PM
L.C. Greenwood 10th rounder!

Yes, but that was 41 years ago.

Chidi29
06-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Being that Aaron came under the Donahoe watch, what you have named is 3 good 2nd day picks in what...10 years. I'm sure there are more, but not many. Colbert's 2nd day drafts have not been good.

I realized that and said that Colbert didn't draft Aaron at the end of the 2nd page. Those were just the ones off the top of my head. Willie Colon is another.

I know that Colbert doesn't have a great track record, but it's still wise to hold onto the pick for next year when you'll have a ton more options. It isn't like Unga is going to be the second coming of Cris Carter.

The Duke
06-22-2010, 10:25 PM
I love Unga! Heck, most of BYU's team was awesome last year

I just don't think we need him. If they didn't have Dwyer I would say definitely go for it. But as of now....

MasterOfPuppets
06-22-2010, 10:58 PM

starks was a 3rd rd pick.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Colbert has had some notable late rounders. Guys like Clark Haggans(5th), Larry Foote(4th), Verron Haynes(5th), Brett Keisel(7th), Ike Taylor(4th), Chris Kemoeatu(6th), Dan Sepulveda(4th), William Gay(5th), Dennis Dixon(5th) and Ryan Mundy(6th). I think you also have to include some of his UDFAs like Willie Parker, Darnell Stapleton, Ramone Foster and Nate Washington to the ressume. If you can get two servicable guys after the third round I think you did pretty well in that section of the draft.

Galax Steeler
06-23-2010, 04:01 AM
I love Unga! Heck, most of BYU's team was awesome last year

I just don't think we need him. If they didn't have Dwyer I would say definitely go for it. But as of now....

It makes you wonder if we get him could it be the end for Moore never know what they are a thinking.

Chidi29
06-23-2010, 12:16 PM
starks was a 3rd rd pick.

My fault. Was just going off of memory, or at least trying to.

Psycho Ward 86
06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Colbert has had some notable late rounders. Guys like Clark Haggans(5th), Larry Foote(4th), Verron Haynes(5th), Brett Keisel(7th), Ike Taylor(4th), Chris Kemoeatu(6th), Dan Sepulveda(4th), William Gay(5th), Dennis Dixon(5th) and Ryan Mundy(6th). I think you also have to include some of his UDFAs like Willie Parker, Darnell Stapleton, Ramone Foster and Nate Washington to the ressume. If you can get two servicable guys after the third round I think you did pretty well in that section of the draft.

You honestly think a mediocre punter (thus far) in the 4th and a safety who only plays special teams are notable?

xX-TSK-Xx
06-23-2010, 12:28 PM
You honestly think a mediocre punter (thus far) in the 4th and a safety who only plays special teams are notable?

Considering Sep is our starting punter and Mundy has been with the team and contributed for two seasons yes I do. Its not all about Pro Bowls and stats in the late rounds. What do expect them to find a "Tom Brady" in every draft? Solid backups and contributers are quality late round players.

BlastFurnace
06-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Considering Sep is our starting punter and Mundy has been with the team and contributed for two seasons yes I do. Its not all about Pro Bowls and stats in the late rounds. What do expect them to find a "Tom Brady" in every draft? Solid backups and contributers are quality late round players.

Mundy is barely servicable. He may not even make the team this season.

Psycho Ward 86
06-23-2010, 01:20 PM

Um, no one is expecting that out later round picks. Later round picks are EXPECTED to be good special team contributors. Mundy isnt even good on special teams. It's almost a given. You should never have to draft a punter that early unless he is extraordinarily exceptional. Dan is uh...ok. They arent notable picks at all, they're underachieving if anything, especially Sepulveda. It's not like he has to worry about competition lol...

ALLD
06-23-2010, 01:28 PM
What about the Ryan Clark and James Farrior trades?

Psycho Ward 86
06-23-2010, 01:29 PM

huh

xX-TSK-Xx
06-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Um, no one is expecting that out later round picks. Later round picks are EXPECTED to be good special team contributors. Mundy isnt even good on special teams. It's almost a given. You should never have to draft a punter that early unless he is extraordinarily exceptional. Dan is uh...ok. They arent notable picks at all, they're underachieving if anything, especially Sepulveda. It's not like he has to worry about competition lol...

And yet they are still with the team. Mundy, in his first year active 25 tackles 17 of which were solos. Not bad for a poor special teamer.

Sepulveda has been solid when healthy. Hell he put 29 punts inside the 20 last season. You may say he was taken too early but recall that prior to our fourth round pick Jacksonville drafted a punter ahead of us. There were only two worth while punters left on the board. We had to pull the trigger or risk missing out. I suppose you would have rather picked another one and done player and let Mitch Berger take the punting duties.

Butch
06-23-2010, 01:53 PM
And yet they are still with the team. Mundy, in his first year active 25 tackles 17 of which were solos. Not bad for a poor special teamer.

Sepulveda has been solid when healthy. Hell he put 29 punts inside the 20 last season. You may say he was taken too early but recall that prior to our fourth round pick Jacksonville drafted a punter ahead of us. There were only two worth while punters left on the board. We had to pull the trigger or risk missing out. I suppose you would have rather picked another one and done player and let Mitch Berger take the punting duties.

Well when you get right down to it we did better when Berger was our punter even though his punts were nothing short of exciting.

Like others have said we won a Superbowl with Mitch as our punter.

fansince'76
06-23-2010, 02:05 PM
You should never have to draft a punter that early unless he is extraordinarily exceptional. Dan is uh...ok.

Ummm, he was a 3-time All-American and the nation's top collegiate punter twice.

BlastFurnace
06-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Neither of them were trades. They were both FA signings. Farrior was only signed after they couldn't come to an agreement with Earl Holmes. That's not to take anything away from what Colbert did there though. Farrior was and is a far superior ILB than Holmes ever was. I also think that Clark is every bit as good as Hope.

BlastFurnace
06-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Ummm, he was a 3-time All American and the nation's top collegiate punter twice.

I agree. I think Sep has been a very good punter for us. I'm not sure why some fans have complained about him.

steeldevil
06-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Well when you get right down to it we did better when Berger was our punter even though his punts were nothing short of exciting.

Like others have said we won a Superbowl with Mitch as our punter.

Yeah and Mitch Berger being our punter was in no way related to us winning the super bowl. We did better when he was punter because the team performed better... Mitch Berger is awful

Psycho Ward 86
06-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Ummm, he was a 3-time All-American and the nation's top collegiate punter twice.

Let's stick with NFL credentials/production here :)

NCSteeler
06-24-2010, 01:22 AM
I think he is in the supp draft because he had sex with his girlfriend outside of marriage. We don't need any troubled souls....LOL

Anyhow, we are not as STRONG at RB as some may think.

solardave
06-24-2010, 05:13 AM

I agree and we also have Frank who we hope will be the Tank. "SEE THE BALL FRANK" "BE THE TANK FRANK"

bgexpress
06-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Harvey Unga would be a very good pick for us he is tough and what we need for short yardage, a great fit if we can get him

from the 4th pick and beyond! This would probably signal the end of the Frank Summers era.

st33lersguy
06-24-2010, 10:20 AM
No thank you steelers have enough RBs, another one is not worth a draft pick

Dino 6 Rings
06-25-2010, 11:33 AM
can he cover on punts and kick offs and can he make tackles?

can he get 1 yard on 3rd and short?

Steely McSmash
06-26-2010, 10:25 AM
... the end of the Frank Summers era.

rofl best dillusional era ever

Steely McSmash
06-26-2010, 10:27 AM

Last year we kept 4 backs including Summers/Carey Davis

Chidi29
06-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Last year we kept 4 backs including Summers/Carey Davis

I was counting them as FBs. I didn't count Johnson as a RB. I'm talking about pure RBs.

tube517
06-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I wonder if this means Summers is not developing like they wanted. I wouldn't want to waste a high draft pick though.