PDA

View Full Version : How about the Steelers sign CB Nate Clements ????

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 12:07 PM
I read where the 49ers cut him. Hey fans, what about releasing Mcfadden, and getting the over 2.7 million he will be paid this season, and try to some how sign Clements ? I mean he is 31, just like Ike is. He went to Ohio State..( A School we seem to like to draft from )...he has pretty good hands for Interceptions..( 33 total in his career )..and, I bet after Buffalo and San Fran,,,Nate might like to be on a WINNING team :applaudit: :smoker:

What say you fans ? I say Hell Yeah!

Psycho Ward 86
07-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Clements is terribaaad

SteelerSal
07-28-2011, 12:11 PM
As an addition...maybe. I would not get rid of McFad....

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Clements is terribaaad

Really, on what basis are you saying that ? I know SF defense sucked the past couple of years. But, is that on Clements ?, or the fact that SF had no pass rush or D-Linemen ?

7willBheaven
07-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I had a feeling it would only be a matter of time until someone posted this crap...blah

X-Terminator
07-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Seriously, could Clements possibly be any worse than McFadden or Gay?

The Duke
07-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Release McFadden? do you want to cripple our secondary even more?

That said, Clements could make a good nickleback

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Release McFadden? do you want to cripple our secondary even more?

That said, Clements could make a good nickleback

Duke, did you WATCH any games last season ? Mcfadden was the reason why our secondary was so burned at times. He sucked totally. And Clements is a pure, shutdown CB, not a nickle back player. That;s like you saying we should sign Nnamdi, and make him our Nickle or Dime package player.

Chidi29
07-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Clements was a pretty big bust in San Francisco.

And like Sal, I'm not releasing McFadden.

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Clements was a pretty big bust in San Francisco.

And like Sal, I'm not releasing McFadden.

Please explain how Clements was a bust. SF didn't WANT to get rid of him, they wanted him to re do his deal so that they can add Nnamdi with him. Clements is perhaps the BEST run assisting CB in the league. He's a for sure tackler, and he gets his fair share of Picks as well. How ANYONE can dare say that Mcfadden is close to Clements talent wise is beyond me.

Chidi29
07-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Please explain how Clements was a bust. SF didn't WANT to get rid of him, they wanted him to re do his deal so that they can add Nnamdi with him. Clements is perhaps the BEST run assisting CB in the league. He's a for sure tackler, and he gets his fair share of Picks as well. How ANYONE can dare say that Mcfadden is close to Clements talent wise is beyond me.

It's been known for quite some time that Clements was going to have to take a paycut.

And it was an up-and-down career for him in San Fran, especially for all the money he signed for. Like in 2009 when he was reduced to playing off the bench because of poor play.

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 01:44 PM
It's been known for quite some time that Clements was going to have to take a paycut.

And it was an up-and-down career for him in San Fran, especially for all the money he signed for. Like in 2009 when he was reduced to playing off the bench because of poor play.

That's not entirely true. Nate was benched by Singletary in order to light a fire under Clements, and make an example to the rest of the younger 49ers. But, he cameback to start 2 weeks later only to suffer a season ending Shoulder Injury. No doubt Clements might have underachieved in SF. But that's what losing can do to you. Remember back in the day, Minnesota released former 1st rounder Dwayne Washington without even trying to re-sign him. And the Steelers grabed him up, and he had 14 Interceptions in his first 3 seasons here. And was our Lock down CB for 6 straight seasons.

There is an old saying, " One mans Trash is another mans Treasure " We took players from Bad teams that were considered finished, or " Trash " Players like Kimo Von Oelhoffen,,,Ray Seals, and Yancy Thigpen, on our team, and they all were great production players for us. I think it is premature for you, or anyone else here to say that Nate Clements can't be another one of those players who if given a chance to be on a GOOD...well structured team in Pittsburgh, rather then the dreadful horrible teams that they had played for in the past can't turn it around here is not being fair.

I'm not suggesting breaking the bank to sign Clements. But, if the 10 year Vet shows a Interest in maybe coming here for a drasically reduced salary just to be on a " WINNING " franchise. I mean what is wrong with that ?

Devilsdancefloor
07-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Sadly he got his payday when he went to SF and i think he got lazy, but i think the steelers have their crop of CB for the team someone in the group we have will step up

Chidi29
07-28-2011, 01:49 PM
That's not entirely true. Nate was benched by Singletary in order to light a fire under Clements, and make an example to the rest of the younger 49ers. But, he cameback to start 2 weeks later only to suffer a season ending Shoulder Injury. No doubt Clements might have underachieved in SF. But that's what losing can do to you. Remember back in the day, Minnesota released former 1st rounder Dwayne Washington without even trying to re-sign him. And the Steelers grabed him up, and he had 14 Interceptions in his first 3 seasons here. And was our Lock down CB for 6 straight seasons.

There is an old saying, " One mans Trash is another mans Treasure " We took players from Bad teams that were considered finished, or " Trash " Players like Kimo Von Oelhoffen,,,Ray Seals, and Yancy Thigpen, on our team, and they all were great production players for us. I think it is premature for you, or anyone else here to say that Nate Clements can't be another one of those players who if given a chance to be on a GOOD...well structured team in Pittsburgh, rather then the dreadful horrible teams that they had played for in the past can't turn it around here is not being fair.

I'm not suggesting breaking the bank to sign Clements. But, if the 10 year Vet shows a Interest in maybe coming here for a drasically reduced salary just to be on a " WINNING " franchise. I mean what is wrong with that ?

He was trying to light a fire under Clements because he was playing poorly. You can spin it however you like. And apparently the giant contract and principle that you should be trying your best regardless of what is around you didn't sink in for Nate.

I never said I was totally against Nate anyway. I just don't think he'll be as valuable as some think he'll be because of some of the struggles he had in the past few years. I'm content with Ike and McFadden starting so at best, I'm looking at Nate as a nickelback. Not a starter.

86WARD
07-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Meh...

steelerdude15
07-28-2011, 03:05 PM
I'd really like to see what our new rookie corners could do.

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Okay, okay I get it. It was a bad Idea from me. Forget it. Sorry :-(

Chidi29
07-28-2011, 03:12 PM
No, it's not a terrible idea. And you made a good argument for it. I just hope people realize that he's not the same hot-ticket item he was when san franciscoo signed him.

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 03:14 PM
No, it's not a terrible idea. And you made a good argument for it. I just hope people realize that he's not the same hot-ticket item he was when san franciscoo signed him.

So, in other words you are saying Clements is not a " SAKS 5th Avenue CB anymore...He is a " Walmart " CB now, right ? :-)

86WARD
07-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Lol...what's that make Willie Gay? 5 Below?

XxKnightxX
07-28-2011, 03:46 PM
So, in other words you are saying Clements is not a " SAKS 5th Avenue CB anymore...He is a " Walmart " CB now, right ? :-)

Well if hes a Wal Mart CB then hed be putting out the receivers out of busniess :D . Too soon?

43Hitman
07-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Lol...what's that make Willie Gay? 5 Below?

Dollar Store

Chidi29
07-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Ha, that's not a bad way to put it.

The Duke
07-28-2011, 05:02 PM

Agree

It is not a terrible idea. At the right price, he could be some great competition for Willie Gay. Light a fire under his ass maybe

though if he is signed it probably means Gay wont be back. Heck, probably won't be back either way

steelerfan
07-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Nate lands in Cincy. Guess we'' see how good he is.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=sportsxchange-000373669_bengals-agree-to-terms-with-free-agent-cb-nate-clements

Steelersfan
07-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Looks like Clements decided to end his career instead of resigning with the 49ers or shopping himself to a team with a pulse.

To bad he he signed with Cincinnatti!

I was going to post a response to Steelerfans question saying that, if what you mean by signing Nate Clements is trading McFadden and say, a draft pick or maybe packaging McFadden & Kemo in a trade for Asante Samuel, then I would be all for it.

Not a fan of Clements though. Too bad for him that he will never be heard from again.

Here's hoping that Samuel can find his way to the Steelers as our #2 CB.

pepsyman1
07-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Looks like Clements decided to end his career instead of resigning with the 49ers or shopping himself to a team with a pulse.

To bad he he signed with Cincinnatti!

I was going to post a response to Steelerfans question saying that, if what you mean by signing Nate Clements is trading McFadden and say, a draft pick or maybe packaging McFadden & Kemo in a trade for Asante Samuel, then I would be all for it.

Not a fan of Clements though. Too bad for him that he will never be heard from again.

Here's hoping that Samuel can find his way to the Steelers as our #2 CB.

I'd have a party if we got a shutdown corner like Samuel across the field from Ike...but I'd say the odds of that are slim to none

steelreserve
07-31-2011, 04:33 AM
I unfortunately get a 49ers game every weekend out here. I've seen Clements from the beginning, and he's been OK but nowhere near the hype. He is actually probably the #1 example I can think of where a guy has a reputation entirely because of his contract. "$10M a year? He must be good!" No - not really. He's an average or slightly above-average CB, basically the same thing as McFadden but twice the price. How many Pro Bowls has he made? Most of the time Clements was here, I still cringed at the 49ers' secondary the way I did with the Flowers-Figures-Washington era. He is not some guy who's awesome and silently having a great career; he's a guy who got overpaid by a bad team and these are the kind of mistakes they make. If he was really that good, people would know. Nnamdi made a name for himself on a bad team - where was this guy?

If we want to be opportunistic, this is not the way to do it. Maybe I'm wrong and he would shine in our defense, there's always that chance. But basically only the same random crapshoot chance of any guy people look at and say "Oh, so-and-so would do well with a change of scenery." Basically a blind roll of the dice and not worth the chance. That goes for anyone who would sign him.

86WARD
07-31-2011, 05:26 AM
Samuel is not a shut down corner but he's a ball hawk! Would live to have him, but his cap numbers this year and next (especially next) are way too high for the Steelers. Plus...they won't give the Eagles what they are looking for.

The Eagles will be content on keeping Samuel until something that peaks their interest comes along like they always do...