PDA

View Full Version : Burress to meet with Steelers

kmsteelerwr15
07-27-2011, 03:05 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/408421355/twitterProfilePhoto_normal.jpg
Steelersdepot (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/Steelersdepot) Steelers Depot

Clayton reports Plaxico Burress will meet with the Steelers #steelers
(http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23steelers)

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/1462122406/clayton_normal.jpg
ClaytonESPN (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/ClaytonESPN) John Clayton

Just discussed Chris Mortensen storry on sports center. Mort reports Pittsburgh and Giants might take him back

steeldevil
07-27-2011, 03:06 PM
You beat me to it.

Apparently Tomlin is to meet with him...

st33lersguy
07-27-2011, 03:16 PM
No thank you

polamalubeast
07-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I would be happy if he would return with the steelers!

BigNastyDefense
07-27-2011, 03:19 PM
No thank you. I would rather keep Limas Sweed.

Edman
07-27-2011, 03:20 PM
No thank you.

The Steelers already got rid of one headache reciever who couldn't his stuff in check. We don't want another one.

steeldevil
07-27-2011, 03:20 PM
I have been thinking and saying for a while now that I think we are gonna start passing the ball more. Ben wants to and Arians wants to(DUH). Maybe Tomlin now agrees too and that is why he wants to meet with Burress. The only type of WR we don't have is a big, tall target that can jump. Which Ben has said he wants. That is my thinking...

steeldevil
07-27-2011, 03:21 PM
No thank you. I would rather keep Limas Sweed.

I would too.

fansince'76
07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
I thought Pittsburgh was too "racist" for him. And I really don't want to hear him whine and bitch in the locker room after an important game about not getting thrown to enough after he alligator arms another sure TD pass.

I really hope the FO passes.

SteelMember
07-27-2011, 03:25 PM
The coachs may have changed, but the Rooney's are still in power. If they sign off... so will I.

I doubt we offer enough to interest him anyway. :noidea:

Chidi29
07-27-2011, 03:27 PM
I thought Pittsburgh was too "racist" for him. And I really don't want to hear him whine and bitch in the locker room after an important game about not getting thrown to enough after he alligator arms another sure TD pass.

I'd like to think he's grown up a lot. He's no longer a rookie who spikes catches without being touched. He's much older and been through a lot. Hopefully, he's matured.

fansince'76
07-27-2011, 03:33 PM
He's much older and been through a lot.

One more reason not to want him - he's 34 years old and he's been "on ice" for the last 2+ years. If we're going to entertain going after an older, tall WR with a ton of baggage, I'd rather go after Moss.

Chidi29
07-27-2011, 03:34 PM
One more reason not to want him - he's 34 years old and he's been "on ice" for the last 2+ years.

That's true. I'm just saying he's had to have improved from a maturity standpoint compared to his first stint with the team.

salamander
07-27-2011, 03:35 PM
If we needed a WR, I'd say fine but we don't need him so no thank you.

Count Steeler
07-27-2011, 03:36 PM
I hope Limas impresses and that ends this discussion.

SteelerEmpire
07-27-2011, 03:44 PM
If he comes back, kool.... if not, kool...

SteelMember
07-27-2011, 03:50 PM
If we needed a WR, I'd say fine but we don't need him so no thank you.

:lol: Very True.

We have over a dozen to choose from right now. If we have difficulty finding 5 talents in the pool we have... we're in trouble reguardless.

Chidi29
07-27-2011, 03:53 PM
One big concern of mine is the kind of shape he's in. I know he worked out in prison, I'm sure he's been working hard during the lockout, but I doubt he's in pro football shape. It's not like he's been able to work out at a team's facility all offseason. He's only going to have a short time in camp to get up to speed.

Butch
07-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Limas over Plex??? Seriously???

I dunno from the game films I have seen Plex can catch (or at least the last time I saw him play he could), Limas threw a nice block once.

Not sure I would want either but if I had to pick I'll take Plex over a receiver who can't catch any day no matter the age or how long he's been outta football.

If we bring him in for a look it can't hurt and if we take him and cut Limas I'm good with that too. Hell even if we don't bring him in and cut Limas it won't hurt my feelings. Until I see Limas catch a clutch pass in a must win game, I will never trust him to be more than an overpaid extra blocker.

SteelerEmpire
07-27-2011, 04:07 PM
He made the "catch that killed the Pats"... so if he comes back maybe we'll be able to get in 'their' heads a little for a change.

HometownGal
07-27-2011, 04:08 PM
HELL FREAKIN NO! Screw him - let him have his second chance with someone else. As far as I'm concerned, he burned his bridges here.

tube517
07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Plex went to high school a mile away from my house. I wish him well, even for all the stupid ass mistakes. He's done some good things in his neighborhood. I hope he's learned and moved on.

With that said, I doubt he will get any offer from the Steelers. Looks like the Giants want him more and want to pay him way too much.

Dino 6 Rings
07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
I don't know, part of me thinks he'd be welcome back, by the fans, after just one big game changing catch that beats a team we need to beat during the season. But then, I think of how he went out...reports were, that after the 2004/05 AFC Title Game loss to the Patriots...he was quoted as saying something along the lines of "I need to get out of here, this team is full of losers" cause the Steelers hadn't been able to get over that hump. That still sticks in my craw.

Psycho Ward 86
07-27-2011, 04:52 PM
i dont support the Plaxico Burress chase, but i dont get why so many steeler fans think we have such a baller wide receiver corp that doesnt need any help at all. Hines is on his last legs and we dont know what he has left, Mike has only one season of strong starting production and is still a very incomplete receiver, ARE is washed up, and Sweed is...well you know. Sanders/Brown have shown promise, but would you HONESTLY feel confident about them starting if Hines or Wallace went down?

Dino 6 Rings
07-27-2011, 05:01 PM
i dont support the Plaxico Burress chase, but i dont get why so many steeler fans think we have such a baller wide receiver corp that doesnt need any help at all. Hines is on his last legs and we dont know what he has left, Mike has only one season of strong starting production and is still a very incomplete receiver, ARE is washed up, and Sweed is...well you know. Sanders/Brown have shown promise, but would you HONESTLY feel confident about them starting if Hines or Wallace went down?

I kind of agree, in that I think we are good with our starters, but yeah, if Wallace goes down, or Hines, that hurts us big time. I'm all for bringing in the kid for an interview, see if he's learned a life lesson, see if maybe he's looking for a real opportunity to redeem himself or just for the fast cash.

vader29
07-27-2011, 05:02 PM
It's not like he's been able to work out at a team's facility all offseason.

Every other wide receiver in the league wasn't able to work out at a team's facility this offseason either. :chuckle:

Chidi29
07-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Every other wide receiver in the league wasn't able to work out at a team's facility this offseason either. :chuckle:

No other receiver spent two years in jail, either.

steeldawg
07-27-2011, 05:11 PM
I like our recievers also, however do we really have a big red zone threat, the answer is no. Burress would certainly give us that unless he managed to shrink in prison. I would definetly be open to the idea of having plex back.

steelerfan
07-27-2011, 05:14 PM
What's the old saying ?.." Fool me ONCE...shame on YOU. Fool me TWICE, shame on ME! "

Sorry fans but Plex was a major Head case here, and in NY. He hasn't played a lick in over 3 years, and besides,
we have Ward-Wallace and Sanders/A.Brown as our 3 WR's. And Miller as our TE. And a RB in Mendy, and whoever is our 3rd down Back. So where exactly is Plex gonna play ? Cause personally, I think it would be an insult to sit either Sanders, or even Brown down on the bench to let a Headache like Plex get the PT. I mean all those two rookies did for us last year was work their BUTTS off. And make HUGE game-changing plays for us that got us to the SB game.

Put me in the NO catigory.

Galax Steeler
07-27-2011, 05:15 PM
I like our recievers also, however do we really have a big red zone threat, the answer is no. Burress would certainly give us that unless he managed to shrink in prison. I would definetly be open to the idea of having plex back.

Agree, I say bring him back and see what he has it couldn't hurt

86WARD
07-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Wallace, sanders, brown, ward, plax, sweed. Bye bye battle. Bye bye el!

Dont fucking tease me. Anyone that says no thanks or no way is no better than the brown family. Why wouldn't you want to improve the team?!?

steeldawg
07-27-2011, 05:22 PM
What's the old saying ?.." Fool me ONCE...shame on YOU. Fool me TWICE, shame on ME! "

Sorry fans but Plex was a major Head case here, and in NY. He hasn't played a lick in over 3 years, and besides,
we have Ward-Wallace and Sanders/A.Brown as our 3 WR's. And Miller as our TE. And a RB in Mendy, and whoever is our 3rd down Back. So where exactly is Plex gonna play ? Cause personally, I think it would be an insult to sit either Sanders, or even Brown down on the bench to let a Headache like Plex get the PT. I mean all those two rookies did for us last year was work their BUTTS off. And make HUGE game-changing plays for us that got us to the SB game.

Put me in the NO catigory.

Plex has been in the league for 8 seasons not all full seasons, and he averages nearly 7 tds and 1000 yds per season. So fool me once and please fool me again.

steelerfan
07-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Plex has been in the league for 8 seasons not all full seasons, and he averages nearly 7 tds and 1000 yds per season. So fool me once and please fool me again.

Actually Plex has 9 full seasons in the league. And he doesn't come close to averaging 1000 Yds a season. More like 850 Yds a season, and 6.1 TD's a season. And, his last season in 2008 was a Bust. And he hasn't put on a uniform since. That does NOT make for a guarantee of a 1000 Yd and 7 TD season my friend. And you are also sweeping under the rug Plex's LONG standing Issues of missing practices and meetings both here, and while in New York. As well as his off the field Issues.

But hey, keep rooting for the little Gangsta! :-)

Craic
07-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Not really interested. However, if his head is attached this time, at least he could provide a decent tall target.

Or maybe it's to bring him in so Sweed can learn a bit. Let's just hope he learns the RIGHT things.

fansince'76
07-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Or maybe it's to bring him in so Sweed can learn a bit. Let's just hope he learns the RIGHT things.

Maybe they can go out and pick up chicks together (http://deadspin.com/261926/if-there-is-no-poontang-for-plax-then-plax-is-leaving). :chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
07-27-2011, 05:52 PM
No thanks.

kmsteelerwr15
07-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Personally, I just don't see any room for him with the receivers we have.

steeldawg
07-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Actually Plex has 9 full seasons in the league. And he doesn't come close to averaging 1000 Yds a season. More like 850 Yds a season, and 6.1 TD's a season. And, his last season in 2008 was a Bust. And he hasn't put on a uniform since. That does NOT make for a guarantee of a 1000 Yd and 7 TD season my friend. And you are also sweeping under the rug Plex's LONG standing Issues of missing practices and meetings both here, and while in New York. As well as his off the field Issues.

we dont need him too be we need a big target in the red zone. I didnt sweep anything under the rug, The guy is a talent and he can help the team. So whatever 9 seaons at 850 and 6 tds those are solid numbers. 2008 wasnt exactly a bust for him considering he only played 10 games, the guy is a beast and is definitly worth a look for us.

GBMelBlount
07-27-2011, 06:55 PM
I'd like to think he's grown up a lot. He's no longer a rookie who spikes catches without being touched. He's much older and been through a lot. Hopefully, he's matured.

I would like to think all of these things as well. Do I believe this to likely be the case? No.

That being said, why not trust Tomlin's judgment? Bring him in, take a look at him, talk to him, talk to the players and make the determination if it is worth giving him a shot.

He may walk a bit funny after a few years in the can, but he may still have enough in the tank to improve our team.

Shoes
07-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Not going to happen!

stillers4me
07-27-2011, 07:06 PM
I would like to think all of these things as well. Do I believe this to likely be the case? No.

That being said, why not trust Tomlin's judgment? Bring him in, take a look at him, talk to him, talk to the players and make the determination if it is worth giving him a shot.

He may walk a bit funny after a few years in the can, but he may still have enough in the tank to improve our team.

:lol:

He may be a new man (or woman) after his time in the slammer. If Tomlin and the FO thinks he is, and wants to give him a chance, I'd say fine. If not, we be movin' on.

Nadroj 20
07-27-2011, 07:36 PM
good I hope we can get him back...gives us a big red zone target.

Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, and Plax in no particular order as our 5 WR's? I say awesome.

steel striker
07-27-2011, 07:40 PM
I like the WR's we have right now and, I kow he is big time deep threat. Like alot have already said it burned me up that after 04 afccg loss all he did was moan about not getting the ball. The pass he short armed would have made it a game but, that's the past. I hope we don't sign him.

Steeltreal
07-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Wallace has surpassed Ward as the #1 option . Plax can come in be a legit #2 and move Ward to the Slot where he can do what he does best, Run Block.

86WARD
07-27-2011, 08:00 PM

And he's still better than Randle El, Sweed, Battle. So why not improve the team?

86WARD
07-27-2011, 08:01 PM
good I hope we can get him back...gives us a big red zone target.

Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, and Plax in no particular order as our 5 WR's? I say awesome.

SICK!

steelerfan
07-27-2011, 08:07 PM
And he's still better than Randle El, Sweed, Battle. So why not improve the team?

Cause they ALL combined make less then what Plex will want. They ALL are hard workers who ACTUALLY attend practices and film sessions and meetings. And you assume that Plex is an upgrade, when he hasn't played in 3 years ????

Okay dude, whatever.

Nadroj 20
07-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Cause they ALL combined make less then what Plex will want. They ALL are hard workers who ACTUALLY attend practices and film sessions and meetings. And you ASSume that Plex is an upgrade, when he hasn't played in 3 years ????

Okay dude, whatever.

Well you are assuming he hasn't changed and will miss practices, meetings etc. Maybe he hasn't changed but who really knows? I do think he is more talented then those three guys even though he hasn't played in 3 years. Some guys just have it and even though he has been out of the game awhile he could bounce back no problems...Vick did it at a more difficult position rather well, so there is a decent chance.

I trust management, Tomlin, and the rest of the coaching staff. If they want to bring him in, who am I to say they are crazy for making such a move? I actually want him here but even if I didn't I trust the decision making of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They won't bring him here for the hell of it.

steelerfan
07-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Well you are assuming he hasn't changed and will miss practices, meetings etc. Maybe he hasn't changed but who really knows? I do think he is more talented then those three guys even though he hasn't played in 3 years. Some guys just have it and even though he has been out of the game awhile he could bounce back no problems...Vick did it at a more difficult position rather well, so there is a decent chance.

I trust management, Tomlin, and the rest of the coaching staff. If they want to bring him in, who am I to say they are crazy for making such a move? I actually want him here but even if I didn't I trust the decision making of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They won't bring him here for the hell of it.

If the team feels they want or need a bigger target for Ben, then why not just sign TO ? He's coming off a near 1000 Yd season in 14 games. He had 9 TD's, and he has NOT been off the past few years. And he stays in way better shape then Plex does, and actually is not a problem when it comes to practicing. Just opening up his big mouth. But, if we could get him on a conditional contract where he HAS to stay in-line, and keep his trap shut, he would be a better fit then Plex.

steelerdude15
07-27-2011, 08:36 PM
I believe our WR is stacked and doesn't need to be changed. No Plex or TO.

Nadroj 20
07-27-2011, 08:39 PM
If the team feels they want or need a bigger target for Ben, then why not just sign TO ? He's coming off a near 1000 Yd season in 14 games. He had 9 TD's, and he has NOT been off the past few years. And he stays in way better shape then Plex does, and actually is not a problem when it comes to practicing. Just opening up his big mouth. But, if we could get him on a conditional contract where he HAS to stay in-line, and keep his trap shut, he would be a better fit then Plex.

T.O. is three years older and is more injury prone and I honestly think Plex has a chip on his shoulder and I think his inspiration is Michael Vick and he wants badly to follow in his foot steps and show people he can still play.

X-Terminator
07-27-2011, 08:40 PM
NO.

That is all.

Nadroj 20
07-27-2011, 08:44 PM

How are we stacked? Wallace and Ward sure but as much as I love Sanders and Brown...both are only going to be playing in their SECOND year. The potential is through the roof for both, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they are both FOR SURE things...

So without even thinking about Plex..do you really think that our WR's are "stacked"? potential to be? Hell yes, but right now?? I'm not so sure...

fansince'76
07-27-2011, 08:54 PM
I fail to see what adding a 34-year-old WR who hasn't played a down in three years is going to do to improve the situation. However, if what I've read is true about the Giants preparing to offer him a two-year deal for $10.5 million (http://newyork.sbnation.com/new-york-giants/2011/7/27/2298694/plaxico-burress-giants-steelers-look-like-front-runners), there's no way he's coming here anyway.

steelerfan
07-27-2011, 08:55 PM
How are we stacked? Wallace and Ward sure but as much as I love Sanders and Brown...both are only going to be playing in their SECOND year. The potential is through the roof for both, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they are both FOR SURE things...

So without even thinking about Plex..do you really think that our WR's are "stacked"? potential to be? Hell yes, but right now?? I'm not so sure...

Stacked ?..maybe not. But, I will take Sanders over Plex right now anyday. He had a very good rookie season with 28 grabs, and 2 TD's. Those were better numbers then what Plex gave us his rookie year, and Plex went on to have 66 catches for over 1000 Yds in his 2nd season. So how can you say Sanders won't do as good, or even better ? And I think you are once again forgetting the Anti-Plex factor. Yeah, it's nice to HOPE Plex has changed. But I have my doubts. Dude is just a " Homie Gangsta " Always has been. Maybe the Joint changed him. But at over 4 million dollars, which is what he wants this season,,,I'm not willing to take that risk.

86WARD
07-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Cause they ALL combined make less then what Plex will want. They ALL are hard workers who ACTUALLY attend practices and film sessions and meetings. And you assume that Plex is an upgrade, when he hasn't played in 3 years ????

Okay dude, whatever.

lol...good argument. They work hard and attend practice. Yet they all BLOW and that's a fact. 3 worthless roster spots. Why would you sign TO knowing he has a torn ACL? If you've actually watched TO the last couple seasons, he has NOT been good. He's been average at best and is nursing a torn ACL. Nobody is saying get rid of Sanders for Plax.

SMR
07-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Plex went to high school a mile away from my house. I wish him well, even for all the stupid ass mistakes. He's done some good things in his neighborhood. I hope he's learned and moved on.

With that said, I doubt he will get any offer from the Steelers. Looks like the Giants want him more and want to pay him way too much.

I'm actually with you on that.

steelerfan
07-27-2011, 09:10 PM
lol...good argument. They work hard and attend practice. Yet they all BLOW and that's a fact. 3 worthless roster spots. Why would you sign TO knowing he has a torn ACL? If you've actually watched TO the last couple seasons, he has NOT been good. He's been average at best and is nursing a torn ACL. Nobody is saying get rid of Sanders for Plax.

Forgot about TO's Injury. But still, we can't dictate out of fear on what MIGHT happen. Bottom line is that We have two solid starters who don't get hurt all that much...Wallace not at all, and Ward very seldomly. And two good 2nd year WR's as well. If we do sign Plex, and they all stay healthy, then Plex won't play much. And that won't make him a Happy camper cause his deal would likely be insentive based. I would bring up Randy Moss as a better option then Plex solely based on the fact that he HAS at least played the past 2 years. But in all honesty, considering what a " Mavrick " team the Jets are, I look for them to definitely sign Moss.

We made the SB last year with a 2nd year WR in Wallace, a older Ward and Two Rooks. And now that Wallace is a legit Star WR, and with their rookie seasons behind them in Sanders & Brown,,,why rock the boat now by bringing in a KNOWN Malcontent WR who is old, brittle, and hasn't played since 2008 ? Just makes ZERO sense.

The Duke
07-27-2011, 09:13 PM

lol

I fail to see what adding a 34-year-old WR who hasn't played a down in three years is going to do to improve the situation. However, if what I've read is true about the Giants preparing to offer him a two-year deal for $10.5 million (http://newyork.sbnation.com/new-york-giants/2011/7/27/2298694/plaxico-burress-giants-steelers-look-like-front-runners), there's no way he's coming here anyway.

that says it all. Not happening

I'm all for going forward with our young receivers. Plax may be better than them, but what happens in 2-3 years when he's done? We would have hampered with the growth of sanders and brown with a guy that isn't and has never been a team player

A mark of a great QB is making your receivers look better than what they are. Ben can work with the youngsters and unveil their potential that will help us in the long run. Plax would only help us for at most three years

Let him go to Philly

Psycho Ward 86
07-27-2011, 10:04 PM

We have yet to see that our receiving corp is stacked.

ShoeHorn
07-27-2011, 10:21 PM
NO WAY! Guys coming off of prison stints always suck for at least their first year back. Vick and Jamal Lewis being two recent examples. It takes a good year or so to build your body back up from eating all that dog shit they feed you in prison is what I hear. Signing Plax would be stupid, the Steelers are doing him a favor by just talking to him. The Steelers are already way to talented at WR to overpay for an aging Plax who just got out of the hole.

tube517
07-27-2011, 10:49 PM

No way. No one is better than Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

steelreserve
07-27-2011, 11:13 PM
One more reason not to want him - he's 34 years old and he's been "on ice" for the last 2+ years. If we're going to entertain going after an older, tall WR with a ton of baggage, I'd rather go after Moss.

I actually disagree with you there. Guys who just got out of jail are OK for a year or two before they revert. Moss we'd be guaranteed to cut by Week 4 because we couldn't put up with his bullshit. Who knows if he even has skills anymore; all he does is half-ass it and mouth off. At least the other divas like Burress and T.O. are going to TRY.

steelerfan
07-27-2011, 11:20 PM
I'd rather take a Insentive based flier on Roy Williams as a tall WR. He's a better risk then Plex.

86WARD
07-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Forgot about TO's Injury. But still, we can't dictate out of fear on what MIGHT happen. Bottom line is that We have two solid starters who don't get hurt all that much...Wallace not at all, and Ward very seldomly. And two good 2nd year WR's as well. If we do sign Plex, and they all stay healthy, then Plex won't play much. And that won't make him a Happy camper cause his deal would likely be insentive based. I would bring up Randy Moss as a better option then Plex solely based on the fact that he HAS at least played the past 2 years. But in all honesty, considering what a " Mavrick " team the Jets are, I look for them to definitely sign Moss.

We made the SB last year with a 2nd year WR in Wallace, a older Ward and Two Rooks. And now that Wallace is a legit Star WR, and with their rookie seasons behind them in Sanders & Brown,,,why rock the boat now by bringing in a KNOWN Malcontent WR who is old, brittle, and hasn't played since 2008 ? Just makes ZERO sense.

Plax isn't going to be the number 1 or 2 or 3 receiver on this team. no one is looking for that. He's a MUCH better option than El...it's not close. He's a veteran receiver that you could probably get for less than his asking price and sign him to a "team friendly" deal with incentives to get him to close to what he's looking for. He's a low-risk, high reward signing. With a team friendly contract...the Malcontent, old, brittle, hasn't played since 2008 argument is out the window. Plus you free up 2-3 roster spots if he makes the team...lol.

86WARD
07-28-2011, 07:34 AM
I'd rather take a Insentive based flier on Roy Williams as a tall WR. He's a better risk then Plex.

No he's not. Roy Williams sucks and has ZERO potential. Burress, you know what he was and you know there is potential there...you just don't know how much. It's a risk. Williams isn't a risk. It's just dumb.

Why are you against improving the team?

venom
07-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Do the Steelers ( if they really want Plax ) have room under the cap ? I would never take him -get OL or CB help first

SteelerSal
07-28-2011, 08:22 AM
I would never take him -get OL or CB help first

Same here..we have more important needs to address. Reciever position is the least area of concern on the roster.

smokin3000gt
07-28-2011, 08:26 AM

:sofunny:

You paint a good picture, Gary.

86WARD
07-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Do the Steelers ( if they really want Plax ) have room under the cap ? I would never take him -get OL or CB help first

Yes. They are getting there and they have yet to touch the Bank of Ben where they could free up 8-9 million more if they want...

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Yes. They are getting there and they have yet to touch the Bank of Ben where they could free up 8-9 million more if they want...

They can't shave off 8-9 million off Ben's 2011 Cap number ( LOL )...Ben is scheduled to make just over 11 million this season. Maybe they can re-work his deal to lower it by 2 to 3 million at most, but not 8-9, you're Nuts! if you believe that. The Steelers need to cut players like Aaron Smith, maybe even Larry Foote, if they believe that Sylvester is ready, Wil Allen, Charlie Batch,m ect, ect. Do all that and we are under the Cap.

BigNastyDefense
07-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Why does everyone think that Plex is some big redzone target? Just because he is tall and can jump doesn't mean he is a redzone target.

Plex isn't a receiver who likes contact. There is going to be contact in the redzone. The DB is going to fight to knock the ball out of your hands. Plex doesn't have a knack for hanging onto those.

Does anyone remember the 2004 AFCCG against the Patriots? Fade pass to Plex in the endzone would bring us within I think it was 13 or 14 points....Plex alligator arms it and the ball falls to the ground. Plex didn't want to get hit.

In his time in Pittsburgh, Hines Ward had more redzone TD's than Plex did.

Plex, IMHO, isn't going to help this football team. He has too much baggage and too many questions. There is no way he is in any sort of football shape. He's spent the last two years in the clink. I don't care if he worked out in jail, he doesn't have the facilities available to him there that the players had even in the lockout.

XxKnightxX
07-28-2011, 09:55 AM
The way this OL is looking Ben is going to be doing 3 Step drop bombs to Wallace and Plex. Idk I know i felt bitter about him when he left, but Coughlin isnt his best friend and MIke Tomlin is a salesman. Ward Wallace Plex Sanders and Brown sounds pretty bad ass to me. I dont think the Steelers would bend over for him but it never hurts to try.

SteelerSal
07-28-2011, 10:01 AM
The way this OL is looking Ben is going to be doing 3 Step drop bombs to Wallace and Plex. Idk I know i felt bitter about him when he left, but Coughlin isnt his best friend and MIke Tomlin is a salesman. Ward Wallace Plex Sanders and Brown sounds pretty bad ass to me. I dont think the Steelers would bend over for him but it never hurts to try.

If it was 3-4 years ago I would agree..the guy has been out of football and is 34 yrs old..

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 10:04 AM
If it was 3-4 years ago I would agree..the guy has been out of football and is 34 yrs old..

Not to mention a convicted felon, and a Bad team player with zero work ethic, and is someone who would be afraid to take a hit from Paris Hilton over the middle. Let alone someone like say Ed Reed.

XxKnightxX
07-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Not to mention a convicted felon, and a Bad team player with zero work ethic, and is someone who would be afraid to take a hit from Paris Hilton over the middle. Let alone someone like say Ed Reed.

I wouldnt want to get hit with 5 STDs in one hit. Id rather be blindsided by harrison and tear my rotator cuff lmao.

steelerfan
07-28-2011, 10:13 AM
I wouldnt want to get hit with 5 STDs in one hit. Id rather be blindsided by harrison and tear my rotator cuff lmao.

You're assuming it would be just 5 STD's ? I'd put the over/under at around 8...just sayin :-)

XxKnightxX
07-28-2011, 10:15 AM
You're assuming it would be just 5 STD's ? I'd put the over/under at around 8...just sayin :-)

Yeah Im being too generous but the Lab reports are still trying to figure out what mutated STDs are in her saliva haha.

PalmerSteel
07-28-2011, 11:38 AM
if the money is right, we know if he is BS'ing in his interview, it wont get past the rooneys and tomlin so if they approve of him, i would welcome him with open arms, just like i think the team and fans would if he signed.

Polamalu Princess
07-28-2011, 11:53 AM
I am not sure about this at all. I guess I am leaning towards NO.

Steeldude
07-28-2011, 12:54 PM
The only type of WR we don't have is a big, tall target that can jump. Which Ben has said he wants. That is my thinking...

so then why talk to burress? he plays small and has poor fundamentals. burress was a joke when he was here.

86WARD
07-28-2011, 02:43 PM
They can't shave off 8-9 million off Ben's 2011 Cap number ( LOL )...Ben is scheduled to make just over 11 million this season. Maybe they can re-work his deal to lower it by 2 to 3 million at most, but not 8-9, you're Nuts! if you believe that. The Steelers need to cut players like Aaron Smith, maybe even Larry Foote, if they believe that Sylvester is ready, Wil Allen, Charlie Batch,m ect, ect. Do all that and we are under the Cap.

Absolutely can get his number to 3 million. They can pretty much get it to whatever they want. They'd have to be willing to do it. Ben has 5 years left on his deal. If they knock his salary to 1 million and give him the cash in form of a bonus ... which all players are willing to do, that's $10M spread over the life of the deal ($2M per) making his 2011 number $3M. Ask any capologist, thats pretty much how it works...and they'd have to be willing to pay Ben the cash which they could do and not be hurt because he's the QB of the future and he's going to be around for the length of the deal.

st33lersguy
07-28-2011, 02:58 PM
The Steelers don't have the money to waste on him, they have pressing needs they have to address in free agency

86WARD
07-28-2011, 03:20 PM
The Steelers don't have the money to waste on him, they have pressing needs they have to address in free agency

They wouldn't be wasting money. The front office is smart. If they want him, they'll sign him to a team friendly low risk deal. If he wants guaranteed money, they let him sign somewhere else. The front office isn't dumb.

The WH
07-28-2011, 03:53 PM
They wouldn't be wasting money. The front office is smart. If they want him, they'll sign him to a team friendly low risk deal. If he wants guaranteed money, they let him sign somewhere else. The front office isn't dumb. If Pittsburgh signs him to a 1 year deal. and he doesn't work out. Bench him. pay him his base 3 million to warm the bench. If he works out...you pay a max 5 after incentives and you get an even more complete, bad ass receiving corp.

The Steelers aren't short on cash, or brains. I think they'll be doing the right thing either way.

The WH
07-28-2011, 04:00 PM
so then why talk to burress? he plays small and has poor fundamentals. burress was a joke when he was here. Burress was the other half of the Steelers all-time leading receiver duo... was part of the first pair of 1000 yard receivers. holds the Steelers record for most receiving yards in a game. He wasn't a joke. Maybe a giant douche. But not a joke.

Craic
07-28-2011, 04:31 PM
so then why talk to burress? he plays small and has poor fundamentals. burress was a joke when he was here.

Burress came up big for us more than once. Him and Ward put up tremendous numbers for a couple years. He was a too into showmanship, which is why I think the mental lapses happened. But that is far different than being a joke. After all, they ended up using a third round in 2005 and a first and third round pick in 2006 to find a replacement for him, as well as bringing in two WR's in 2005 via FA, one of who started that year. Whereas, they were stable at the WR position since Plax was drafted in 2000, wasting precious few draft picks on WR's. That wasn't because we were so run focused either. In 2001-03, we were steadily moving to a pass first offense. 2004 We went back to run first, Plax left, then in 2006, after two heavy years of running (though 2005 was pass in the first half, run in the second), Cowher spent both the 1st and 3rd round picks on WR.

1 first round, 2 third round, and 2 FA's to fill one position in two years shows the whole left when Burress went to the Giants.

Steeldude
07-30-2011, 02:55 AM
Burress was the other half of the Steelers all-time leading receiver duo... was part of the first pair of 1000 yard receivers. holds the Steelers record for most receiving yards in a game. He wasn't a joke. Maybe a giant douche. But not a joke.

when a 6' 5" WR can't catch a ball at it's highest catchable point, then he is a joke. too many times i have seen burress trying to catch lobs with his chest. he played small.

my opinon of course : )

86WARD
07-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Antwan Randle El didn't catch the ball with his chest and jump everytime a ball was thrown his way?

86WARD
07-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Burress out of prison >>>>>>>>> Randle El at any point in his career.

steeldevil
07-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Burress is at SV and is talking to Tomlin right now.

stillers4me
07-30-2011, 10:53 AM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/1258323861/insider-new_logo-2_copy_normal.jpgTIOPS_DePaoli (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/TIOPS_DePaoli)Will DePaoli

Plax has been around at camp for at least 3 hours. Now chatting with players. #Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Steelers)

pepsyman1
07-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Every extra minute he stays is potentially one minute taken off Sweed's future in Pittsburgh...lol

steelerfan
07-30-2011, 11:03 AM
How long he stays around talking means nothing. You really think the Steelers are gonna come to some contract agreement with this guy without having him go through a complete physical ?, and several workouts ? That would take a minimum of 3 to 5 days. So his visit today in fact means next to nothing.

Nadroj 20
07-30-2011, 11:06 AM
How long he stays around talking means nothing. You really think the Steelers are gonna come to some contract agreement with this guy without having him go through a complete physical ?, and several workouts ? That would take a minimum of 3 to 5 days. So his visit today in fact means next to nothing.

Don't get carried away here man. There is no way this visit means next to nothing even if we DON'T sign him. It is to get a feel of how Plax is feeling and doing and thats important.

steelerfan
07-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Don't get carried away here man. There is no way this visit means next to nothing even if we DON'T sign him. It is to get a feel of how Plax is feeling and doing and thats important.

Important ?....or down right scarey that our team would even consider bringing back a KNOWN Malcontent, Lazy, Me-first " Thug " and Felon who hasn't seen the field in 3 years and is already way past his prime.

I vote Scarey!

Nadroj 20
07-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Important ?....or down right scarey that our team would even consider bringing back a KNOWN Malcontent, Lazy, Me-first " Thug " and Felon who hasn't seen the field in 3 years and is already way past his prime.

I vote Scarey!

I would like to think us as fans can have a little more faith in our team. They aren't going to sign him just to piss you off. They will have reasons and offer him a contract according to how they feel he can benefit the team.

If they don't offer him a contract then we move on and probably realize the fit was not a good one, if we do offer him a contract however, who are we to say they are completely dead wrong??

steelerfan
07-30-2011, 11:15 AM
It's their decision, I accept that. It's just my own personal vote.

Nadroj 20
07-30-2011, 11:17 AM
According to Colbert, there have been no contract negotiations with the free-agent wide receiver, who was released from prison earlier this summer. But overall it was a productive visit.

"Drew [Rosenhaus], his agent, is interested, and we're certainly interested," Colbert said. "So where it goes, we will find out."

The next step would be determining a price tag. The Steelers did not work out Burress Saturday.

"We've seen enough of [Burress'] work. Of course, if we advance to a contract, we'd have to do a physical and see where he is physically," Colbert said. "But from what I've seen he looks great from a conditioning standpoint. Of course, he's missed two years of football. Until he gets back on the football field, nobody is going to know that."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6818541/plaxico-burress-meets-pittsburgh-steelers?campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

86WARD
07-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Every extra minute he stays is potentially one minute taken off Sweed's future in Pittsburgh...lol

Lol...

Edman
07-30-2011, 11:37 AM
It doesn't matter how much the players talk to Plax. The money talks loudest. And Plax will go to where the money is.

GBMelBlount
07-30-2011, 12:30 PM

C'mon man, every team should have at least one lazy, malcontent, Me-first thug / felon in their locker room.

It's all about diversity.

stillers4me
07-30-2011, 01:57 PM
C'mon man, every team should have at least one lazy, malcontent, Me-first thug / felon in their locker room.

:lol:

steelerfan
07-30-2011, 02:02 PM

Then lets go after Braylon Edwards. At least he has DONE something in the league the past 3 years!!

st33lersguy
07-30-2011, 02:06 PM

I vote Scarey!

Particularly when the Steelers have other needs to address and are wasting valuable time on Plex they could be spending on say a competent Right Guard

The WH
07-30-2011, 02:33 PM
The drinker, the wife-beater, the illegal gun shooter.

I am down with that nursery rhyme.

Craic
07-30-2011, 03:17 PM

I vote Scarey!

Well,, Jerome Bettis was a KNOWN lazy, overweight, malcontent who didn't work hard. Until he showed up in Pittsburgh. That turned out rather well. Plaxico made some stupid plays and even dumber comments. But something tells me three years away from the game, then the chance to come back to where it all began for him may just be the proper elixir.

Particularly when the Steelers have other needs to address and are wasting valuable time on Plex they could be spending on say a competent Right Guard

Naa, we have a couple guys that can and probably will challenge for that positions this year. I keep thinking about Legursky. When he played it last year, I think he only allowed one sack. Maybe two. He was solid.

I'm sure Plax. isn't going to get a lot of money. Matter of fact, if he's signed, it'll prob. be for a little better than league min, at say, 3 string receiver money laden with bonuses, which would be fair. Also, we need camp fodder, so bringing him back won't hurt. It'll also light a fire under Sweed for his last shot at glory.

Count Steeler
07-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Just heard on NFL Network, Eagles are going to make a play for Plax.

86WARD
07-30-2011, 04:15 PM
The Steelers say they are interested in signing Burress, but they are scrambling to get under the salary cap even before they see what it might take to sign him.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/1164126-100.stm#ixzz1TcqXjOSC

86WARD
07-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Just heard on NFL Network, Eagles are going to make a play for Plax.

Wouldn't fucking surprise me at all...the Eagles are ridiculous right now...

Steeldude
07-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Antwan Randle El didn't catch the ball with his chest and jump everytime a ball was thrown his way?

that's a good thing because you aren't supposed to catch the ball with your chest. who is clamoring for randle el to be thrown lobs in the red zone?

Craic
07-30-2011, 06:38 PM
that's a good thing because you aren't supposed to catch the ball with your chest. who is clamoring for randle el to be thrown lobs in the red zone?

I was thinking about that earlier today, wondering if part of the Steelers' interest in him is more red-zone production. He won't be seeing the field as often that way, so his thirty-something body won't be breaking down as much.

Psycho Ward 86
07-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Wouldn't fucking surprise me at all...the Eagles are ridiculous right now...

Speaking of which, how much freakin' cap room do they have left???

O'Malley
07-30-2011, 06:52 PM
They have to be getting close...

steelerfan
07-30-2011, 07:00 PM

I don't know. But one thing IS for sure in my opinion, with all these MASSIVE Free agent signings, if the Eagles also add free agent WR Burress to the mix while totally AVOIDING their own Desean Jackson...even though I KNOW he still is technically under contract for one final season...this is gonna get ugly. I mean how do you pay someone like Plaxico 5 million for this season,,,while Desean is not even making 1 million ? And Desean is the FUTURE of your WR core ?

The Eagles management is just begging for trouble if they sign Burress.

JayC
07-30-2011, 07:00 PM
im all for cutting sweed & signing him but it's all about the money so some other team will probably get him

steelreserve
07-30-2011, 07:11 PM
if we do offer him a contract however, who are we to say they are completely dead wrong??

Perfectly reasonable and within our rights, that's who we are. There have been plenty of times when I've been right and the front office has gotten it dead wrong, and the same goes for a lot of people around here. Could I run a practice, or figure out who to take in the sixth round of the draft? Probably not. But this whole idea that if you're not part of an NFL staff, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about and can't recognize a bad signing when you see one -- complete nonsense. Not to mention that we might as well not have a message board if that was the case, since there'd be nothing to discuss.

I don't necessarily think this would be a bad signing, by the way. Not unless we threw a bunch of money at him. Then it would be stupid.

86WARD
07-30-2011, 07:23 PM

It was a sarcastic question...it is all ARE did...

No one is clamoring for ARE to be thrown the ball at all. I'm just saying Burress is a better option than El.

86WARD
07-30-2011, 07:23 PM

They actually have more than anyone thought because they have credits from previous seasons that they are applying this year as well...

Nadroj 20
07-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Perfectly reasonable and within our rights, that's who we are. There have been plenty of times when I've been right and the front office has gotten it dead wrong, and the same goes for a lot of people around here. Could I run a practice, or figure out who to take in the sixth round of the draft? Probably not. But this whole idea that if you're not part of an NFL staff, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about and can't recognize a bad signing when you see one -- complete nonsense. Not to mention that we might as well not have a message board if that was the case, since there'd be nothing to discuss.

I don't necessarily think this would be a bad signing, by the way. Not unless we threw a bunch of money at him. Then it would be stupid.

I have too. Don't get me wrong I don't agree with everything the front office and coaching staff does either. I do like to think though in certain situations like this, where we may not know everything...its good to put faith in them and feel like they are doing what they do for a reason.

This isn't your typical free agency signing with everything else involved.