PDA

View Full Version : Current updated 2011 Steelers salary cap situation:

stillers4me
07-22-2011, 10:19 AM
http://burgh.us/2tq

KeiselPower99
07-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Some serious numbers on that list. We are at 131 and need to be under 120 and still have room to sign Ike and the rookies. Wow that uncapped year hurt us.

steelerfan
07-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Looking at that list, we are not even close to being in trouble. I mean you guys have GOT to take off your steeler colored glasses and be real here. The team will definitely restructure deals like Hampton's, Ward, Miller's, and really they will cut players like Wil Allen, and Battle, probably Flozel Adams as well. And should either drastically deal down Aaron Smith's deal, or just cut him as well. That right there shaves over 30 + million. We have alot of players who can be cut, as well as re-worked.

We are fine.

KeiselPower99
07-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Aaron Smith is the only real player Im worried about losing. I think he will restructure. I cant believe Battle was paid that much. Such a waste.

steelerfan
07-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Aaron Smith is the only real player Im worried about losing. I think he will restructure. I cant believe Battle was paid that much. Such a waste.

Just for sentimental reasons we MIGHT keep Aaron around if he does agree to restructure down his deal. But really, we can't afford to keep him as is, and your usernames sake Keisel around at their salaries. I mean we have Hood ready to go, and just drafted another DE. I think Smith goes. And Brent and Hood are the starters this season. And Cameron takes Brent's spot next season.

The Duke
07-22-2011, 12:32 PM

waste? He was one of the main reasons for our great special teams last year. I'll take the 1.4 cap hit for that, and I'm sure the steelers will too considering how bad it's been in the past

I see them asking Troy to restructure too. 8 million on his last year? Pretty sure he'll have a deal sooner rather than later

Chidi29
07-22-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm not concerned. Omar Kahn is an extremely smart man, I'm sure there's a lot that can be done to get us under the cap.

Chidi29
07-22-2011, 12:40 PM

Battle was a great asset on special teams as the wedgebuster. Fans don't notice special teams until they're costing you games. If there's any team that's seen that first-hand, it's us.

Besides, vet min is what, $825,000? Really didn't pay him that much more.

SteelGhost
07-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Battle was a great asset on special teams as the wedgebuster. Fans don't notice special teams until they're costing you games. If there's any team that's seen that first-hand, it's us.

Besides, vet min is what, $825,000? Really didn't pay him that much more.

Agreed, Battle played very well last year. I'd prefer to keep him over ARE and his fantastic fair catches.

Chidi29
07-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Help me out here capologists.

I'm trying to understand the cap charge a little better. It's been awhile since I've looked at it. If we were for example to release Aaron Smith, his cap charge is even more than his salary. It's like that for most if not all players.

Or is that what the player will count against the cap if we keep him? I know there can be charges even if you cut a player but how exactly does that work?

steelreserve
07-23-2011, 09:36 PM
A. Smith - gone
Batch - retires or gone
Woodley - negotiated down to more like $4-5M; no way we leave the $10M franchise tag in place
Randle El or Battle (pick one) - gone

There's the end of your cap problem right there.

Although one potential problem is that I do NOT see a whole lot of room for restructuring any of the veterans, as some have suggested. A lot of them already signed deals that were relatively cap-friendly to us compared to their market value ... and most of that group probably are on their last contract. Ward, Hampton, Harrison, Farrior, Smith, Adams, possibly Clark. Polamalu's next deal coming up is probably going to be his last sizable contract as well. So essentially, "restructuring" these guys is the same as asking them to take straight pay cuts.

Of course, the bigger problem is simply that we're likely to lose Ward, Hampton, Harrison, Farrior, Smith, Adams and possibly Clark all in the next year or two, and money has nothing to do with it. Ouch.

SteelGhost
07-24-2011, 08:41 PM
A. Smith - gone
Batch - retires or gone
Woodley - negotiated down to more like $4-5M; no way we leave the $10M franchise tag in place
Randle El or Battle (pick one) - gone

There's the end of your cap problem right there.

Although one potential problem is that I do NOT see a whole lot of room for restructuring any of the veterans, as some have suggested. A lot of them already signed deals that were relatively cap-friendly to us compared to their market value ... and most of that group probably are on their last contract. Ward, Hampton, Harrison, Farrior, Smith, Adams, possibly Clark. Polamalu's next deal coming up is probably going to be his last sizable contract as well. So essentially, "restructuring" these guys is the same as asking them to take straight pay cuts.

Of course, the bigger problem is simply that we're likely to lose Ward, Hampton, Harrison, Farrior, Smith, Adams and possibly Clark all in the next year or two, and money has nothing to do with it. Ouch.

Nice post SR :thumbsup:

Maybe we can add Colon, Foote or Gay, I think one of them gets cut ( I hope Gay, LOL.)

zulater
07-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Geez it's not a good day for me when I see Aaron Smith dismissed so casually by a couple Steeler fans. If he's recovered from his injury ( no reason to think otherwise that I know of) he's still the preeminent 3-4 defensive end. I'm excited about Ziggy Hood too, but there's no way this team is better without a healthy Arron Smith than it is with him. I hope they find a way to keep Aaron and use him in a rotation with Ziggy and Keisel. Hell I wouldn't even rule out the possiblility that Aaron could sub for Hampton at nose tackle in spots, he's certainly strong enough, and knows just about every technique in the book.

I know I'm in the minority, but I still think character matters in this league, and if that's true, and Aaron smith is healthy, then there's a place for him on my team.

SteelGhost
07-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Geez it's not a good day for me when I see Aaron Smith dismissed so casually by a couple Steeler fans. If he's recovered from his injury ( no reason to think otherwise that I know of) he's still the preeminent 3-4 defensive end. I'm excited about Ziggy Hood too, but there's no way this team is better without a healthy Arron Smith than it is with him. I hope they find a way to keep Aaron and use him in a rotation with Ziggy and Keisel. Hell I wouldn't even rule out the possiblility that Aaron could sub for Hampton at nose tackle in spots, he's certainly strong enough, and knows just about every technique in the book.

I know I'm in the minority, but I still think character matters in this league, and if that's true, and Aaron smith is healthy, then there's a place for him on my team.

Just to clarify Zu, I'm not dismissing Smith, in fact I consider him one of the best Steelers of all time, but I guess he will retire due to his injuries and his son. I'd love to see him wearing B & G with pride and playing at a high level, but MAYBE it's not going to happen for salary cap reasons.

I agree 100% character and class matters, and Aaron is a great leader and I appreciate all he's done for the team.

The Duke
07-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Just to clarify Zu, I'm not dismissing Smith, in fact I consider him one of the best Steelers of all time, but I guess he will retire due to his injuries and his son. I'd love to see him wearing B & G with pride and playing at a high level, but MAYBE it's not going to happen for salary cap reasons.

I agree 100% character and class matters, and Aaron is a great leader and I appreciate all he's done for the team.

yep. I love Smith and I do believe character matters, but his cap charge is too high at the moment

He may be asked to restructure and I'm sure he'd have no problem with it

And if he does stay Ziggy will go back to the bench, no doubt about that. But it's not like he won't play at all

86WARD
07-26-2011, 03:20 PM
As of right now, the Steelers need to get rid of 14.2 million just to get to the cap. They could probably go to the Bank of Ben and free up about 8-9 million. I think he is due about 11.6 million for 2011. Move him down to 1.6 in salary and spread the 10 over 5 years and he's costing 3 million. Starks/Adams both make 5...one of them could possibly go...preferably Adams. Right there is 13M freed up. So there might be somewhere else to go and keep Adams. Smith is due 5 million. Hampton is due 4M...there's a lot of places they can go to restructure or outright cut. To get that number...the big start would be the Bank of Ben...

JayC
07-26-2011, 10:04 PM
i'd cut both el and battle. you can get someone for the league min that serves what both of them do

Austin87
07-27-2011, 04:19 AM
Foote needs to take a paycut. He is getting paid about the same as James Farrior...and Farrior is a starter.