PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison rips Roger Goodell

venom
07-13-2011, 07:15 AM
NEW YORK -- Heavily fined Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) linebacker James Harrison (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4433) calls NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook" and a "devil," among other insults, in a magazine article.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6764826/james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-blasts-roger-goodell-magazine-interview

Great article

Bluecoat96
07-13-2011, 07:21 AM
"If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it," Harrison told the magazine. "I hate him and will never respect him."

best line of the article

Devilsdancefloor
07-13-2011, 07:55 AM
LMAO oh james tell us how you feel. oh i love this guy. i think the stelers should draft a kent state LBer every 10 years or so lol

SteelerSal
07-13-2011, 07:55 AM
If the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"

Harrison is the only player with the balls to speak his mind......other players need to step up also.

Bluecoat96
07-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Adam Schefter posted this as well over on FB. It's amazing the ass-clowns that have come out of the woodwork to type stupid stuff blasting Harrison.

The only thing that pisses me off about the ESPN/Men's Health article is the supposed criticism Harrison had for Big Ben and Mendie. I'm willing to bet that Harrison didn't say much at all about the both of them, but both Men's Health and BSPN twisted the facts a little to sell more magazines and get more web hits.

SteelerSal
07-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Adam Schefter posted this as well over on FB. It's amazing the ass-clowns that have come out of the woodwork to type stupid stuff blasting Harrison.

The only thing that pisses me off about the ESPN/Men's Health article is the supposed criticism Harrison had for Big Ben and Mendie. I'm willing to bet that Harrison didn't say much at all about the both of them, but both Men's Health and BSPN twisted the facts a little to sell more magazines and get more web hits.

Don't they always? :)

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Harrison also criticizes other NFL execs, Patriots-turned-commentators Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi ("clowns"), Houston's Brian Cushing ("juiced out of his mind") -- and even teammates Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in the Super Bowl loss.

What the hell is this? I want more details here. Never criticize your teammates James.

For the millionth time you are only making things so much harder on yourself. This is only going to piss Goodell and the league off even more. Shut up already!

Bluecoat96
07-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Don't they always? :)

Exactly. I don't know why I continue to let it piss me off. The look on my daughter's face to the left here sums up my exact feelings right now!!! :)

Burghfan58
07-13-2011, 08:32 AM
I know Rooney and Tomlin are not supposed to talk to players during the lockout but they need to tell James to tone it down a bit or the Steelers will be missing Ward and Silverback for the first game against the Rats.

venom
07-13-2011, 08:33 AM
I hope James saved some money- could be an expensive year for him , lol

Devilsdancefloor
07-13-2011, 08:56 AM
He is unemployed he can say WTF he wants about the commish with out any repercussions and hines will not be suspended either if edwards and countless others do not miss games over DUI, then he will not either. i am just glad he is speaking up about the commish. Now if he criticized his teammates over the super bowl loss all they have to say is damn you where very quite during the bowl.

Bluecoat96
07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
This is the blip from the actual article where James criticizes Ben. I bet this was said in jest initially, but will of course not be taken that way by the writer of the article, along with the readers. Men's Health is going to make some serious coin off of this magazine. A$$holes.

On the two interceptions thrown by Ben Roethlisberger in last year’s Super Bowl:
“Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain’t that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does.”

salamander
07-13-2011, 09:02 AM
If/when the lockout is over, Harrison will receive at least a $250,000 fine for hurting the widdle commish's feelings and the Pats* will receive 5 extra draft picks.

SteelerSal
07-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Exactly. I don't know why I continue to let it piss me off. The look on my daughter's face to the left here sums up my exact feelings right now!!! :)

Love the picture, Matt. :lol:

steeldevil
07-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Love what he said about Goodell Castro. Hate what he said about Ben. Don't say stuff like that about teammates.

Bluecoat96
07-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Love the picture, Matt. :lol:

Thanks, Sal! She's all cute now since she's 7 1/2 months old, but when she can speak and give me that look, I probably won't find it quite as funny.

SteelerEmpire
07-13-2011, 09:36 AM
What the hell is this? I want more details here. Never criticize your teammates James.

For the millionth time you are only making things so much harder on yourself. This is only going to piss Goodell and the league off even more. Shut up already!

This public lambasting of his teammates is so "Terrell Owens-ish" it's scary. Come on James, put it in the past... And why weren't you able to get to Rogers in the SB ? Harrison is just starting to get a lil ridiculous with it now...

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Now if he criticized his teammates over the super bowl loss all they have to say is damn you where very quite during the bowl.

Exactly. Where was he when Rodgers was torching us?

SteelerEmpire
07-13-2011, 09:44 AM
I just looked at some of the other teams message boards on this subject... it's about 100% agreed upon that Harrison is now considered a dumb ass.... well except the part about Goodell...

steeldevil
07-13-2011, 09:48 AM
I just looked at some of the other teams message boards on this subject... it's about 100% agreed upon that Harrison is now considered a dumb ass....

Good thing the other teams are insignificant.

I did enjoy the stuff he said about the Pats* though.

And maybe he is just trying to light a fire under Ben's ass... IDK.

SteelerFanInStl
07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm working from home today and this is all over ESPN. Of course Cris Carter said that everything that Goodell has done has made the NFL a better league. What a load of crap! I don't mind the comments about Goodell one bit because they're 100% true. ESPN said that despite the lockout, the NFL Personal Conduct Policy is still in force and players can still get fined/suspended. They also suggested that the Steelers themselves might step up on this and take care of it themselves. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen since the Steelers have done that in the past.

I absolutely don't like the comments about Ben and Mendy. Win as a team and lose as a team. If you feel that way, tell your teammate(s) about it but keep it out of the press.

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm working from home today and this is all over ESPN. Of course Cris Carter said that everything that Goodell has done has made the NFL a better league.

ESPN = the NFL's, and in turn, Goodell's, mouthpiece. The league is definitely NOT better than it was 10 years ago. And it's infinitely worse than the game I was so drawn to back in the '70s as a child. Crock of shit is right.

SteelerEmpire
07-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Ryan Clark just responded:

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1376916060/new_one_normal.jpg @RealRClark25
ryan clark
“@Tristin_Elise:will the lockerroom b cool with him ripping his own teammates?” Locker room stuff gets handle in the locker room not twitter

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 09:56 AM
I just looked at some of the other teams message boards on this subject... it's about 100% agreed upon that Harrison is now considered a dumb ass.... well except the part about Goodell...

Even the part about Goodell needs to be left unsaid. He is only going to make things worse for himself. We all know his feelings about Goodell and we all understand them and think he has great reason to hate Goodell, BUT he needs to keep his mouth shut.

What is saying something like the goodell on fire quote EVER going to accomplish? Nothing good thats for sure.

SteelerEmpire
07-13-2011, 09:56 AM
And here's the whole article (Men's Journal) if not already posted:

LINK: http://www.mensjournal.com/jamesharrison

SteelerFanInStl
07-13-2011, 09:59 AM
ESPN = the NFL's, and in turn, Goodell's, mouthpiece. The league is definitely NOT better than it was 10 years ago. And it's infinitely worse than the game I was so drawn to back in the '70s as a child. Crock of shit is right.

Yep. You and I started watching at the same time (I started in '75). I think that James' comment about Goodell starting his own flag football league was spot on.

suitanim
07-13-2011, 10:09 AM
One of my friends said he thinks that Harrison is retiring due to failed back surgery, and he just doesn't want to admit it,,,that would explain him seemingly going crazy like this.

Even though I think it was a mistake to say any of this, I don't necessarily disagree with any of it...even the bad stuff about Ben. It's not nice, but it's not necessarily untrue. Still, completely uncalled for to internal air dirty laundry in public, and the Goodell comments will definitely result in some kind of penalty.

SteelerFanInStl
07-13-2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the link. I'm reading the article now. I don't care what James says, personally I love the guy. He's a football player. A true throwback to what football players used to be. I love this:

Harrison, who lives in a suburb north of Pittsburgh, has come to Arizona to heal and train after back surgery over the winter, and he is bored and antagonized by the desert. “There’s snakes out there. I grabbed a rattler by his tail and threw him over the fence last month.”

You grabbed a rattler bare-handed?

“Had to,” he says. “My son was here visiting, so that bitch had to bounce out. ASAP.”

steeldevil
07-13-2011, 10:13 AM
That part about the rattle snake was awesome. Wonder if its true though? Probably.

steelpride12
07-13-2011, 10:17 AM
James Harrison thank you for speaking your mind and the truth of GODell. James Harrison you're an idiot for criticizing your teammates.

SteelerFanInStl
07-13-2011, 10:17 AM
That part about the rattle snake was awesome. Wonder if its true though? Probably.

Knowing James, I'm sure that it is. I also like what he said about Troy:

On Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu:
“He’s the one guy in football I respect absolutely, ‘cause he’s spiritual and lives it like he talks it. You know, he gets more flags than anyone on our team but never gets fined for nothin’. He’s so polite and talks so softly that he could tell he could tell Goodell to kiss his ass, and Goodell would smile and say thank you.”

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 10:21 AM
On the two interceptions thrown by Ben Roethlisberger in last year’s Super Bowl:
“Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain’t that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does.”Kind of a bad example, considering Manning threw a pick-six to ice SB XLIV for the Saints....

steelpride12
07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
[/I]Kind of a bad example, considering Manning threw a pick-six to ice SB XLIV for the Saints....
Bad example, but bad move all together. I know James is emotion and speaks from the heart and the GODell comments are totally understandable, but to rag on your own teammates is just personal and going to cause un-needed drama.

VTsteel
07-13-2011, 10:32 AM
I love Harrisons candor and non-sugar coated manner of expressing himself . . . when it comes to everyone except his teammates.

That crap he said about Ben and Mendy is divisive, unprofessional and just plain wrong to do in a public forum. Openly criticizing anyone on your team (especially as sharply as Harrison did) - does not support team unity, diminishes team trust and really just makes him an ass. As James is an elder statesman on my beloved team - I can only hope that he isn't teaching the younger players that this was a good idea.

kmsteelerwr15
07-13-2011, 10:36 AM
I also have no problem with what he said about Goodell; I agree 100%, but I do have an issue with him calling out his teammates like everyone else does.

steeldevil
07-13-2011, 10:38 AM
I also have no problem with what he said about Goodell; I agree 100%, but I do have an issue with him calling out his teammates like everyone else does.

More wasted picks by the Bobcats.... Still pissed the Hornets left.... Trying to like the Bobcats but its really hard when they waste picks and are essentially the Charlotte Professional Tar Heels...

Sorry for going off topic. :kissass:

steelpride12
07-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Most everything he said about his teammates were true and Ill give him that you know, but was it necessary to open your mouth about them?! NO! Just added drama to his long story and more we have to deal with all season blah!

tube517
07-13-2011, 10:39 AM
]I just looked at some of the other teams message boards on this subject[/B]... it's about 100% agreed upon that Harrison is now considered a dumb ass.... well except the part about Goodell...

Who gives a rat's ass what other team's message boards say?

steeldevil
07-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Apparently what he said about Mendenhall is that he is a "fumble machine"

steelpride12
07-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Apparently what he said about Mendenhall is that he is a "fumble machine"
See it's words like that which never needed to be spoken out to the public. This will forever scar the locker room.

kmsteelerwr15
07-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Most everything he said about his teammates were true and Ill give him that you know, but was it necessary to open your mouth about them?! NO! Just added drama to his long story and more we have to deal with all season blah!

I said I did have a problem with him calling out Ben and Rashard. If he really felt the need to say it then he needed to tell them to their face and not a magazine.

Animal Mother
07-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Emmanuel Sanders and Jason Worilds - your new starting Steelers for 2011!

suitanim
07-13-2011, 10:43 AM
As far as other teams fans go, they love to hate guys like Harrison. But the fact is, they really just wish he was playing for THEIR team.

steeldevil
07-13-2011, 10:47 AM
As far as other teams fans go, they love to hate guys like Harrison. But the fact is, they really just wish he was playing for THEIR team.

Oh yeah... Just like Porter before him.

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 10:49 AM
He shouldn't have said anything about his teammates we agree on that.

We all agree with what he said about goodell and that its kinda funny and he has a right to dislike him.

But why is some of you ok with him actually coming out and publically saying these things about Goodell??? It doesn't matter that we agree or think he has a point! He shouldn't be calling out the guy who already seems to hate him!!

He is only going to make things worse for himself AND the steelers!

steelpride12
07-13-2011, 10:49 AM
I said I did have a problem with him calling out Ben and Rashard. If he really felt the need to say it then he needed to tell them to their face and not a magazine.
Oh I know what you said man and I was just agreeing and adding on to your comments :)

Bluecoat96
07-13-2011, 10:52 AM

That's not quite the entire article. It says so before his quotes about Ben, etc. They conveniently left enough out so that we'll go and buy the issue. I think they wanna siphon as much money off of this crap as possible.

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 10:53 AM
He shouldn't have said anything about his teammates we agree on that.

We all agree with what he said about goodell and that its kinda funny and he has a right to dislike him.

But why is some of you ok with him actually coming out and publically saying these things about Goodell??? It doesn't matter that we agree or think he has a point! He shouldn't be calling out the guy who already seems to hate him!!

He is only going to make things worse for himself AND the steelers!

Agreed. Hines is going to get at LEAST a game's suspension now. Still, the part about not being willing to take a wizz on Goodell if he was on fire was laugh-out-loud funny. :lol:

steelpride12
07-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Ugh drama coming to the Steelers this early in the summer is not what we needed.

salamander
07-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Ugh drama coming to the Steelers this early in the summer is not what we needed.

After the last few offseasons, you'd think we'd be used to it by now. At least it's not Ben this time.

oneforthetoe
07-13-2011, 11:09 AM
I'll defend James against the on-slot by the NFL all the live long day, but he really needs to shut-it. First, we all know Goodell is a idiot, who has it in for James. You can't give him another reason. You need to suck it up for your team.

As for the comments about Ben and Mendy, you just can't go there. Maybe if you had gotten more than one sack and little pressure the entire game, this would be slightly more tolerable?

While the Steelers are not going to do anything crazy like cut Harrison, don't be shocked if the Rooneys give him a game suspension or a fine (assuming for the moment that they can). Dan is a league guy, who has supported James against the League in the past, but I think he will feel that this is a step too far. Apparently there was a gay slur in that rant? Yea the world is far too sensitive, but it is what it is.

And the comments against the teammates is just too far as well.

Devilsdancefloor
07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
his teammates by now know EXACTLY what kind of guy he is, so will this really surprise any of them? i mean once the shock of what he said kinda fades. i think they will understand this is james being james.

kmsteelerwr15
07-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Oh I know what you said man and I was just agreeing and adding on to your comments :)

Ok gotcha :thumbsup:

suitanim
07-13-2011, 11:28 AM
This just in: As punishment for Harrison's words, Roger Goodell has stripped the Steelers of their next 5 1st round draft picks....

...And rewarded them to the New England Patriots.

Bluecoat96
07-13-2011, 11:38 AM
From Mendenhall's twitter account

(http://twitter.com/#%21/R_Mendenhall)@R_Mendenhall (http://twitter.com/#%21/R_Mendenhall) Rashard Mendenhall

And lastly, I dont have a problem with what @jharrison9292 (http://twitter.com/jharrison9292) said because I know him. But I want you guys 2 check this out espn.go.com/nfl/statistics… (http://t.co/I47fLpU)

steelpride12
07-13-2011, 11:41 AM
After the last few offseasons, you'd think we'd be used to it by now. At least it's not Ben this time.
Exactly man. It's just like when you think Steelers you think of drama. Was always Ben and now it's Ward and Harrison already in mid-July. Not good.

steelpride12
07-13-2011, 11:42 AM

[URL="http://t.co/I47fLpU"] (http://twitter.com/#%21/R_Mendenhall)
LOL Benson has 7!

steeldevil
07-13-2011, 11:58 AM

[URL="http://t.co/I47fLpU"] (http://twitter.com/#%21/R_Mendenhall)

Still dont get why people are still on Mendy about the fumbling. He only fumbled 2 times last year in the reg season. I guess because he fumbled in the AFCCG and the SB, but that hit by Matthews was awesome. There was no way he was going to hold on to that ball... Not Mendenhalls fault. Matthews should not have been able to come in the backfield like that...

Carolina Steelers
07-13-2011, 11:58 AM
WOW im late to this party. I love Harrison but he needs to just shut up and play football, yes some of his comments about goodell may be right but why say it theres no positives in saying. And talking about your teamates is un called for. Without Ben and Mendy the Steelers dont even make Super Bowl IMO. Harrisons antics are getting old just play like you know how.

Edman
07-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Ben once again, was the reason why the Steelers had any kind of pulse in XLV after falling behind 21-3. Again, as long as Ben is under center, the Steelers have a shot in any game.

steelpride12
07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Ben once again, was the reason why the Steelers had any kind of pulse in XLV after falling behind 21-3. Again, as long as Ben is under center, the Steelers have a shot in any game.
Tell Harrison that.

zulater
07-13-2011, 12:52 PM
A few things to be said.

First and slightly off topic, someone put it out as if Ward will be suspended. He wont, guilty or innocent the league nor the team have the right to suspend him as a first time offender. Nor will they want to.

Now as to Harrison. I wont be even a little bit surprised if he's played his last down as a Steeler, nor will I be dissapointed. I don't like or respect what he's said, and how's he's said it, and that includes what he's says about Goodell.

For one thing he's become the driving force of the ever growing contigent of Steeler players and fans who subscribe to the "league is out to get us" theory. They're not, and the continued insistence that they are is becoming embarrasing to me as a Steeler fan. We've became the Seahawk fans, the tin foil on my hat guy, the government invented aids idiots etc....It's coincidence, the league is trying to eliminate some of the head shots, the Steelers are among the harder hitting teams, ergo we've come to the same fork in the road at the same time, and neither wants to yield right of way. It will work out fine in the end and the Steelers and league will both continue to prosper.

Ok now I've got that off my chest...

Harrison is a moron, he's just begging to be suspended for the next borderline hit, and I wouldn't blame the league one bit.

Harrison wont neccessarily be suspended for his most recent comments by the league, but he could be by the Steelers. I'm sure all the Rooney's are just loving all this neat attention. If the Steelers keep Harrison, and in my opinion that's a big IF, I suspect they'll at least fine him and possibly suspend him for insubordinate comments if the leage doesn't do so first.

If the Steelers decide they've had enough of Harrison look for the Jets to be one of the few bidders( maybe the only), and look for them to lowball the Steelers with an offer 4th or 5th round pick.

The only way I personally want Harrison back is if he apoligizes to both Ben and Mendenhall face to face and publicly. He probably wont, so I suspect that he'll be gone by seasons end at the latest.

Bluecoat96
07-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Like I thought. end of story IMHO

http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/407984660/schefter4_normal.JPG
AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter) Adam Schefter

Roethlisberger told Hoge that he is taking Harrison at his word and that their relationship is “fine”.

(http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter/status/91206131975852033)[/URL]

»
AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/#) Adam Schefter

According to Roethlisberger, Harrison claims the writer twisted many of his comments and it was not his intention to criticize the QB.

(http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter/status/91206074014773248)

»
[URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter"]AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/#) Adam Schefter

1/2 Merril Hoge said James Harrison called Ben Roethlisberger this morning to explain his comments in the upcoming issue of Men’s Journal.

SteelerFanInStl
07-13-2011, 01:04 PM
The only way I personally want Harrison back is if he apoligizes to both Ben and Mendenhall face to face and publicly. He probably wont, so I suspect that he'll be gone by seasons end at the latest.

You sound just like all of the Steeler "fans" last year who wanted to ship Ben out of town. If Mendy doesn't have a problem with what James said, then why do you? I don't personally condone what James said but he's got the right to speak his mind. Most likely there will be consequences from it but getting rid of him is just ridiculous.

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 01:06 PM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/203621_103603076359009_2294781_q.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter)Adam Schefter (http://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter)
‎1/2 Merril Hoge said James Harrison called Ben Roethlisberger this morning to explain his comments in the upcoming issue of Men’s Journal.

What's to explain? Ben really didn't play well in the SB. But neither did Harrison. Either way, that stuff needs to stay in the locker room and out of the media.

Iron Steeler
07-13-2011, 01:17 PM
I think this is ridiculously stupid for harrisson to say all those comments
And I have to say I am really disappointed. First about goodell ya the boss is an ass, so what ? Shut your mouth, get on the field and let your performance do the talking. Second bashing Ben and rashard. This discuss me, to see a player to say that about any teamate on any team ,not acceptable. If he's not happy with the performance of our qb, let's see what happens if we trade him to the vikings, titans, panthers, or any other team with an unproven qb. Let's see how he likes it when the defense is on the field for 75% of the game. Third praising troy. If you have got so much praise for the man why not emulate him? Do you think that Troy would do anything like this?

Im sorry, ya goodell picked on you last year but this is just goin to make it worse. I hate so say this because I love how the guy plays, but if is going to continue to be a distraction I wouldn't not be upset if he were traded.

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 01:20 PM
You sound just like all of the Steeler "fans" last year who wanted to ship Ben out of town. If Mendy doesn't have a problem with what James said, then why do you? I don't personally condone what James said but he's got the right to speak his mind. Most likely there will be consequences from it but getting rid of him is just ridiculous.

If his play drops off at all, which is a very real possibility due to the back surgery (see Marvel Smith), these media tirades will definitely make it easier for the team to cut ties with him.

zulater
07-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Well I was never one of those that wanted to run Ben out of town.

But this is different, Harrison is going over the edge, you have the right not to agree with everything the league does, but calling Goodell out like this, showing a total lack of respect for authority makes him look like an idiot. The fact that he's practically begging the league to suspend him for every borderline hit must also be rubbing the Rooney's the wrong way, nothing like losing a key player for a big game because he can't keep his stupid fucking mouth shut. :doh:

Anyway once players start to call each other out to the press it's the beggining of the end for that particuliar team, cut the cancer early before it starts to spread and everyone joins in.

By the way I'll wager anyone here that Harrison will be an ex Steelers by the start of the 2012 season, if not before.

Any proposals of terms?

SteelerFanInStl
07-13-2011, 01:26 PM
If his play drops off at all, which is a very real possibility due to the back surgery (see Marvel Smith), these media tirades will definitely make it easier for the team to cut ties with him.

I agree with you but that would be because of his performance, not because of something he said.

zulater
07-13-2011, 01:26 PM
What's to explain? Ben really didn't play well in the SB. But neither did Harrison. Either way, that stuff needs to stay in the locker room and out of the media.

What's to explain? Really? How about the fact that as a teammate you don't throw another teammate under the bus, I think he needs to apoligize to Ben and Mendy ( whether Mendy will say so or not publicly aside) if he wants to continue to be part of this team.

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 01:28 PM
What's to explain? Really?

Well, as he already aired the dirty laundry in public, the damage has already been done, seems to me.

SteelerFanInStl
07-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Well I was never one of those that wanted to run Ben out of town.

But this is different, Harrison is going over the edge, you have the right not to agree with everything the league does, but calling Goodell out like this, showing a total lack of respect for authority makes him look like an idiot. The fact that he's practically begging the league to suspend him for every borderline hit must also be rubbing the Rooney's the wrong way, nothing like losing a key player for a big game because he can't keep his stupid fucking mouth shut. :doh:

Anyway once players start to call each other out to the press it's the beggining of the end for that particuliar team, cut the cancer early before it starts to spread and everyone joins in.

By the way I'll wager anyone here that Harrison will be an ex Steelers by the start of the 2012 season, if not before.

Any proposals of terms?

I don't like what he said any more than you do but I'm not going to run him out of town for it. I expect the Rooneys to handle this before the NFL does by either fining him or suspending him or both.

zulater
07-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, as he already aired the dirty laundry in public, the damage has already been done, seems to me.

So you can't see the need for a sincere apology? You don't think it could potentially help things out?

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 01:34 PM
So you can't see the need for a sincere apology? You don't think it could potentially help things out?

Maybe. However, the gesture seems disingenuous at this point. But that's just me.

zulater
07-13-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't like what he said any more than you do but I'm not going to run him out of town for it. I expect the Rooneys to handle this before the NFL does by either fining him or suspending him or both.

I'm not going to run him out of town either, I don't have that power. But the Rooney's do and at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they've had their fill of James. Do you really think they want this sort of negative attention?

Put it this way Harrison's play better not fall off even a little or he'll be gone faster than you can say Joey Porter.

Bluecoat96
07-13-2011, 01:39 PM
According to Schefter, it seems James already contacted Ben to clear things up. It's none of our business what he said specifically to Ben.

Carolina Steelers
07-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Maybe. However, the gesture seems disingenuous at this point. But that's just me.

I agree with this. Even thought I would like an apology from Harrsion or even Ward (even though they dont owe us one) would just be a PR move at this point. Ward was on his twitter account non-stop over the past couple of weeks now NOTHING since saturdays incident. Eventually Wards got to speak even if its just to say something we already know.

zulater
07-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Like I thought. end of story IMHO

Another misquoted athlete. Yeah, sure. :coffee:

Oh well at least he's making the effort, so I suppose it shows he wants to stay.

But I think he's in for a rough meeting with coach Tomlin before anyone can go saying "end of story."

zulater
07-13-2011, 01:44 PM
According to Schefter, it seems James already contacted Ben to clear things up. It's none of our business what he said specifically to Ben.

We'll see if the Rooney's see it that way. I predict they wont.

steeldevil
07-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I heard on the triblive radio thing that James will be on sportscenter at 6 to "clear up his comments"

I actually heard this at like 11 but I forgot to post it here. Ooopppsss.... :yield:

I assume its true....

zulater
07-13-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm glad I got my son the Heath Miller and Troy Polamalu official jerseys. At least with those two I know we wont ever have to

put the things up in mothballs. :chuckle:

tube517
07-13-2011, 01:56 PM

This will be all handled in house. I trust the front office and coaches to handle it. I expect Harrison to patch things up and move on.

I wish the season would just start.

steeldevil
07-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Actually now Harrison is not going to be on Sportscenter. I bet somehow the Rooneys got to him and told him not to....

Butch
07-13-2011, 02:10 PM
I for one am tired of all the Damn DRAMA!!!

I love James for his one man show against the rats during the 75th anniversary game and will never forget the longest play in Superbowl history!!! He will always have a place in my heart!!! I completely understand how he feels about the league, (I personally feel exactly the same way about Go To Hell Godel and his league henchmen!!!), but come on James and for that matter the rest of the Steelers as a whole let's cut this off season DRAMA out. This stuff is for teams called cryboys and bungles we don't need this SHIT. Hell come on here and create a ficticious name and post away if it makes you feel better just keep this crapolla out of the press!!! Get back to being the STEELERS!!!

Hines putting down the twittering is a great move, hopefully the rest will follow suit. I still gotta wonder if his texting is the real reason he may have been driving poorly.

I hope this team just goes back to being boring until the season starts and then let their play do the talking not their tweets and their off field comments.

We need the seaosn to start on time and get our team back on the field to play out all their aggressions!!!

steel striker
07-13-2011, 02:13 PM
I got no problem what James said about Goodell but, what he said about Ben & Mendy I have a big issue with that. Like it has been mentioned above. James you had one sack & one tackle hardly anything to hang your hat on. Face it man Rodgers picked us apart bottom line. I'm sure this will be handled once the lockout is over.

O'Malley
07-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Just because you know how to tweet doesn't mean you have to. Goodell is going to have a field day with James this coming season.

IUSteel
07-13-2011, 02:37 PM
A few things to be said.

First and slightly off topic, someone put it out as if Ward will be suspended. He wont, guilty or innocent the league nor the team have the right to suspend him as a first time offender. Nor will they want to.

Agreed. If he's suspended it's just leads to more inconsistent punishments.

Now as to Harrison. I wont be even a little bit surprised if he's played his last down as a Steeler, nor will I be dissapointed. I don't like or respect what he's said, and how's he's said it, and that includes what he's says about Goodell.

I think quite a few people feel this way about Goodell. I won't hate on a guy for saying pretty much exactly what I think. Was it tactful? Hell no. He may have realized they can't do jack to him right now, so he said what a lot of players have alluded to.

For one thing he's become the driving force of the ever growing contigent of Steeler players and fans who subscribe to the "league is out to get us" theory. They're not, and the continued insistence that they are is becoming embarrasing to me as a Steeler fan. We've became the Seahawk fans, the tin foil on my hat guy, the government invented aids idiots etc....

This is the biggest thing to me. Steelers are a team with integrity, and we don't stoop to this. The fines certainly seem to roll heavier on some teams than others, but you don't bitch about it. I do not want my team to be crybabies or to develop the same attitude as the Seahawks or any of these other teams that stress they've been screwed by the NFL.

It's coincidence, the league is trying to eliminate some of the head shots, the Steelers are among the harder hitting teams, ergo we've come to the same fork in the road at the same time, and neither wants to yield right of way.

I'm a conservative (I don't mean politically) in my approach to problem solving. The reaction last year was kneejerk, justified or not. As always, no one really looked beyond "Players get hit, get concussions, stop the hitting." For instance, did you know that most of the players in the NFL opted for a helmet with one of the lowest safety ratings? Or that the definition of concussions have been expanding (leading to it seemingly like we're getting a record amount of concussions ever year), or that we don't really know how severe a concussion has to be to cause permanent brain injury, etc. etc.

Harrison points out in that interview that a defender adjusts his hit on a player, the player getting hit adjusts to get hit, and then the defender doesn't have time to readjust to not hit him if he drops his head or puts himself in harm's way. Where do we draw the line on that? As Schlereth pointed out last year, do we start penalizing QBs who make the receivers go up and get the ball? Do we fine the receivers for going up and getting it in the first place? How about the RB that tries to squeeze through a hole the defender is on his way to plugging?

The kneejerk reaction was fine the defender, because that was the easiest solution to find (definitely not to implement). These hard hitters were made out to be assassins, and that's not really a fair take. It's absolutely hypocritical to try to quell all these hard-hitting teams and then push to expand the regular season to 18 games, which again, Harrison points out.

Harrison is a moron, he's just begging to be suspended for the next borderline hit, and I wouldn't blame the league one bit.

This would be the worst thing for the NFL to do. It's already stupid as hell that so many off-field things go into on-the-field calls. We all know Manning/Brees/Brady get touched it's roughing the passer, Ben, Flacco, McNabb, Favre can get manhandled and they're just tough QBs. Suspending him for speaking out would be an obvious retaliation. Which is stupid, especially since he doesn't work for them at the moment.

If the Steelers decide they've had enough of Harrison look for the Jets to be one of the few bidders( maybe the only), and look for them to lowball the Steelers with an offer 4th or 5th round pick.

I really doubt they get rid of him for anything other than performance issues. But who knows, the Holmes thing kinda threw me off too. Harrison's past outbursts haven't exactly been condemned by Tomlin or the Rooney's, though. The Steelers always seem to have a hard time trading anyone, because it's pretty obvious if we're willing to trade them we're probably going to cut them anyways.

st33lersguy
07-13-2011, 02:47 PM
His comments about Goodell Castro were funny and true

tube517
07-13-2011, 02:50 PM
If the Steelers decide they've had enough of Harrison look for the Jets to be one of the few bidders( maybe the only), and look for them to lowball the Steelers with an offer 4th or 5th round pick

Way too early for this kind of talk. He said stupid things about Ben and Mendy, he did not violate a drug policy or any conduct policy. He won't get traded or released for this.

stillers4me
07-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Well, from the looks of the picture in the article, this magazine got exactly what they wanted..push James' buttons, sell magazines and get megahits on their websites. Then everyone else jumps on the bandwagon to get megahits on their own websites. And personally, I don't trust the media on iota because what they print can come out completely differert than what was said. If you actually watched the interview when he said he didn't want to go to the White House, you can tell he was sick of being questioned about it and blew off the reporter with what was more a joke than anything else. Who knows how he actually said the comments about Ben and Mendenhall. But that magazine knew what it would sound like in print, and nobody knows that better than Ben.

I don't think the players are going to have an issue with any of it.....looks like he already contacted Ben. the only reason this is getting none stop coverage is because there's nothng better to talk about.

Don't lose your edge, James.

tube517
07-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Well, from the looks of the picture in the article, this magazine got exactly what they wanted..push James' buttons, sell magazines and get megahits on their websites. Then everyone else jumps on the bandwagon to get megahits on there own websites. And personally, I don't trust the media on iota because what the print can come out completely differert than what was said. If you actually watched the interview when he said he didn't want to go to the White House, you can tell he was sick of being questioned about it and blew off the reporter with what was more a joke than anything else. Who knows how he actually said the comments about Ben and Mendenhall. But that magazine knew what it would sound like in print, and nobody knows that better than Ben.

I don't think the players are going to have an issue with any of it.....looks like he already contacted Ben. the only reason this is getting none stop coverage is because there's nothng better to talk about.

Don't lose your edge, James.

:applaudit:

cakmakli
07-13-2011, 03:24 PM
It's kinda like getting picked on in school. You take all you can and when you can't take anymore, you lay the SOB upside the head with a Chemistry book. Well, the way he was consistanly screwed over last year I guess he had all he could take and decided to lay a chemistry book upside Goodell's head. Good for him for standing up for himself and not eating Goodell's crap.

As for what he said about Ben and Mendy, I don't have a problem with that. I'm sure he didn't say anything he hadn't already said to their faces so I'm sure they already knew how he felt.

Count Steeler
07-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Wow this thread is super hot. Can't believe it is 4 pages already.

James said some things he should not have. It is up to Tomlin and the Rooneys to get this ship sailing right after the lock out ends. However, I have a sinking feeling that we are not SB bound and even the playoffs may in jeopardy this year. Be a good season to let Taylor go and let these young CBs fight over a starting position. Hope Tomlin proves me wrong. If they get to the playoffs and make a run for the SB, Tomlin is coach of the year. Hands down.

SMR
07-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Silverback... you NEVER cease to amaze me!

steelerdude15
07-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Just keep things to yourself and let your playing do the talking.

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
07-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Think it's pretty classless and dumb what he said.

Granted, I think the criticism of Goddell perhaps is warranted, but name calling is pretty dumb.

He's not a very welcome guy at Kent btw, had some "problems" while on campus per a few of the professors and people in the AD I've met.

Browns fan, admitted bias. But, looking at it objectively, that's just flat out dumb/

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
07-13-2011, 04:09 PM

Exactly "let your pads do the talking".

stillers4me
07-13-2011, 04:17 PM

Apparently, they went HIM for the interview. Tha's how it usually works. They asked him questions (and from the looks of that picture, they went in with an agenda since I seriously doubt James went to the shoot with a couple of pistols tucked in his belt). They lead with questions, he answers. That's generally how interviews work. They knew exactly what buttons to push. Who knows what was edited. For all we know, James could have said, "Ben and I were joking around after the superbowl and he said....... and I said......." As far as Mendenhall, I haven't seen the exact quote, but he could have been talking about the time when Rashard was a rookie and they made him carry that football around because he was a "fumble machine".

I don't trust the media for one second, and I'm sure they didn't call up James Harrison to get a feel good article for their rag. I'm willing to give James the benefit of the doubt unless I was in the room to know what and how things were said.

And as far as what he said about Goodell, who gives a rat's ass. James is more worried about someone taking out his knees and ending his career based on the "new rules" for a kinder, gentler NFL.

tube517
07-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Apparently, they went HIM for the interview. Tha's how it usually works. They asked him questions (and from the looks of that picture, they went in with an agenda since I seriously doubt James went to the shoot with a couple of pistols tucked in his belt). They lead with questions, he answers. That's generally how interviews work. They knew exactly what buttons to push. Who knows what was edited. For all we know, James could have said, "Ben and I were joking around after the superbowl and he said....... and I said......." As far as Mendenhall, I haven't seen the exact quote, but he could have been talking about the time when Rashard was a rookie and they made him carry that football around because he was a "fumble machine".

I don't trust the media for one second, and I'm sure they didn't call up James Harrison to get a feel good article for their rag. I'm willing to give James the benefit of the doubt unless I was in the room to know what and how things were said.

And as far as what he said about Goodell, who gives a rat's ass. James is more worried about someone taking out his knees and ending his career based on the "new rules" for a kinder, gentler NFL.

I agree. And my belief is this is between Harrison and Ben and Harrison and Mendy. Tomlin and the Rooneys will have their say. But, this is an inhouse matter. For all our bellyaching and complaining, this will be forgotten when (if) the season starts. Revisit this thread after Harrison has a dominating game in the next season and ask again should he be traded or released or whatever else every one is mad about.

zulater
07-13-2011, 05:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6765621/nfl-james-harrison-reckless-words-dull-point

It is all bad, and it overshadows the fact that Harrison does have a valid criticism, shared by other players in the NFL, of how Goodell went about fining players for illegal hits last season. There are players like Harrison who think Goodell unfairly targeted African-American players and fined certain players more than others. There are players like Harrison who think Goodell issued harsher fines for illegal hits on white players than for hits on black players. And there are players like Harrison who think Goodell had it out for certain players.

Harrison is the perfect person to speak on this subject, because Goodell took $100,000 out of his pocket last season, fining Harrison more than any other player. But because of his inflammatory language, Harrison lost any opportunity to make his point about the fairness of Goodell's system or to try to persuade Goodell to change it. He ripped Goodell, which was not breaking news, but he did so by using an anti-gay slur to describe the commissioner.

Using an anti-gay slur is just as unacceptable as using a racial slur. You don't have to be in support of gay marriage, but you cannot be intolerant. Gay slurs are not slang. They are hurtful, and the use of them has to stop.

Harrison also called Goodell "stupid," a "puppet" and a "dictator," and said that, "If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it. I hate him and will never respect him."

Harrison can hate Goodell all he wants. He can think Goodell is out to get him, is unfair and is unjust, but he needs to show Goodell respect, just as he needs to show his head coach, Mike Tomlin, respect and his position coach respect and the person who makes his lunch in the Steelers' cafeteria respect.

Playing football under a six-year, $51.175 million contract does not mean Harrison isn't still an employee. He is. There are rules, and there are consequences for breaking those rules.

Harrison said that if the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, he was going to whisper in Goodell's ear during the trophy presentation: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?" Now that would have been classy, but Harrison did not get that opportunity. The Steelers did not win. Harrison did not take responsibility for losing the game, even though he had only one tackle the entire game, a sack of Aaron Rodgers where Rodgers essentially ran into him. He did not apologize for getting dominated most of the game by Packers tackle Chad Clifton.

Instead, Harrison ripped his quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, who did take responsibility for the loss after throwing two interceptions in the game.

"Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again," Harrison said of Roethlisberger. "Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does."

Harrison also called Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall a "fumble machine."

Rule No. 1 of being a good teammate is you do not publicly criticize a teammate -- ever. You keep that in house. Publicly throwing a teammate under the bus, particularly the quarterback, only serves to divide a locker room, and divided locker rooms do not produce championships.

This woman makes a lot of sense, of course it helps to take the homer glasses off before you read it to see that :chuckle:

siss
07-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Okay that picture really really bothers me. You know kids are going to see that and think thats cool.

I do think he basically said what most think about Goodell. Its totally uncalled for, but Im pretty sure, Goodell is about as popular as one of AJ's stink bombs is.

And once again one of Ben's teammates throws him under the bus and Ben has said nothing to warrant it.

I do wonder if the article and that picture would have been released if the lockout was in place. Im not sure what the Steelers PR staff approves or not, but I'm pretty sure that picture isn't one of them.

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Guess all these players need to be cut and subsequently banned from the league too, for not showing Goodell the "proper respect":

....While Goodell-bashing may be cathartic for players and fans, I don’t think it’s good for football. For all my criticism of the owners during this labor stare down, I’ve remained relatively positive about Goodell’s role – partly because I’m convinced he’s not driving the bus, and partly because I’ve spoken to the man and looked him in the eye and believe he sincerely wants a deal.

Yet I’ve had a very, very hard time finding a player who shares those views, and however this lockout and the accompanying legal maneuverings are resolved, I’m convinced that the commissioner will have a very real problem with the vast majority of the men who wear “The Shield” of which he speaks so reverently.

“A lot of the players hated him even before this went down, and now they really hate him,” one prominent player for an NFC East team told me last Friday. “He’s not smooth, charming or witty. He never seems honest when he talks to you. And he’s a dope. They should change his name to Roger Goon-dell.”

That’s one nickname you won’t see mentioned on a future NFL Network “Top 10” production.

I’d dismiss this player as an outlier – if I hadn’t heard similar opinions from so many others. Over the past few weeks, Goodell has been called a “joke” and a “fraud” by the Baltimore Ravens’ Derrick Mason and the Seattle Seahawks’ Chester Pitts, respectively, and I’ve heard plenty of unprintable insults from other players, too....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_players_hatred_for_goodell_grows_050411

zulater
07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Guess all these players need to be cut and subsequently banned from the league too, for not showing Goodell the "proper respect":

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_players_hatred_for_goodell_grows_050411

Don't care what they said if they're not Steelers, and what bother me more anyway is what he said about his own teammates. If Kris Kemoeatu had said the same things that Harrison did almost everyone here would be wanting him gone yesterday. So let's not be phonies, Harrison is an ass, but he's very talented and so the Steelers will probably keep him. But what he's done is indefensible, if a player from any other team had done the same to his franchise qb we'd all be on the NFL forum mocking that player and team.

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Don't care what they said if they're not Steelers, and what bother me more anyway is what he said about his own teammates. If Kris Kemoeatu had said the same things that Harrison did almost everyone here would be wanting him gone yesterday. So let's not be phonies, Harrison is an ass, but he's very talented and so the Steelers will probably keep him. But what he's done is indefensible, if a player from any other team had done the same to his franchise qb we'd all be on the NFL forum mocking that player and team.

Fail to see where I defended it. :noidea:

Exactly. Where was he when Rodgers was torching us?

zulater
07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Didn't specifically say you did fan, but many have and it's somewhat puzzling to me?

stillers4me
07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
James had not one but two back surgeries following the superbowl, for injuries he did not disclose to the team. That is the obvious cause of his lack of production in the superbowl, just like Troy's injuries were the cause of his. To both of their credits, neither of them are blaming the injuries. Both of them were on the field because they chose to play through their injuries. If we would have won that game, nobody would be doubting either of their commitments. ( I know nobody here is questioning Troy's play, but plenty in the media have).

Have I mentioned how much I hate the media?

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Didn't specifically say you did fan, but many have and it's somewhat puzzling to me?

What he said about his teammates did bother me, but as has been mentioned by others, I also have every faith that this will be handled internally by the team. :drink:

43Hitman
07-13-2011, 06:19 PM
James Harrison is acting like an idiot. I won't be surprised if he's released before his last year of his contract. What a jerk. You air your dirty laundry with teammates in private James, not through the media.

JayC
07-13-2011, 06:22 PM
i think blaming teammates for losing the super bowl was worse than anything santonio holmes did a year ago . i wouldn't be too shocked if harrison has played his last game as a steeler.

stillers4me
07-13-2011, 06:26 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/408421355/twitterProfilePhoto_normal.jpg
Steelersdepot (http://twitter.com/#!/Steelersdepot)Steelers Depot

Want to point out that Ray Lewis ripped Flacco & Rice for turnovers against Steelers, he just didn't call them by name.

oneforthetoe
07-13-2011, 06:28 PM

Want to point out that Ray Lewis ripped Flacco & Rice for turnovers against Steelers, he just didn't call them by name.

So, what you saying is that Ray Ray took a stab at his own teammates as well.

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry but I don't care what any other player does especially Ray Lewis.

stillers4me
07-13-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm sorry but I don't care what any other player does especially Ray Lewis.s

But Ray Ray didn't get crucified for it. Players say this stuff all the time, the only reason it's a big deal today is A) there's nothing else to talk about and B) anything Steelers (especially negative) means mega website hits.

If we were a loser team, no one would even care.

SteelerFanInStl
07-13-2011, 06:32 PM
i think blaming teammates for losing the super bowl was worse than anything santonio holmes did a year ago . i wouldn't be too shocked if harrison has played his last game as a steeler.

:huh: You must be reading something that I didn't because I don't see anything where he "blamed" anyone for losing the Super Bowl. You also have no idea what kind of context these comments were said in and that makes a BIG difference. He shouldn't have said what he did but I think that people are making a much bigger deal out of this than they should.

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 06:37 PM
But Ray Ray didn't get crucified for it. Players say this stuff all the time, the only reason it's a big deal today is A) there's nothing else to talk about and B) anything Steelers (especially negative) means mega website hits.

If we were a loser team, no one would even care.

But this is my team and i do care. Even the comments about Goodell. I dont care about media and other websites, i NADROJ 20 do not like it at all.

You can't honestly tell me that these comments are no big deal? He shouldn't have made them at all.

Edman
07-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Mr. Harrison.

If there is any, and I repeat ANY sign of letdown in his play this year, he's shut him himself off of the team after this year. Yes, James. We don't like Goodell either, but this whining is wearing thin, dude. Let it go.

X-Terminator
07-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Personally, I think Harrison simply said the things about Der Kommissar that most other players would not have the balls to say in public and put his name to it. As far as criticizing Ben and Mendenhall, that will be handled in-house. And I also agree with stillers that if this wasn't a Steeler or Harrison making these comments, nobody would give a shit. I didn't like the lack of professionalism, but at the same time, the writer of the story knew damn well what he was doing when he went to James for an interview. He knew he wears his emotions on his sleeve and will say exactly what's on his mind, and he turned it into a money-making article for him. Typical media, which is why I hate them so much.

stillers4me
07-13-2011, 06:47 PM
It be nice if he hadn't have taken the bait in the interview, but no, it won't mean a thing once the players hit the field. It's all about selling the rags and hits on the websites. Go to PFT....nothing gets more hits for that tool than negative Steelers press. If free agency had begun today, this wouldn't have gotten more than a few minutes...ok, 30 or 40 minutes total, amongst more important news.

This is nothing compared to Bengate.

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 06:47 PM
:huh: You must be reading something that I didn't because I don't see anything where he "blamed" anyone for losing the Super Bowl. You also have no idea what kind of context these comments were said in and that makes a BIG difference. He shouldn't have said what he did but I think that people are making a much bigger deal out of this than they should.

"Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does,"

Unless they actually changed the wording of this quote, I don't care what "context" this is used in, it isn't very good.

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 06:50 PM
So now we are blaming the media because they should have known he wears his emotions on his sleeve?

I hate the media too, but nobody forced him to say the things he said.

The same thing could be said about Harrison. He should have known the media that approached him for an interview would be asking questions that could possibly set him off. It can be looked at both ways.

SteelerFanInStl
07-13-2011, 06:51 PM
"Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does,"

Unless they actually changed the wording of this quote, I don't care what "context" this is used in, it isn't very good.

I can easily see it being said in a joking manner.

tube517
07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
But what he's done is indefensible, if a player from any other team had done the same to his franchise qb we'd all be on the NFL forum mocking that player and team.

I don't go on other team's forums or, for that matter, an NFL forum. So, don't include me in the "WE" part of your statement.

SteelerFanInStl
07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
So now we are blaming the media because they should have known he wears his emotions on his sleeve? How about him owning up to his actions and quit making excuses for him!

The same thing could be said about Harrison. He should have known the media that approached him for an interview would be asking questions that could possibly set him off. It can be looked at both ways.

It's not the fault of the media but they're all just looking to start controversy anymore. That's what sells. It just means that the players have to be more careful about what they say. Unfortunately that's not how James is. He always speaks his mind.

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
I can easily see it being said in a joking manner.

Then my question is ...why say it? What is the point its only going to cause trouble because nobody can sense sarcasm while reading it online.

Even in a joking manner, its inappropriate.

X-Terminator
07-13-2011, 06:56 PM
So now we are blaming the media because they should have known he wears his emotions on his sleeve?

No. Harrison said what he said and will now have to deal with the consequences. But I refuse to give the media a free pass, being the freaking vultures that they are. If you want to do that, though, go ahead.

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 06:56 PM
It's not the fault of the media but they're all just looking to start controversy anymore. That's what sells. It just means that the players have to be more careful about what they say. Unfortunately that's not how James is. He always speaks his mind.

Very very true. Like I said I hate the media too and I think they cause a lot of the problems and then act like they have nothing to do with it. It drives me crazy.

But as you said too players need to be careful and you would think he would have learned by now. Act like a professional and things will always be better for you I promise James.

stillers4me
07-13-2011, 06:57 PM

And you know what may have been edited out to get exactly the reaction the writer wanted?

I see alot of pictures on the internet in my search for articles. And I see plenty of Ben and James warming up together and joking around before the games. It leads me to believe they actually like each other.

I can actually see James saying this to Ben's face, slapping him across the head, and then turn around and walk away laughing. And for all we know, that's exactly the way it happened. But if you read it with the "angry james" context the writer blatantly wrote the article with, yeah, it looks bad. James actually does have a sense of humor....that is when you aren't stealing $100,000 out of his bank account.

I am not defending or condoning anything James did or said, just pointing out the media does this kind of stuff all the time and there is room to doubt the motive of the article.

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 06:57 PM
No. Harrison said what he said and will now have to deal with the consequences. But I refuse to give the media a free pass, being the freaking vultures that they are. If you want to do that, go ahead.

I'm not giving them a "free pass", but I refuse to put all the blame on them just because it invovles a player on my favorite team. I think he is just as much to blame because the words came out of HIS mouth. Nobody elses.

X-Terminator
07-13-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm not giving them a "free pass", but I refuse to put all the blame on them just because it invovles a player on my favorite team. I think he is just as much to blame because the words came out of HIS mouth. Nobody elses.

If you can point out to me where I placed all the blame on them, please do so. Because I believe I said I didn't like his lack of professionalism and that he will have to deal with the consequences of what he said. Again, I am just not going to excuse the media because we all know how they are. They are bloodsuckers who will twist anything if it means ratings and hits.

Nadroj 20
And you know what may have been edited out to get exactly the reaction the writer wanted?

I see alot of pictures on the internet in my search for articles. And I see plenty of Ben and James warming up together and joking around before the games. It leads me to believe they actually like each other.

I can actually see James saying this to Ben's face, slapping him across the head, and then turn around and walk away laughing. And for all we know, that's exactly the way it happened. But if you read it with the "angry james" context the writer tries to give, yeah, it looks bad. James actually does have a sense of humor....that is when you aren't stealing $100,000 out of his bank account.

I am not defending or condoning anything James did or said, just pointing out the media does this kind of stuff all the time and there is room to doubt the motive of the article.

I can't say I disagree with you. But like I said even in a joking manner as a professional athlete, just like you and I know, you can't let the media twist your words around and create bad stuff.

This is exactly why it is required to speak to the media after game. They want to try to catch you at a bad time to get a juicy story. They just need to be careful is all i am saying.

zulater

A couple differences here.

First off what Ray Ray said was in the heat of the moment, right after the game was over. What James said came months after the game.

Second Flacco has never advanced a team to the Super bowl, let alone win one, so even though I don't think what Lewis said was wise, at least there's some validity to the thought he's part of the problem. Ben on the other hand has led a team on a game winning drive in the Super Bowl, bit of a difference wouldn't you say?

stillers4me

There's a reason why they didn't call Troy for the interview.

Iron Steeler
IM just so disappointed in this whole thing. Its pretty hard to defend him as a Steeler fan right now.

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 07:03 PM
If you can point out to me where I placed all the blame on them, please do so. Because I believe I said I didn't like his lack of professionalism and that he will have to deal with the consequences of what he said. Again, I am just not going to excuse the media because we all know how they are. They are bloodsuckers who will twist anything if it means ratings and hits.

Woah Woah Woah. A perfect example of how words can be put into someones mouth :chuckle:

Just because I said that in my post didn't mean I was directing it to you, it was just part of my general response/ comment. I'm not stupid, you clearly did not do that.

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 07:05 PM
There's a reason why they didn't call Troy for the interview.

Exactly because he is smart and a professional. James needs to learn from Troy

stillers4me
07-13-2011, 07:06 PM
And in other news, police in yet another state have misjudged Adam Jomes. :heh:

zulater
07-13-2011, 07:09 PM
I think you people are kidding yourselves if you think Dan and Art Rooney, Kevin Colbert, and Mike Tomlin are just shrugging this one off.

HometownGal
07-13-2011, 07:10 PM
No. Harrison said what he said and will now have to deal with the consequences. But I refuse to give the media a free pass, being the freaking vultures that they are.

Agreed, While James should have exercised better judgment and kept his yap shut, those media vampire bats knew exactly which buttons of his to push.

zulater
07-13-2011, 07:11 PM
IM just so disappointed in this whole thing. Its pretty hard to defend him as a Steeler fan right now.

Thank you. I was beggining to lose faith in my fellow Steeler fans.

Aussie_steeler
07-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Men's Journal contributing editor Paul Solotaroff talks about his interview with James Harrison.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/41573/video-inside-the-james-harrison-interview

More Quotes from the article

http://deadspin.com/5820867/james-harrison-probably-hates-you-too-more-quotes-from-the-mens-journal-article?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+deadspin%2Fexcerpts+%28Deadsp in+excerpts%29

On the Patriots, just after his comments about their alleged cheating:

"I hate those motherfuckers, especially those two clowns [Rodney Harrison and Teddy Bruschi] who talked about me after the fines. ... Sayin' I'm dirty — shit, Harrison was the dirtiest player ever, a steroid cheater who was known by the whole world to be a headhunter and late hitter. And Bruschi's an idiot, straight-up simple. I'd like to meet them both in a dark alley."

stillers4me
07-13-2011, 07:13 PM
I think you people are kidding yourselves if you think Dan and Art Rooney, Kevin Colbert, and Mike Tomlin are just shrugging this one off.

They'll talk to him. But all this talk of suspension or fines is a result of a whole new generation of football fans brainwashed by "Goodell-onomics". And being cut? Fat chance.

SteelerFanInStl
07-13-2011, 07:13 PM

I've read this whole thread and no one has said any such thing.

Iron Steeler
07-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Thank you. I was beggining to lose faith in my fellow Steeler fans.

Correct me if im wrong Zu, is that a Knock against me because im not supporting Harrison.

Or are you agreeing with me?

86WARD
07-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Harrison's a fucking bonehead. Another example of an athlete opening his mouth and not using the small brain that he has. Moron.

zulater
07-13-2011, 07:15 PM
They'll talk to him. But all this talk of suspension or fines is a result of a whole new generation of football fans brainwashed by "Goodell-onomics". And being cut? Fat chance.

Tell that to Joey Porter. Do I need to remind you that he made a couple Pro bowls after the Steelers released him?

HometownGal
07-13-2011, 07:16 PM
While Harrison criticized some of his teammates, he had high praise for Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

"He's the one guy in football I respect absolutely, 'cause he's spiritual and lives it like he talks it. You know, he gets more flags than anyone on our team but never gets fined for nothin'. He's so polite and talks so softly that he could tell Goodell to kiss his a--, and Goodell would smile and say thank you," he told the magazine.

Whelp - he does have a point there. :lol: :lol:

zulater
Correct me if im wrong Zu, is that a Knock against me because im not supporting Harrison.

Or are you agreeing with me?

I'm very much in agreement with you.

stillers4me
"alleged cheating"? :doh:

oneforthetoe
07-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Good article by Mike Sando (which is a surprise)

The harsh words from Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison regarding NFL commissioner Roger Goodell qualify as more than simply another hard hit from one of the league's most physical defenders.

By calling Goodell a "crook" and a "devil" in comments to Men's Journal, Harrison was also highlighting the work that awaits Goodell once a new labor agreement is in place.

more: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/40404/foreshadowing-james-harrisons-goodell-rant

zulater
07-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Men's Journal contributing editor Paul Solotaroff talks about his interview with James Harrison.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/41573/video-inside-the-james-harrison-interview

More Quotes from the article

http://deadspin.com/5820867/james-harrison-probably-hates-you-too-more-quotes-from-the-mens-journal-article?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+deadspin%2Fexcerpts+%28Deadsp in+excerpts%29

[/INDENT]

Well at least there's one thing that I agree with James on anyway. :chuckle:

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 07:18 PM
So who's ready for the freaking ESPY's? :chuckle:

X-Terminator
07-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Woah Woah Woah. A perfect example of how words can be put into someones mouth :chuckle:

Just because I said that in my post didn't mean I was directing it to you, it was just part of my general response/ comment. I'm not stupid, you clearly did not do that.

Well then, looks like we have an example of how someone can take words out of context. :wink02:

My bad, man.

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Well then, looks like we have an example of how someone can take words out of context. :wink02:

My bad, man.

Absolutely no problem X-T :thumbsup:

Just wanted to make that clear because for the most part, we are in agreement on this situation.

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Got a good chuckle from this comment at the end of the article Aussie posted:

And, finally, for all his tough talk, it looks like Harrison is already starting to backpedal.

If you're smart you'll keep your eye on him. He's probably just backing up to get a longer run at you.:chuckle:

steeldevil
07-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Damn theres been 2 pages of replies in a very short time... Touchy subject??? :heh:

oneforthetoe
07-13-2011, 07:24 PM
So who's ready for the freaking ESPY's? :chuckle:

New categories this year.

Best twitter feud.

Most outrageous slam against Roger Goodell.

And best metro-sexual -Justin bieber look ... oh wait we know who is going to win that one.

http://cdn.theblemish.com/images/2010/10/tom-brady-bieber-105x105.jpg

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 07:25 PM

best twitter fued.

And best metro-sexual -Justin bieber look ... oh wait we know who is going to win that one.

Oh Oh Oh! Derek Anderson vs the fan on the best twitter feud! :chuckle:

Iron Steeler
07-13-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm very much in agreement with you.

Thanks brotha...

Ya for everyone else in this thread right now , take a step back and look at ourselves. We have some at a disagreement and arguing with each other over one mans comments to the media. Now imagine how the players in the locker room are going to take it if these rants continue.

Ask yourselves this as steeler fans.... What is your definition of the Steeler Way? and does this nonsense Harrison spewed to the media apply to that definition?

(dont worry Hines im disappointed at you to)

HometownGal
07-13-2011, 07:31 PM

Best twitter feud.

ROFLMAO!!!! :lol: :rofl: :lol:

zulater
07-13-2011, 07:35 PM

Best twitter feud.

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/ready_for_the_erin_andrews_vs_michelle_beadle_cat_ fight/4756223

If they're looking for a real ratings grabber what would be better than an Erin andrews vs. Michelle Beadle cat fight? :nod::smoker:

X-Terminator
07-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Well, Bieber threatened to sue him for copyright infringement...does he still qualify? :heh:

Thanks brotha...

Ya for everyone else in this thread right now , take a step back and look at ourselves. We have some at a disagreement and arguing with each other over one mans comments to the media. Now imagine how the players in the locker room are going to take it if these rants continue.

Ask yourselves this as steeler fans.... What is your definition of the Steeler Way? and does this nonsense Harrison spewed to the media apply to that definition?

(dont worry Hines im disappointed at you to)

The "Steeler Way" is to keep your mouth shut, nose clean and play hard. But I also understand that people are human, and sometimes being human gets you into trouble. In other words, nobody is perfect...except Troy.

HometownGal
Thanks brotha...

(dont worry Hines im disappointed at you to)Well as everyone knows around here, I speak my mind and in the workplace, I spoke my mind as well but the difference is that I did so respectfully and knew when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. I was also perceptive enough to know when I was being baited, something James obviously didn't pick up on. :doh:

stillers4me

From my experience, the fans think more about all this crap than the players do. They don't even know what's going on half the time.

Nadroj 20
07-13-2011, 07:38 PM
ROFLMAO!!!! :lol: :rofl: :lol:

Bieber is actually on ESPN right now. Or Brady? I can't tell.....

zulater
07-13-2011, 07:40 PM
From my experience, the fans think more about all this crap than the players do. They don't even know what's going on half the time.

I think a locker room can get divided in a hurry from shit like this if you're not carefull. As soon as anyone in the locker room starts pointing their finger at anyone besides themselves it's a bad thing.

stillers4me
07-13-2011, 07:45 PM
I think a locker room can get divided in a hurry from shit like this if you're not carefull. As soon as anyone in the locker room starts pointing their finger at anyone besides themselves it's a bad thing.

Honestly, I don't believe that for a second. They are grown men, not a bunch of junior high school girls. Hines has said things about Ben, but who was the one that walked Ben down to training camp and had his back the first time Ben had to face the fans last year? They'll all be fine. If we don't win the superbowl this year, this will have had nothing to do with it. Promise. :chuckle:

Iron Steeler
07-13-2011, 07:48 PM

I gotta disagree with you in a sense. No we The fans dont know whats going on half the time. ALTHOUGH, in the new Media blast age we live in today I feel like fans know a lot more then they used too. with Twitter/TMZ/Facebook/ESPN.. etc.. Its hard to hide your true colors as a celebrity athlete.

As for the players, Its hard for me to think that the players dont appreciate playing for Pittsburgh.

Shoes
07-13-2011, 07:50 PM
He sure took the heat off of Hines :chuckle:

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 07:51 PM
He sure took the heat off of Hines :chuckle:

That he did. :lol:

zulater
07-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Honestly, I don't believe that for a second. They are grown men, not a bunch of junior high school girls. Hines has said things about Ben, but who was the one that walked Ben down to training camp and had his back the first time Ben had to face the fans last year? They'll all be fine. If we don't win the superbowl this year, this will have had nothing to do with it. Promise. :chuckle:

I see it with teams that underperform all the time, internal sniping. Also one of the things players hate most is being asked questions about shit like this. Not saying the Steelers can't or wont overcome it, but it will resonate in the locker room, they're human and it does make a difference.

Iron Steeler
07-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Well, Bieber threatened to sue him for copyright infringement...does he still qualify? :heh:

The "Steeler Way" is to keep your mouth shut, nose clean and play hard. But I also understand that people are human, and sometimes being human gets you into trouble. In other words, nobody is perfect...except Troy.

haha

stillers4me
07-13-2011, 08:02 PM
I see it with teams that underperform all the time, internal sniping. Also one of the things players hate most is being asked questions about shit like this. Not saying the Steelers can't or wont overcome it, but it will resonate in the locker room, they're human and it does make a difference.

While I agree to a point, most of those underperforming teams don't have the kind of leadership we do.

Steelers fans worry too much.

Iron Steeler
07-13-2011, 08:10 PM

The Coaching staff and Rooneys have to nip this in the butt. Right away... Imagine this... lets say that Harrison said all of this during the fines he accumulated last year and contemplated quitting. If he were to walk into Tomlins office with all that being said , contemplating about quitting, I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin and the Rooneys would of said "See Ya!"

steelerfan
07-13-2011, 08:32 PM
I've read all the posts here. And I can't believe that no one here is offended or disgusted with James using a Anti-Gay slur. I mean if a white player refered to a Black person who was the Commish as the " N " Word, you think this would be no big deal ?...Hell Lock out or no lock out, that player would already be cut from his team. As it goes to James comments about Ben and Mendy, it was Ignorant. But if Ben and Mendy can say that there is no problem with they and James then fine by me. It was wrong to publically toss them under the Bus yes. But what worries me more is how easily James can throw out racial rants and Gay slurs like it's no big deal. That right there is suspension worthy to me. James will, and needs to be suspended by the Rooney's for at least 4 games. Or they have no credibility at all.

stillers4me
07-13-2011, 08:35 PM
James will, and needs to be suspended by the Rooney's for at least 4 games. Or they have no credibility at all.

I think the players union, when it exists again, would have something to say about that. Owners just can't suspend players willy nilly like fans think they can.

Steelerone67
07-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Had to come back to say wtf is going on in steeler world I'm getting dissapointed and enraged.

Count Steeler
07-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Harrison is a veteran, he is a leader on the defense, he has been around long enough to know better. In the locker room, he can stand up to Mendy and Ben and get in their face as much as he wants. Outside the locker room, we are one team. We win together, we lose together. NEVER air your dirty laundry in public. I hope this doesn't affect the season, but... we shall see.

Bluecoat96
07-13-2011, 08:53 PM
I hope this doesn't affect the season, but... we shall see.

I really doubt it will have any impact on the season. If the Steelers can pull through and almost win the Superbowl after an offseason like last year's, and the ridiculous crap with all the fines, etc. from the actual season, then they'll be just fine. I truly believe it. One trashy article won't change that. By the way, I'm willing to bet this is the EXACT reaction from the fans and overzealous media pricks that Men's Journal was going for. They're about to make a shit-ton of money.

fansince'76
07-13-2011, 08:58 PM
By the way, I'm willing to bet this is the EXACT reaction from the fans and overzealous media pricks that Men's Journal was going for. They're about to make a shit-ton of money.

Yep. I'll bet the issue with Harrison's interview will be their best-selling issue this year by a long shot.

SteelerFanInStl
07-13-2011, 09:19 PM
I really doubt it will have any impact on the season. If the Steelers can pull through and almost win the Superbowl after an offseason like last year's, and the ridiculous crap with all the fines, etc. from the actual season, then they'll be just fine. I truly believe it. One trashy article won't change that. By the way, I'm willing to bet this is the EXACT reaction from the fans and overzealous media pricks that Men's Journal was going for. They're about to make a shit-ton of money.

I agree. This is nothing compared to the media frenzy of last season.

SteelerEmpire
07-14-2011, 12:16 AM
I love Harrisons candor and non-sugar coated manner of expressing himself . . . when it comes to everyone except his teammates.

That crap he said about Ben and Mendy is divisive, unprofessional and just plain wrong to do in a public forum. Openly criticizing anyone on your team (especially as sharply as Harrison did) - does not support team unity, diminishes team trust and really just makes him an ass. As James is an elder statesman on my beloved team - I can only hope that he isn't teaching the younger players that this was a good idea.

Probably the ONLY way James can get out of this with his teammates (Ben and Mendy at the minimum) is to make some kind of public apology... I'm almost certain not too many of them are thinking highly of Harrison right now... Don't know how tight James is wrapped, but when he declined to take that trip to see the President of the United States (when everybody else on the team did) ... kind of made me go: hmmmmm ???

KATK9
07-14-2011, 03:32 AM
That old saying comes to mind "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all". The target that was on his back is now as big as the video screen at the Cowboys Stadium. No where to run to, no where to hide. :behindsofa: He thought Goodell rode him last year, he haven't seen anything yet, the best is yet to come. :bananadoggywow:

PalmerSteel
07-14-2011, 06:16 AM
well, so much for a quiet offseason. its been too many years since we have had a quiet one. too many years since there hasnt been negative BS against the steelers that could have been avoided if the players just use their noggin a little bit more.

86WARD
07-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Not to mention that everything he said about Ben and Mendenhall are incorrrect. Mendenhall fumbled 3 times last season. Hardly a machine.

Ben has 2 Super Bowl Rings to Peyton's one and Peyton threw a Pick 6 in the fourth quarter versus the Saints.

Interceptions in own territory - 2010. Manning - 12; Roethlisberger - 3

He couldn't have made a less educated and more ignorant comment unless he spoke about pissing on Goodell. Then maybe.

Lambert_Loonie
07-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Was it a good idea to call out is teammates in a public forum? No.
Was it a good idea to rip the Comissioner to the degree that he did? No.
Was it a good idea to use a gay slur in our ultra-PC culture? No.

That being said... I don't think I can be a bigger fan of James Harrison than I am right now after all this. You can call him stupid or thoughtless, I say James Harrison is FEARLESS. He truly does not. Give. A. F***. Hell, the guy nabbed a RATTLESNAKE and tossed it like Andrew McCutcheon would toss a baseball to the cutoff man after a ground ball was hit to him.

Now sure, there will be consequences for what he said. I'm sure once the season starts and action is taken by the league or the Rooney's I won't be happy about it. But y'know what? It is damn refreshing to hear from soneone who's so raw and so blunt when it seems like every other athlete in every other sport is so white-washed, dry of personality and afraid to draw attention to themselves for what they say.

suitanim
07-14-2011, 08:34 AM
One ancillary effect of this will be INCREDIBLE interest in the Steelers this year. Prime-time game ratings will be off the charts.

Unfortunately, we'll have pissed off so many people the already giant target on our backs will only be magnified that much more...

Steeldude
07-14-2011, 11:59 AM
i love the gay remark...lol. that was perfect. it's great seeing the PC liberals wetting their diapers over it.

zulater
07-14-2011, 01:11 PM
i love the gay remark...lol. that was perfect. it's great seeing the PC liberals wetting their diapers over it.

Yeah it's going to be real wonderfull if that's the opening that Goodell will use to suspend him for the opening game against the Ravens.

" I was willing to ignore the personal slurs against me, but being as he used a hate slur against gays I had no choice but to suspend Mr Harrison."

oneforthetoe
07-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Yeah it's going to be real wonderfull if that's the opening that Goodell will use to suspend him for the opening game against the Ravens.

" I was willing to ignore the personal slurs on me, but being as he used a hate slur against gays I had no choice but to suspend Mr Harrison."

Don't know about a suspension, but i bet it brings a fine.

zulater
07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Don't know about a suspension, but i bet it brings a fine.

I wouldn't rule a suspension out, it could even be a team imposed one instead of the league.

zulater
07-14-2011, 01:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/13/jerome-bettis-disappointed-in-james-harrison/

Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis has weighed in on Steelers linebacker James Harrison’s inflammatory magazine interview, saying that Harrison needs to be a better teammate.

Harrison told Men’s Journal that Ben Roethlisberger is no Peyton Manning, and that Rashard Mendenhall fumbles too much. Bettis says the last thing the Steelers need is for defensive players to call out the offense.

“It’s disappointing to hear some of the comments he made about his teammates because this is a team game,” Bettis said in comments aired on NFL Network. “It’s not an offense against defense type situation. It’s a team and you’ve got to go out there and compete as a team.”

Bettis, who played with Harrison from 2002 to 2005, says that he wishes Harrison would have talked to Roethlisberger and Mendenhall privately if he had something to say about them.

“If there are some issues and some uncomfortable feelings, I think that’s when you air it internally,” Bettis said. “I don’t think it’s something you bring it out in the setting, in the format that he did. So I was a little disappointed in that.”

86WARD
07-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Harrison evidently spewed a lot more venom the writer and said some much worse things in regards to Ben that the guy didnt publish.

He also told James to say whatever he needed to say to Ben...he wouldn't mind...

steelerdude15
07-14-2011, 02:12 PM
James needs to be more careful with what he's saying.

st33lersguy
07-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Calling out his teammates was probably worse than anything J-Peezy ever said

86WARD
07-14-2011, 02:45 PM
In James' case it's not so much freedom if speech so much as freedom to be an idiot with your mouth.

The new improved forgiving Ben took the high road. That's a start. Let's see what happens in the locker room face to face. That's a little different than doing it over the phone.

zulater
07-14-2011, 03:13 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820c4c4c/article/lack-of-direct-teamplayer-contact-at-heart-of-offseason-issues?module=HP_spotlight

Harrison went off on NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, along with his teammates, in the interview, and it made him look bad -- so bad that the linebacker had to speak out and claim his words were taken out of context and he was misquoted. Whether or not that's true, the situation could have been avoided.

Had the lockout not been in place, a Steelers employee would have been in on the interview with Harrison to guard against any damaging questions and make sure he didn't shoot himself in the foot. That's the job of the public-relations department -- to protect the players, coaches and executives to make sure they aren't misquoted or taken out of context.

Harrison's comments were a huge mistake. It's one thing for him to think all the things he said, but it's another to say them to the world.

When Vince Lombardi took over the Green Bay Packers in 1959, he hung up a sign in the locker room to serve as a daily reminder when players left the building. The sign read, "What you see here, what you say here, let it stay here when you leave here." That advice was given to the players some 52 years ago, long before the advent of Twitter or NFL Network.

Harrison still might have said these words had there been no lockout, but at least he would have been reminded before he spoke of the damages he would cause his team, his teammates and most of all himself. When the season begins and Harrison is making plays on the field, announcers will refer back to his stupid quotes. Instead of being known for his outstanding play, Harrison will be known for talking without thinking.

Mike Lombardi says, blame it on the lockout.

suitanim
07-14-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry, but somehow, some way, somewhere, there will be repercussions....and they will all be negative.

zulater
07-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm sorry, but somehow, some way, somewhere, there will be repercussions....and they will all be negative.

I agree.

Bluecoat96
07-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Harrison evidently spewed a lot more venom the writer and said some much worse things in regards to Ben that the guy didnt publish.

He also told James to say whatever he needed to say to Ben...he wouldn't mind...

Here's the thing though....the reporter said that he had to leave out a lot of stuff that James said about Ben. He never said it was "venom" James had for Ben per say, so who knows the reality of it. I sat and listened to the reporter on ESPN for a good bit of the day. It could just as easily have been mostly decent things James said. He's (the reporter) just trying to sell more magazines by giving ambiguous answers to news reporters.

steeldawg
07-14-2011, 04:01 PM
This guy has got to be kidding me!!! Grow up james and quit acting like a hurt little school girl. First, where was harrison during the SB when rogers was just sitting back torching our secondary at will. Second, I dont care how much a person disagrees with the higher ups in their company, there are ways that adult professionals voice their opinions. I used to think harrison was just a hard nose tough guy but after reading him ripping his teammates,making gay slurs, and ranting about race, i realize that he really is just an idiot.

steeldawg
07-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Wow!! Just Wow!!! :thumbdown: :no:

SteelGhost
07-14-2011, 04:46 PM
At this point EVERYBODY knows GooDHell is ..... Why to say it that way James ? Why criticize your teammates in public ? By the way I disagree on the "fumbling machine" stuff about Rashard.

Both are big NO NO's for a Pro Athlete IMHO.

tube517
07-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Calling out his teammates was probably worse than anything J-Peezy ever said

J-Peezy called them out the right way, in the locker room, not in print/public.

zulater
07-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Here's the thing though....the reporter said that he had to leave out a lot of stuff that James said about Ben. He never said it was "venom" James had for Ben per say, so who knows the reality of it. I sat and listened to the reporter on ESPN for a good bit of the day. It could just as easily have been mostly decent things James said. He's (the reporter) just trying to sell more magazines by giving ambiguous answers to news reporters.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/07/solotaroff-says-he-left-more-harrison-comments-about-roethlisberger-on-cutting-room-floor/

Fraid not.

Look I think the writer is probably a scumbag using James to gain notoriety, I mean his comments about no one on the defense particuarly liking Ben is ill informed and misleading. As we all know at the very least Ben and Keisel are close friends. I also think any difference that Ben and Farrior had in the past is history and truly believe most of the team has at least come to respect Ben as one of the games better quarterbacks.

That said it's probably true that Harrison isn't a fan of Ben. That's his right, but if the coaching staff gets the idea that Harrison is out trying to poison the well and stir up negative vibes with his teammates against Ben, then he's gotta go!

Like it or not Ben has a hellava lot more influence on the Steelers overall success than James Harrison ever thought of having.

Bluecoat96
07-14-2011, 08:01 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/07/solotaroff-says-he-left-more-harrison-comments-about-roethlisberger-on-cutting-room-floor/

Fraid not.

Look I think the writer is probably a scumbag using James to gain notoriety, I mean his comments about no one on the defense particuarly liking Ben is ill informed and misleading. As we all know at the very least Ben and Keisel are close friends. I also think any difference that Ben and Farrior had in the past is history and truly believe most of the team has at least come to respect Ben as one of the games better quarterbacks.

That said it's probably true that Harrison isn't a fan of Ben. That's his right, but if the coaching staff gets the idea that Harrison is out trying to poison the well and stir up negative vibes with his teammates against Ben, then he's gotta go!

Like it or not Ben has a hellava lot more influence on the Steelers overall success than James Harrison ever thought of having.

You have some good points, but I'm still inherently suspicious of the reporter's comments. This article say that Solotaroff "infers" he left damaging comments James said about Ben on the cutting room floor. I guess I'll be the eternal optimist and give Mr. Harrison the benefit of the doubt until the reporter comes out with specific evidence to the contrary. Let's look at what Solotaroff actually said.

Papa asked about the misquoted angle floating around and Solotaroff replied, "Well you know, there as been a little bucking and wheeling in the last 24 hours regarding the crack about Roethlisberger, but let’s get clear about that, first of all, I've got way more about Roethlisberger on the cutting room floor here. Better stuff than what I ran. Sorry, but I tend to call bullshit....unless he's saving it for another issue or when all this crap blows over in a few weeks so he can make his employers even more money. Otherwise, the "stuff" he supposedly has from Harrison really isn't anything, or it's just James rehashing old stuff from last year about Ben and the seemingly overall disdain that many of the teammates had for Ben. My thoughts are that he should just not be a puss and should come out with the supposed "juicy" info. Maybe he's afraid of a libel/defamation lawsuit. Who knows? I think he doesn't really have shit.

Second of all, there isn't a single Steeler on that defense that has a poster of Big Ben on his bedroom wall if you know what I'm saying. There is a real schism on that team, I suspect, from the guys I've talked to on that defense, between offense and D in Pittsburgh and you know, it’s probably not that different from locker-rooms around the NFL, where the defense thinks every rule in this game is tilted against us. Every fine, you know, as James points out he is been knocked out repeatedly by crack back blocks, not one of those guys has ever been fined a penny.”This sounds like absolute speculation without any real knowledge whatsoever of what the other defensive teammate think.

I appreciate debating with you Zu. It's refreshing to argue different points of view without name-calling and other stupid stuff.

Cheers!:alcohol: