PDA

View Full Version : Fan dies after fall at Rangers Ballpark

polamalubeast
07-08-2011, 10:05 AM
ARLINGTON -- A man died from injuries sustained when he fell approximately 20 feet from section 5 in the left field lower reserved seats to the area behind the out-of-town scoreboard at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington on Thursday night.

The fan was identified as Shannon Stone, a 39-year-old firefighter from Brownwood, Texas, according to The Associated Press.

The tragedy occurred in the second inning of the Rangers' 6-0 victory over the Athletics.

"As an organization, our team members and our staff, we are very heavy hearted about this," Rangers president Nolan Ryan said in addressing the media after the game. "Our thoughts and our prayers go out to the family. Our thoughts are with them."

The fan fell headfirst in the second inning while leaning over the front-row railing trying to catch a ball that had been tossed into the stands by left fielder Josh Hamilton. Athletics outfielder Conor Jackson had hit a foul ball that caromed out to Hamilton in left.

As most Major League players do, Hamilton flipped the potential souvenir into the stands. The fan reached over the railing, caught the ball and then fell headfirst into the opening behind the scoreboard.

Ronnie Hargis told the Dallas Morning News that he was sitting next to the man who fell.

"He went straight down," Hargis said. "I tried to grab him, but I couldn't. I tried to slow him down a little bit."

Another fan, David Dodson, told the Morning News that the man lost his balance as the ball hit his hand.

"It looked awful because you knew there was no way he was going to land on his feet," Dodson said.

read more

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110707&content_id=21564000&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

very sad,RIP

SteelerSal
07-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Wow...pretty sad. I'm surprised this hasn't happened more often 9thank God) to where they made it safer for fans.

"When they had him on a stretcher and they were carrying him out, he was saying stuff like 'Please check on my son, he's left up there by himself.'" Athletics reliever Brad Ziegler said. "The people that carried him out reassured him that, 'We'll get your son, we'll make sure he's OK.' We just kind of assumed that he's talking, he's conscious, he'll be OK. To find out he's not is just ... tough."

Prayers out to his family.

venom
07-08-2011, 10:46 AM
So sad . Poor kid seeing his dad die in front of him. May him rest in peace

X-Terminator
07-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Sad indeed. RIP.

HometownGal
07-08-2011, 11:46 AM
This is very sad and like Sal - I'm shocked this hasn't happened more. God Bless him that in all of the pain he had to be in, his first thought was for his boy. :rip: sir.

SteelCityMan786
07-08-2011, 12:25 PM
This is sad. For the kid it has to be sad to see the moment that ultimately would lead to his father's death. Hopefully he doesn't suffer any mental issues from this. Stuff like that is scary. RIP.

Hopefully all ballparks start looking at their safety standards to prevent another incident like this.

Carolina Steelers
07-08-2011, 01:37 PM
I saw the video once, which was once too many very sad to hear about this never expect this when you go to a ball park but like others have stated im a little surprised it hasnt happened more often. you always see fans reaching for foul balls or homeruns its like 2nd nature. wonder if fans now will have 2nd thoughts before reaching for ball. I hate to say but i dont think so. May he RIP, and my prayers go out to his family and his little boy.

SteelerSal
07-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I saw the video once, which was once too many very sad to hear about this never expect this when you go to a ball park but like others have stated im a little surprised it hasnt happened more often. you always see fans reaching for foul balls or homeruns its like 2nd nature. wonder if fans now will have 2nd thoughts before reaching for ball. I hate to say but i dont think so. May he RIP, and my prayers go out to his family and his little boy.

You have to know that the guy was trying to catch the ball for his son....tragic.

Devilsdancefloor
07-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Very tragic, prayers and thoughts for his family

steelerdude15
07-09-2011, 01:31 AM
So sad. Rest in peace.

Galax Steeler
07-09-2011, 04:56 AM
Thoughts and prayers for his family.

Count Steeler
07-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Very, very sad. Prayers for the son, and the family.

Nadroj 20
07-09-2011, 10:24 AM
This is so sad and terrible. A fun day at the ballpark turned to tragedy so quickly. and while he was being carted to the squad the only thing in his mind was that is little boy was ok. sounds like a very good man and may he rest in peace.

You also have to feel for the player, Josh Hamilton, who threw the ball to him. He is pretty torn up about it, even though it wasn't his fault it was a complete accident.

The WH
07-15-2011, 06:23 AM
I am surprised that with this and with the idiot at the all-star game almost falling to his death too, that there isn't a liberal outcry for nets or hight fences or something.

SteelerSal
07-15-2011, 06:35 AM
I am surprised that with this and with the idiot at the all-star game almost falling to his death too, that there isn't a liberal outcry for nets or hight fences or something.

I agree..I wonder if stadium owners are liable and can/ or ever have been sued because of injury or death.

steelpride12
07-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Because it's a "watch or sit in those seats at your own risk" kind of deal. Those people take their chances to reach for a ball, and of course the drunks dancing right by the edges as well. People just need to be careful and know their boundaries.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-15-2011, 09:09 AM
After all these accidents the league is working on new rules and more safety measures to help prevent this going forward. You will probably see that players can't throw balls in the stands at a certain level and netting/barriers going up in a lot of stadiums..