PDA

View Full Version : Assessing the Steelers Backup Quarterback Options

SteelerSal
07-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Assessing the Steelers Backup Quarterback Options

by Michael Bean on Jul 6, 2011

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1546138/69482_Panthers_Steelers_Football.jpg
10 months ago: Pittsburgh Steelers quarterbacks, from left to right, Ben Roethlisberger (7), Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon, and Charlie Batch, right rear, warm up before an NFL preseason football game against the Carolina Panthers in Pittsburgh, Thursday, Sept. 2, 2010. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

At this time last year, Steeler Nation was engaged in a healthy debate about the competition for the starting quarterback job while Ben Roethlisberger served a four-game suspension to start the season. Many hoped Dennis Dixon would win the competition during training camp and the preseason; others argued for the more experienced Byron Leftwich, who rose to the occasion and delivered a much-needed win for the Steelers during his lone significant appearance during the 2008 season. Ivan Cole even made the case for Charlie Batch before the calendar turned to September, a prescient perspective it turned out, though not one most had given much thought to.Turns out we got to see all three in action before Roethlisberger's returned to face the Cleveland Browns in Week 6 after the team's bye week.

Fast forward to this year. With the lockout in place for over four months, we still didn't really even find it all that important to talk about the quarterback situation despite having all the time in the world to speculate about backup position battles. read more.... (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/7/6/2261833/nfl-lockout-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-dennis-dixon-charlie-batch-leftwich)

86WARD
07-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Leftwich, Dixon.

suitanim
07-06-2011, 09:13 AM
It's Dixon's time. He's had multiple years in our system. If he can't beat out old-timey Byron Leftwich, we need to trade him or cut him.

86WARD
07-06-2011, 09:37 AM
I was actually excited to see Dixon get reps last season while Ben was out.

I have to agree with you. It is Dixons time. He should be beyond the "short-term" answer and into the "long-term" guy by now.

SteelerSal
07-06-2011, 09:42 AM
It's Dixon's time. He's had multiple years in our system. If he can't beat out old-timey Byron Leftwich, we need to trade him or cut him.

Dixon has kinda shown me from the few chances he had to play with a "simplified" playbook that he has had a hard time learning the playbook....

The Duke
07-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Trade Dixon for a 7th

some team will bite

HometownGal
07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
I'd go with Lefty as the backup with Dixon behind him and cut Charlie (sorry) and find a place for him on the coaching staff.

tube517
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Tee Martin and Rich Campbell

SteelerEmpire
07-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Dixon should be ready this season if called upon as he's had plenty enough time to contemplate. I'm just worried about his confidence when he throws a pass...

Psycho Ward 86
07-06-2011, 12:34 PM
but will we be able to hang onto Dixon?

Chidi29
07-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Hate to say it but Dixon is worthless. He showed us nothing last year. He's had plenty of time to sit and learn. I'm not asking him to be Ben but he wasn't even close to competent last year.

The Duke
07-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Hate to say it but Dixon is worthless. He showed us nothing last year. He's had plenty of time to sit and learn. I'm not asking him to be Ben but he wasn't even close to competent last year.

make him run a 40 and throw a few bombs in TC and preseason

I'm sure we could convince al davis to give up a 7th

Chidi29
07-06-2011, 01:45 PM
make him run a 40 and throw a few bombs in TC and preseason

I'm sure we could convince al davis to give up a 7th

I don't think even the Crypt Keeper would take Dixon.

Count Steeler
07-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Dixon for McNabb! Straight up. :chuckle:

O'Malley
07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Dixon for Tim Tebow........... WTF am I saying...... never mind.

ALLD
07-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Leftwich and Batch. Dixon and Sweed had their shots, but were not effective.

KeiselPower99
07-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Ill take Leftwich and Batch. Dixons gonna be a FA when the lockout lifts. There was also a rumor back in late April early May that Pat Devlin the QB from Delaware was on our list of guys to sign as he turned down the UFL.

HometownGal
07-10-2011, 07:34 PM

As a QB, no more worthless than Botch. While Charlie is a very intelligent player, his QB skills leave and have always left a lot to be desired imho. Plus - Dixon is a lot of years younger than Botch. I'd much rather see him on the coaching staff.

The Duke
07-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Ill take Leftwich and Batch. Dixons gonna be a FA when the lockout lifts. There was also a rumor back in late April early May that Pat Devlin the QB from Delaware was on our list of guys to sign as he turned down the UFL.

I'd take Devlin for sure

but I think he'll be the first, or among the first, qbs signed by QB needy teams. Think bills and redskins

but I'd love him here as the #3

Godfather
07-10-2011, 08:46 PM
JaMarcus Russell is available. I bet Tomlin could get him to do what he's supposed to do. Plus he can play O-line when Ben and Lefty are healthy. :)

86WARD
07-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Lol...Batch, talent-wise, isn't in the same league as Dixon. It's not even close.

Steeldude
07-12-2011, 08:23 AM
let dixon go ASAP. a wasted pick.

Craic
07-12-2011, 05:40 PM
As a QB, no more worthless than Botch. While Charlie is a very intelligent player, his QB skills leave and have always left a lot to be desired imho. Plus - Dixon is a lot of years younger than Botch. I'd much rather see him on the coaching staff.

Once again, I'm in complete agreement with you. Batch has been a big help for Ben when it comes to understanding how to interact with the line, change his perception among them and vice-versa, etc, and also be a coach. However, he needs to retire to become a coach. We would be stupid to keep him. As you said, Dixon is young and can grow into the game. Lefty is more than capable as a back up. Batch is odd man out.