PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Joseph?

steel striker
07-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Would he be an option if we can't re-sign Ike? I know he plays for the bungals but, he is pretty young.

BigNastyDefense
07-05-2011, 09:16 PM
If the Steelers won't put out the money to keep Ike, then they won't sign JJ.

Bluecoat96
07-06-2011, 06:03 AM
It'll be interesting to see what they do. Keep in mind that along with doing a long term contract with Woodley and maybe Ike, Troy's contract is up pretty soon as well, along with Timmons. Even with the salary cap possibly going up, I would think that Ike could very well be a cap casualty.

86WARD
07-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Wouldn't mind the both of them...lol.

X-Terminator
07-06-2011, 07:53 AM

Why not? Joseph is younger, is at least as good a cover guy and can actually catch the ball. If they're going to spend money, I'd rather them spend it on him rather than Asomugha or anyone else if they don't re-sign Ike.

suitanim
07-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Read the article in the other thread about re-signing Ike. Why would he NOT pay him and then pay somebody else less proven in our system the same or more? Rogers is probably the downgrade option if we can't ink Ike.

Psycho Ward 86
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM

they might, he's still young, had a pro-bowl year 2 years ago, but an awful year last year which should drop his value down.

The Duke
07-06-2011, 10:51 AM
they might, he's still young, had a pro-bowl year 2 years ago, but an awful year last year which should drop his value down.

It could drop, but I don't think it would drop that far to the steelers range

With teams like the lions, seahawks and texans looking for CB help one of them will use a lot of money for joseph if they fail to grab Asomugha. And the steelers won't match that money

It'd be nice though. He is younger than Ike and could be in our system for long, but I don't see it happening

HometownGal
07-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Sure - if he is disinfected from head to toe several times before he sets foot in Pittsburgh. :heh:

I'm kind of in agreement with the others - if we can't pony up the money to sign Ike, we aren't going to do so with JJ.

suitanim
07-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Speaking of Bungleland, Cincinnati is the worst city in the US for...................

....................bedbugs!

Yuck! A full 18% of homes in Shitcinnati have bedbugs.

Count Steeler
07-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Sure - if he is disinfected from head to toe several times before he sets foot in Pittsburgh. :heh:

I'm kind of in agreement with the others - if we can't pony up the money to sign Ike, we aren't going to do so with JJ.

Steelers should start a ritual of dunking all new players into the Three Rivers. Get them fully Pittsburghed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
I'd take him. Not likely that he ends up with the Steelers, but you never know.

If the Steelers can sign Ike, then they likely get a guy ranked in the 2nd tier of CB's like Rogers or Marshall. Be interesting to see what Champ Bailey's value is.

GBMelBlount
07-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Speaking of Bungleland, Cincinnati is the worst city in the US for...................

What!

So there is a 1 in 5 chance that Sue's home has.....oh, forget it....

:behindsofa:

BigNastyDefense
07-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Why not? Joseph is younger, is at least as good a cover guy and can actually catch the ball. If they're going to spend money, I'd rather them spend it on him rather than Asomugha or anyone else if they don't re-sign Ike.

Because that's not how the Steelers operate. They will dole out the big dollars in FA to resign their own players, but they rarely ever make a big splash signing. They won't pay JJ more money than what they are going to offer Ike Taylor.

Now if JJ would lake less money than being offered by other teams to play in Pittsburgh and win some rings, then I can see JJ coming here. But I think that he's going to either resign with Shitzinnati (which has been reported is what he prefers to do), or sign for big dollars somewhere else (Houston, Detroit, etc.).

O'Malley
07-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Dirty ass Bungles

TMC
07-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I think a lot of people may be shocked when the new cap amount comes out and we see how little room the Steelers actually have. They handed Woodley $10M and may have to remove some salaries to get him under the new cap.

The idea of actually chasing TWO corners in free agency borders on absurd. The cap does not look to be over $130M and with Woodley's guaranteed salary, he should put them in the mid-120s or higher.

You really think you can squeeze two FA corners in there and still fill the depth on this team?

st33lersguy
07-07-2011, 12:30 PM
They should try to sign someone if they can't resign Ike, we can't bank on Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen having a great rookie year and we certainly can't rely on what we have now other than Ike

suitanim
07-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I think a lot of people may be shocked when the new cap amount comes out and we see how little room the Steelers actually have. They handed Woodley $10M and may have to remove some salaries to get him under the new cap.

The idea of actually chasing TWO corners in free agency borders on absurd. The cap does not look to be over $130M and with Woodley's guaranteed salary, he should put them in the mid-120s or higher.

You really think you can squeeze two FA corners in there and still fill the depth on this team?

Do you think we can afford two tier-two guys if we do NOT sign Ike? Because, although I'm not super happy with B-Mac, it's at least status quo with him and Taylor at the CB spots. Without him, Gay and McFadden is a recipe for disaster, and even B-Mac and a tier-two guy is a downgrade, IMO...but MAYBE two FA's mixed in with all the youth and B-Mac????

TMC
07-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Do you think we can afford two tier-two guys if we do NOT sign Ike? Because, although I'm not super happy with B-Mac, it's at least status quo with him and Taylor at the CB spots. Without him, Gay and McFadden is a recipe for disaster, and even B-Mac and a tier-two guy is a downgrade, IMO...but MAYBE two FA's mixed in with all the youth and B-Mac????

That is hard to answer until the salary cap number is released and you find out where the Steelers sit. How will past dead money count? None of the salary cap sites are completely up to date now because, well, there has not been a salary cap. The best I can figure, the Steelers will sit near $125M to this new cap WITH the Woodley deal. That also does not include the 5 restricted free agents they tendered and how they fit depending on the new CBA. They tendered Colon ($2.7M), but if the CBA reverts to 4 seasons accrued, he cannot be restricted (Gay and Sepulveda also fall into this loophole). The two that should remain restricted are Tony Hills and Dennis Dixon, both at $1.2M this season. So, that pushes the cap back in the range of $127.5M.

That makes it tight to sign one, much less two. They would have to immediately look to create wiggle room. They could cut Flozell Adams and save $5M, but would probably tack on a season or two and turn his $5M into a bonus, creating a couple million. Larry Foote is a $2.4M salary and could save close to $2M if released, but that means you are without Fox and Foote. Byron Leftwich could be released to save $1.75M. Troy Polamalu is in his final season with a salary of $6.4M. An extension could open some space and get him upfront cash and more years. ARE could save close to $2M if he is released. Aaron Smith has a salary of $4.5M. You could extend him and maybe reduce his salary, like they did with Ward and Farrior. And, if you could strike a long-term deal with Woodley and get his number down, that could help.

The problem is, it takes time to make those restructuring moves, so you can only focus on your immediate cuts. I just do not see enough room to dish out the cash for two mid-range guys because they will get between $5M-$8M a season. The price is simply too steep and the dropoff from a guy like Ike to a mid-range player (price, not talent) is not worth it.

I personally think Crezdon Butler will show something. He played at Clemson and I am an S. Carolina alumni, so I watched him make more plays than I care to talk about. He can ball, just has a natural feel for reading QBs and getting where he needs to be. I am hoping McFadden can regain some confidence and up his play. If they cannot ink Ike, the Steelers may be in deep doo-doo.