PDA

View Full Version : Now Everybody Wants to Move Colon to Guard

stillers4me
07-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Hey all, hope everyone’s having a fancy summer. Thanks to Gretz, Steelers Lounge hasn’t completely shuttered its doors, but things have been pretty slow. Hopefully, the owners and players are close to working out the details on a new CBA and we can all get back to the business of worrying about crap grown men have no business worrying about.

Like, say, the Steelers offensive line.

Depending on your perspective, that unit is somewhere between adequate and awful. By September, some combination of Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Foster, Legursky, Adams and Gilbert will make up the five fat bodies tasked with protecting Big Ben and opening running lanes for Tiki (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/06/tiki-barbertosteelers-talk/). (That’s a joke. I think.)

And whatever form free agency takes could mean the return of Jonathan Scott, who last season proved to be way more important than anybody expected. What’s less likely to happen, at least to hear his agent tell it, is Willie Colon’s return to Pittsburgh. I’m not sure how to feel about it. Partly because I never bought into the “He’s one of the best right tackles in the league!” hype after the 2009 season. But also because, like almost every other Steelers fan, I thought Colon would make a great guard. It’s just that, until earlier this offseason, I was under the impression that neither Colon nor the team thought of him as anything other than a tackle.............

read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/06/move-colon-guard/#more-5818

HometownGal
07-05-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm on that "move Colon to guard" wagon IF he remains a Steeler. :noidea:

SMR
07-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Wouldn't hurt to give it a chance.

The Duke
07-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Agree

I could easily see Arizona give him a try there to replace Faneca though. If he can come back from his injury I have no doubt the man can do it

Just hope it's with us

Austin87
07-05-2011, 10:49 AM
A O-line consisting of Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Colon and Adams can be solid.

Chidi29
07-05-2011, 11:45 AM
It's not a coincidence that he may be moved to guard after tearing his Achilles Tendon. If that's the case and it's because the injury has taken a lot away from him, let him walk.

86WARD
07-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Wouldn't mind that move is the price was right.

Iron Steeler
07-05-2011, 06:31 PM

I agree with this comment

Iron Steeler
07-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Whats the word on Gilbert? Any Florida fans in here. Is this guy a potential starter or just a back up?

GBMelBlount
07-05-2011, 07:02 PM
After recently watching an episode of "The voice" and seeing his striking resemblance to the guy who sits next to Christina Aguilera, I have admittedly not been so keen on him...

Just sayin.

GBMelBlount
07-05-2011, 07:09 PM
It's not a coincidence that he may be moved to guard after tearing his Achilles Tendon. If that's the case and it's because the injury has taken a lot away from him, let him walk.

If the possibility of being moved to guard could be viewed as being a result of his not fully healing from his injury, isn't it also possible they could propose the move for the specific purpose of increasing the perceived risk in the eyes of many other teams...

SteelGhost
07-05-2011, 07:11 PM

I agree Chidi, it's hard to recover from those injuries.

Iron Steeler
07-05-2011, 07:23 PM
After recently watching an episode of "The voice" and seeing his striking resemblance to the guy who sits next to Christina Aguilera, I have admittedly not been so keen on him...

Just sayin.

hahaha are you talkin about Gilbert?

Chidi29
07-05-2011, 07:41 PM
If the possibility of being moved to guard could be viewed as being a result of his not fully healing from his injury, isn't it also possible they could propose the move for the specific purpose of increasing the perceived risk in the eyes of many other teams...

It's possible but it's not like he's a big-market item like he was before the injury. Teams are already thinking it's risky because of the injury that actually happened; they don't need any perceived risk conjured up by the team.

Fact of the matter is this is one of the most serious injuries in the game and one of the toughest to recover from. From this article.

http://www.lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Utilizing data publicly available on the Internet, one retrospective review identified 31 Achilles tendon ruptures in NFL players over a five-year period (5.2 injuries/year).3 During the 2008-2009 NFL season, six players suffered season-ending Achilles tendon ruptures. Although the incidence of Achilles rupture is low, 0.93% per NFL game, nearly 36% of affected players never return to playing at the NFL level.3

Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

The article does talk about methods of rehab to combat those figures but it's a scary injury. Colon is damaged goods and my expectations aren't very high on him anymore. Which is unfortunate because I did think he was a top five RT two years ago.

steelreserve
07-06-2011, 02:25 AM
I don't really give a shit. We barely missed him last year. I mean, we did get lucky with Adams and will need another RT pretty soon if Colon's not back, but last season really showed it's not the end of the world.

Much as I hate to say it, I'm far more worried about what happens if we lose Starks and some idiot names Scott has to try and fill in again.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-06-2011, 06:13 PM
As much as I am not sure what Marcus Gilbert can bring, he can play RT, So can Adams, Jon Scott, Chris Scott. If Colon is healthy and can play RG, great. More likely we dont see him re signed.

steelreserve
07-06-2011, 11:14 PM
As much as I am not sure what Marcus Gilbert can bring, he can play RT, So can Adams, Jon Scott, Chris Scott.

You really think Jon Scott is a reliable option at either tackle? Because I'm about as comfortable with him there as I'd be going on vacation for a month and hiring Casey Anthony to babysit my daughter.

steeldevil
07-07-2011, 01:37 PM
If he can recover from the injury and will sign for the right price,then sure, try him at RG. Adams will be the RT this year and then when he likely retires after this seasonthen hopefully Gilbert will be ready to start at RT if thats where the coaches want him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-07-2011, 11:44 PM
You really think Jon Scott is a reliable option at either tackle? Because I'm about as comfortable with him there as I'd be going on vacation for a month and hiring Casey Anthony to babysit my daughter.

Yeah, I do. I think he at least can start at RT and has showed he can play LT well enough to get to the super bowl last season, although I think the Defense again makes up for some lack of offensive efficiency.

I like Jon Scott better than Trai Essex or ummm Tony Hills. Did I ever mention that we could have drafted Carl Nicks instead of Tony Hills???

steelreserve
07-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I do. I think he at least can start at RT and has showed he can play LT well enough to get to the super bowl last season, although I think the Defense again makes up for some lack of offensive efficiency.

I like Jon Scott better than Trai Essex or ummm Tony Hills. Did I ever mention that we could have drafted Carl Nicks instead of Tony Hills???

Well, Hills I agree with. That guy turned out to be a worthless POS. Essex, I don't know. I'm not thrilled with him, but seriously, Scott was getting his ass handed to him every time I turned around. I don't think it's possible to be much more inconsistent than he was and still keep your job.