PDA

View Full Version : Le Tour de France

SCSTILLER
07-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Stage 1 and 2 of the the 2011 Le Tour de France in the books. Pretty excting first two days. Day one some good crashes, one spectator caused, in the final 20K. The one crash involved defending champion Alberto Contador. Exciting finish, cannot remember who one off the top of my head. Day two was the team TT, and Garmin-Cervelo put a whooping down on the rest of the teams (really only beat team Sky by one second). The win put Thor Hushvoldin the Yellow Jersey.

Standing: http://tourdefrance.nbcsports.com/standings/

As for the overall contenders, Alberto Contador better eat some more tainted meat if he is going to make a comeback from being down 1m42s to the yellow jersey (for those of you who watch cycling you will get the tainted meat jab). Alot of contenders in the mix with both the Schlek brothers of Leopard-Trek and Bradley Wiggins of Team Sky only 4 seconds back, and Levi Leipheimer and Chris Horner of Radioshack only 10 seconds back. Plus, Cadel Evans of BMC is only one second back, and a serious contender in the early stages to win overall. Wiggins, Leipheimer, and Horner are all decent climbers, but nowhere near the type of climbers that the Schleks and also Evans are. Contador is always a threat, but he needs a few miracles to make up that amount of time this year.

I would really like to see big George Hincapie wear yellow just one day this tour, and the way his team is riding it is possible. He has done so much for the cycling community here in South Carolina and routinely shows up at club rides and charity events, just an all around good guy and great rider. I am routing for Cadel and Andy, either of them I would like to see win it all. Plus, would like to see Christian VandeVelde of Cervelo make it through the whole tour without incident after his recent history in the grand tours. He did finish fourth a year ago, has a strong team around him, and if he manages to stay upright he could contend also for a podium finish. I really hope Contador has a crappy tour, he is an arrogant prick that needs a good backyard beating.

SCSTILLER
07-05-2011, 05:03 PM
I guess all the old cycling fans from the past haven't been on in awhile. Not much has changed since last post. Thor Hushvold is still in yellow with the closest GC contender, Evans, only one second back. Hushvold rode and incredible ride today to hold onto the yellow as the course did not suit his strengths. Evans barely beat Contador (prick) across the line for what I thought I heard the announcers say was his first ever tour victory, but that can't be right. I have to look that up. All the contenders for the podium are in good position except for Contador (1m42s back) and VandeVelde (1m45s back?). Cannot wait for the mountains!

Aussie_steeler
07-23-2011, 07:16 PM
SCSTILER - thanks for this thread. It has been very tempting for me and I have had to try really hard to resist posting. Tried not to be the kiss of death for Cadel Evans but the last three stages were sensational.

Voeckler showed great courage to hold onto yellow for that long

Thor Hushod was a revelation in the mountains with stage wins

Contador stood up and showed loads of courage, as did Sammy Sanchez

France found a new sensation in the white jersey winner, Pierre Rolland

The Schlecks with the most superior team just couldnt cut it when it counted - the time trial

But in the end Cadel Evans showed the true grit, determination and desire to beat the field. Yes at times it was the field as over the last few days he did all the work whilst the others let him hopefully exhaust himself out. The mechanical disaster on the Alp d'huez stage was a real scare but what courage did he show to lose not time to all his rivals.

The time trial was just AWESOME to watch. I am one proud aussie today

This is one of the greatest Australian sporting achievements of all time. In our sporting history it is that big. ( that really puts into perspective Lance Armstrong and his achievements)

I am not a bandwagoner here. True Aussie sporting enthusiasts have been following Cadel for the past 6 -7 years with the dream of him one day winning the tour. In order for us to follow the Tour we get TV coverage at 10pm that goes through to 3am. The last three weeks have been a long tiresome slog for us TDF fans

With pioneers such as Phil Anderson, Brad Magee, Robbiw McEwen, Baden Cooke this sporting achievement has been on our nations " Sporting Holy Grail to do list"

Cant wait for the Champs elysees stage. Bring it on.

SCSTILLER
07-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Aussie, it is definitely a proud day for, well, you Aussie's. I thoroughly enjoyed this years tour as it was anyone's game for awhile. I really enjoyed watching Voekler ride his heart and soul out to try and hold onto yellow. I would have like to have seen him on the podium today, but it wasn't meant to be. I have to say that I enjoyed watching Contador have a miserable tour. I think the mental aspect of the doping scandal hanging over his head had alot to do with it, plus trying to ride with both the Schleks and Evans, all the while having a weak team, just proved too much. Then the Schleks, man I like them two, they are such a dangerous one-two punch. It looked like Frank wasn't really working, but I beleive he was there to counter any moves that were made against Andy. I really want to see Andy in yellow next year, but to do that he better improve on his TT skills. Onto your boy Cadel, what a gutsy ride. I really think that he knew going into the ITT that he was going to be wearing yellow in Paris. He rode a gutsy ride, taking control of the peloton in the mountains when he needed to limit his losses against his foes. That look he gave Andy when Contado was away and Andy wanted to work with him was priceless, you could just tell he said "yeah right!" Then the blazing speed in which he rode the ITT was phenomenal, it was great to see him step on the podium. He was greatful, and he is going to be a gracious champion. Going to be hard for him to defend next year, but if BMC keeps their team intact he can definitely do it. Enjoy it Aussie, I am having a pint for your champion as I type this. The Americans may have found a hidden gem in Tommy Danielsson. This guy came out of nowhere and hung with the big boys in the mountains for a top ten finish. Granted he counter the attacks made in the mountains, but I beleive that with a little more work, and with having rode the tour and gaining confidence, he may compete next year for a podium.

On a side note, I am looking forward to the U.S. Procycling challenge in August. It will be on Colorado and is going to have some serious mountain stages in the Rocky Mountains. Supposedly, it is going to have the highest mountaintop stage finish in the history of procycling (not 100% certain on that, just thought I heard Liggett say that). Problem is that it is the same time as the Veulta Espana, so who knows how many big names will show.

When the other tours come on I will start a thread if you want me to, would be nice to talk cycling to some peeeps on here. Last year had alot of people posting about the tour, but I don't know if they are all here or not. Enjoy the yellow jersey victory coming to Australia, couldn't happen to a better man and cyclist.

Aussie_steeler
07-25-2011, 04:29 AM
Looking forward to hopefully seeing the first ever Australian team at the tour next year. Australia really has fallen in love with cycling over the past 15 years on the back of some of our pioneers.The future looks good for the next generation of aussie cyclists due to the increased profile and associated injection of much needed funds.

As with most countries the drugs scandals really hit hard with many of our big named track cyclists falling foul. Our olympic track cycling record has been pretty impressive over the last 20 years but we have always fallen short on the road.

This win is going to create a huge buzz amongst the younger generation.

I am not sure where Cadel heads from here. I wouldnt be surprised to see him retire on top of the world. However with George Hincappie coming back for his record breaking 17th and last tour Cadel might come back for that. ( they both have one year left with BMC). Most Aussies would love to see him lead the new Aussie team for 2012 but I dont see it happening.

I am not a diehard cycling fan but I will watch the occasional event if broadcasted. Keep an eye out in the future for a young gun from downunder by the name Jack Bobridge. He is our next big thing if he handles the switch from track to road.

SCSTILLER
07-27-2011, 04:49 PM
For not being a die hard cycling fan you are pretty knowledgeable. I was always a casual fan, then I took up cycling and got picked up by a local racing club and my interest really took off. I actually started to completely understand most of the tactics and why they were doing it and gained a great appreciation for bike racing.

The Americans have been hit hard by doping also. You will always have rumors of Lance doping, and anyone who ever rode on his team gets suspected. Then you have Tyler Hamilton (2X) and Floyd Landis who had his TDF stripped from him (was watching that 8 minute comeback with a cycling friend and he called it saying that day Landis was doping).

I will keep my eye out for Bobridge. Keep an eye on TJ VanGaarden, he is going to be our future star. Looking forward to more races.

SCSTILLER
07-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, the 2013 Tour De France is upon us. Been a sprinters duel so far with Le Tour starting off on the islands. I haven't been able to follow it that much but I am now gong to be able to watch it almost ever day from here on out. Looking forward to seeing what Cadel and BMC does, and how the potential drama with TJ Van Gaarderen (sp?) plays out. I think TJ is stronger at this point, but Cadel is a previous tour winner. Contador has an extremely tough team, and Sky is a precarious team because even though they aren't returning the defending champion due to injury they still have the strongest team and the strongest climber in Chris Froome.

Where ya at Aussie. I need someone to BS Le Tour with!

Spike
07-05-2013, 01:12 AM
Totally boring 2013 Le Tour so far - the biggest highlight was the bus getting stuck under the finish line!

nobody cares about the sprinters and the no-names

Mountains are coming up

Bring back doping!

we want to see exciting mountaintop finishes!

Spike
07-05-2013, 04:10 PM
the one American with a chance - crashed out

U.S. rider Christian Vande Velde out of Tour de France

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/07/05/christian-vande-velde-out-of-tour-de-france/2492247/

SCSTILLER
07-05-2013, 08:44 PM
the one American with a chance - crashed out

U.S. rider Christian Vande Velde out of Tour de France

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/07/05/christian-vande-velde-out-of-tour-de-france/2492247/

Nope, CVV is a has been. CVV is a great cyclist still, but he is nowhere near the one US cyclist that can win the tour or stand on the podium. That honor goes to Tejay van Garderen of team BMC. Finished fifth in last years tour, and that was on a BMC team that was defending the reigning champion Cadel Evans. TJ even passed Cadel Evans on the individual time trial. This kid has it all, he can climb like a home sick angel, time trial like he stole something, and handle a bike like it is part of his anatomy.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/05/19/tejay-van-garderen-tour-of-california-champion/2325027/

Every Tour starts out like this, boring at first with a few moments of sprinting excitement. Kind of like my sex life, lol. Looking forward to the mountains, especially the stage where they have to go up L'alp de Huez twice in one day (that is just down right evil). But being a cycling enthusiast I still appreciate these "boring" stages as they give the underdogs and unknowns a chance to compete for the Yellow Jersey.

Spike
07-06-2013, 12:12 AM
You're right - I forgot about Teejay....barely been paying attention this year

He's still just Cadel Evans' mule though - team orders and all that

we'll see if they let him loose this year

Pyrenees and a mountaintop finish next - finally

The no-name from South Africa will lose his yellow - bummer - I liked his song

Spike
07-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Teejay and Cadel both cracked on the first climb of the first mountain stage - they're done, Teejay is over 12 min back now

Contador and Schleck need some more dope too- they was huffing and puffing like steam engines when they cracked

Froome - the South African turned Britainer blew them all away - better do double piss tests on him

His Aussie teammate Porte made a nice climb too and is in 2nd all alone

fansince'76
07-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Froome - the South African turned Britainer blew them all away - better do double piss tests on him

Or maybe they'll strip him of the title 20 years down the road when they finally develop a test that detects whatever it is he's using now and they decide to retroactively test his sample after they dig it out of the giant freezer they apparently keep everyone's urine samples in until the end of time.

Wait, he's not an American...never mind. :rolleyes:

SCSTILLER
07-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Sorry, I cannot comment on yesterdays stages as my buddy asked him to go out on his boat for the afternoon. Boat, beer, beaches, babes, I couldn't pass it up.

Anyways, todays stage was awesome. Dan Martin from Garmin broke away in the last climb, was caught up to by the guy from Astana Motors, and the two of them held off the chase from the GC guys to pull off the win. Granted Dan Martin won, but the fact that Fuglsang caught up to him and helped him to the finish was impressive. Great break way and great stage finish.

Personally, I didn't think that there was going to be a breakaway today that would succeed. Reason being that most riders would be extremely tired after four killer climbs today and would not risk anything, but Garmin's manager decided to play his cards and send Martin on a break. Great tactical strategy for the team win.

Spike
07-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Froome showed he was class of the field by taking on all the attacks alone. His team better keep up.

you missed your boys crack?

BMC collapses again

When plan B collapsed before plan A, BMC’s Tour unravelled in just a few short minutes on Stage 8.

Col de Pailheres was the first major climb of the 2013 Tour.

By its summit, with team leader Cadel Evans isolated and struggling and his deputy Tejay van Garderen several minutes off the pace, BMC had effectively relinquished any hopes of repeating its 2011 victory.

Things went backwards from there.

By the time Evans finished the stage at Ax 3 Domaines, having lost four minutes to Chris Froome on the Category 1 climb, the ink was practically dry on BMC’s letter of surrender.

The original strategy of riding for Cadel Evans, with Tejay van Garderen as back-up should Cadel not prove up to it, was shredded by the pace of Team Sky and Nairo Quintana.

Sometimes you have to credit your opposition, but Evans himself admitted that the problem lay within his own team bus:

“When you’re in the running for GC, seven kilometres isn’t normally a climb that you should get dropped on… when you see 20 guys riding away from you, you know you’re a long way off the pace.”

In truth, Evans’ teammates had let him down badly, failing to even make the top of the first climb.

The high budget, so-called super team had crumpled under the slightest pressure, a solid 50 kilometres before Evans got into difficulty.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/07/09/deja-vu-at-the-tour-de-france-as-bmc-collapse-again/

--------------------

Cadel Evans survived today - sort of, he didn't lose much time but Teejay dropped to over 35 minutes back - in 51st place.

overall standings
http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/stage-9/classifications.html

stlrtruck
07-09-2013, 09:18 AM
I've only caught a few stages, and I've got to say this year has a lot more excitement at the end of each day. I've enjoyed watching these younger guys pulling out attacks.

SCSTILLER
07-11-2013, 07:35 PM
I haven't been able to watch the last couple of stages, and I am not happy about it. Last I saw Froome had a 3 minute plus advantage over the #2 guy. If so that is huge. He is a power house in the mountains and he had the best team on the tour right now. Froome will be extremely tough to beat.

OK Spike, you say "Our" boy crack? Care to elaborate who (our) we are and who is "our" boy? Who is your boy? I will admit that I was hoping TJ would have a good tour, but he is in a support role and he has to earn his place in that team (I fully understand that he will not win the TDF for several years). Understandable with previous TDF winner Cadel Evans on his team. I seriously think that you will see TJ wearing yellow in Paris one day. Right now, he may have cracked competing in all the lesser cycling events. If I remember right he won the Tour of Cali.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else looking forward to the stage where they have to suffer up Mont Ventoux twice! That is just a sick thought. I have a friend who rode up to the top of Mont Ventoux and he said it was the worst experience of his life. He is an animal on a bicycle and he said that he would never do it again. That is the difference between the pros who get paid to do this and the amateurs (still love my amateur competitions, it is fun)

Spike
07-13-2013, 09:30 AM
OK Spike, you say "Our" boy crack? Care to elaborate who (our) we are and who is "our" boy? Who is your boy?

I'm rooting for Contador.

The man most likely to upset Chris Froome.

I want some competition - I guess we'll find out pretty quick who has anything for him in the mountains.

He got a minute back from Froome last stage on a long long long breakout with his team all with him while Sky had a bad day and couldn't bring them back

Spike
07-13-2013, 11:32 AM
and yes - I've been disappointed with the Americans

but lookie here: USA! Andrew Talansky places third in Stage 14.... makes some noise....that's gotta be worth something

Spike
07-15-2013, 12:55 AM
looks about over

Froome cracked the peloton, and won the stage himself atop Mont Ventoux

1. FROOME C. SKY
2. MOLLEMA B. BEL 4:14
3. CONTADOR A. TST 4:25
4. KREUZIGER R. TST 4:28
5. TEN DAM L. BEL 4:54
6. QUINTANA ROJAS N. MOV 5:47

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/stage-15/classifications.html

a classic ride

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1LjTPNAOBoGsTC2XoErlkTpKSjA5Jd nY_qql7N21iWmpjP3rn

Spike
07-17-2013, 05:18 PM
ayep - amid calls of doping, Froome wins the individual time trial, his 3rd stage win and just about ices it

Twice up L'Alpe d'Huez tomorrow - is the ball buster - Contador in 2nd - 4+ minutes back