PDA

View Full Version : See You Ike- nice pick, Cowher

SteelerSal
06-27-2011, 08:29 AM
See You Ike: Why There Will Be No Tears Shed When the Pittsburgh Steelers Fail to Sign Ike Taylor

AUTHOR: Craig June 26, 2011
http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/06/26/see-you-ike-why-there-will-be-no-tears-shed-when-the-pittsburgh-steelers-fail-to-sign-ike-taylor/
http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2011/06/5859-IKE-TAYLOR_Steelers_biography-300x225.jpg

I guess ‘fail’ is too strong a word of negative connotations towards the Steelers to use when Ike Taylor finally signs with another NFL team this year. I would describe it more as a ‘choice.’ There’s been a strong outcry from many in the media and across the Nation that the Steelers defense is scuuuhhhrewwwd if Taylor discontinues being a part of this team. But if Taylor really wants to stay, he’ll stay won’t he?
With free agency on the horizon now that the lockout appears to be nearing its long and drawn out end, Taylor is beginning to voice his feelings on the matter. In an article on NBC Sports Pro Football Talk Mike Florio reports that Ike is hinting towards his indifference on continuing and potentially finishing his career in Pittsburgh.

I see myself being anywhere I need to be. Wherever you put me, I’m going to make home….I just leave it up to my agent and Pittsburgh.When it comes down to getting serious, I’m sure my agent is going to call me. Other than that, he’ll let me know when the time is right. ~ Ike Taylor

See, its words like those that do not instill any kind of confidence that Face Me will be lining up for the Steelers next season. Taylor is already envisioning himself as what it would be like to play for another team in another city. And even though the Steelers ‘say’ they would love to have Taylor returning, they have a consistent track record with how they deal with free agents – avoid bidding wars. read more... (http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/06/26/see-you-ike-why-there-will-be-no-tears-shed-when-the-pittsburgh-steelers-fail-to-sign-ike-taylor/)

salamander
06-27-2011, 08:49 AM
I really hope I'm wrong but I think it's time to start saying bye-bye to Ike.

LLT
06-27-2011, 09:19 AM
I am pretty confident that we sign him.

salamander
06-27-2011, 09:34 AM

I hope you're right!

SteelerSal
06-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Watching Ike on jim Rome's show, it did not sound to promising. If the Steelers don't pay him top dollar and don't match or out bid another team...Ike's walkin.

Pristas
06-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Sounds like he may want the money, and if so, who can blame him? He's worked his butt off. He's made good money, but he has a chance to never even consider money again for the rest of his life. He's already won two superbowls, and he hasn't said anything negative against Pittsburgh. I'll always appreciate what Ike has done for the team. Those two Superbowls probably wouldn't have happened without him. He should get paid, just sad that it will be with another team. This will make camp/pre-season very interesting with all our new guys. Decisions will be made. Look for the Steelers to acquire a "ready to retire" shut down corner to help mentor the younger guys. The Rooney's money is always on the young blood.

Devilsdancefloor
06-27-2011, 10:16 AM
I really do not want to see ike go, but the steelers never overpay or get it into a bidding war over a player so, ike has to make a decision play for a champ or a chump

86WARD
06-27-2011, 10:20 AM
He'll be paired with Asante Samuel in Philadelphia. Carlos Rogers will be signed by Pittsburgh...

smokin3000gt
06-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Watching Ike on jim Rome's show, it did not sound to promising. If the Steelers don't pay him top dollar and don't match or out bid another team...Ike's walkin.

You know I don't think these guys that have never played for another team realize that it is more then a color/uniform change. The entire organization is different. The attitude is different, the will to win is different. I think it was ARL that came back and said 'woah, I didn't think it was going to be like that! The Rooney's want to win and it's obvious the way they run their franchise. ' Go ahead and go for the 'greener' grass Ike. You'll wish that you spent the rest of your career in black and gold. Just ask ARL, Foote , ect..

On another note, you would think as big career move and/or decision he is going to make he would be a little more hands on and talking with his agent instead of the 'waiting for the call to let me know what I'm doing' approach. I guess it goes to show why many of these guys bite the big financial weenie post career.

suitanim
06-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Carlos Rogers is a downgrade. I am not super confident going into even a strike-shortened 2011 season with Rogers and McFadden as our starting CB's. You think Aaron Rodgers tore up our secondary in the SB? You ain't seen nuthin' yet!

GBMelBlount
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Maybe we should send a video of all of his dropped interceptions (with phil collins "I missed again" in the background) to the 31 other teams.

Just sayin

SteelerSal
06-27-2011, 11:19 AM
You know I don't think these guys that have never played for another team realize that it is more then a color/uniform change. The entire organization is different. The attitude is different, the will to win is different. I think it was ARL that came back and said 'woah, I didn't think it was going to be like that! The Rooney's want to win and it's obvious the way they run their franchise. ' Go ahead and go for the 'greener' grass Ike. You'll wish that you spent the rest of your career in black and gold. Just ask ARL, Foote , ect..

On another note, you would think as big career move and/or decision he is going to make he would be a little more hands on and talking with his agent instead of the 'waiting for the call to let me know what I'm doing' approach. I guess it goes to show why many of these guys bite the big financial weenie post career.

Good..no, great post!!

Been alot of good players for the Steelers that disapeared and never heard from again when they went to other teams.

smokin3000gt
06-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Sounds like he may want the money, and if so, who can blame him? He's worked his butt off. He's made good money, but he has a chance to never even consider money again for the rest of his life. He's already won two superbowls, and he hasn't said anything negative against Pittsburgh. I'll always appreciate what Ike has done for the team. Those two Superbowls probably wouldn't have happened without him. He should get paid, just sad that it will be with another team. This will make camp/pre-season very interesting with all our new guys. Decisions will be made. Look for the Steelers to acquire a "ready to retire" shut down corner to help mentor the younger guys. The Rooney's money is always on the young blood.

I agree with your post I just also wanted to play devil's advocate and mention that Ike probably would have never tasted a SB let alone two rings without Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is more likely to do it again without Ike than Ike without Pittsburgh.

suitanim
06-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Pittsburgh is more likely to do it again without Ike than Ike without Pittsburgh.

Just not this year...even if we sign a capable replacement, he will almost certainly be a downgrade.

It is also important to note that we are always just one injury away from William Gay being our starter...

smokin3000gt
06-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Just not this year...even if we sign a capable replacement, he will almost certainly be a downgrade.

It is also important to note that we are always just one injury away from William Gay being our starter...

Unfortunately... you're right.

The Duke
06-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Hopefully Ike and McFadden are close friends. Tell him all about how miserable it is outside of pittsburgh BMac!

I think Ike will start visiting other teams to drive the steelers price up. He knows they will pay him less than others teams, but will be looking to bring at least gain some leverage

Or at least I hope :chuckle:

steeldawg
06-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Of course Ike is going to say that , its all part of the free agent game. By saying he would be happy anywhere gets more teams intrested and drives his value up, also its keeps pittsburgh from thinking they can low ball him. Its all about driving his value up, im sure he wants to stay in pittsburgh.

Psycho Ward 86
06-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Cardinals.

The Duke
06-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Cardinals.

Big money on Cromartie Peterson AND Ike?

I doubt it

if anything they take Gay

HometownGal
06-27-2011, 04:18 PM

I'm with you here Perry. The Steelers know how valuable he is to the D but in the event we are wrong, I can't fault the guy for taking the best deal he can get. He's been a class guy ever since he put on the black and gold and I believe if he can't reach an agreement with the Steelers FO, he'll leave as a class guy.

Psycho Ward 86
06-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Maybe we should send a video of all of his dropped interceptions (with phil collins "I missed again" in the background) to the 31 other teams.

Just sayin

Good game plan haha!

pepsyman1
06-27-2011, 05:03 PM
We do it with linebackers all the time, we just hired a new DB coach who has played in the system, I think it's time we try putting the young DB's on the field. The defense has been set up for the corners to play off and contain pass plays, we've haven't had a CB with big interception numbers since Rod Woodson anyway. I think our system is sound if Coach D doesn't curl into that ugly prevent shell that's burned us over the last couple of years. We don't give up points the first 3 quarters of games with the system we have...play it the whole game and let the young guys do what our young linebackers do..STEP UP. Time to get past this hurdle of having a secondary who's success is solely determined by whether Troy plays.

BigNastyDefense
06-27-2011, 06:18 PM
First, I think in the end Ike signs with Pittsburgh as long as he is offered what he feels he is worth. He knows the Rooneys won't get into a bidding war with the likes of a Dallas or Washington. However, he does know if he visits those teams the Steelers will give him the max they absolutely can. If he values winning and not just money, which I think he does, then he will be back in the Black and Gold.

However, if he does decide to take the biggest deal available, I do not blame him. He has worked very hard to get to this point in his career and deserves the biggest payday he can get. He has never done anything the embarrass the Steelers. He has been a total class act his entire career. If he decides to leave for more money....he won't get any hate from me.

SteelerFanInStl
06-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Of course Ike is going to say that , its all part of the free agent game. By saying he would be happy anywhere gets more teams intrested and drives his value up, also its keeps pittsburgh from thinking they can low ball him. Its all about driving his value up, im sure he wants to stay in pittsburgh.

Exactly. What do people expect him to say? He has to keep his options open right now.

LLT
06-28-2011, 07:40 AM
I'm with you here Perry. The Steelers know how valuable he is to the D but in the event we are wrong, I can't fault the guy for taking the best deal he can get. He's been a class guy ever since he put on the black and gold and I believe if he can't reach an agreement with the Steelers FO, he'll leave as a class guy.

If we had legitimate CB's waiting in the wings then I would doubt if Ike would be resigned. The fact that we dont even have a legit #2 CB...or CB's who seem ready to step up...leads me to believe that Ike will be a prioroty.

I know that we all want Colon resigned ...but the truth of the matter is that the talent level behind Ike is thinner than the talent level behind Colon.

86WARD
06-28-2011, 08:44 AM
If we had legitimate CB's waiting in the wings then I would doubt if Ike would be resigned. The fact that we dont even have a legit #2 CB...or CB's who seem ready to step up...leads me to believe that Ike will be a prioroty.

I know that we all want Colon resigned ...but the truth of the matter is that the talent level behind Ike is thinner than the talent level behind Colon.

QFT

Pristas
06-28-2011, 10:23 AM
I agree with your post I just also wanted to play devil's advocate and mention that Ike probably would have never tasted a SB let alone two rings without Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is more likely to do it again without Ike than Ike without Pittsburgh.

I was definitely not implying that he was the reason for those Rings, just that a deep post season run is highly unlikely without him. Especially against guys like Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. And I agree with you, Ike got his Rings because of Pittsburgh, because he was a team player.

Steeldude
06-29-2011, 12:58 AM
i told you guys he was spewing BS when he first started talking about re-signing with the steelers. taylor doesn't care who he plays for just as long as they pay him the money. he'll play for the raiders if the money is right.

suitanim
06-29-2011, 08:35 AM
i told you guys he was spewing BS when he first started talking about re-signing with the steelers. taylor doesn't care who he plays for just as long as they pay him the money. he'll play for the raiders if the money is right.
But you ALWAYS see and say the most negative thing possible. Even Debbie Downer is right on occasion...and, until he actually DOES take the money and run, nobody knows what he's thinking for sure.

SteelGhost
06-29-2011, 05:31 PM
If he decides to go somewhere else, so be it, it won't be the first time we have to manage a change anyway :noidea: In the B & G FO I trust :thumbsup:

GBMelBlount
06-29-2011, 07:05 PM
suitanim

until he actually DOES take the money and run, nobody knows what he's thinking for sure.

stone hands

"Wherever you put me, I’m going to make home….I just leave it up to my agent and Pittsburgh"

I am curious....how often does an agent suggest to a player to take a hometown discount?

I realize often times their is "posturing" but if he is TRULY leaving it up to his agent, wouldn't we likely have to make him the best offer to keep him?

Steeldude
07-02-2011, 02:52 AM
But you ALWAYS see and say the most negative thing possible. Even Debbie Downer is right on occasion...and, until he actually DOES take the money and run, nobody knows what he's thinking for sure.

no, you mean i see the REALITY of the situation. everyone can't be a mindless cheerleader who thinks everything is always a fairy tale come true.

Texasteel
07-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Anyone can be a mindless bitcher as well, I chose to be a mindless cheerleader.

I think that Ike want to come back and would probably take a little less to stay, but if some team wants to throw an ungodly amount of money at him and he doesn't take it, he doesn't need to go to another team, he needs to go back to school. That doesn't mean he is not sincere when he says he wants to stay in Pittsburgh.

LLT
07-02-2011, 09:29 AM

You are forgetting to take into consideration that this is a "third contract". There is ALWAYS posturing with a third contract ...there is ALWAYS the subtle threat of leaving for another team with a third contract.

When a player is looking at his LAST contract its never in his best interest to say anything that doesnt maximize his value.

steelreserve
07-02-2011, 05:54 PM

We went to the Super Bowl without Colon even setting foot on the field all year. That about sums up how essential he is to re-sign.

suitanim
07-03-2011, 08:40 AM
no, you mean i see the REALITY of the situation. everyone can't be a mindless cheerleader who thinks everything is always a fairy tale come true.

I see...I see....how is it then, that 98% of your statements are NEGATIVE?

You DO realize that the Steelers are the class organization of the NFL, right? I'd HATE to see what you think about a franchise like the Pirates.

And the dig about me being a mindless cheerleader is borderline retarded. I'm the farthest thing from mindless...but you may want to take a nice long look in the mirror before you answer the question about being negative with more another steady stream of your own negative "mindless" nonsense.