PDA

View Full Version : Rating the 2011 Steelers 1-10

zulater
06-26-2011, 09:26 PM
This is my list, completely subjective, in which I project the impact the players will have for the upcoming season. This is not a list of career accomplishements, this is not to cite what value players have had in the past, it's a projection of what sort of season I believe they'll have in 2011. I'll start at the top and work my way through the top ten for now, and then sometime in the near future I'll start to project 11-20. Of course I'm hoping that we'll have actual free agency before I get to that point, because I've got a feeling at least one player in the second 10 is currently a free agent, so as I can't really project him yet.

Anyway without further ado here's my list, starting from the top

1. Ben Roethlisberger. I'll go on record now as predicting a career year for Ben, a season in which he'll be prominently mentioned as a league wide MVP candidate throughout.

2. Troy Polamalu. If Troy remains healthy he's the most impactfull defensive player in the league. Let's hope for a full and healthy season for Troy. :pray:

3. LaMarr Woodley. I could have gone a lot of ways here, but I went with LaMarr who I think is going to have a breakout season and will challenge for the league lead in sacks.

4. Maurkice Pouncey. Is on the fast track to being the league best center.

5. James Harrison. I thought about putting James 3rd but he's faded late in each of the last 2 seasons, of course faded is relative, because 85% of Harrison is better than 100% of most. Still I would like to see the Steelers spell Harrison on a couple of series a game, so as to preserve his best legs for the playoffs

6. Rashard Mendenhall, if Mendenhall doesn't tweet his way out of town he just may well end up having the best all around season a Steelers back has ever had. I could easily see Mendy totally 2000 total yards rushing and recieving in 2011.

7. Lawrence Timmons. Through 7 games last season after Troy you could easily have made the case that Timmons was having the best season of any Steeler. His play fell off in the second half of last season, if he can maintain better consistency this could be the year he marks himself one of the league's best ILB's.

8. Mike Wallace. Wallace is another Steeler on the verge of contending for season ending All Pro honors.

9. Heath Miller. Miller's stats were killed last year by the injury to Willie Colon, which forced him to stay in as an extra blocker on a large percentage of the passing plays. I think this year the right tackle position will prove more stable and thus allow Heath to reinvigorate his stats among the league's better receiving tight ends. Of course Heath is such a valuable blocker that even if his stats stay moderate his value is still elite.

10. Ziggy Hood. Sounds crazy huh? Well it wont so much when Ziggy dominates at the point of attack this season against the run and throws in an unheard of ( for a Steelers 3-4 DE) 10+ sacks!

HometownGal
06-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Nice analysis, Zu. :drink: The key here, of course, is everyone staying healthy. :pray:

6. Rashard Mendenhall, if Mendenhall doesn't tweet his way out of town he just may well end up having the best all around season a Steelers back has ever had. I could easily see Mendy totally 2000 yards rushing and recieving combined in 2011.

HOLD ONTO THE BALL MENDY!!!! :heh:

zulater
06-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Nice analysis, Zu. :drink: The key here, of course, is everyone staying healthy. :pray:

HOLD ONTO THE BALL MENDY!!!! :heh:

Thanks HTG, one thing is very evident as I considered my list, the Steelers have a whole lot of front line talent! I mean we haven't even got to guys like James Farrior, Brett Keisel, Hines Ward, and Casey Hampton yet. How many teams can go that deep in top tier talent?

SteelerSal
06-27-2011, 07:04 AM
I can't argue with that list...even with Hood at #10....

Mendy will need to have a great year..if he play sub-par, he wont have a chance with the fans.

I want to see more receptions per game out of Wallace.

I can see both Woodley and Timmons playing at a pro bowl level.

Harrison's style of play and his recent back problems might become a problem in my opinion.....

Texasteel
06-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Nice job Zu.

I can also see one of last years kids stepping up and having a great year. I mean besides Pouncey, he is just in a class of his own.

The Duke
06-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Maybe not for this particular list, but Worilds will be important this year, especially in relation to harrison

for as much as I like chris carter I doubt he's even active without an injury. But Worilds showed us some of his talent last year, and I'm sure they will begin to spell Harrison with him, and have no doubt after a season behind those two he could play if one goes down

Great analysis Zu :drink:

Texasteel
06-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Maybe not for this particular list, but Worilds will be important this year, especially in relation to harrison

for as much as I like chris carter I doubt he's even active without an injury. But Worilds showed us some of his talent last year, and I'm sure they will begin to spell Harrison with him, and have no doubt after a season behind those two he could play if one goes down

I tend to agree with you Duke, and I'm glad Carter will not have to jump right in the middle of things. Let him get his feet wet and get comfortable with the team, and the pros, and I think he could play out very well for us.

zulater
06-30-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm going to go 11-15, and hopefully reserve the 16-25 until after free agency is resolved.

11. Hines Ward. Again I could have gone a lot of ways here, but Hines just felt right at 11. Still capable of taking over a game as much as about any receiver can when called upon, but also willing to accept a lesser role quitely when that's what best helps the team.

12. Brett Keisel. Coming off the best season of his career, Brett is equally capable against the run and the pass. Nice that he finally got some league wide recogniction, no reason to think he wont be as good this year.

13. Casey Hampton. This is as high as I can rate "Big Snack" being as he comes off the field on most passing downs. Still as a nose tackle against the run he's nearly without peer. And when he gets his dander up he can push back the center and wreck the pocket with the best of them. sometimes I think the Steelers should keep Casey on the field more often on 3rd downs, I certainly don't ever see him being a liability.

14. Emanuel Sanders. With a bullet, I think Emanuel has merely scratched the surface of his vast potential, can easily see him higher on the list by years end.

15 tie. Aaron Smith. If Aaron is still in the Steelers plans he's still a great player. Somehow LeBeau will come up with a plan to keep Aaron involved while not stifling the growth of Ziggy Hood. The Steelers front 7 this year will be truly special.

15 tie. James Farrior. Yes this seems too low, particuarly with Potsie coming off such an excellent season. But if you remember James has a subpar season in 2009, and father time eventually catches up with everone. So a slight drop off could be in the offing for this season. But only slight, plus being ranked 15th on this list is no dishonor when you consider the names ahead of him

That will do it for this list until we get some labor resolution. One thing that deserves noting is who's not on the list, or rather what units are under represented here. :nervous:

SteelGhost
06-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Nice job Zu :thumbsup:

zulater
06-30-2011, 06:32 PM

Agree totally about Worldis Duke. :thumbsup: And thanks for the props.

zulater
06-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Nice job Zu :thumbsup:

Thanks ghost. I just wish there were more offensive linemen and defensive backs on my list. :nervous:

zulater
06-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Nice job Zu.

I can also see one of last years kids stepping up and having a great year. I mean besides Pouncey, he is just in a class of his own.

That could make for a good thread Tex,:yup: best sophomore for 2011 excluding Pouncey? My guess, :scratchchin: Emanuel Sanders.

SteelGhost
07-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks ghost. I just wish there were more offensive linemen and defensive backs on my list. :nervous:

You're welcome Zu. Yep a DB and an OT on the list would be nice, let's wait and see :pray:

salamander
07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Good analysis! I like where our team stands.

Texasteel
07-01-2011, 08:12 PM
That could make for a good thread Tex,:yup: best sophomore for 2011 excluding Pouncey? My guess, :scratchchin: Emanuel Sanders.

You know I like Sanders, and I thought he was just getting better and better. Your right though, you have to exclude Pouncey. Thats sort of like a fight between Bat Man and Superman. Bat Man is awfully good, buuuuuuut .:lol: