PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for a trip to Pittsburgh in November from a brand new UK member.

Steeler2206
06-26-2011, 02:25 PM
:) hi there,

The thread is pretty much as it sounds: I am completely brand new here, I was referred by 43Hitman, and I am seeking some advice for a trip I am planning to Pittsburgh in November.

Yesterday, I managed to secure tickets for a friend and I to see the Steelers take on the ravens at Heinz Field. That was the easy part.... flights and accommodation is far more complex and costly.
With flights, I'll just use travelsupermarket or some other site like that [flights looking to be in region of £500], but as for accommodation- are any of you guys aware of any good avenues for me to check out? It's usually only huge, expensive, chain hotels that appear on the search engines, and I am not a millionaire. Yet.

Also, on the more fun side- where should i check out whilst I am in Pitt?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give on this.

EDIT #1:

I've decided that I want to go slightly 'backpacker traveller' on this trip. I have no 'need' for hotel as much with all their fancyness, simply a bed. So I got the idea from a guy at work who has done years of travelling- hostel/motel.
sure enough, there is one outside the city, with seemingly good public transport, Motel6, just north of 'Pennsbury Village'. is only £15 a night, and is all i need. it appears clean, safe, simple. It means, that instead of £70-80 a night, I'm saving hundreds and could stay for an entire week instead, using the excess money as money for buying Steeler gear :p
do any of you guys who live in the area/would know see any flaws in that plan?

43Hitman
06-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you to the site. It won't be long before you have a boatload of useful info from the great people of this site. Welcome home Steeler2206.

stillers4me
06-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Welcome to SU and lucky you for scoring the tickets!! I don't live in Pa. anymore but I did enjoy a meal at Jerome Bettis Grille, right across from Heinz Field the last time I was in Pittsburgh.

And be sure to get in touch with Stlrs4Life in the Tailgatin' forum. Dom hosts a great tailgate every Sunday and all SU members in town for the game are welcome!

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/32-Tailgatin

Carolina Steelers
06-26-2011, 05:39 PM
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pitwm-springhill-suites-west-mifflin/?Marriott_BD=%257B4A946669-2ECE-4DDC-9DED-AB8A50F7ADE0&checked=True

As far as hotels not sure how much you want to spend, I been to pittsburgh the past 3yrs and everytime I stay @ SpringHill Suites in west mifflin. I think its an avg price I believe around $150 per night. Might seem like alot but the one thing i love about this place is the shuttle service. They take you anywhere you want to go, to and from game, downtown anywhere just let them know then when your ready to go back to room you call them and let them know where you are and they come right there. Also a real nice shopping center right by Hotel Centry III Mall (i think). Thats just my 2 cents. Enjoy the game nothing like Steelers Ravens Sunday night.

Count Steeler
06-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Dress warmly.

And welcome to SU. Sorry I don't have much inside info about Pittsburgh. I just visit there every year or two.

What I do with hotels is look for new ones or newly renovated ones. They usually have some good specials. About 3 years ago I stayed at the Fairfield Inn on Neville Island. It was just newly opened and I only paid about $79/night. 1 year ago I stayed at the Pittsburgh Embassy Suites, it was newly renovated and it was a higher end hotel with free buffet breakfast for my whole party and we only paid $150/night.

As far as food goes, you should make at least 1 visit to Primonti Bros.

HometownGal
06-27-2011, 06:59 AM
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pitwm-springhill-suites-west-mifflin/?Marriott_BD=%257B4A946669-2ECE-4DDC-9DED-AB8A50F7ADE0&checked=True

As far as hotels not sure how much you want to spend, I been to pittsburgh the past 3yrs and everytime I stay @ SpringHill Suites in west mifflin. I think its an avg price I believe around $150 per night. Might seem like alot but the one thing i love about this place is the shuttle service. They take you anywhere you want to go, to and from game, downtown anywhere just let them know then when your ready to go back to room you call them and let them know where you are and they come right there. Also a real nice shopping center right by Hotel Centry III Mall (i think). Thats just my 2 cents. Enjoy the game nothing like Steelers Ravens Sunday night.

Hey you - next time you are in town, give me a holler. I live about 5 minutes from The Spring Hill Suites! :drink:

Welcome to the board Steeler2206 - we're glad to have you! :wave: :drink: :tt03:

Here is a website which may help.

http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/

Don't stay in downtown Pittsburgh or the North Shore. The hotels there will pillage you as far as price goes. :horror: Greentree is on the other side of the Fort Pitt Tunnels and there are several hotels there which are very nice and reasonable.

http://www.expedia.com/Green-Tree-Pittsburgh-Hotels.0-n6057663-0.Travel-Guide-Filter-Hotels

If you need any more info, please feel free to ask or shoot me a PM. I've lived in Pittsburgh 99% of my life and know all of the ins and outs. :drink:

Steeler2206
06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies to this guys, definitely giving me some good insight here, I really appreciate it. Am going to look into a few things, but am hoping to book all flights and such by mid July. 13hour flight= epic fail. but will be worth it.

Carolina Steelers
06-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Hey you - next time you are in town, give me a holler. I live about 5 minutes from The Spring Hill Suites!

Ok, Marianne (HTG) i might just take you up on that offer wont be this yr since i made my way up there for fan blitz plus using the rest of my vacation to go to Carowinds, and going to Hines Ward signing next month. But thats sounds like a plan, next time i get up there

Steeler2206
06-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Have edited OP due to additiontal question. thanks again in advance :)

pepsyman1
06-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Welcome aboard Steeler2206. There is absolutely NOTHING like being in Pittsburgh for a Ravens game. I don't know how your getting around in Pittsburgh, but as was stated above, many of the hotels provide shuttle service to the game. There really aren't enough cabs to deal with the influx of people for a Ravens game, especially if it's a night game. If you are going to be renting a car while you are in town I would recommend parking down at Station Square and taking one of the big clipper ferry boats over to the stadium. I did that my last trip out and it's a really cool experience. Most of the country has no real idea of how pretty a city Pittsburgh really is. When you get done the game, go back on the ferry, go up the incline and have dinner at one of the restaurants on Grandview Ave and you can eat while you overlook the city from the top. Priceless.

HometownGal
06-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Most of the country has no real idea of how pretty a city Pittsburgh really is. When you get done the game, go back on the ferry, go up the incline and have dinner at one of the restaurants on Grandview Ave and you can eat while you overlook the city from the top. Priceless.

You are spot on there pepsyman. :thumbsup: People who have never been here still envision Pittsburgh as a filthy, stinky old mill town and nothing could be farther from the truth. Nothing is more beautiful (to me) than viewing downtown Pittsburgh at night from Mt. Washington. Breathtaking!

If going on the incline up to Mt. Washington for dinner, I highly recommend The Georgetowne. Delectable food, great service and one helluva view!

pepsyman1
06-27-2011, 05:08 PM
You are spot on there pepsyman. :thumbsup: People who have never been here still envision Pittsburgh as a filthy, stinky old mill town and nothing could be farther from the truth. Nothing is more beautiful (to me) than viewing downtown Pittsburgh at night from Mt. Washington. Breathtaking!

If going on the incline up to Mt. Washington for dinner, I highly recommend The Georgetowne. Delectable food, great service and one helluva view!

HTG, I agree 100%. The view of the city (day or night) is amazing. An incredible variety of architecture, the rivers coming together in the middle of the city...the stadium right there overlooking the water. The city is an amazing site.

Steeler2206
07-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Flight: Booked
Hotel: Booked
Coach travel to and from my home airport: Booked :)

Arriving the day before the game, Saturday 5th November. Flying back on the Friday 11th. Thanks for all the advice guys :)

43Hitman
07-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Arriving the day before the game, Saturday 5th November. Flying back on the Friday 11th. Thanks for all the advice guys :)

Awesome! Have a great time, take some pictures and share them with us please.

86WARD
07-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Enjoy!!!

Hindes204
07-05-2011, 09:50 PM

Sorry I missed this thread, I just noticed it. I grew up on that side of Pittsburgh, could have given you all kinds of advice. Did you end up getting a hotel onthe west side? I can give you all kinds of cool little unknown places to visit over on that side of town.

Steeler2206
07-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Sorry I missed this thread, I just noticed it. I grew up on that side of Pittsburgh, could have given you all kinds of advice. Did you end up getting a hotel onthe west side? I can give you all kinds of cool little unknown places to visit over on that side of town.

I actually decided to 'rough it' a little as I'm a young man with few needs besides: bed and shower, so stopping in a decent looking 'motel' [definitely an American thing as i was clueless as to what one was] which is just south west of the city, in between the airport and city. I'm barely taking any clothes or anything with me, because i'm planning on daily epic shopping trips and bringing back a full case. There's a bus route into the city that goes from airport to near the stadium, so each day i'll take the trip in and explore allllllll the city. :) so by all means, bombard me with suggestion. I'm going to be noting everything down and planning out all locations so i know where i'm going. Going by myself too :)