PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' assistant lauds defensive line

stillers4me
06-20-2010, 08:06 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/images/head_ptr.gif (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/)
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, June 20, 2010
http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-06-19/0620stmitchell-a.jpg

GRETNA, La. -- Asked about the state of his defensive line, Steelers assistant head coach John Mitchell said he has never felt better about starters Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel. "You tell me three better guys," Mitchell said. "You ask me any three guys I can pick, those three guys I want."

Since Keisel joined Smith and Hampton as starters in 2006, the Steelers have never been ranked lower than No. 3 in rushing defense. They've led the NFL in total defense twice and were ranked No. 1 in passing defense once during that span.

Since 2000, the Steelers have led the league in total defense four times, rushing defense three times and passing defense once. The 2000 and '03 seasons were the only years when the Steelers didn't feature a top-five finish in total defense, rushing defense or passing defense.

"There's never been a better defensive front in the National Football League," said Mitchell, the Steelers' defensive line coach since 1994. "If you go back and look at the stats where the Steelers defense has finished, people would be shocked how well we've played. You're always appreciated later in life. People don't realize how great you are until later."

Speaking last week at cornerback Ike Taylor's football camp in suburban New Orleans, Mitchell said he believes the Steelers' defensive line should become even stronger this season because of a projected increase in playing time for Ziggy Hood, the team's first-round draft pick in 2009. Hood has a better understanding of the defense entering his second season and his mechanics should allow him to remain on the field longer.

A projected increase in playing time for Hood should mean that Smith, 34, Hampton, 32 and Keisel, 31, will be fresher in fourth quarters. Last season, the Steelers' defensive line wore down late in games, and the inability to pressure the quarterback was key during the team's five-game losing streak.

Smith has recovered from a shoulder injury that required surgery and forced him to miss 11 games last season. "Aaron didn't want the operation. He wanted to play the rest of the season," Mitchell said. "We had to be smart enough to say the wear and tear on his body's not worth him playing, where it might get worse. Aaron's got a lot of years left in that body."

Mitchell envisions a defensive line rotation including Hood, Nick Eason and Chris Hoke. "I'm really excited about Ziggy. The transition he's made from his first year to his second year has been tremendous," Mitchell said. "He's using his hands better. Last year, Ziggy let people into his body. Right now, he's playing with better pad level, he's using his hands better and he's staying on his feet.

"Now I can rest Aaron Smith, I can rest Brett Keisel. There's not going to be a drop-off, and it's the same with Nick Eason. I can put those guys in there. We're going to have six guys this year who are going to play. We're going to rotate those guys and keep them fresh."

And focused on stopping the run. "Aaron Smith could have been All-Pro I don't know how many years, but he doesn't get sacks; we don't ask our guys to get sacks," Mitchell said. "I'm not going to ask Brett Keisel to get sacks. I don't ask Casey to get sacks. I ask those guys to stop the run, let our outside linebackers get those suckers, our inside linebackers can get sacks.

"If we don't stop the run, the fans and the (media) are going to say the defensive line is not playing well. I want a guy who can stop the run."
Another reason why Mitchell said he is so partial to the trio of Smith, Hampton and Keisel is their consistent level of play.

Their performance varies little from game-to-game, or even season to season.
That makes it easier for Mitchell to teach his younger players. Sometimes his veterans do the teaching for him. "That's probably the biggest thing we have over a lot of other ball clubs," Mitchell said. "When guys come here, the veterans are going to show them how to do it the 'Steeler Way.' They're going to show them how coach (Dick) LeBeau wants it done, how the position coach wants it done. That makes us a lot better than a lot of teams we're going to play.

"That's why we've been as good as we've been. We know what we're going to get."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_686873.html#

HometownGal
06-20-2010, 08:27 AM
I love our DL and with the return of Aaron and Ziggy getting more playing time this season, this line is going to absolutely kick ass! :clap2: :thumbsup:

I really like John Mitchell a lot. He seems to get the most out of his players and is a "no bullshit" kind of guy. :drink:

steelpride12
06-20-2010, 09:25 AM
John Mitchell is underrated and I love his mentality with the DL. Keisel, Hampton, and Smith are one nasty line and now Hood getting more reps this season should be exciting to watch as well. I hope Smith can stay healthy this season so we can enjoy watching this line kick ass!

solardave
06-20-2010, 09:45 AM
I can't wait for the season to start.

Devilsdancefloor
06-20-2010, 09:47 AM
I cant wait for fotball to start and see our defense play! With smith & troy back and now ziggy!

stillers4me
06-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I love our DL and with the return of Aaron and Ziggy getting more playing time this season, this line is going to absolutely kick ass! :clap2: :thumbsup:

I really like John Mitchell a lot. He seems to get the most out of his players and is a "no bullshit" kind of guy. :drink:

Coach Mitchell....next in line for the throne??

HometownGal
06-20-2010, 03:31 PM

I'd say that is a very good possibility AFTER Coach T either retires or moves on at some point.

Chidi29
06-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Mitchell is going to retire soon.

stillers4me
06-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I'd say that is a very good possibility AFTER Coach T either retires or moves on at some point.
I was thinking more along the lines of Defensive Coordinator after LeBeau retires.

Psycho Ward 86
06-20-2010, 04:15 PM
In 2 years, Ziggy unleashes the freakin' dragon

The Duke
06-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Oh my, Smith and Keisel are gonna be better than ever during the playoffs now

Can't wait to see an even better ziggy

ope Rashon harris makes the team too. They obviously like him

salamander
06-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Good stuff.

Is it September yet?!

:tt02::tt03:

Merchant
06-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Their age concerns me a little for the near future but in 2010 they should remain the best D-Line in football

Nadroj 20
06-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Good stuff.

Is it September yet?!

:tt02::tt03:

Wow i wish...i cant wait! :tt02:

BlastFurnace
06-20-2010, 09:20 PM
I still think there is plenty of room for concern. This team needs to develop young D'lineman in the worst way. Ziggy is a start, but there needs to be more. If they keep Harris and he develops, that will help.

I also find his "There's never been a better defensive front in the National Football League," laughable. Our present D'line isn't even the best in Team history, let alone the NFL.

Shea
06-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Their age concerns me a little for the near future

Me too, especially for Aaron.

Probably my favorite Steeler, just wish he could play forever.

BigNastyDefense
06-20-2010, 09:37 PM
I still think there is plenty of room for concern. This team needs to develop young D'lineman in the worst way. Ziggy is a start, but there needs to be more. If they keep Harris and he develops, that will help.

I also find his "There's never been a better defensive front in the National Football League," laughable. Our present D'line isn't even the best in Team history, let alone the NFL.

The best defensive front in NFL history is the 70's Steel Curtain.

But the Smith-Hampton-Keisel line might be the best 3-4 front. Most def the best Dick Lebeau 3-4 front.

steelerdude15
06-20-2010, 10:58 PM
I do love our defensive line and I'm excited that Aaron will be back this year. They're such a solid group and really can cause a lot of hell. Give Ziggy a couple more years to grow and mature and I bet he is a huge part of the that d-line.

MULLDOG24
06-21-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm kinda interested in seeing Hampton this year as he's been working harder in the OTA's this year and he has that new contract so hopefully he will dominate the line of scrimmage.

Psycho Ward 86
06-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Our present D'line isn't even the best in Team history, let alone the NFL.

Lol, there NEVER will be a better D-line than the 70's steelers from any of these 32 franchises.

And id say we can all agree that the Packers, Bengals, Ravens, Cowboys, Steelers, and Vikings have the best defensive fronts in no particular order. You could make a good arguement that any of those teams have the best defensive line.

Galax Steeler
06-22-2010, 03:46 AM
I would like to see our defensive line get back to playing the way it used to. Getting Ziggy into the mix will help alot. I can't wait for the season to get here.