PDA

View Full Version : The Bruce Arians/Ben Roethlisberger Dynamic

stillers4me
06-17-2011, 06:01 PM
What is the definition of Steeler football? We talk a lot about a hard-hitting stout defense, and a gruesome rushing attack, but where does the pass fit in? When I think of Steeler football, I get images of Jack Lambert, Mean Joe, and Franco Harris. Run the ball, control the clock, and play great defense.

But isn’t the NFL changing?

The new rules, though mostly frustrating for Steelers fans and players, could actually benefit us on the offensive side of the ball as well. We have yet to see the refs protect Ben Roethlisberger, but with these new rule changes, I would be surprised if I didn’t start seeing the yellow flags fly even when it’s Big Ben being hit. So what does this mean for the nature of Steeler football, and in particular, the run game vs. the pass game?.............

Read more @ http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/06/17/the-bruce-ariansben-roethlisberger-dynamic/#more-7901

SteelerEmpire
06-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Yea. What happened to all of the "fire Arians" threads ???

HometownGal
06-17-2011, 06:59 PM
I must admit, when Tomlin kept Arians after the 2009 season, I was a bit skeptical.

I wasn't.

Somehow I managed to blame all of our fourth quarter losses on him, when it was really the defense that needed the scolding.

An epiphany - say it aint so!!!

Now, after a second Super Bowl appearance since become the Steelers’ OC, I couldn’t be happier with where we are at. As far as I see it, as long as Big Ben is happy and comfortable, and feels like the coaches are behind him, holding on to Arians was never a sketchy decision. It was always the right thing to do.

I think hell just froze over. :jawdrop2:

Good to see that at least one former BA hater finally gets it. :applaudit:

salamander
06-17-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't care if we win 3-0 or 33-0 with BA as our OC, as long as we win games, I'm happy. Everyone may not agree with his playcalling but we still manage to win games with him so I'm satisfied.

Count Steeler
06-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Let's not forget about Swann and Stallworth. We have and have had a vertical threat. It is also part of Steelers football.

polamalubeast
06-17-2011, 07:48 PM
In the best years of the steelers, they have always been excellent for making big plays through the air.

During the Super Bowl in the 1970's year against the Cowboys and Rams, the Steelers have made ​​a lot of big play with Swann and John Stallorth.

Since 2004, Roethlisberger is one of the best in the league to make big plays through the air....His average for yards per pass attempt is proof.

suitanim
06-20-2011, 09:18 AM
FIRE ARIANS!

(Someone had to do it...)

fansince'76
06-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Yea. What happened to all of the "fire Arians" threads ???

The lockout is his fault, y'know.... :chuckle:

X-Terminator
06-20-2011, 10:48 AM
There can be a thousand articles like this, and there will still be those who say that the Steelers won and got to the SB in spite of Arians rather than give him even a little bit of credit. But I give this author full marks for realizing that not everything is Arians' fault.

suitanim
06-20-2011, 11:21 AM
I remember a few years ago I put together a several page long history/bio/statistical analysis of BA. It was researched, was filled with stats and analysis, facts and figures, including all the experience he had and the successes with even mediocre teams.

It was almost universally dismissed by his detractors that posted on that board (which shall remain nameless) then...and I'm sure many of them never even bothered to read it. Most people who "know" something simply refuse to learn anything more about it, which is unfortunate because everything evolves and changes, and many opinions are malformed to begin with...

LLT
06-20-2011, 12:06 PM
I remember having a long debate with one of our past members about my belief that Arians was handcuffed this last year in regards to what plays he could call while Sanders and Brown were on the field. I made a point of asking Emmanuel about that in the interview that will be posted soon.

Beyond a doubt...Arians did a fantastic job of bringing Sanders and Brown along. Our wide recievers have several different routes they can run on every play, depending on how the defense lines up. Ben has got to have confidence that his recievers are reading the defense correctly.

Until Arians and Ben had confidence in Sanders and Brown...their play calling was severly limited.

Chidi29
06-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Plus having a makeshift offensive line that really hampered any ability to get a consistent and fluid offense.

tube517
06-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Fire Randy Fichtner!

Craic
06-20-2011, 04:03 PM
I wasn't.

An epiphany - say it aint so!!!

I think hell just froze over. :jawdrop2:

Good to see that at least one former BA hater finally gets it. :applaudit:

You're a bad, bad woman.

Dang I love it! :wink02:

HometownGal
06-20-2011, 06:54 PM
You're a bad, bad woman.

Dang I love it! :wink02:

It's all BA's fault that I'm a bad woman. :heh:

86WARD
06-20-2011, 07:15 PM
I HATE when people say that Steelers football is hard hitting defense and pounding the rock. Because it's really not and it hasn't been for a long time...lol.

The Duke
06-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Fire Randy Fichtner!

haha, believe me I can already see it happening. Fichtner has learned a lot from Arians in his time here, once he retires he'll have the reigns of this offense and I expect not much change from what we run now to keep the transition as fluid as possible

so yeah, might as well start a "Fire Fichtner!!" thread early, just for kicks :chuckle:

zulater
06-20-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm glad Arians stayed, because this certainly wasn't the year to change coordinaters. And even though I've never been a huge fan of his I've got to admit he's helped Ben develop as a passer and quarterback.

suitanim
06-21-2011, 08:23 AM
That is a great point. The Steelers may be hitting the field (provided the rumors of an imminent labor deal are true) with basically the same exact team they left the field with on SB Sunday (gotta sign Ike), only healthier. Same defense, same offense. That will put them far out in front of many, many teams. Think about the Browns. They have a new HC, a new OC, a new DC, an entirely new offensive system (West Coast) and a new defensive scheme (switching back to a 4-3).

They are, in a word, fucked.