PDA

View Full Version : The Pittsburgh Steelers: To Run or Not To Run, That Is the Question

polamalubeast
05-30-2010, 08:02 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers: To Run or Not To Run, That Is the Question
by Timothy Kessler Analyst Written on May 29, 2010
Karl Walter/Getty Images Although it is too early to tell just yet how much of a focus the Steelers will put on improving their running game, Rashard Mendenhall seemingly isn’t fully confident that OC Bruce Arians is taking Art Rooney’s request to heart.

"It's tough to say right now because we're just trying to get back into things and I think our offense will form into shape as we get closer to camp. As a running back, you want the ball in your hands; you want to run the ball. That doesn't seem to be our focus. But whatever we're called to do, however this offense is formed and shaped, we'll be willing to do that."

Reminiscent of a similar request made by Willie Parker a few years back, which fell on deaf ears.

Rashard Mendenhall also made it clear that he would like to be running behind a fullback as the lead blocker this season, as opposed to a tight end.

Like all running backs, he would love to have a fullback slamming into the line to create some holes for him; although, it is well documented that OC Bruce Arians does not prefer to use fullbacks in his offense.

That is what makes the usually soft-spoken Mendenhall and his comments all the more intriguing.

“As a running back you want a fullback,” Mendenhall said. “A fullback is another set of eyes in the backfield; they kind of read and feel through things that receivers and tight ends don't normally do, so as a running back you want that.

“ (Fullbacks) being ball carriers they know what you’re trying to do, they know where you’re trying to go and they can get there before you so a lot of times the fullback will end up at the same place after reading a play.”

Such a statement makes Frank “The Tank” Summers an intriguing player to watch for as well as newly acquired Demetrius Taylor, a 6', 275 lb player out of Virginia Tech who has played fullback in the past.

If either can prove to the coaches that they can block like a fullback, it might persuade Arians to use the fullback more in the offense.

Stranger things have happened, I suppose.

Apparently not seeing the run stressed enough thus far, is this Rashard’s way of reminding Bruce where his focus is supposed to be this season?

The real question is: why in the world would the Steelers pick up an offensive coordinator who failed in Cleveland with an unbalanced offense that was known for its predictability? He has brought that very same pass-first offense here, to a city known for its running!

Goes to show you apparently cannot teach an old dog new tricks, if that is what the Steeler braintrust was thinking. But that is the makings of an entirely different article.

In the end, the only thing I see changing Arian's mind on this issue is Art Rooney and the fact that he can very well lose his job if the running game is not successful this season, as he is in his final year of his contract.

Here's hoping we see a return to the smash mouth running that was once a trademark of our team.

stillers4me
05-30-2010, 09:30 AM
And let the games begin..........:chuckle:

solardave
05-30-2010, 09:36 AM
It will be interesting to see if we do in fact run more or if they fire BA by mid season. If we don't run effectively don't be surprised to see him fired this year. We have other partners now that can sway the Rooneys.I think we are starting to see a different slant to how the FO does business. Look at the return of Foote, Mac and ARE. This is not characteristic of the FO in the past. The times they are a changin'.

salamander
05-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Fire Arians and run the damn ball!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

polamalubeast
05-30-2010, 10:59 AM
:toofunny:

focosteeler
05-30-2010, 11:04 AM
nothing would make me happier at the beginning of this season than to see Taylor put some linebacker on his back while Mendy breaks off a 50 yard TD run

polamalubeast
05-30-2010, 11:11 AM
nothing would make me happier at the beginning of this season than to see Taylor put some linebacker on his back while Mendy breaks off a 50 yard TD run

or TD for Isacc "red zone" Redman:pop2:

SteelerFanInStl
05-30-2010, 11:39 AM
I'd love to see Mendy have 1,500+ yards rushing this year.

Psycho Ward 86
05-30-2010, 11:51 AM

Are we seriously comparing Redman's suddeness and glide with this Taylor punk?

solardave
05-31-2010, 12:11 PM
I'd love to see Mendy have 1,500+ yards rushing this year.

If he stays healthy who is gonna stop him? I just want to see him run Ray Looser over on his way to the endzone. That would be great!

smokin3000gt
05-31-2010, 12:36 PM
I think we'll definitely see more running this year then last year. Especially after the hard-on mendy gave us all last year! SHWING!

kmsteelerwr15
05-31-2010, 12:58 PM
I think we'll definitely see more running this year then last year. Especially after the hard-on mendy gave us all last year! SHWING!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ILCIOCop1l4/SaL--iE8drI/AAAAAAAABEg/rPU-MOknoMQ/s400/schwing.jpg

pepsyman1
05-31-2010, 01:19 PM

Hey HomeTownGal, just like being home! You start your own forum and your favorite argument is up and running within 2 days!!! LOL

:chuckle:

GoSlash27
05-31-2010, 01:34 PM
http://www.valuemd.com/attachments/residency-match-forum/10867d1252341557-paying-homage-rokshana-erik_estrada.jpg
West Coast offense is gayer than Tim Lumber.

Chidi29
05-31-2010, 08:56 PM
Oh, I think I'm going to like it here.

steel9guy
05-31-2010, 10:32 PM
http://www.valuemd.com/attachments/residency-match-forum/10867d1252341557-paying-homage-rokshana-erik_estrada.jpg
West Coast offense is gayer than Tim Lumber.

wow lol. This forum is already great and hillarius. and btw Run the ball.

steelerrob
06-01-2010, 12:31 AM
I just watched the AFC wild card game vs the Bungles leading up to XL.....RUN THE BALL!!!! But a few nice gadget plays here & there will also help to confuse....

ricardisimo
06-01-2010, 12:48 AM
I just watched the AFC wild card game vs the Bungles leading up to XL.....RUN THE BALL!!!! But a few nice gadget plays here & there will also help to confuse....

You must miss Bill Cowher something fierce.
:Cry:

GoSlash27
06-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Are we seriously comparing Redman's suddeness and glide with this Taylor punk?

:uhoh: It starts...

Dino 6 Rings
06-01-2010, 12:04 PM
So is it? Is the official Bash Bruce Thread !!!

:tongue1: I'M SO HAPPY IF IT IS!

Oh wait, no, that would have to have the name Official Bash Bruce Thread wouldn't it. :rofl2:

So like...um...Run the BALL

NBBFers For LIFE!!!

Steelerfreak58
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
If BA doesn't put more emphasis on running I am sure the Rooney's wont have a problem with giving him his walking papers that is of course really dependent on what the team does over all in the season. I don't think the Rooney's are going to accept missing another playoff season.

suitanim
06-01-2010, 03:52 PM
So many explosive keywords dropped in that mediocre article...it's got to get the very average intellect of many posters all fired up and lining up their same old lame and stupid arguments all over again.

Welcome to the new board, just like the old board...