PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Team Pass Protection Rankings, Part 1(steelers 32nd)

polamalubeast
06-14-2011, 05:37 PM
32. Pittsburgh Steelers (2.22)

Just how did a team with the worst pass protection in the league get to the Super Bowl? Some of it comes down to the quarterback. Ben Roethlisberger isn’t afraid of holding onto the ball a bit longer, and understandably so with him being one of the best in the league at dealing with pressure (our fourth highest grade in this respect). The big problem is an offensive line that couldn’t overcome injuries, with every player having a negative grade in pass protection. It doesn’t look like Willie Colon will return, but if Max Starks is healthy that will help out somewhat.

Pressure Per Play Rank: 32nd

Sack % of Pressure Rank: 27th

Average Number of Blockers Per Play Rank: 17th

read more

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/09/team-pass-protection-rankings-part-1/

Count Steeler
06-14-2011, 06:35 PM
32. Pittsburgh Steelers (2.22)

Just how did a team with the worst pass protection in the league get to the Super Bowl? Some of it comes down to the quarterback. Ben Roethlisberger isn’t afraid of holding onto the ball a bit longer, and understandably so with him being one of the best in the league at dealing with pressure (our fourth highest grade in this respect). The big problem is an offensive line that couldn’t overcome injuries, with every player having a negative grade in pass protection. It doesn’t look like Willie Colon will return, but if Max Starks is healthy that will help out somewhat.

Pressure Per Play Rank: 32nd

Sack % of Pressure Rank: 27th

Average Number of Blockers Per Play Rank: 17th

read more

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/09/team-pass-protection-rankings-part-1/

Anybody here surprised?

SteelerEmpire
06-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Anybody here surprised?

I'd say each of those rankings are accurate plus or minus 5 spots...

suitanim
06-15-2011, 11:29 AM
So we have the worst OL AND the worst OC? Hmmmmmmmmm.........

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Kind of a simple formula that was used. Pressure per play could be a result of a QB that does or does not get rid of the ball quickly. My guess is that the Saints and Colts are in the top 3, which says more of the QB throwing quickly and avoiding pressure than the D line getting to them.

Kind of like the NFL team cheerleader hotness ranking being calculated as chest size x # of cheerleaders. It could mean that a team with 40 Kirsty Ally's ranks higher than a squad of 20 Jessica Alba's. Its flawed.

ALLD
06-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Kind of a simple formula that was used. Pressure per play could be a result of a QB that does or does not get rid of the ball quickly. My guess is that the Saints and Colts are in the top 3, which says more of the QB throwing quickly and avoiding pressure than the D line getting to them.

Kind of like the NFL team cheerleader hotness ranking being calculated as chest size x # of cheerleaders. It could mean that a team with 40 Kirsty Ally's ranks higher than a squad of 20 Jessica Alba's. Its flawed.

The criteria may be flawed, but it does not overshadow a very pourous OL nevertheless.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-15-2011, 06:20 PM
The criteria may be flawed, but it does not overshadow a very pourous OL nevertheless.

Everybody knows the line was banged up last year, but even if Max Starks, Willie Colon started at OT all 16 games and Trai Essex was at RG, they still would give up sacks and pressures because Ben likes to hold onto the football. They may only rank 30th on this list.

If the Steelers traded for the New Orleans Saints O-line, they would still probably rank around 25th on this list.

SteelGhost
06-15-2011, 06:38 PM
So we have the worst OL AND the worst OC? Hmmmmmmmmm.........

... and and overrated QB ... :chuckle:

suitanim
06-16-2011, 09:11 AM
This is one of those things where you can be subjective, and say it's flawed and they may rank higher, and you can be OBJECTIVE and say they may rank higher...

Or you can use the empirical evidence before you, and simply accept the facts that your eyes tell you from watching every down of every game, that the Steelers offensive line is the worst pass blocking in the NFL, is a mediocre run blocking unit, is probably in the 5 bottom OL units in the league overall, and EASILY the worst to ever play in a SB.

Psycho Ward 86
06-18-2011, 02:51 PM
who are the 3 qb's ahead of ben in dealing with pressure

zulater
06-18-2011, 05:45 PM
They have Pouncey ranked as a pretty mediocre pass protector for last season. While that may be true to a point, rookie mistakes and such, I don't think he was nearly as bad as they portray. I think with a center you've got to account for the guards that surround him, and with all the mistakes that Kemo and the right guard du'jour were making around Maurkice all season I think his trying to clean up their respective mess accounted for a lot of his own missed assignments. I know going into next season there's not another center in the NFL I'd take over Maurkice, and I think most of the smarter people in the league think similiarly.