PDA

View Full Version : Steelers unleash big-play offense

SteelerSal
06-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Steelers unleash big-play offense
By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest

1978 AFC Divisional Playoff

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/playoff%20recaps/77_DEN2_Bradshaw_5.jpg

Another in a series of stories chronicling the 52 playoff games in Steelers history.

The Steelers had to be tickled that 1977 was over, because the playing field where they had their most consistent success was the one where the major players were lawyers. Ernie Holmes was acquitted of cocaine possession charges; Chuck Noll was cleared of charges brought by George Atkinson over the “criminal element” remarks; and Mel Blount dropped his defamation lawsuit against Noll for including him in the “criminal element,” which had happened under questioning by Atkinson’s lawyer.

All of that contributed to an unsettled environment in the Steelers’ locker room, and throughout the season it became clear the team had lost its singular focus. Jack Lambert held out. Mel Blount held out. Glen Edwards, Jimmy Allen, Ernie Holmes all moaned about money. Guys walked out during the season, and in some cases Noll relented and took them back.

But times were about to change. read more... (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-unleash-big-play-offense/88389600-add3-4c64-bae6-f64f0e9cc21b)

salamander
06-14-2011, 12:28 PM
As long as they didn't unleash hell.....

In all seriousness, I really enjoy reading that. I wish I was around to see the Steelers teams of the '70s.

SteelerSal
06-14-2011, 12:52 PM
As long as they didn't unleash hell.....

In all seriousness, I really enjoy reading that. I wish I was around to see the Steelers teams of the '70s.

You missed something truly special...

Count Steeler
06-14-2011, 03:48 PM
You missed something truly special...

Perhaps never to be repeated. They had a legitimate shot at 5 Super Bowls in 6 years. They ended up winning 4. If the offense remained healthy in 76, we would be looking forward to number 8 this year.

Craic
06-14-2011, 03:56 PM
The funny thing is, change a few names in that article, and you have the team of the last few years.

Supporting the pass, no longer worried as much about the run as before.
LB's who are somewhat slighted at times.
A QB that doesn't get his deserved respect.
WR's that can make the big plays every time they touch the ball.
A person on the O line that made waves and was gone over money (Big Red).
A TE that was being used as a WR as well as a blocker.
I have to wonder, if we go back and look, just how often did they line up in the I formation those last two seasons?
People complaining about the team not running enough.
Winning games, yet "Big Questions" still remain simply because we aren't blowing teams out.
The defense having to pick up the offense in the middle of the season.
The offense winning games at other times, but not getting much credit for it (Again, see "Big Question").