PDA

View Full Version : Poll Friday: Best RB in AFC North?

polamalubeast
06-10-2011, 07:11 PM
We have another interesting "Poll Friday" question, and this week it focuses on the running game.

The question: Who is the best running back in the AFC North? There are four good choices, and all rushed for more than 1,000 yards last season.

Is Ray Rice of the Baltimore Ravens the No. 1 tailback in the AFC North? Rice is one of the most versatile and dynamic offensive players in the NFL and is a threat in the running and passing games for Baltimore. Rice already has been to one Pro Bowl in three seasons.

Or is it Rashard Mendenhall of the Pittsburgh Steelers? Mendenhall's running added balance to Pittsburgh's offense and helped the team get to the Super Bowl last season. Mendenhall also improved his toughness in the red zone and between the tackles by scoring a career-high 13 touchdowns last season.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/28395/poll-friday-best-rb-in-afc-north

Right now

Ray Rice:32%

Rashard Mendenhall:33%

Peyton Hillis:29%

Cedric Benson:6%

fansince'76
06-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Hate to say it, but at this point I'd take Rice over Mendenhall.

steeldawg
06-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Really? Why?

HometownGal
06-10-2011, 07:48 PM
I think at this point in their careers, they are pretty much even as far as versatility and sheer rushing power go. :noidea:

fansince'76
06-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Really? Why?

Mendenhall still seems tentative to me at times. Thankfully, those times have been steadily decreasing.

Texasteel
06-10-2011, 08:02 PM

I think Rice is a little more versatile. How ever I think the gap is small enough that I will go with who I think is better in the running game, Mendenhall.

st33lersguy
06-10-2011, 08:26 PM
I lean towards Ray Rice, I am not ready to put Mendenhall ahead of Rice yet

X-Terminator
06-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Rice over Mendy for me as well.

Psycho Ward 86
06-10-2011, 09:56 PM
I think at this point in their careers, they are pretty much even as far as versatility and sheer rushing power go. :noidea:

Not even close in that aspect

Count Steeler
06-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Rice over Mendy. Rice faces our defense twice a year. Mendy only has to face the Ratbirds.

steeldevil
06-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Hate to say it, but Rice is a GREAT receiving back...

Steeldude
06-11-2011, 02:07 AM

agree

Steeldude
06-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Mendenhall still seems tentative to me at times. Thankfully, those times have been steadily decreasing.

agree again. he's not as bad as he was when he first entered the NFL. yep, let's hope his shyness fades away with each carry

Galax Steeler
06-11-2011, 04:41 AM
I think Rice is better right now but it seems like Mendy is improving everyday.

HometownGal
06-11-2011, 06:05 AM
Not even close in that aspect

We'll have to agree to disagree.

ALLD
06-11-2011, 06:59 AM
By the time Mendy rises to elite status, his wheels will be worn off. He still runs too high which causes him to fumble. He is a better blocker and bigger target though.

JayC
06-11-2011, 07:23 AM
rice for sure but mendy isn't far behind

SteelerFanInStl
06-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Rice is more versatile but a lot of that is because of the way that the Ravens use him. Mendy is very capable at catching the ball out of the backfield but we just don't use him enough for that. You can't argue with Rice's production but I'll still take Mendy in our offense. He's just going to keep getting better.

Nadroj 20
06-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Hate to say it, but Rice is a GREAT receiving back...

This.

I love Mendenhall, but as of now Rice is more of a dual threat.

I don't know if I would trade Mendenhall for Rice, that is a tough subject, but Rice definitly has my respect as a RB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-12-2011, 12:02 AM
I give Rice the slight edge at this point.

Interesting thing to see is if the fact that Ray Rice had 910 rushing attempts in college, while Mendenhall had 388....does that extra mileage on Rice catch up to him sooner in his career than Mendenhall?

zulater
06-12-2011, 04:47 AM
I find it curious that no one uses the offensive line as a defense for Mendy? I mean if the subject were Ben in comparison to another qb I'm sure it would have come up by now, so why not for Mendenhall?

Count Steeler
06-12-2011, 08:33 AM
I find it curious that no one uses the offensive line as a defense for Mendy? I mean if the subject were Ben in comparison to another qb I'm sure it would have come up by now, so why not for Mendenhall?

Don't know that a better O line would help in Mendy's catching ability. The receiving is what seems to differentiate Rice and Mendy in this discussion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-12-2011, 09:40 AM

Honestly, from a run blocking standpoint, the Steelers O-line is pretty good. I think that most could agree that guys like Kemo, Pouncey, Colon, Flozell Adams, Hartwig, Starks, are decent enough run blockers that he has had the past couple seasons.

You could make an arguement that the O line has been injured a lot recently and Mendenhall has had to deal with that...but you could also argue he has one of the best blocking TE's in Miller, when the offense actually chooses to run the ball.

I dont think the O line is as big of a crutch in running the ball. Maybe we can agree that RG spot with Essex, Foster, Legursky hasnt been solid running the ball.

steeldawg
06-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Rice is more versatile but a lot of that is because of the way that the Ravens use him. Mendy is very capable at catching the ball out of the backfield but we just don't use him enough for that. You can't argue with Rice's production but I'll still take Mendy in our offense. He's just going to keep getting better.

Well put, if i was putting together a team and the choices were mendy or rice i take mendy.

steelerdude15
06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
I would take Rice over Mendy. I feel that the two have different running styles, Mendy seems to be a more physical, aggressive back while Rice is a dual threat that is a little more flashy and can juke well.

SteelGhost
06-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Yep, at this point I think Rice is slightly better than Rashard, on the other hand Hillis is freaking awesome, he has made a great job in that poor team he plays for.