PDA

View Full Version : Former Steeler running back Johnson dies

stillers4me
06-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Former Steelers running back and coach Dick Hoak considers himself fortunate to have spent five seasons in the same backfield as John Henry Johnson.

"John was a great player. He was probably the best blocking fullback that there was at the time. He may have been one of the best I've ever seen," Hoak said. "Boy, he was fast enough that he could play in today's game."

Johnson, the bruising Hall of Fame runner who once held the Steelers' career rushing title, died Friday in Tracy, Calif. He was 81.

Johnson played fullback for the Steelers from 1960-65, and his 4,383 rushing yards led the franchise until another Hall of Famer, Franco Harris, shattered it in the 1970s. Johnson's total still ranks fourth on the team's all-time rushing list.

During his final five seasons with the Steelers, Johnson was part of an offense that included Hoak, who was 10 years younger than his more celebrated teammate................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_740522.html

Galax Steeler
06-05-2011, 03:34 PM
R.I.P Johnson