PDA

View Full Version : Madness in the stands- taken from Gerela's Gorillas Group

SteelerSal
06-03-2011, 10:31 AM
I found this over on Roy Gerela's facebook group called "Gerela's Gorillas" (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=33333097667) and found the info pretty interesting and wanted to share it...alot of it you might know and some of it you might not...enjoy.

Madness in the stands

Darwinism of a sort has a niche in Steelers history because Steelermania evolved from a primate. Well, actually, it evolved from a guy wearing a gorilla suit -- Bob Bubanic of Port Vue, who introduced the world to Gerela's Gorillas, a fan club dedicated to a soccer-style kicker claimed off waivers for $100 in 1971.

He and his pals first rented the monkey suit for $60 a game, then held a raffle to buy it outright for $250. They showed up every Sunday to cheer Roy Gerela and to jinx opposing kickers.

"Yes, I felt like I was part of the team and that. We all did," said Mr. Bubanic. "It was a lot of fun."

All kinds of fans went ape over the Steelers.

Thaddeus Majzer, also from Port Vue, saw Hall of Fame potential in a new linebacker. Beginning in 1971, he hung a sign that said Dobre Shunka, which means Good Ham in Slovak.

As he watched Jack Ham and the Steelers grow into a team without peer, Mr. Majzer would remind his friends: "Enjoy this while it lasts. You'll never see another football team this good."

In 1972, Tony Stagno and Al Vento brought forth Franco's Italian Army and the battle cry "Run, Paisano, Run!" Their ranks were later graced with the enlistment of Ol' Blue Eyes himself, Frank Sinatra.

Frenchy's Foreign Legion honored running back John Fuqua, whose sartorial splendor included purple suits and platform shoes displaying live goldfish. Ernie Holmes, part of the Steel Curtain front four that made the cover of Time magazine, shaved his hair in the shape of an arrow to point him toward the opposing quarterback.

The Steelers touched some deep emotional chord that stirred a personal creative energy in a diverse ethnic population that had been hungering for a winner.

A Greek showman named Jimmy Pol merged the melody of the Pennsylvania Polka with his own lyrics. That 45 rpm record became the anthem: "We're from the town with the good football team..." The original version included references to the Gorillas and the Army.

Harold Betters and his jazz band serenaded fans at games. His trombone provided the sound track to the chant, "Here We Go, Steelers, Here We Go."

To top it all off, Myron Cope, the wordsmith whose schtick was that of the Yiddish yinzer, turned terry cloth into a trademark with the Terrible Towel.

One all-encompassing banner created back then now graces Heinz Field. It is a proclamation and a warning: You're In Steeler Country.

steeldevil
06-03-2011, 10:38 AM
I have a "You're in Steelers Country" banner. I bought it for the Super Bowl. Maybe I shouldn't use it anymore? :noidea: