PDA

View Full Version : Bengals-turned-Steelers fan responds

stillers4me
06-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Last week former Cincinnati Bengals (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals) fan Brett Kostoff caused a tizzy in the AFC North blog after we updated his story (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/28012/former-bengals-fan-joins-steeler-nation) on changing allegiances to the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers). Fed up with the Bengals' losing ways, Kostoff sold his fandom on eBay for $510 and is now a card-carrying member of Steeler Nation.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nfl/med/trans/pit.gifhttp://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nfl/med/trans/cin.gifKostoff received a lot of criticism from our community. So, in fairness, we asked Kostoff if he wanted to respond to the heat he's received. Here was his message...........

Read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/28184/bengals-turned-steelers-fan-responds

silver & black
06-01-2011, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE]"As far as never being a fan? I find it comical. Honestly, if you are/were a true fan for the past 20 seasons of the Bengals and haven't contemplated "What am I doing?" or "Why don't I just don't cheer for another team?" then you must not have been a true fan. [/QUO

Yeah... whatever. I'm a Raiders fan... f**k you! I would NEVER be a fan of another team, regardless of how much my team sucks, be it by "auction" or otherwise. Kiss my ass "fake fan"!!!

SteelerEmpire
06-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Wise choice by an older person who's obviously all grown up now... welcome aboard ...

Moose
06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Sorry, I'm not buying into this bull crap. If you don't want to follow the pathetic bungholes then don't, that's your choice. But to have a 'lotto' to decide what is going to be 'the team' he follows is azzinine. How can he be a true fan on a luck of draw situation ? He's not a STEELER FAN ! I guarantee if the bungholes win a few games in a row he will flip\flop. I'm not buying into it, he's not a fan in my eyes, he can wear the Black and Yellow if he wants ( that's his right), but he'll make Steeler fans look like morons to other fans because he doesn't know our history and he doesn't have our class. Just my opinion.

fansince'76
06-02-2011, 12:19 PM
http://www.nysportskvetch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/bandwagon.jpg

:chuckle:

HometownGal
06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
I would NEVER be a fan of another team, regardless of how much my team sucks, be it by "auction" or otherwise. Kiss my ass "fake fan"!!!

I'm with you s&b. I love and support my teams through thick and thin, good seasons and bad. The Steelers of the 80's were nothing to write home about but I never lost my faith in them or even thought about "selling my fandom". This guy obviously has no idea of what being a true fan is.

Go back to being a Bungles fan, shitwad - we don't want you.

tube517
06-02-2011, 01:45 PM
:yawn:

st33lersguy
06-02-2011, 03:36 PM
I invest a lot of time and money into the organization that I cheer for and 20 years of never seeing a playoff win was enough for me to take my money and loyalty elsewhere.

He could have just cancelled his season ticket and just watched the games on TV. All that costs is a TV Bill.

Moose
06-02-2011, 06:59 PM
st33lersguy- I agree 100%. But then we have to remember we are dealing with 'bunghole' mentality. I don't want him around either, it took him this long to realize he's been bungholized, therefore he's no football fan, doesn't understand football, and isn't a good fan for any team. He should just spend Sunday's raking leaves, shoveling snow, or going to the mall with wife. LOL.

pepsyman1
06-03-2011, 02:43 AM
I think you guys are being overly harsh on this guy. How long do you stay committed to ANY relationship where you are the only one putting in effort. This guy was a season ticket holder, was a devoted fan for better than two decades, saw the very rare good and monumental bad and his decision wasn't made simply because his team was bad, but rather the fact that the ownership of the team DOESN'T CARE that it's bad. It hasn't made any real effort to change it. Why do we watch football in the first place? We watch it because we enjoy the sport and want to be able to root proudly for our team. ALL of us PICKED a team to root for at some point as we became fans. I don't live in Pittsburgh, I became a fan of Terry Bradshaw as a child when the Dolphins were the dominant team and the Steelers became my team. I'm grateful that it worked out that way...Even during the bad 80's and early 90's, I ALWAYS had belief in the organization. Does this poor guy have to be committed to that brutally bad organization for the rest of his life because of a choice he made when he was 12? LOL He seems to have a lot of respect for the way the Rooneys have run the Steelers, I don't think he's a bandwagon guy and I don't think you could pay this guy to go back to being a Bengals fan at this point even if they won the Superbowl next year. We tell people that Steelers Nation is taking over a stadium near them...aren't we allowed to take some prisoners when we leave? LOL My best friend is any Eagles fan...last year I was going to get him some really good Eagles tickets for his birthday and organize some of his other friends to get tickets to go along with. After getting aggravated with his lame Eagles "friends" he finally told me to get him Steelers tickets instead because every game he's gone to with me is always so much better an experience and Steelers fans make being in Pittsburgh for a game the best you could ask for. I say Steeler Nation always has room for another knowledgable, committed fan.

stillers4me
06-03-2011, 05:20 AM
I think you guys are being overly harsh on this guy. How long do you stay committed to ANY relationship where you are the only one putting in effort. This guy was a season ticket holder, was a devoted fan for better than two decades, saw the very rare good and monumental bad and his decision wasn't made simply because his team was bad, but rather the fact that the ownership of the team DOESN'T CARE that it's bad. It hasn't made any real effort to change it. Why do we watch football in the first place? We watch it because we enjoy the sport and want to be able to root proudly for our team. ALL of us PICKED a team to root for at some point as we became fans. I don't live in Pittsburgh, I became a fan of Terry Bradshaw as a child when the Dolphins were the dominant team and the Steelers became my team. I'm grateful that it worked out that way...Even during the bad 80's and early 90's, I ALWAYS had belief in the organization. Does this poor guy have to be committed to that brutally bad organization for the rest of his life because of a choice he made when he was 12? LOL He seems to have a lot of respect for the way the Rooneys have run the Steelers, I don't think he's a bandwagon guy and I don't think you could pay this guy to go back to being a Bengals fan at this point even if they won the Superbowl next year. We tell people that Steelers Nation is taking over a stadium near them...aren't we allowed to take some prisoners when we leave? LOL My best friend is any Eagles fan...last year I was going to get him some really good Eagles tickets for his birthday and organize some of his other friends to get tickets to go along with. After getting aggravated with his lame Eagles "friends" he finally told me to get him Steelers tickets instead because every game he's gone to with me is always so much better an experience and Steelers fans make being in Pittsburgh for a game the best you could ask for. I say Steeler Nation always has room for another knowledgable, committed fan.

Great post! :drink:

Burghfan58
06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
I don't blame him a bit for dumping the Bungholes. They are destined for another 20+ years of futility. Who in the hell can put up with that year in and out. At least when the Black and Gold have a down year or two we know they will bounce back with a strong effort. As for him becoming a Steelers fan.....Check back in 25 years or so and let us check your loyalty.

pepsyman1
06-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I don't blame him a bit for dumping the Bungholes. They are destined for another 20+ years of futility. Who in the hell can put up with that year in and out. At least when the Black and Gold have a down year or two we know they will bounce back with a strong effort. As for him becoming a Steelers fan.....Check back in 25 years or so and let us check your loyalty.

I'm sure the Bungles will luck there way to a decent season somewhere over this next decade...lol All we have to do is check then to see who he's rooting for. lol

PalmerSteel
06-03-2011, 11:08 AM
we have never had to deal with it and hopefully never will but there is one thing that could possibly change a true fan's mind: a team being sold and new ownership is horrific for many many years (bungals case) and/or taken to a new city (will never happen with the steelers). i see his point.......a little bit. we never have and probably never will have to worry about the core of a team: its ownership's values.

SteelerEmpire
06-03-2011, 11:44 AM

Yep. That's how I feel as well. My lil brother was a devoted Cowboys fan all his life and last year he converted to the black and gold. He didn't even tell me until I just happened to drive through his neighborhood and saw him with a Heath Miller jersey on. Now every other time I see him he has some sort of Steeler insignia on... so BAM !!! Another Steeler victory ! lol...

Butch
06-03-2011, 12:57 PM
My only problem is that someone had to buy his loyalty?!?!?! I was a bandwagon fan back in the 70's and have been with the Steelers ever since so I don't care if a person decides to join on with us, but to have to buy the support is another thing entirely. That is something I would suspect a cryboys fan to do not a True Blue Collar Steeler fan!!! As someone else has already pointed out lets see where his loyalties lie when the bungles luck into another good season down the road.

If he converts back to being a bungle MEH no big loss and if he stays then good on him. Either way I really don't care there are plenty of us Steeler fans in this Universe!!!

steeldawg
06-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I dont understand any of this......I was born a steelers fan and will die a steelers fan.....could not fathom rooting for another team.

pepsyman1
06-03-2011, 03:59 PM
I dont understand any of this......I was born a steelers fan and will die a steelers fan.....could not fathom rooting for another team.

If you had born around Detroit and your whole family were Lions fans, would that make it easier to understand? LOL

steeldawg
06-03-2011, 07:23 PM
If you had born around Detroit and your whole family were Lions fans, would that make it easier to understand? LOL

Nope im also a die hard Pirates fan!

SMR
06-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Most excellent post, sir!! That is EXACTLY how I feel. I wanted to say something to that effect but you beat me to it. Thanks man, lol. I do believe some of us are being too harsh with the guy, and we should welcome him for "opening his eyes" and give him a chance to feel good rooting for a great football franchise. A guy is allowed to switch to be happy for a chance. Better late than never!!

I'd rather welcome a "changed" fan and be commended for being a classy fan instead of harping the guy and making him feel lousy. We should be willing and HAPPY to accept converts, seriously! That would be a classy move, IMO. :tt03::tt03::tt03:

pepsyman1
06-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Nope im also a die hard Pirates fan!

I've seen the Pirates win championships in my lifetime....lol When was the last time the Lions won anything?

pepsyman1
06-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Most excellent post, sir!! That is EXACTLY how I feel. I wanted to say something to that effect but you beat me to it. Thanks man, lol. I do believe some of us are being too harsh with the guy, and we should welcome him for "opening his eyes" and give him a chance to feel good rooting for a great football franchise. A guy is allowed to switch to be happy for a chance. Better late than never!!

I'd rather welcome a "changed" fan and be commended for being a classy fan instead of harping the guy and making him feel lousy. We should be willing and HAPPY to accept converts, seriously! That would be a classy move, IMO. :tt03::tt03::tt03:

I'm with you...now we have to get him signed up here on SU so we can properly educate him and make sure he stays on the straight and narrow if he's now gonna represent the Black and Gold out in Cinci...lol

SMR
06-03-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm with you...now we have to get him signed up here on SU so we can properly educate him and make sure he stays on the straight and narrow if he's now gonna represent the Black and Gold out in Cinci...lol

Dat's right brotha!!

:tt02::tt02:

X-Terminator
06-03-2011, 08:47 PM

I can understand that, but at the same time, I am a Pirates fan. They have not had a winning season since I was in high school and currently have management that's on par with Mike Brown or worse. I have a vow not to spend once red cent at PNC Park so long as Baghdad Bob Nutting continues to put garbage on the field in order to make a profit. But I will never root for another team. It's called loyalty, and this fake "Steelers fan" clearly has none. Win or lose, you root for your team until the day you're pushing up daisies.

SMR
06-03-2011, 09:09 PM
I can understand that, but at the same time, I am a Pirates fan. They have not had a winning season since I was in high school and currently have management that's on par with Mike Brown or worse. I have a vow not to spend once red cent at PNC Park so long as Baghdad Bob Nutting continues to put garbage on the field in order to make a profit. But I will never root for another team. It's called loyalty, and this fake "Steelers fan" clearly has none. Win or lose, you root for your team until the day you're pushing up daisies.

I do understand your post and DO respect that, but I believe people are allowed to change allegiance without having to be "crucified" for it before their deathbed (yes a bit of drama on my part here, lol). Especially from being miserable as a Bunghole fan to becoming a happy (for once) Steelers fan. LOL. Just saying'. I know we can agree to disagree.

pepsyman1
06-03-2011, 09:51 PM

I can also understand your viewpoint and I don't know how big a baseball fan you are. If you are a big fan of baseball, how much enjoyment do you get out of watching the game when your team is so committed to NOT being able to compete? At what point do you stop even caring because their isn't any enjoyment? We watch sports and root for our teams for enjoyment and comradery with others. I could never root for anyone but the Steelers, but the Steelers have given back to me...they never abandoned the fans they play for. I wouldn't hold it against anyone rooting for the Pirates to find another team (or even just stop watching til a new owner enters the mix)

steeldawg
06-04-2011, 07:57 AM
I can also understand your viewpoint and I don't know how big a baseball fan you are. If you are a big fan of baseball, how much enjoyment do you get out of watching the game when your team is so committed to NOT being able to compete? At what point do you stop even caring because their isn't any enjoyment? We watch sports and root for our teams for enjoyment and comradery with others. I could never root for anyone but the Steelers, but the Steelers have given back to me...they never abandoned the fans they play for. I wouldn't hold it against anyone rooting for the Pirates to find another team (or even just stop watching til a new owner enters the mix)

Sorry but my being a fan of teams from Pittsburgh goes well beyond wins and losses. Im a huge baseball fan and to tell you the truth the pirates this year are not that bad alot of good young talent. I dont get this if the team is losing you find another team til they start winning again, thats called a bandwagon fan :yuck2:

stillers4me
06-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Sorry but my being a fan of teams from Pittsburgh goes well beyond wins and losses. Im a huge baseball fan and to tell you the truth the pirates this year are not that bad alot of good young talent. I dont get this if the team is losing you find another team til they start winning again, thats called a bandwagon fan :yuck2:

I see that all the time hear in cinci, but I'm telling you, I talk to more and more fans that are totally disgusted with them. This is more than a few down years for them. It's status qo to be subpar and they are fed up. It's only bandwagon when they jump back on after a few wins, which most of them will, but I have a feeling this guy has burned the bridge. More and more of them are.

steeldawg
06-04-2011, 08:09 AM
I see that all the time hear in cinci, but I'm telling you, I talk to more and more fans that are totally disgusted with them. This is more than a few down years for them. It's status qo to be subpar and they are fed up. It's only bandwagon when they jump back on after a few wins, which most of them will, but I have a feeling this guy has burned the bridge. More and more of them are.

The year before last they won the division (undefeated in division) and made the playoffs. They had a great draft and have been putting talent on the field I dont buy that.

SMR
06-04-2011, 08:22 AM

Good point.

SMR
06-04-2011, 08:24 AM
The year before last they won the division (undefeated in division) and made the playoffs. They had a great draft and have been putting talent on the field I dont buy that.

Sure they won the division that year but we're talking the overall picture- the history of the Bengals. They made have had a FEW good years but they come crashing down all too often and alot of the Bunghole fans are getting more and more fed up. Man, their front office sucks big time!

steeldawg
06-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Sure they won the division that year but we're talking the overall picture- the history of the Bengals. They made have had a FEW good years but they come crashing down all too often and alot of the Bunghole fans are getting more and more fed up. Man, their front office sucks big time!

So i guess its time to switch to the team whos hot right now? We could lose everygame til the day I die and I would not even think about switching teams, its ridiculous. Its the defintion of bandwagon, a guy is switching to a team who is on top right now.

SMR
06-04-2011, 09:05 AM
So i guess its time to switch to the team whos hot right now? We could lose everygame til the day I die and I would not even think about switching teams, its ridiculous. Its the defintion of bandwagon, a guy is switching to a team who is on top right now.

Freedom of choice my friend.

God bless America!

:yup:

steeldawg
06-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Freedom of choice my friend.

God bless America!

:yup:

Oh ya hes free to do it but he will never be a true steelers fan in my eyes :yup:

SMR
06-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Oh ya hes free to do it but he will never be a true steelers fan in my eyes :yup:

Really I don't think he cares about your skepticism (which I do understand) but rather about his happiness. A guy/girl is allowed to root for whomever they wish and to be happy about it.

silver & black
06-04-2011, 09:21 AM
This is the last I will comment on this thread, for no other reason than there isn't much left to say that hasn't been said. All good responses, too.

Some of you can identify with this guy; some of you, like me, can't. I do understand being disgusted with your team :wink02:. I'm a fan of a team that has gone drastically downhill over the last decade. Yes... I've experienced much success over the last 43 years with the Raiders, but that doesn't help right now.

Should I pick another team because the Raiders aren't good right now? It sure hasn't been much fun the last eight years! :no:

We are the laughingstock of the league. We drafted one of the biggest busts in NFL history. We drafted a WR that can't catch a ball. We have an owner that thinks he can win with 1970's schemes, even though the rest of the league has progressed past that. We have an owner that thinks "track stars" are football players. We have an owner that thinks he's a better coach than anyone he hires to "coach". We have an owner that thinks coaches are not that importent to winning... they are just for blaming when they can't win with his outdated shcemes. We have an owner that moved his team to another city... and back again. This "move" brought a perception that all Raiders fans are thugs and gang bangers because the colors and logo were taken up by L.A. gangs; it is far from the truth, but we have to live with it, regardless. There is much more I could cite, but you get the jist of it.

... And still... I could not, would not, and never will root for another team! So, I really can't identify with this guy at all. To me, he sounds like a quitter... someone who has no grit, no intestinal fortitude to see a grim situation through untill it changes for the better. I wonder if that trait carries through into his daily life? :scratchchin:

Win, lose or tie... Raiders till I die! :tt03:

SMR
06-04-2011, 09:24 AM
This is the last I will comment on this thread, for no other reason than there isn't much left to say that hasn't been said. All good responses, too.

Some of you can identify with this guy; some of you, like me, can't. I do understand being disgusted with your team :wink02:. I'm a fan of a team that has gone drastically downhill over the last decade. Yes... I've experienced much success over the last 43 years with the Raiders, but that doesn't help right now.

Should I pick another team because the Raiders aren't good right now? It sure hasn't been much fun the last eight years! :no:

We are the laughingstock of the league. We drafted one of the biggest busts in NFL history. We drafted a WR that can't catch a ball. We have an owner that thinks he can win with 1970's schemes, even though the rest of the league has progressed past that. We have an owner that thinks "track stars" are football players. We have an owner that thinks he's a better coach than anyone he hires to "coach". We have an owner that thinks coaches are not that importent to winning... they are just for blaming when they can't win with his outdated shcemes. We have an owner that moved his team to another city... and back again. This "move" brought a perception that all Raiders fans are thugs and gang bangers because the colors and logo were taken up by L.A. gangs; it is far from the truth, but we have to live with it, regardless. There is much more I could cite, but you get the jist of it.

... And still... I could not, would not, and never will root for another team! So, I really can't identify with this guy at all. To me, he sounds like a quitter... someone who has no grit, no intestinal fortitude to see a grim situation through untill it changes for the better. I wonder if that trait carries through into his daily life? :scratchchin:

Win, lose or tie... Raiders till I die! :tt03:

Good post. Its nice that we can agree to disagree and THAT makes it cool. Kudos..... :drink::tt03:

zulater
06-09-2011, 11:03 AM
I don't care if a person changes teams. Not my bag, but to each their own. But how the hell do you sell your allegiance, and who the hell is buying? I didn't read the OP's link ( I will later when I have time, maybe) but my cynisism over this whole thing is about going public with it. You want to change fine, but making a public issue of it is nothing more than grandstanding and makes me think the entire affair is staged and insincere.

By the way on a seperate but related issue that's been touched upon on this thread. I've been a die hard Pirate fan in the past. I grew up with the Clemente, Stargell, Oliver teams of yesteryear. I broke my hand punching a hole in my front door when Sid Bream scored from second to end the 92 NLCS. ( stupidest thing I've probably ever done in my life :doh: :chuckle: ) But I've suspended that fandom until such time that I'm convinced that the owners are in it for more than the money, and show a genuine effort to improve the team.