PDA

View Full Version : Jim Tressel Resigns

Nadroj 20
05-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Embattled coach Jim Tressel, two months after apologizing for fallout that resulted in suspensions for him and several of his players, has resigned from Ohio State.

"After meeting with university officials, we agreed that it is in the best interest of Ohio State that I resign as head football coach," Tressel said in a statement Monday morning. "The appreciation that Ellen and I have for the Buckeye Nation is immeasurable."

Entire Article Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6606999)

Hindes204
05-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Kinda saw this one coming

Nadroj 20
05-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Yeah it was just a matter of when.

Luke Fickell the assitant coach will take over as Head Coach for at least the upcoming season.

Good Luck Coach Fickell with what you have to deal with.

suitanim
05-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Urban Meyer, anyone?

(You heard it here second...Beano Cook beat me to it by like a day)

Nadroj 20
05-30-2011, 09:28 AM
I heard he is living in Columbus.

suitanim
05-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Oh, just so I don't sound like I just made this up...

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/7772-Suprised-this-isn-t-here....OSU-Football.

GitNoLuv
05-30-2011, 07:01 PM
I heard he is living in Columbus.

That's been the rumors around these parts by the local sports guys. It wouldn't surprise me if Urban Myer came here...but I am not sure I want the guy. He's cited health reasons for leaving Florida...and expectations here in Columbus are very high every year. If he can't handle Florida football, he can't handle OSU.

Hindes204
05-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Oh, just so I don't sound like I just made this up...

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/7772-Suprised-this-isn-t-here....OSU-Football.

Dude, youre psychic....thats pretty good. Do you live in Ohio, I dont remember. I figured Tressel was out, but didnt here anything about Meyer being a candidate. Maybe its because who gives a damn about ohio football, lol

86WARD
05-30-2011, 08:19 PM
lmao...see ya vest.

Nadroj 20
05-30-2011, 08:28 PM
That's been the rumors around these parts by the local sports guys. It wouldn't surprise me if Urban Myer came here...but I am not sure I want the guy. He's cited health reasons for leaving Florida...and expectations here in Columbus are very high every year. If he can't handle Florida football, he can't handle OSU.

Yes all the health issues makes it seem like he would not be interested, but I see it being a possibilty that he coached at OSU in 2012. Taking a year off will hopefully help those problems.

SteelCityMan786
05-30-2011, 08:39 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/711810/344z5ax.jpg

BigNastyDefense
05-30-2011, 08:57 PM
This was inevitable. He lied to the NCAA and now all this stuff is coming out about cars and other stuff, true or not.

In the end, the players know that they are breaking the rules and they make the choice. When you come to college, you are responsible for your own actions, you are no longer some high school kid.

I hope the Buckeyes decide to just kick the players who got any of these perks off of the team and rescinds their scholarships. They don't deserve to wear the Scarlet and Gray.

Good luck to Coach Fickel. If he wins 9-10 games (and beats scUM), I think they will remove the "interim" tag.

As for Urban Meyer.....he had a clause in all of his HC contracts that he could leave that job for Ohio State, Notre Dame, or Michigan without a buyout. And some rumors are that he left Florida for "medical reasons" not because of medical reasons but because he knew JT was going to retire (in like 2013) and this way there wouldn't be a mess with him leaving Florida for Ohio State.

However, during his tenure as Florida head coach...he had more players arrested than any other big program in major college football. So it's not like he's squeaky clean. Plus I hate the Gators and I wouldn't feel right with a former Florida HC walking the Buckeye sidelines.

suitanim
05-31-2011, 09:17 AM
As far as Meyer, he never said he'd never coach again. I also understand that his condition is one that can actually incrementally heal over time, so it could be that he's near 100% again by now, or next year.

As far as the thuggery, well, I don't know...most of the accusations leveled against those Gator players were later dismissed. Furthermore, whoever is elected to helm the Bucks in the future will have a VERY short leash. This is the blackest eye EVER for the OSU football program, and the University simply won't tolerate any further chicanery.

Finally, this is about hiring the very best coach available. Meyer clearly fits that bill. With OSU's marquee recruiting value, and Meyers coaching ability, if this happens, expect MULTIPLE national championships for the Buckeyes over the next 10-15 years.

The haters will see their reason to hate exponentially increased.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Meyer's Daughter Nicki was already tweeting about him and OSU over a month ago.

http://twitter.com/#!/Nicki_07/status/63013855776878592

I wonder if she is thinking he looks good in a sweater vest now that Tress is gone?

suitanim
05-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Meyer's Daughter Nicki was already tweeting about him and OSU over a month ago.

http://twitter.com/#!/Nicki_07/status/63013855776878592

I wonder if she is thinking he looks good in a sweater vest now that Tress is gone?

When I want to know what a man is thinking and planning, I always ask............................................his daughter. Via Twitter.

There is no more reliable source.

Well, MAYBE I ask his volunteer high school offensive line, or "The oracle" as I like to call those guys...

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Well, MAYBE I ask his volunteer high school offensive line, or "The oracle" as I like to call those guys...

You know it!! Like they say, it all starts up front on the O-line!! I bet Jim Bollman started the Urban rumor before Beano or Nicki Meyer.:eyebrows:

zulater
06-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Why would Meyer walk into a situation where the team is likely to be on probation and ineligible for bowl games for several years, and be stripped of multiple scholarships?

Maybe two or three years down the road he might consider it, but I see little to no chance of him taking the helm at OSU anytime before 2013.

suitanim
06-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Why would Meyer walk into a situation where the team is likely to be on probation and ineligible for bowl games for several years, and be stripped of multiple scholarships?

Maybe two or three years down the road he might consider it, but I see little to no chance of him taking the helm at OSU anytime before 2013.
The job won't even be available until AFTER next season. And I'm not entirely convinced that there will be all these sanctions. It looks like the University is going to pin this all on Tress, and if they can prove that this wasn't a system-wide breech, the program may be spared some of the harsher penalties. I thought it was interesting that when Meyer gave his obligatory "coach-speak" answer, he said he wasn't interested in coaching anywhere THIS FALL.

Could be Stoops, though...

zulater
06-01-2011, 01:23 PM
The job won't even be available until AFTER next season. And I'm not entirely convinced that there will be all these sanctions. It looks like the University is going to pin this all on Tress, and if they can prove that this wasn't a system-wide breech, the program may be spared some of the harsher penalties. I thought it was interesting that when Meyer gave his obligatory "coach-speak" answer, he said he wasn't interested in coaching anywhere THIS FALL.

Could be Stoops, though...

I don't see how they can give them less than what was given to USC? In fact I think they are in line for more.

suitanim
06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't see how they can give them less than what was given to USC? In fact I think they are in line for more.
USC's violations had tentacles through the whole organization. Remember that the WORST thing USC did was "lose institutional control". The key is that in USC's case, the NCAA looked at the entire organization and found a systemic problem. Those were allegations of agents making payments to players across multiple sports (Bush: Football, Mayo: Basketball) Nobody has made that determination about OSU yet, and it's quite likely a good deal of this will simply be dumped onto Tressel's lap.

zulater
06-01-2011, 05:26 PM
USC's violations had tentacles through the whole organization. Remember that the WORST thing USC did was "lose institutional control". The key is that in USC's case, the NCAA looked at the entire organization and found a systemic problem. Those were allegations of agents making payments to players across multiple sports (Bush: Football, Mayo: Basketball) Nobody has made that determination about OSU yet, and it's quite likely a good deal of this will simply be dumped onto Tressel's lap.

I don't know, but I think they're certainly skirting right along that fault line of institutional control when it comes to Terrell Pryor. From what I understand anytime an athlete gets a new car it's supposed to be reported to the compliance officer. And if he's not reporting it to the compliance officer and the coaches aren't asking him about them, then that in my opinion would qualify as lacking in instintutional control. And judging by the fact that right in the middle of this swirling contraversy dumb ass Pryor drives a z car complete with rims to a team activity yesterday I'm guessing that the coaches and or the compliance officer didn't exercise due diligence in regards to Mr Pyror's activities. Also it's been reported that he's heisted all sorts of equipment out of the locker room, which he then used as swag to obtain other goods, again I'm guessing that many a blind eye was turned by the people who ought to have known better.

Maybe I'm wrong, but when this is all said and done I predict that the Buckeyes will lose a multitude of scholarships and be banned from bowl games for several years. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, that's just the sense I have about this.

But I will opine this, I do believe that OSU should be forced to vacate all their wins from last season. Once it came to light that Tressell knowingly covered up information that would have led to suspensions of key players going into the season that should be enough to invalidate their wins.

st33lersguy
06-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Tressel should sign on with USC or the Bungals, he'd be a perfect fit

Nadroj 20
06-01-2011, 07:32 PM
With everything that has come to light RIGHT NOW. I do not think OSU should get hit as hard as USC, but with that being said...there is still plenty more that COULD be discovered about pryor and stuff like that, so it is possible for them to get hit extremely hard. Thats my opinion anyway.

SteelCityMan786
06-01-2011, 08:12 PM
With everything that has come to light RIGHT NOW. I do not think OSU should get hit as hard as USC, but with that being said...there is still plenty more that COULD be discovered about pryor and stuff like that, so it is possible for them to get hit extremely hard. Thats my opinion anyway.

This is far worse then what happened at USC. OSU's scandal makes USC look tame by comparison.

zulater
06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/06/01/ohio-state-pryor-cars.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

This guy sure is hard not to dislike.

Nadroj 20
06-01-2011, 11:11 PM
This is far worse then what happened at USC. OSU's scandal makes USC look tame by comparison.

How? The players that sold merchandise have already been suspended and the guy who kept everything a big secret is gone. So unless more information comes to light..how is this far worse then a school who commited multiple violations in more sports then just football?

zulater
06-02-2011, 05:40 AM
How? The players that sold merchandise have already been suspended and the guy who kept everything a big secret is gone. So unless more information comes to light..how is this far worse then a school who commited multiple violations in more sports then just football?

How, because the new evidence is suggesting that 9 current players are involved in this at OSU, and that it goes back as far as 8 years with as many as 28 total players involved.

Nadroj 20
06-02-2011, 11:10 AM
My question is how this is way worse then USC? When did USC's violations suddenly become not that big a deal?

There is no way these violations make USC stuff look..."tame"

suitanim
06-02-2011, 11:44 AM
This is going to be pinned to Tressel. All of it. The amount that sticks will determine how badly OSU gets stung as a program.

By the way, ANYone who thinks this doesn't go on at EVERY major 1-A program, please email me, because I think the Nigerian President has an offer for you that you won't be able to refuse.

Oh, I'm done with Pryor, too. Out with Pryor...let's start the Braxton Miller era.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-02-2011, 11:54 AM
My question is how this is way worse then USC? When did USC's violations suddenly become not that big a deal?

There is no way these violations make USC stuff look..."tame"

I agree, Bush allegedly got more than $100k in benefits for he and his family, Joe McKnight may have got an SUV, Leinart and Jarrett are also suspected of receiving benefits and then you cross over into Basketball where OJ Mayo's handler was getting paid.

Sure, the OSU cars, ink, selling of team items may have been going on for years, but its not much worse if at all than USC. (IMO)

zulater
06-02-2011, 01:26 PM
This is going to be pinned to Tressel. All of it. The amount that sticks will determine how badly OSU gets stung as a program.

By the way, ANYone who thinks this doesn't go on at EVERY major 1-A program, please email me, because I think the Nigerian President has an offer for you that you won't be able to refuse.

Oh, I'm done with Pryor, too. Out with Pryor...let's start the Braxton Miller era.

Maybe with the exception of Stanford and the military academy's I would tend to agree with you.

suitanim
06-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Notre Dame as well...at least academically. The other 115 schools are fair game...

suitanim
06-03-2011, 05:41 AM
Pryor's attorney (Huh...I didn't have an attorney when I was in college!) fires back, explains cars...

http://www.ohio.com/sports/123085008.html

COLUMBUS: The lawyer for Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor has questioned the facts in a Sports Illustrated special report on the Buckeyes' NCAA problems, saying the story is ''90 percent wrong.''

Columbus attorney Larry James also said there is nothing out of the ordinary about the cars Pryor has driven or purchased.

''I think there's a misperception about Terrelle, there's a misperception about the overall program as brought about in part by the Sports Illustrated article that everybody's just taken to the bank,'' James said Thursday.

Aussie_steeler
06-03-2011, 06:22 AM
I was watching the Memorial Golf Tournament this morning and they interviewed Jack Nicklaus. ( OSU alum)

He has entered the debate by saying that Jim Tressel is essentially guilty of being an old school coach who tried to be a protective father figure for his players. Jack indicated that he believed that in todays internet / social media age that is was now impossible to hide anything from the media and ultimately Tressel was always going to be caught out.

My take on the interview was that Jack believed that Tressel was acting in an old school way that in essence has no real place in todays reality. Jack valued Tressels intent but also indicated that ultimately it was naive to think that he could believe that he could get away with it. Rules are rules therefore Tressel had to go.

Suit - is this a common view shared by the old school OSU fans. Good intent but ultimately foolish for the overall benefit of the program and will set the program back immeasurably.

suitanim
06-03-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't know...I think people are just in shock, and reflexively want to defend the good name of the university. Think about how widely and highly regarded Tress was: It was almost compulsory when describing him to talk about his integrity. This guy is no Lane Kiffin, yet, in the end, he sort of was.

I feel duped, to tell you the truth. It may in fact be the case that he's been doing this for a long time, even back at YSU. His intentions may be honorable, but in the end, what difference does it make? The outcomes are all the same...

Aussie_steeler
06-03-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't know...I think people are just in shock, and reflexively want to defend the good name of the university. Think about how widely and highly regarded Tress was: It was almost compulsory when describing him to talk about his integrity. This guy is no Lane Kiffin, yet, in the end, he sort of was.

I feel duped, to tell you the truth. It may in fact be the case that he's been doing this for a long time, even back at YSU. His intentions may be honorable, but in the end, what difference does it make? The outcomes are all the same...

Thanks Suit.

From my perspective I am wondering what impact this may now have on the supplemental draft. Will some OSU players now feel the need to jump from this ship and try their hand in the NFL

suitanim
06-03-2011, 04:32 PM
No, I don't see that happening. If they stayed, they'll stay, and in most cases, it should only cause their draft status to rise. I was really surprised to see how many '12 commits who could have bailed have decided to stay. That bodes well, at least so far.

I would, however, recommend that Pryor leave sooner rather than later. He's a better passer that Tebow, and may have a future in the NFL a few years from now. I'm sick of his antics and nonsense and just want to move on.

86WARD
09-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Colts hired him as a replay consultant...

Carolina Steelers
09-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Shouldnt he get a 5 game suspension like Prior? I think so he was the head coach and he lied to NCAA, I know he is in the NFL now but still he should get something.

suitanim
09-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Shouldnt he get a 5 game suspension like Prior? I think so he was the head coach and he lied to NCAA, I know he is in the NFL now but still he should get something.

That's not a bad observation. What he did was actually worse than what the players did.

Nadroj 20
09-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Should he though? He lost his job, it isn't like he was going to be allowed to coach if he didn't "resign". Pryor bailed out of the NCAA to avoid suspension so Goodell still hit him with it.

Tressell paid pretty severly when he lost his job. Something tells me a replay assistant doesn't make near as much as a head coaching job at a premier D-I school.

86WARD
09-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Same could be said about Pryor. I'm sure he took a pay cut going to the Raiders.

;)

Nadroj 20
09-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Same could be said about Pryor. I'm sure he took a pay cut going to the Raiders.

;)

:chuckle: You're probably right.

But there is a difference between being forced to leave and choosing to leave, so I think it is a little different situation, but I wouldn't be upset if they did suspend him a few games. Actually wouldn't surprise me all that much with Goodell calling the shots :lol:

suitanim
09-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Tressel can't start until week 7 because of the Pryor thing, so it looks like Goodell is reading these boards...

suitanim
09-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Should he though? He lost his job, it isn't like he was going to be allowed to coach if he didn't "resign". Pryor bailed out of the NCAA to avoid suspension so Goodell still hit him with it.

Tressell paid pretty severly when he lost his job. Something tells me a replay assistant doesn't make near as much as a head coaching job at a premier D-I school.

He "resigned" so OSU could save it's program. They pinned everything on him so they could escape the whole institution being culpable. And it worked.