PDA

View Full Version : Cook: Burress is worth a look

86WARD
05-29-2011, 12:39 PM
It makes perfect sense for the Steelers to at least look into bringing back Burress. Burress was the Steelers' No. 1 draft choice in 2000. He was a great teammate with them, productive on the field and popular off it. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger loved throwing to him. What a target Burress made. "I couldn't say one negative thing about him," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said of Burress in '09. "He was a quality kid. He never gave me anything but great effort on the field and in the classroom ... "I remember him crying at our meeting after the [AFC] championship game [after the '04 season] when he said goodbye because he knew it was his last meeting as a Steeler. He wasn't the only one crying because he was leaving."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11149/1149995-87.stm

86WARD
05-29-2011, 12:40 PM
I'd take him. El out. Burress in.

Craic
05-29-2011, 12:46 PM
IMO, that ship has sailed.

We have 3 young receivers and Hines to fill the first four spots. The 5th spot is not place Burress'll be happy with IMO.
I'd rather have Sweed that Burress at this point. Better someone with potential but on the verge of failing, then someone who had it all, and chose to throw it away.

GBMelBlount
05-29-2011, 01:18 PM
I would love to see Burress in the mix and I will trust the Steelers on making the right choice.

It sounds as though he was liked by coaches and players...

Imagine the fun Ben would have with Hines, Sanders, Wallace & Burress on the field at the same time....

Mach1
05-29-2011, 01:20 PM
I'd bet he'd be more productive than Sweed.

Godfather
05-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Depends on if he's more mature than his last stint.

The justice system was too hard on him...popping a cap in your own ass is stupid but shouldn't be a felony.

stillers4me
05-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Depends on if he's more mature than his last stint.

The justice system was too hard on him...popping a cap in your own ass is stupid but shouldn't be a felony.

Imagine the fun Ben would have with Hines, Sanders, Wallace & Burress on
the field at the same time....

Gotta agree with all of the above. Santonio would be my dream pick, but that's ship sunk deeper than the Titanic.

Edit: Actually my WR fantasy would be Larry Fitzgerald, but I would take Tone back in a nano second. I still can't believe we gave him away to the Jets for a cracker jack ring.

fansince'76
05-29-2011, 02:55 PM
No thanks.

HometownGal
05-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Noi and double noi. Nay, Nein, Nem, Nei - NO.

SteelerEmpire
05-29-2011, 03:36 PM
"Crazy Cook" speaks again...

BigNastyDefense
05-29-2011, 04:52 PM
He said after the 2004 AFC Championship Game that he didn't see himself back in Pittsburgh. He didn't want to be here. I highly doubt that changed. I don't want him here anyhow, he said the the Rooneys were racist and that he was never liked in Pittsburgh because of his skin color. Not to mention he is old and hasn't played football in a couple years.

And I don't think that the justice system was too hard on Burress. He was carrying a gun in New York City. It wasn't registered in the state of New York nor did he have a license to carry a concealed weapon in the state of New York. He was also carrying in an establishment that served liquor, which is also illegal. Then he discharged the firearm within city limits, breaking another law. He's lucky he only shot himself. If he would have shot someone else he's be in even bigger trouble.

Also, he was offered a pretty sweet deal where he would have spent only three months in prison. He turned it down because he didn't think that he would be indicted because he was a football star for the Giants and caught the TD that won them the Super Bowl. He should have taken the deal, instead he took his chances and ended up with his current stint in prison.

Nadroj 20
05-29-2011, 04:59 PM
I would love to have plax back. If the Steelers go for it then having wallace, ward, and plax as our top 3 would be nice!

I wouldn't see him being a huge problem off the field or on it for that matter. He has always had an attitude but it was never as bad as some of the characters in the league have.

I dont mind the idea at all

Steeldude
05-29-2011, 05:06 PM
please no. he didn't do anything when he was here why would he do anything now that he is slower and even less athletic?

i don't want to see the alligator-arming passes, the whining, the poor to average hands or the poor fundamentals.

solardave
05-29-2011, 05:09 PM
We don't need him anymore!!! Plenty of young talent waiting to tear the roof off of defenses we play.

zulater
05-29-2011, 05:19 PM
No. Plaxico was never a details guy, always late to meetings, wasn't very attentive in said meetings, cut off an occasional route etc... You can get by with that with an abundance of talent at 25, not so much at 34 two years out of the league.

Nadroj 20
05-29-2011, 05:20 PM
The title does say "worth a look"

I dont see how it can hurt us if we were to get him. If we do not get him I won't be playing the "oh my if only we had plax" game all year, but looking isn't going to hurt imo

Count Steeler
05-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Don't think a look would hurt, but gotta watch the chemistry in the locker room. Sweed is young and hungry and hopefully ready to prove himself. Don't know where Burress's head is at. Resolute and ready to redeem himself, or cocky and proud with a chip on his shoulder. If the latter, bye bye.

The Duke
05-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Yeah, never gonna happen. At most a guy they'll have on the emergency list in case of injuries

This team already has young receivers with a lot of potential and a great mentor in Hines. They don't need a headcase like Burress ruining that

If they do take a look at him I can guarantee it would be for emergency purposes only

Hindes204
05-29-2011, 06:35 PM
No

That is all

SteelerFanInStl
05-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Nope. I like Hines and the young guys that we have.

steeldawg
05-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Worth a look for sure...If he can play at the level he was playing when he went away he would be huge addition to the offense.

Shoes
05-29-2011, 08:21 PM
No thanks! I think Cook should move to Ohio and find a team to write about there......

X-Terminator
05-29-2011, 08:26 PM
No, and Ron "Kook" should be suplexed by James Harrison for even thinking of suggesting such a thing.

steel striker
05-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Not to mention all Burris did was complain about not getting the ball enough in that 04 afccg. If my memory is correct he dropped an easy td pass that game as well. I say no thanks and, I like the wr's we have and, like Preacher said let's see what Sweed can do if there is a season.

JayC
05-29-2011, 09:22 PM
i'd take him if he can still play. that being said i like the WR's we have and i'd rather us use any free agent money we have a CB or some area of concern.

SteelGhost
05-29-2011, 09:58 PM
We are set with the WR's corps.... this guy Cook just wrote this piece of.... to call our attention .... AGAIN... LOL!

st33lersguy
05-30-2011, 06:22 AM
No thank you. He was average at best in his first stint

SMR
05-30-2011, 09:10 AM
We are set with the WR's corps.... this guy Cook just wrote this piece of.... to call our attention .... AGAIN... LOL!

I agree. Cook ain't right in the head!

suitanim
05-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Oh HEEELLLL no!

The worst thing that could happen was he could have some success...then he'd be out on market again asking for way more money than the Steelers would pay (or he would actually deserve) and he would once again abandon the team that brought him to that point again.

fansince'76
05-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Oh HEEELLLL no!

The worst thing that could happen was he could have some success...then he'd be out on market again asking for way more money than the Steelers would pay (or he would actually deserve) and he would once again abandon the team that brought him to that point again.

Or he could alligator arm another sure TD catch in the AFCCG and then piss and moan in the locker room afterward about how he "ain't gettin' enough touches" again.

Let him take his falling-asleep-in-team-meetings-piss-poor-attitude ass to some other team. Besides, I thought Pittsburgh was "too racist" for him anyway.

steelerdude15
05-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Our WR core is set, we don't not need him.