PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Coaches, Not the Secondary, Should Be Blamed for Super Bowl Loss

SteelerEmpire
05-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Article:

..."In last year's playoffs, the New York Jets did two huge favors for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Pittsburgh Steelers took advantage of one of them. In a monumental upset, the New York Jets went into New England and eliminated one of Pittsburgh's biggest bullies from contention. In doing so they employed one of the greatest defensive strategies for beating quarterbacks like Brady, Brees and Rodgers"...

LINK: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/714197-steelers-coaches-not-the-secondary-should-be-blamed-for-super-bowl-loss

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/231/239/109136726_crop_650x440.jpg?1306527181

suitanim
05-28-2011, 09:27 AM
The Steelers lost that game because of turnovers. They won every statistical category but two: TO's and the final tally on the scoreboard.

Edman
05-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Green Bay Turnovers: 0

Pittsburgh Turnovers: 3 (Turned into 21 Green Bay Points)

That's why the Steelers lost XLV. I don't care who you are, you're not going to beat many teams in the NFL losing the turnover battle, let alone in the Super Bowl. We still had our chances to win despite it and we still only lost by six. Green Bay are the champs and they earned it. That's the bottom line. Shut up and move on.

*Flushes Topic*

Count Steeler
05-28-2011, 11:16 AM
3 Turnovers. A stupid special teams penalty on Keryan Fox. A bad 2 minute drill from the offense.

If we did not gift wrap the game for the Packers, they would have been blown out of the Stadium. I'm hoping there is a season this year and we get to go back. Redemption is not complete yet.

stillers4me
05-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Yep..21 points form turnovers. Buuuuttt........if we had held them to FG's we would have won that game. Again, we would have won that game even with 3 turnovers if the secondary had held them to FG's.

Godfather
05-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Yep..21 points form turnovers. Buuuuttt........if we had held them to FG's we would have won that game. Again, we would have won that game even with 3 turnovers if the secondary had held them to FG's.

Agree, it was a team effort. The defense also could have stopped that last time-consuming drive.

But you can't blame the coaches for Troy's Achilles tendon. And Vince Lombardi couldn't win a Super Bowl with McFadden/Gay at one of the corner positions.

fansince'76
05-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Surprise - another lazily written blog from Bleacher Report. Blaming the coaches is a pretty easy way out, and not entirely accurate, unless you can pin 3 turnovers on the coaching staff as well.

suitanim
05-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Surprise - another lazily written blog from Bleacher Report. Blaming the coaches is a pretty easy way out, and not entirely accurate, unless you can pin 3 turnovers on the coaching staff as well.

Weeeeeellllll....Bruce Arians IS a pretty tempting target....I mean, remember, he DOES call all the plays that DON'T work, and Ben calls all the ones that do. Amazingly, only the fans have figured that out, and not the coaches.

wvsportsman
05-28-2011, 01:44 PM
IF this , IF that, IF the dog didn't stop to take a shit, he may have caught the rabbit!! Game over.
Packers got the turnovers and made the best of them. I agree with Edman move on!
GO Steelers, hopefully, IF there is a season..

Craic
05-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Weeeeeellllll....Bruce Arians IS a pretty tempting target....I mean, remember, he DOES call all the plays that DON'T work, and Ben calls all the ones that do. Amazingly, only the fans have figured that out, and not the coaches.

I was wondering how long it'd be before Arians's name came up.:chuckle:

I wonder. Ben threw two interceptions because he wanted to? Because he was a bad QB? Or because the GB defense forced him into it?
My vote is the last. That means, we give credit to the GB defensive coaches and players.

It is amazing that people believe the Steelers, or any other team, should simply win every game and if they don't, it's their teams fault, not the fact that the other team may beat them.

Both teams had key injuries. In the end, the injury to our SS and one of our young money receivers proved to be too much, and we lost. They overcame the injury to their starting CB, amongst others, and won.

Not sure why people wanna blame the coaches now.

polamalubeast
05-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Fire Tomlin,Hire Brad Childress:coffee::coffee::coffee::rolleyes:

Steeldude
05-29-2011, 02:35 AM
it's the fault of the players and the coaches. i can't say i remember much about that pathetic display of a SB, but if i recall correctly the offense looked like another grab-bag and the defense was rather passive for the most part.

did the steelers' offensive game plan involve miller at all?

suitanim
05-29-2011, 07:30 AM
I was wondering how long it'd be before Arians's name came up.:chuckle:

I wonder. Ben threw two interceptions because he wanted to? Because he was a bad QB? Or because the GB defense forced him into it?
My vote is the last. That means, we give credit to the GB defensive coaches and players.

It is amazing that people believe the Steelers, or any other team, should simply win every game and if they don't, it's their teams fault, not the fact that the other team may beat them.

Both teams had key injuries. In the end, the injury to our SS and one of our young money receivers proved to be too much, and we lost. They overcame the injury to their starting CB, amongst others, and won.

Not sure why people wanna blame the coaches now.

I thought we had a very solid gameplan on the offensive side of the ball. Execution of that gameplan? Ehhhh...not quite so good.

XxKnightxX
05-29-2011, 10:47 AM
it's the fault of the players and the coaches. i can't say i remember much about that pathetic display of a SB, but if i recall correctly the offense looked like another grab-bag and the defense was rather passive for the most part.

did the steelers' offensive game plan involve miller at all?

Who? I emailed BA and he said he never heard of him. He said he doesnt like fullbacks.

tube517
05-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Bleacher report :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Article:

..."In last year's playoffs, the New York Jets did two huge favors for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Pittsburgh Steelers took advantage of one of them. In a monumental upset, the New York Jets went into New England and eliminated one of Pittsburgh's biggest bullies from contention. In doing so they employed one of the greatest defensive strategies for beating quarterbacks like Brady, Brees and Rodgers"...

LINK: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/714197-steelers-coaches-not-the-secondary-should-be-blamed-for-super-bowl-loss

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/231/239/109136726_crop_650x440.jpg?1306527181

zulater
05-29-2011, 11:38 AM
What a poorly written column. :doh:

As for me, I don't blame the coaches for the Super Bowl loss, but I don't absolve them either. They had a part in both the successes and failures of the day, just as the players did. I think if you put it to the coaching staff whether they did a good enough job that day, to a man I'd wager they'd say no, and mean it.

HometownGal
05-29-2011, 04:07 PM
The Steelers lost that game because of turnovers. They won every statistical category but two: TO's and the final tally on the scoreboard.

And B-I-N-G-O is his name-o.

The game is over, the Steelers gave the Packers a gift-wrapped Lombardi and we move on.

stillers4me
05-29-2011, 04:14 PM
This why I never post articles from Bleacher Report.