PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison speaks out

stillers4me
05-25-2011, 10:24 PM
What’s Really Going On?

May 26, 2011jharrison9292 (http://jharrison9292.wordpress.com/author/jharrison9292/)Leave a comment (http://jharrison9292.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/whats-really-going-on/#respond)Go to comments (http://jharrison9292.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/whats-really-going-on/#comments)

What’s Really Going On?

It’s been weighing heavy on my mind all day, so I figure I might as well just let it out. I want to make it clear that I am all for player safety. I don’t disagree with all of the rule changes.

But come on…REALLY? Now you have to wait until a guy catches, or even worse, you have to let them catch the ball before you can even attempt to tackle him. Along with that, you cannot let any part of your helmet or facemask touch any part of them basically from the chest up. If you are following the letter of the rules exactly, now most tackles, if not ALL tackles can be flagged, fined and/or result in ejection from that game, or future game(s).

I understand the intent behind making the rules, but in their attempt to make the game safer, they are actually clouding what is allowable. Even the referees are confused. A close look will show you that the referees were calling things that were not even supposed to be called, and NOT calling things that were actually illegal...........

Read more @ http://jharrison9292.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/whats-really-going-on/

steeldevil
05-25-2011, 10:34 PM
I wish someone (a player/coach/owner) would just come out and say what most of us already know. That Goodell really doesn't care about player safety and is just making these rules in an attempt to take away defense and increase the scoring of games. Goodell Castro then hopes that this increased scoring will lead to more viewers and thus more money.

Thats all he cares about is money. He doesn't care that he is ruining the game....

I wish someone connected to the league would out come out and say it before its too late...

The Duke
05-26-2011, 02:32 AM
I wish someone (a player/coach/owner) would just come out and say what most of us already know. That Goodell really doesn't care about player safety and is just making these rules in an attempt to take away defense and increase the scoring of games. Goodell Castro then hopes that this increased scoring will lead to more viewers and thus more money.

Thats all he cares about is money. He doesn't care that he is ruining the game....

I wish someone connected to the league would out come out and say it before its too late...

That would mean having someone working close to Goodell that has balls. As far as I know no one has. At least not anyone close enough to him

If james comes out and says that he'd just get a stupid fine

memphissteelergirl
05-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Please see signature below....

That is all.

HometownGal
05-26-2011, 10:41 AM
The new NFFL - National Flag Football League. That is what Goodumbo is turning the NFL into. :doh: Football is a fiercely passionate and physical game - take those two elements out of it and it will die.

Devilsdancefloor
05-26-2011, 11:54 AM
james hit it on the head on all accounts. glad he is speaking out about this hopefully there are others that will as well.

stillers4me
05-26-2011, 02:54 PM
You can register and leave a comment. James needs our support! (and don't forget to mention steelersuniverse.com at the end of the comment!)

SteelerSal
05-26-2011, 02:55 PM
You can register and leave a comment. James needs our support! (and don't forget to mention steelersuniverse.com at the end of the comment!)

:thumbsup:

Chidi29
05-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Just listened to Harrison's interview on NFL live. I don't think Harrison understands some of the changes.

He seems to be most unhappy about the hits to the head that he was called for last year. They're actually loosening the rules on those hits and trying to help the players out.

Chidi29
05-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Reading what Harrison wrote, I had just read the article today, two things stand out.

One, Harrison needs to stop talking. Just like with Mendenhall, this isn't doing any good. Is anything going to change by calling the NFL owners/Goodell "idiots" or saying you don't have any respect for them? Will that help give you the benefit of the doubt in any future ruling, when a lot of the fines and penalties come down to intent? And publicly trashing the league isn't doing you any favors.

Two, Harrison still does not understand the new rule change even after acknowledging it. He writes.

"The quarterback rule clarification (Rule 12, Section 2, Article 13) is a great change. But that’s just saying “Hey Steelers..by the way…Ben’s nose getting broken last year really did not deserve a penalty.”

No, that is not the case. Here is what the rule change is.

"Finally, the NFL has adopted changes to the rule prohibiting contact to a quarterback’s head. As I’m sure many fans are aware, under the old rule a defender would be penalized if he so much as tapped a quarterback on the helmet. That was certainly an infuriating call; it has happened to a few Bears over the years, most notably Brian Urlacher and Julius Peppers. Now, officials will be able to use their judgement whether contact to the helmet was intentional or accidental, and if the contact was considered “grazing”, no penalty would be called."

What Ngata did was not "grazing". It could still easily be, and should, be called a penalty in all future instances.

I'm with Harrison on the need for clarity. Which is why the NFL has wised up and doing this in the offseason. Now, everyone has time to digest, understand, and comply with the rules.