PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward tops in receptions last 10 yrs

Carolina Steelers
05-25-2011, 09:23 PM
I would have never guessed this i knew he would be high on the list but not #1

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/05/25/data-points-ward-tops-in-receptions-last-10-years/?module=HP_cp2

GBMelBlount
05-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Amazing. I had no idea.

Statistically, quite a cluster of well knowns in a pretty tight range.

Is Hines the most talented of this group? Perhaps not.

However, Hines heart is second to none.

steeldevil
05-25-2011, 10:26 PM
That is shocking to me. I would not have thought he would be at #1 in that category. Top 10? Yea. #1? That is a little surprising to me.

86WARD
05-25-2011, 10:36 PM
That's a surprise to me...

86WARD
05-25-2011, 10:37 PM
http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dp_most_receptions_02.jpg?w=585&h=393

oneforthetoe
05-26-2011, 01:41 AM
Great numbers by Hines. Two of those on this list do have more total catches than Hines. He will not catch Tony Gonzalez or TO in total catches. However, all of these guys are kind of in the twilight of their careers. In fact, I don't see a single person on that list, save for Wayne, with more than a one (maybe 2 ) 80 catch seasons left. Wayne, of course, besides being just 32, plays in one of the pass happiest offense in NFL history.

If Hines stays healthy, and there is a season, he should break the 1000 catch plateau. Currently, he sits tied for 9th with Moss at 954 catches. Ironically, Moss and Hines came into the league at the time and how many would now believe they have the same number of catches?

Still if you combine Hines' reception numbers with his blocking skills and his SB MVP, he has a great case for enshrinement to the Hall.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_career.htm

st33lersguy
05-26-2011, 07:34 AM
He's a champion and a winner, what else would we expect?

Merchant
05-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Interesting.. I never knew either.

steelerdude15
05-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Yay for Hines!

Psycho Ward 86
05-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Wow! completely unexpected! And i thought Marvin Harrison wouldve been a gimme, guess those flameout years didnt help his catch total much...

zulater
05-26-2011, 04:32 PM
This should end all argument about whether or not Hines is a Hall of Famer. First off from the intangible standpoint Hines has always seperated himself from the pack, but now we see as a receiver he takes a back seat to no one, even if he doesn't have the the acclaim of the diva me first types that put up numbers, but often degrade their teams by polluting the locker room.

SMR
05-26-2011, 04:58 PM
This should end all argument about whether or not Hines is a Hall of Famer. First off from the intangible standpoint Hines has always seperated himself from the pack, but now we see as a receiver he takes a back seat to no one, even if he doesn't have the the acclaim of the diva me first types that put up numbers, but often degrade their teams by polluting the locker room.

Bravo!

NJarhead
05-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Okay, now that I've plastered that all over the W.W.W, thanks for sharing! :chuckle: :tt03:

SMR
05-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Okay, now that I've plastered that all over the W.W.W, thanks for sharing! :chuckle: :tt03:

lol

Count Steeler
05-26-2011, 05:59 PM
And he can dance!

Great stat to support Hines claim to the Hall. Sure hope they also consider his blocking abilities and the way he can knock bigger LBs right on their asses.

NJarhead
05-26-2011, 06:12 PM
One of my buddies responded to this on my FB page with, "And he just won DWTS!....twinkle toes." To which I replied, "Yep and he's never shot himself in the leg either....not even once." haha

dislocatedday
05-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Considering the NFL has been a pass-heavy league for the last decade, Hines being #1 in receptions should not only guarantee his place in the HOF, but he should be a first ballot one in my book. 2 SB wins with a MVP award, plus being considered the best blocking WR ever on top of that............what else does he have to do to cement himself? I remember when many Steelers fans claimed the team should have kept Burress back in 2005 and let Ward go the way of free agency. I think everyone agrees now that the Steelers made the wise choice.

Carolina Steelers
05-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Considering the NFL has been a pass-heavy league for the last decade, Hines being #1 in receptions should not only guarantee his place in the HOF, but he should be a first ballot one in my book. 2 SB wins with a MVP award, plus being considered the best blocking WR ever on top of that............what else does he have to do to cement himself? I remember when many Steelers fans claimed the team should have kept Burress back in 2005 and let Ward go the way of free agency. I think everyone agrees now that the Steelers made the wise choice.

I agree with this.

steel striker
05-26-2011, 09:50 PM
What a football player this guy is and, I hope can play another fiver years at a high level.

tihmtahm
05-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Wow!!! I was just telling my wife yesterday, while Hines won't set any records, he is the best blocking receiver to play the game. This is a great achievement. We're blessed to have a guy of his caliber and character as a player on the Steelers!